• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Shiny Gold!

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I remember... just sooo long ago, that Pokémon Shiny Gold was the reason I ended up first arriving here on PC, waaaaaay back in December 2007, before creating an account in January 2008 to download this FireRed hack. It was a remake of Pokémon Gold, and back during the days I first came to PC, Carlos (aka Zel or zel 2.0) was still active during that time.

During that time, he still had plans to release Beta 6, which was intended to contain the stuff all the way through to Pokémon Trainer Red. Then the final version was intended to contain the extra islands that he was planning to implement.

And he did keep coming back in 2009, then in 2010... but by then, his knowledge on ROM Hacking had kinda rusted, as he mentioned on his profile quite a while ago. Then his last ever day he ever logged in was... March 16th, 2011 at 12:31PM (in my timezone, but would be slightly different depending on your timezone). And that was the last we ever saw of him, and before his last day he ever logged in... he told us all how much he was addicted to MMORPGs.

Sad to say, but he has probably forgotten about PC by now, unless there is someone that knows him in real life that can actually remind him about PC. And if there is, and if he does ever return in the future, I would hope that he would pass on his ROM Hack to someone who is very active here on the forums.

But nowadays, since Zel started becoming inactive, many Gold/Silver remakes started popping up. The most famous one of all is none other than Pokémon Liquid Crystal, which we all know and love! And believe me, ShinyGold would never be able to catch up to the much more advanced Gold/Silver/Crystal remakes that we know of today.

And honestly, with all my greatest respect, I hope Zel is doing very well in life and probably still enjoying the games that he knows and loves. And I honestly wish him for the best!

It's quite sad. This hack was nearly done. Only the last 10% or something and it would be complete. I would be fine with it if Zel gave the project to someone else to finish it. He probably had the ideas written on paper already.

I don't know the exact reason why he abandoned the project. Heart Gold and Soul Silver were announced as well back then. In the 2007 era, there was a lot of hype and demand for a GSC remake in Gen 3 style. New features, nostalgia, and what not. Really unfortunate the project never finished. I don't blame Zel as he is not obligated to do it, but it's still unfortunate. I hope Pokemon Priwm really gets its release soon, rather than being abandoned too (different rom, different author, I know)

Years
I just wanted to say thank you for making a game that shaped my childhood. This game influenced me to get into romhacking, which furthered my passion into computer science.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I still remember how much I liked this game. This is why I decided to make a fixed version of this hack which contains a whole Kanto Region. I know someone else tried to do the same thing, but all of them tried to change the original things in this hack. This makes me think I should make a fixed version in which all the creators' ideas are perfectly preserved. So, here it is. A faithfully fixed Pokemon Shiny Gold Beta5.
The following glitches are fixed:
A small cave in Ice Path is glitched.
The glitched border tiles of Route 2.
You can still enter Safari Zone even though you lost your Pokemon.
The following things are added by me:
Gold/Silver style Pewter City, Route 3, Mt. Moon, Vermilion City, Route 1, Pallet Town, Route 21, Cinnabar Island, Route 20, Route 19.
Trainer Tower, secret areas where you can catch Mewtwo, Rayquazza and Regirock after Red is defeated. (All these things are based on the creator's original map.)
Rival's events in Mt. Moon, Indigo Plateau and Dragon's Den.
Some screenshots:
TmTk7GF.png

Here's the download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/xu6vti3df8ydef8/ShinyGold_Faithfully_Fixed_Beta5.ips

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 21, 2019
I still remember how much I liked this game. This is why I decided to make a fixed version of this hack which contains a whole Kanto Region. I know someone else tried to do the same thing, but all of them tried to change the original things in this hack. This makes me think I should make a fixed version in which all the creators' ideas are perfectly preserved. So, here it is. A faithfully fixed Pokemon Shiny Gold Beta5.
Gold/Silver style Pewter City, Route 3, Mt. Moon, Vermilion City, Route 1, Pallet Town, Route 21, Cinnabar Island, Route 20, Route 19.
Trainer Tower, secret areas where you can catch Mewtwo, Rayquazza and Regirock after Red is defeated. (All these things are based on the creator's original map.)
Some screenshots:
TmTk7GF.png

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xu6vti3df8ydef8/ShinyGold_Faithfully_Fixed_Beta5.ips
i think i love you

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years

This.. this isn't a bugfest, right?
This.. this is not an unpolished mess, right?
This.. this isn't a sad excuse to get some easy money, right?
This.. this is not Shiny Gold Sigma, right?
I.. I think that I love you too, Senpai.

EDIT: Ohkay, maybe I spoke a little bit too soon.

EDIT2: Weell... yeah, I definitely did speak too soon.
Nze5CMm.png

While a lot of things that don't make sense and/or are inconsistent from Shiny Gold are still there, the intention of finishing what Zel started is there at the very least, so I have to compliment you for that.

Last edited:
Years
Some screenshots:
TmTk7GF.png

i love you so much dude, This is the right path!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen yesterday
This fixed version is much appreciated. I hate to ask for something more but I would love to see an "X" version - hard mode - of this new release.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
This.. this isn't a bugfest, right?
This.. this is not an unpolished mess, right?
This.. this isn't a sad excuse to get some easy money, right?
This.. this is not Shiny Gold Sigma, right?
I.. I think that I love you too, Senpai.

EDIT: Ohkay, maybe I spoke a little bit too soon.

EDIT2: Weell... yeah, I definitely did speak too soon.
Nze5CMm.png

While a lot of things that don't make sense and/or are inconsistent from Shiny Gold are still there, the intention of finishing what Zel started is there at the very least, so I have to compliment you for that.
I'm sure I did not touch that part of the game and I didn't see anything wrong with that boy's script. So I guess this is caused by some hidden map scripts, By the way, this is fixed now. As for the bad egg glitch, it was already in the hack, the only way to fix it is to use the saveblock patch. However, this game is pretty strange. Any changes to the origin game may cause strange glitches, so I have to be cautious, It is possible that something worse will be caused if I use the patch, this is why I decided to not to touch that glitch. So, if you encounter the bad egg glitch again, just don't touch it, thanks.

Some screenshots:
TmTk7GF.png

I need to thank Lunos for finding a game breaking glitch on Route 29, and I have fixed it just now.(Even though I have no idea about what caused that)
What's more, the person event which has wrong OW sprite in Violet City gate is fixed as well.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/xu6vti3df8ydef8/ShinyGold Faithfully Fixed Beta5.ips

Last edited:

blitz_2k

Kabe
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 16, 2024
The same questions I do to every hack I find
1) Does it have a physical/special split?
2) Does it have a post game content like a battle tower/frontier?

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
I'm sure I did not touch that part of the game and I didn't see anything wrong with that boy's script. So I guess this is caused by some hidden map scripts, By the way, this is fixed now. As for the bad egg glitch, it was already in the hack, the only way to fix it is to use the saveblock patch. However, this game is pretty strange. Any changes to the origin game may cause strange glitches, so I have to be cautious, It is possible that something worse will be caused if I use the patch, this is why I decided to not to touch that glitch. So, if you encounter the bad egg glitch again, just don't touch it, thanks.
If I recall correctly, someone else had this issue with his ROM Hack which I beta tested at some point in this community's Discord Server. The issue in his case was using a super weird var like 0x60000 or something like that, so maybe that's the issue here too. Maybe one of the scripts related to the first events of the hack depends on a weird and normally non-usable var.
If so, it'd be a matter of changing it, checking if there's any other scripts that depend on it and then modify them accordingly, and that's pretty much it.
The same questions I do to every hack I find
1) Does it have a physical/special split?
2) Does it have a post game content like a battle tower/frontier?
1) No
2) It's been years since I last played Shiny Gold, so I can't remember if Zel implemented the Battle Tower near Olivine City. If he didn't, then the answer is "No".

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 7, 2018
Great work, I'm also fixing it myself.
ReEdit all the Trainer names
Fixed the Ruins
Removed all Gen 3 pokemon, besides events at this time
Added the repel feature where it will auto ask you if you want to reuse one instead of going into your bag
Right now I'm adding Hoenn which is almost complete on the mapping part, I'm trying to also fix lance which he gives you the Whirlpool item instead of the pokemon.

Ive noticed this game has alot of bugs in it and theres just more work that needs to be done. May rework the difficulty curve in the gyms since thats the one thing about this Region.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
If I recall correctly, someone else had this issue with his ROM Hack which I beta tested at some point in this community's Discord Server. The issue in his case was using a super weird var like 0x60000 or something like that, so maybe that's the issue here too. Maybe one of the scripts related to the first events of the hack depends on a weird and normally non-usable var.
If so, it'd be a matter of changing it, checking if there's any other scripts that depend on it and then modify them accordingly, and that's pretty much it.
For games which didn't install saveblock patch, the only useable vars are between var 4000 and var 40FF. The rest are Bad Eggs generator. Not like most mordern hacks, this hack uses many unsafe flags/vars. It always use var 70XX, they are unsafe. However, just as I said, it's pretty risky changing the existing things in this hack. So, if someone tries to change all those dangerous vars/flags, this person will have a hard time fixing the glitches, and they'll keep coming until you quit fixing it.
Ive noticed this game has alot of bugs in it and theres just more work that needs to be done. May rework the difficulty curve in the gyms since thats the one thing about this Region.
I guess what you really want is a perfect GSC remake game which contains Hoenn Region. If so, I suggest you to not to use this hack as your base. It'll be painful. Changing the maps/scripts/wild Pokemon causes a great amount of glitches, and you'll never know where the glitch will show up after you change a thing in the game. By the way, the game itself has an almost perfect Beta5, most of the glitches we found are caused by ourselves, not zel.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 7, 2018
For games which didn't install saveblock patch, the only useable vars are between var 4000 and var 40FF. The rest are Bad Eggs generator. Not like most mordern hacks, this hack uses many unsafe flags/vars. It always use var 70XX, they are unsafe. However, just as I said, it's pretty risky changing the existing things in this hack. So, if someone tries to change all those dangerous vars/flags, this person will have a hard time fixing the glitches, and they'll keep coming until you quit fixing it.

I guess what you really want is a perfect GSC remake game which contains Hoenn Region. If so, I suggest you to not to use this hack as your base. It'll be painful. Changing the maps/scripts/wild Pokemon causes a great amount of glitches, and you'll never know where the glitch will show up after you change a thing in the game. By the way, the game itself has an almost perfect Beta5, most of the glitches we found are caused by ourselves, not zel.
The PokeCenter bug in Route 32 isnt caused by us. All i had to do is update the pokecenter code so the game doesnt crash. Ive fixed Jhoto and I'm working on Kanto and adding Hoenn atm

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
The PokeCenter bug in Route 32 isnt caused by us. All i had to do is update the pokecenter code so the game doesnt crash. Ive fixed Jhoto and I'm working on Kanto and adding Hoenn atm
Oh, wait. It seems that I forgot about that thing. Thanks very much for reminding me of this, I fixed this just now.

Some screenshots:
TmTk7GF.png

I need to update this patch again thanks to my carelessness. Now, the PokeCenter on Route 32 is fixed. Here is the new patch:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/xu6vti3df8ydef8/ShinyGold Faithfully Fixed Beta5.ips

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
Oh, wait. It seems that I forgot about that thing. Thanks very much for reminding me of this, I fixed this just now.

I need to update this patch again thanks to my carelessness. Now, the PokeCenter on Route 32 is fixed. Here is the new patch:

First off, I want to thank you so much for reviving a ROM hack that is quite nosalgic to many of us. Shiny Gold was the most revolutionary GSC eemake for it's time. However, I think it would be great if you could apply all the bug fixes you made to the Shiny Gold X, the harder version because I'm sure several of us would definitely love to play that variant. Thank you so much again and please keep reviving hacks like these! Cheers!

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
I was playing the game on fast forward and this glitch appeared which froze the game. This took place in the Pokemon center where the slowpoke tail seller was standing next to. I'm using my boy. I can't seem to know where to attach the image to my post because I'm using my phone.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I was playing the game on fast forward and this glitch appeared which froze the game. This took place in the Pokemon center where the slowpoke tail seller was standing next to. I'm using my boy. I can't seem to know where to attach the image to my post because I'm using my phone.
I'm sure this glitch was fixed yesterday. Maybe you should try to download the patch again and patch it to a clean rom to see if that glitch is still there.

Back