• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon: Onyx Version

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years

It's only for people to post looking for help. You provide a method of contact so another member can contact you willing to help you.
Oh, okay then. I guess I'll have to wait till someone replies...

Anyway; on topic:

I've been trying to learn RGSS. It's hard, I must say. Mainly been working on the dual screen script. I've made a script, when I test my game; it has no errors, and the game plays normally. But the screen doesn't change a bit from what it normally looks like.

Spoiler:

Theres the current code, could someone with skills in RGSS look over it for me and give me some tips, please? Also, some of the code was taken from other scripts.

Last edited:

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
The name seems confusing. Onix.. Onyx..

You definetly need to scale back your ideas. Having all regions and whatnot is a crazy task. Its highly unlikely that you'll ever finish.

Set your sights on one region. Then expand from there if you still have the sprit.

Good luck on your project :)

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years
The name seems confusing. Onix.. Onyx..

You definetly need to scale back your ideas. Having all regions and whatnot is a crazy task. Its highly unlikely that you'll ever finish.

Set your sights on one region. Then expand from there if you still have the sprit.

Good luck on your project :)
The names likely to changed ;)

And yeah, maybe one other Region, like Hoenn. Hoenn is my favourite Region so far. Then if I still wanna do it. I'll add the other 3.

Years
Nice effort but don't you think traveling to space is a bit to much to think about now.
And all those Regions? Set a few goals for your game now that ain't to hard, and if you think you got what it takes to make your game that good do it. But by looking at the little progress you've done and the mistakes you've made in those screenies i don't think nows a good time to set out features for your game that most likely wont come along.

Though i like your effort keep working on it and never give up.

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years
Nice effort but don't you think traveling to space is a bit to much to think about now.
And all those Regions? Set a few goals for your game now that ain't to hard, and if you think you got what it takes to make your game that good do it. But by looking at the little progress you've done and the mistakes you've made in those screenies i don't think nows a good time to set out features for your game that most likely wont come along.

Though i like your effort keep working on it and never give up.
Traveling to Space will happen, probably once. In the Rocket Center in Hoenn, you go up there to explore strange happenings that the scientists found, and you meat some Pokemon up there.

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years
Update: I have an update!

I've decided to use Poccil's Pokemon Essentials. And I've been working on the Dual Screen thing, but I need help.

mio193.jpg

Well, I have 2 problems; first, that is the size I want of the screen. I want the bar to be in the middle, how would I do this. I'm still looking through codes. And secondly, how do I make maps only appear on the top screen? I'm not going to upload a screenshot, though.​

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
Nice, the starter kit will make it a lot easier to get your game completed if you're new to rpgmaker.

never worked with rmxp, so wouldn't know how to help you with the dual screen stuff.

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years
Nice, the starter kit will make it a lot easier to get your game completed if you're new to rpgmaker.

never worked with rmxp, so wouldn't know how to help you with the dual screen stuff.
Thanks. I am about to add Poccil to a Credits part in the first page (Been busy since I posted update).

EDIT: Updated first page.

Last edited:

me2hack

Graphics Artist
Years
  • Seen Mar 12, 2011
But the bar in the Main script place this under Graphics.freeze.
Code:
    $bar=Sprite.new(@viewport)
    $bar.bitmap=BitmapCache.load_bitmap("Graphics/Pictures/spacer.png")
    $bar.x = 0
    $bar.y = Y
    $bar.z = 999999999
Put for the Y the half of the size in height. E.g You're screen is 480x720 than you just do 720 divided by 2 is 360.

As for making the map only on the top screen, just put a picture on the bottom screen so you don't see it. Do this just like the code I posted, just make sure you selected the right graphic. And put it right under the bar.

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
Years
You can't expect to make a dual screen just by resizing the screen to ds size which by the way is the wrong way to do it. Resize the screen to 784 height and 512 width then change the resize factor to 0.5. If you can't do this method then I would strongly suggest to learn how to code first before trying to make a dual screen out of the blues.

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years
You can't expect to make a dual screen just by resizing the screen to ds size which by the way is the wrong way to do it. Resize the screen to 784 height and 512 width then change the resize factor to 0.5. If you can't do this method then I would strongly suggest to learn how to code first before trying to make a dual screen out of the blues.
I did what you said and it didn't really do anything.. And by the way, I'm trying to learn RGSS as I go..

But the bar in the Main script place this under Graphics.freeze.
Code:
    $bar.x = 0
    $bar.y = Y
    $bar.z = 999999999
Put for the Y the half of the size in height. E.g You're screen is 480x720 than you just do 720 divided by 2 is 360.

As for making the map only on the top screen, just put a picture on the bottom screen so you don't see it. Do this just like the code I posted, just make sure you selected the right graphic. And put it right under the bar.
Thanks for trying to help, but this code doesn't work properly..

Code:
    $bar.x = 0
    $bar.y = 392
    $bar.z = 999999999
    $screen=Spriite.new(@veiwport)
    $screen.bitmap=BitmapCache.load_bitmap("Graphics/Pictures/bottom_screen.png")
    $screen.x = 0
    $screen.y = 398
    $screen.z = 99999999
I put it under Graphics.freeze in the Main script, it just gets this error:

---------------------------
Pokemon Onyx Version
Exception: NameError

Main:41:in `mainFunctionDebug'

Main:1 6:in `mainFunction'

Main:1 6:in `pbCriticalCode'

Main:1 6:in `mainFunction'

Main:59

Main:58:in `loop'

Main:67

This exception was logged in ./errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK
What does that mean?

me2hack

Graphics Artist
Years
  • Seen Mar 12, 2011

Code:
    $bar.x = 0
    $bar.y = 392
    $bar.z = 999999999
    $screen.x = 0
    $screen.y = 398
    $screen.z = 99999999

What does that mean?
You wrote $screen=Spriite.new, always check for spelling errors.

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
Years
I did what you said and it didn't really do anything.. And by the way, I'm trying to learn RGSS as I go..

Thanks for trying to help, but this code doesn't work properly..

Code:
    $bar.x = 0
    $bar.y = 392
    $bar.z = 999999999
    $screen.x = 0
    $screen.y = 398
    $screen.z = 99999999

What does that mean?

The method does work seeming as I have done it :P. You just need to learn how to do it.

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years
You wrote $screen=Spriite.new, always check for spelling errors.
Thanks for pointing that out. I'll fix it right now.

The method does work seeming as I have done it :P. You just need to learn how to do it.
Do I need to put the:

Code:
#------------------------------------------------------------------------
# * Bar
#      x : x-coordinate
#      y : y-coordinate
#------------------------------------------------------------------------
Or something like that? Or were you referring to my spelling?

EDIT: I guess it was just the spelling xD

EDIT 2: How do I move the position of the player on the screen to be in the middle of the top screen?

11snhc6.jpg

EDIT 3: What script do I change, so that it blocks off everything, and everything (Text) is on the top screen?

Last edited:

me2hack

Graphics Artist
Years
  • Seen Mar 12, 2011
Make a new script above main. Call it Fix, doesn't really matter. In it put $Graphics_height = 392
Then, go to Game_Player and replace every Graphics.height with $Graphics_height.
Do the same with the script PokeBattle_ActualScene, so that you can see it on the top screen.

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years
Make a new script above main. Call it Fix, doesn't really matter. In it put $Graphics_height = 392
Then, go to Game_Player and replace every Graphics.height with $Graphics_height.
Do the same with the script PokeBattle_ActualScene, so that you can see it on the top screen.
In Fix, do I only just put $Graphics_height = 392? Because, I tried that. And it didn't work.

Back