• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen The PokéEggs!

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
When two compatible pokemon go to the day-care center together, they're able to produce pokemon eggs. Pokemon eggs is a new concept introduced to Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal!

egg.png

When you first get an egg, you'll notice in it's status screen how it's doing. Based on the number of steps it'll take, it'll start to shake more and more, in which eventually, it'll hatch into a basic level 5 pokemon! For example, you'd receive an egg from Professor Elm's aide, and it'll hatch into a level 5 Togepi.

What's interesting is that there are newly introduced "baby" pokemon from certain pokemon that are only born from hatching their egg, which includes:

172.gif
173.gif
174.gif
236.gif
238.gif
239.gif
240.gif

That being said... What do you think of this new Pokemon Egg concept? What kinds of memorable pokemon do you remember hatching from eggs? Do you use the pokemon that you hatch from eggs on pokemon teams? Feel free to share thoughts!

milk!

oh yeah!
Years
I thought Eggs were the COOLEST THING when they first released! One of my favorite memories from Pokemon Crystal was wondering which baby Pokemon I got from my first egg. Hatching eggs was also very relaxing to me, and a great thing to do while watching shows (lol). When I was a kid I didn't really use the Pokemon I hatched from eggs, I just thought it was cool to breed Pokemon. Nowadays, I try and hatch the perfect Pokemon for battle.

Sirfetch’d

By far the best feature ever introduced in the game. It completely evolved the series imo. Breeding is SO huge now and no one would have expected that from this haha.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
I recall hatching a Shiny Cleffa from the Crystal version! It really made my day! ^^

Not to mention the addition of Egg Moves is great, it gets better as generations come and go. :)

Pokelovar

*Rushes to catch legendaries*
Years
I recall hatching a Shiny Cleffa from the Crystal version! It really made my day! ^^

Not to mention the addition of Egg Moves is great, it gets better as generations come and go. :)
On my second playthrough, I too got a Shiny Cleffa...
In my third and current, I got an Elekid (disappointed neither were Shiny)

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
On my second playthrough, I too got a Shiny Cleffa...
In my third and current, I got an Elekid (disappointed neither were Shiny)

You are still lucky for receiving an Elekid that early!
Elekid comes in handy, as Electabuzz in only available post-game! Not to mention it learns the 'Tri-punches' as well!

I would like to hatch a Pichu, but I didn't have that luck. XD

Pokelovar

*Rushes to catch legendaries*
Years
Pichu was what I wanted too..
But ye, Electabuzz learns some nice moves, so I'm satisfied..

Reactions: Sun
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I loved the breeding concept, though I didn't do nearly as much of it in GSC as I did in later generations. It marked the first time that it became possible to get more of certain Pokemon in a single playthrough, like the starters. I also liked using it for filling out my Eeveelution collection, and I liked the baby Pokemon (especially Pichu). While I didn't understand the idea of passing on IVs/DVs at that point, I did learn about breeding different movesets onto my Pokemon, and thought that egg moves were pretty great.

In Crystal, I got a Pichu (non-shiny) from my gifted egg, which was the Pokemon I wanted. (I had used Pikachu on my Gold team, and wanted one sooner to use in Crystal.) I actually didn't know about the elevated chances of getting a shiny from those eggs until several years after the fact, as neither my friend nor myself had hatched a shiny (and I think my friend reset the egg and picked it up again multiple times to get a different Pokemon from it).

Breeding saved me when I decided to quickly make teams on Silver to tackle Pokemon Stadium 2 (and the original Stadium) after my Gold died and took a lot of my Pokemon with it. A couple of egg moves + some punch TMs from the Goldenrod Department Store, and I was ready to take on the world!

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I loved the introduction of baby Pokémon so much! Even though they don't really have any uses other than being cute, I love the addition. Pichu, Cleffa, Igglybuff, and Smoochum are my favorites, but I think Magby is really cute too. I never really bred in GSC other than once or twice to get a Pichu I think, though hahah.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 7, 2021
I liked the breeding but I think they put in too many baby pokemon because they were just gimmick pokemon to promote the feature of breeding. They should have put more baby pokemon for Gen II pokemon instead of Gen I.

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
Years
I may not be fully familiar with breeding/inheriting moves, but I can very well appreciate duplicating/gaining new pokemon via sex. I always go out of my way to catch a Ditto when planning to breed.

Also, I give my respects to Togepi, Elekid, Magby and Pichu. The rest are slightly less admired.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
Years
Eggs were one of the best new features of GSC.

I remember hatching all of the baby Pokémon to complete my Pokédex - which was pretty much my only use for eggs at the time. I really didn't know anything about the whole breeding system or what it would eventually become for the franchise, but I do recall riding my bike back and forth through Goldenrod trying to hatch Pokémon eggs like a madman. It's one of my fonder memories... haha.

...and I never got a shiny Pokémon in Crystal. Still bummed over that.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Loved that feature, and during my recent playthrough of Pokemon Gold I used the breeding feature to get the baby Pokemon to fill up my Pokedex.

I read that Pokemon hatched from the eggs have higher happiness (please correct me if I'm wrong) compared with normal ones you caught in the wild (unless you use a Friend Ball), so that's better in my book.

Back