• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

S+M staff are great

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters

kohei

Pizzaman.
Years
Few questions from a guy thinking of coming back into Pokemon PvP:

- I see "Luke" being used everywhere now, and I'm assuming it's an abbreviation for Lucario. T/F?

- Are the "standard" rules in the States/Europe still: LV100/Species Clause/Sleep Clause/OHKO Clause/Evasion (hax) Clause, and does not include Item Clause?

- Are the general categorization of tiers still OU/UU? Since I've seen NU being thrown about.

- Heck, do people still care about tiers?

- Anyone else disappointed that Victreebel still doesn't get Power Whip in HG/SS?

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Few questions from a guy thinking of coming back into Pokemon PvP:

- I see "Luke" being used everywhere now, and I'm assuming it's an abbreviation for Lucario. T/F? Yep, Lucario.

- Are the "standard" rules in the States/Europe still: LV100/Species Clause/Sleep Clause/OHKO Clause/Evasion (hax) Clause, and does not include Item Clause? Thats correct.

- Are the general categorization of tiers still OU/UU? Since I've seen NU being thrown about. Uber/OU/UU/NU yep.

- Heck, do people still care about tiers? Yes lol

- Anyone else disappointed that Victreebel still doesn't get Power Whip in HG/SS?

Sadly no it doesnt.

Comments in bold.

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2011
Alright then. I have been thinking a little about Xatu and i was going to ask you guys if this is a good set upp.

Ability: Synchronize

EV points:
Defense 200
Sp. Defense 200
speed 100

moves:
Light screen
Reflect
Psychic
Wish/Roost/U-turn/Twister

I haven't thought what item he should have

Is this a good idea? if you guys have another idea on how to train him then please tell me becuse i really want to use Xatu (i like him for some reason)

Aurafire

provider of cake
Years
Alright then. I have been thinking a little about Xatu and i was going to ask you guys if this is a good set upp.

Ability: Synchronize

EV points:
Defense 200
Sp. Defense 200
speed 100

moves:
Light screen
Reflect
Psychic
Wish/Roost/U-turn/Twister

I haven't thought what item he should have

Is this a good idea? if you guys have another idea on how to train him then please tell me becuse i really want to use Xatu (i like him for some reason)

Those EVs aren't making any sense.

Your best bet is for the standard support set:

Xatu @ Leftovers
Synchronize - Jolly Nature
248 HP / 44 Defense / 216 Speed
- Wish
- U-Turn
- Zen Headbutt
- Reflect/Light Screen

Wish helps support your team, and a high speed investment lets you set up a screen and U-Turn away, hopefully unharmed.

Try to keep this in UU, as Jirachi outclasses it in OU =(

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2011
Those EVs aren't making any sense.

Your best bet is for the standard support set:

Xatu @ Leftovers
Synchronize - Jolly Nature
248 HP / 44 Defense / 216 Speed
- Wish
- U-Turn
- Zen Headbutt
- Reflect/Light Screen

Wish helps support your team, and a high speed investment lets you set up a screen and U-Turn away, hopefully unharmed.

Try to keep this in UU, as Jirachi outclasses it in OU =(

Well...okay then =(. I hoped that the way i put the EVs was atleast decent but oh well. I'm new at this EV training thing so that probably explains it XD.

Can i ask what UU and OU means and stands for?

Aurafire

provider of cake
Years
Well...okay then =(. I hoped that the way i put the EVs was atleast decent but oh well. I'm new at this EV training thing so that probably explains it XD.

Can i ask what UU and OU means and stands for?

They are tiers, UU means underused and OU means overused. It's basically just a way to organize pokemon based on their usage. Here's a tiering list for every pokemon in the game: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/

That can also help you when you're looking for movesets and such.

Jukain-Arashi

PM me for Lockerz invitation.
Years
Alright so here's what I've come up with for Mesprit.

Mesprit @ Choice Specs
56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
~ Psychic
~ Thunderbolt
~ Ice Beam
~ U-turn

The remainder of my team is:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Painter

BEWARE THE LETTUCE CHILDREN!
Years
im kinda torn for my lead between
Forretress @ Shed Shell
Relaxed
252hp/4def/252spdef
Toxic Spikes (it helps me more than regular spikes)
Earthquake
Rapid Spin
Zap Cannon (stupid gyarados)

and

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Jolly
4hp/252atk/252spe
Taunt
Stealth Rock
Rock Slide
Earthquake

one sets up ts and the other sr im running a sub petaya empoleon which requires both so whichever i choose another member will set up the other

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Mesprit @ Choice Specs
56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
~ Psychic
~ Thunderbolt
~ Ice Beam
~ U-turn

Huge Pursuit bait, but it's good for your team since it gets Infernape a free NP.

Sceptile @ Choice Scarf
Overgrow
Timid
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spd
~Leaf Storm
~Energy Ball
~Focus Blast
~Dragon Pulse

Good.

Lucario @ Choice Specs
Inner Focus
Timid
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spd
~Aura Sphere
~Shadow Ball
~Hidden Power Rock / Hidden Power Ice
~Vacuum Wave

HP Rock OHKOs Gyarados and Salamence, and 2HKOs Gliscor (all with SR factored). HP Ice can be used to hit Flygon, but you miss out on hitting Gyarados. It also provides better coverage than Dragon Pulse usually.

Lapras @ Leftovers
Water Absorb
Modest
192 HP/112 Def/160 SpA/22SpD
~Ice Beam
~Thundebolt
~Surf
~Toxic

Not really bought on this set, Lapras is really mediocre in OU. Vaporeon, Suicune, Swampert, etc all do the role better while not being SR weak.

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Sand Veil
Jolly
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
~Swords Dance
~Earthquake
~Outrage
~Stone Edge

Garchomp is banned unless you're planning to use this for the upcoming suspect test. Yache Berry helps with Ice Shards, random Ice attacks, etc.

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Blaze
Naive (Scizor's BP and Lucario's ES do more to you if you run Hasty)
64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Speed
~Flamethrower
~Close Combat
~Grass Knot
~Nasty Plot

These EVs are better, nothing really threatening or common outruns you when using 192 Speed EVs.
Comments in bold.

im kinda torn for my lead between
Forretress @ Shed Shell
Relaxed
252hp/4def/252spdef
Toxic Spikes (it helps me more than regular spikes)
Earthquake
Rapid Spin
Zap Cannon (stupid gyarados)
To be honest, Toxic Spikes are really bad since half of the metagame (or even more!) is immune to them. Unless, you're opening a sweep to something that its counters are susceptible to Toxic Spikes. Use Payback over Earthquake however to hit Rotom-A, etc that are trying to block Rapid Spin.

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Jolly
4hp/252atk/252spe
Taunt
Stealth Rock
Rock Slide
Earthquake

one sets up ts and the other sr im running a sub petaya empoleon which requires both so whichever i choose another member will set up the other
Use Azelf, at least it does something other than setting-up rocks (explode). ~_~ SR isn't worth losing one slot of your team in my opinion (at least Azelf guarantees a kill or deals massive damage with Explosion as long as your opponent doesn't predict).

Jukain-Arashi

Years
Thanks! I just find it troublesome to get the right HP. As for Lapras, I wanted to try something different. I've used Starmie in the past but it is really fragile. An unexpected Fake Out managed to OHKO it. As for Garchomp, I really want to try this guy out. I've used Salamence, and might go back to it. But I want to explore other alternatives for a bit. I might go with Dragonite since I havenever used it in battle. But I'll need a moveset.

Is there an alternative for HP Ice/HP Rock on Lucario?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Thanks! I just find it troublesome to get the right HP. As for Lapras, I wanted to try something different. I've used Starmie in the past but it is really fragile. An unexpected Fake Out managed to OHKO it. As for Garchomp, I really want to try this guy out. I've used Salamence, and might go back to it. But I want to explore other alternatives for a bit. I might go with Dragonite since I havenever used it in battle. But I'll need a moveset.

Is there an alternative for HP Ice/HP Rock on Lucario?
Ohh, then go for Dragon Pulse.

Starmie isn't exactly that bulky (it really just supports), Vaporeon and Suicune fit better. Vaporeon gets Wish (really helpful) and Suicune learns Calm Mind, and can go offensive (really hard to take down too >.<). Plus, they probably have the same bulk as Lapras, maybe more depending on EVs.

Flygon is really cool, gets U-turn. If you're planning to use this in Wi-Fi, then I advise to not use Garchomp until the suspect votes are finished (which will be a while since it hasn't started), so you don't use up your time IVing and EVing it when it might stay in Uber.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/dragonite

I recommend Mixed or Support, all the other movesets are outclassed by Salamence.

Jukain-Arashi

Years
Thanks! I have an Impish Suicune. I'm not completely sure how I'll be able to get a good moveset for him since it's not the right nature. I'll do some more research on Flygon vs Dragonite.

What would you recommend Suicune's moveset to be? How about Vaporeon?

Sorry about asking so many questions, I'm new to competitive battling.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Thanks! I have an Impish Suicune. I'm not completely sure how I'll be able to get a good moveset for him since it's not the right nature. I'll do some more research on Flygon vs Dragonite.

What would you recommend Suicune's moveset to be? How about Vaporeon?

Sorry about asking so many questions, I'm new to competitive battling.
Impish is really bad. :x Lowers Special Attack so Vaporeon would be a better choice.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature (+ Def / - Atk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Surf
- Hidden Power Electric / Ice Beam / Toxic

Hidden Power Electric lets Vaporeon be a good Gyarados counter, Ice Beam can hit Dragon-types on the switch, and Toxic can be comboed with Wish + Protect.

Jukain-Arashi

Years
Hm...alright, thanks. I've been looking through my boxes and I've got a shiny Adamant Totodile untouched. Would Feraligatr also be a good alternative?

No you fail

l to the o to the l
Years
feraligatr and vaporeon are very different thing's as feraligatr is a uu gyarados which mean's it is a sweeper not a staller like vaporeon so it depend's on what position you want on your team.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Wish is an egg move that you can get from Pikachu, Clefairy, Jigglypuff, and Skitty. Protect can be obtained via TM.

Back