• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Anyone else complete the Dex?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 27, 2022
The thing is, to get all the event legendaries, the only way I could do it was to use action replay to get the respective event items (Liberty Pass, Azure Flute, etc.) in Black, HeartGold or Platinum, and then face off against the legit Pokemon from the event.

Since I wasn't playing Pokemon at the release of Gen IV/V I didn't get the chance to do the events normally.

Was I OK doing this, or is it pretty much cheating?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I completed the Kalos Dex but not the national one. Only time I did was in Pearl.

The thing is, to get all the event legendaries, the only way I could do it was to use action replay to get the respective event items (Liberty Pass, Azure Flute, etc.) in Black, HeartGold or Platinum, and then face off against the legit Pokemon from the event.

Since I wasn't playing Pokemon at the release of Gen IV/V I didn't get the chance to do the events normally.

Was I OK doing this, or is it pretty much cheating?
Idk, personally I think it's fine in gens 5 or older since the events have long since passed and WiFi no longer works for the DS (games). I used an Action Replay too when completing the National Dex in Pearl because it was physically impossible for me to get like Arceus, Shaymin, etc, otherwise.

In Gen VI there's still WiFi so the GTS and stuff makes things a lot easier, and they still do events for this gen so we still get chances to get even 'mons.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 27, 2022
In Gen VI there's still WiFi so the GTS and stuff makes things a lot easier, and they still do events for this gen so we still get chances to get even 'mons.

Yeah, hopefully over the next few years all the event Pokemon will get another distribution, or appear in a game, so they're available to everyone :)

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Nope, not me. I did think about attempting to complete my Dex, but at the end, I wound up deciding not to. It's a very time-consuming task, and I don't feel it'd be worth it for me to put that much effort into this, although it would give me a sense of accomplishment and whatnot.

The last time I had tried finishing up with my PokéDex was in Emerald, which was nearly half-a-decade ago, or maybe more.

Meng Jiaxin

Dragonlord of the Seas
Years
I have a complete living dex from X, which is now stored in the PokeBank for future completion use. Basically, I managed to get everything except Meloetta, with legendaries and mythicals passed on from previous gens. I cannot remember how long it took though, since I've recently reset my game to do a duolocke.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I completed the Pokedex around January 2014 because that is when I obtained the shiny charm and hatched my first bred shiny, Pumpkaboo. I started on a living Pokedex when ORAS released, but I only completed Kanto. Felt it was too much effort getting first stages and not fully evolved.

Cloudy J

Cloud Queen
Years
  • Age 24
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 16, 2018
Let's see, I finished the dex in Y not long after Pokemon Bank finally got released again (Because it was available in Japan briefly at its original release, I finished most of it beforehand by trading on the GTS) with the exception of a few event legendaries.
I was looking for people to trade with to get those events which is how I found this site initially and I got those around February last year.
I then started a living dex and completed gen I before ORAS was released.
After finishing Omega Ruby I started working on the living dex again and got to somewhere around the start of gen V before getting bored and I stopped playing Pokemon for a few months, a few weeks ago I went back to it and finished the living dex, thus completing my national dex on OR at the same time a few days ago

OffRoadSP

Still working on Sun & Moon...
Years
Almost 2 years and 550+ hours later and... well, you can likely see my progress in my signature. I do plan on completing the Kalos Dex (minus Zygarde of course) before challenging the Elite Four. I take it one step further though... Complete the regional Dex AND get one of each evolutionary line up to level 50 (or the level of its final evolution, whichever is higher). I've completed that goal for the Central Pokedex, and am now working on the Coastal.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
Years
I did. After I did everything else in Pokemon Y, I caught every Pokemon available in the game. I filled in the blanks from Alpha Sapphire next. Then, I had quite a few from Wonder Trade so I bred and evolved to fill in the rest of the blanks.
The only issues were Event Legendaries and Minccino/Cinccino whose Friend Safari I didn't have. After finally finding Minccino in a Mirage Spot, I used the QR code hack for the Event Legendaries and the few Pokemon I had to replay the game for (I was not about to play Y two more times for the other two Legendary Birds. One more time was okay, but two more times would have been too tedious at the time).

If I end up with enough free time in the future, I plan on starting from scratch (saving my Pokemon in Bank, of course) and trying to get all of them again, without Wonder Trade.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
I did for the first time in the series yesterday. Luckily I had a lot of Pokemon stored on my Gen 5 games.

I collected all the non-event Pokemon except 1, evolved my Misdreavus right in front of Sycamore and then got the Shiny Charm. My last Pokemon was Mismagius.

I got 712 overall as someone lent me a few event Pokemon.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
Years
  • Age 33
  • PA
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
i'm only missing 32 pokemon for my pokedex: kaledo and meloetta and genesect.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 6, 2015
Yep, have a complete and living pokedex ( living except event pokemon, which are registered). Not sure how long it took, maybe about a month. The most difficult part was finding someone willing to trust me to trade back their event pokemon and waiting for GTS to post legendaries I could trade for, sometimes getting duplicates just for other legendary trades.

Why did I do it? What else am I going to do after I get through the post-game besides complete the dex and make a competitive team.

Years
I did, but only because I completed it in ORAS and temporarily transferred them all over. I probably would have completed it in XY first but I stopped playing for quite a while and didn't pick it up again until I'd finished ORAS.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 21, 2024
I've been completing it since HGSS. If you do it once it gets repeatedly easier each game because everything can just be transferred over. Now I even have a live pokedex with one of each species so I don't have to evolve/breed anything

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
This was such a fun project for me and it was made really easy once I got Pokémon Bank, considering I completed my PokéDex in its entirety (and had every single Pokémon) in my Pearl Version. It does kinda take the fun out of it though, considering I have every single Pokémon except Hoopla and Volcanion sitting in my Bank. :\

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 2, 2016
Only ever completed it once and that was back in Pokémon Red. Never had the patience to be able to do it again! I reckon I'll try it maybe one more time. Maybe once we reach Gen X or something. Just to say I've went out and cause well over 1000 Pokémon haha

Psychic

Really and truly
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2018
I finished a complete Living Dex back in November (link in my sig)! It took me many months and a ton of Pokemon games and GTS trades, but it feels so satisfying. The next step is to get every form of every Pokemon, and I've completed a fair amount of that.

~Psychic

Back