• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

5th Gen Starters / The professor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cello

Tonight!
Years
So with the abundance of information, we now know that this game takes place in Unova 2 years later with you playing as an entirely new character in a brand new town.

This raises many questions, but the one that has me most curious is what starters will we be able to choose from and who will we be receiving them from? Perhaps the menacing-looking professor revealed in the recent scans who is said to study Pokemon strength?
Also, will we be choosing from the standard Oshawott, Snivy and Tepig, or perhaps a new lineup of starters?

Discuss.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Serperior is in the mock battle scans versus Kyurems. So same Starters.

A member on my Site says the new Prof. is evil. Gives him the same Vibes N did.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Maybe with the ambudance of pokemon in the dex we will be able to pick one out of the 16 (Kanto + Pikachu line, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova)...that'll be incredible if we could :D!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I feel weird that there's a Mareep aaand something else I forgot next to the starters, tbh. Makes me think that there may be more than just our Unova starters :x

HOWEVER, I think we'll probably go back to the boring way of receiving starters OR FINALLY YOU'LL FLY INTO THE REGION OR SOMETHING AND GET GIVEN IT AS A PRESENT AFTERWARDS TOO. :33

Cello

Tonight!
Years
Serperior is in the mock battle scans versus Kyurems. So same Starters.

Ah, you got a point about that. Failure to see that = getting tired. x[

As for everyone mentioning the possibility of multiple choice, while I doubt it would happen that would be SO COOL.
I mean, the Unova dex has practically doubled in size. I feel like there should be more choices or at least give us the opportunity to obtain them sooner for our teams.

The idea of having an evil professor is cool too. I feel like it would be a nice change from the norm.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Maybe the new prof did something to Hilbert/Hilda...
Or maybe he's actually nice, I mean some found Rowan to be intimidating, heck maybe this guy has a sweet tooth too...

Seriously then dex is huge...the only other dex to have half of it's generation's pokemon was Hoenn with 200 of the 400 at the time...

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Well assuming from what others have said, and from previous games, we'll have the same starters. It would be strange to me to have something like a Mareep as a starter but I wouldn't mind cause then I could have Ampharos on my team. :D But probably not and they'll go with Snivy, Oshawott and Tepig.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
The new Professor discovered that Emboar is a Pure Fire Type after all....
---Is that to much to ask for?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
It would be nice to be able to choose out of a lot. But I do not think we will have all the starters or other pokemon who are not suppose to be starters. But they have thrown so many curve balls at us in 5th Gen. So I wouldn't count it out 100%.

Years
They likely aren't adding new pokemon so there won't be a whole new starter set. You need to be able to get the starters in the game somehow so unless they plan to have someone give you one other than at the start of the game they'll need to keep the starters they already have.

I'd really doubt they would either make the starters something you could find in the wild or not include them in some other catch-able way.

blue

gucci
Years
Yeah, that could be a possibility, maybe you chose one of the starters then depending on who you chose you get a gift Pokémon alongside with it Buneary = Tepig, Mareep = Oshawott & Psyduck = Snivy going by the image in the scan.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
What if they gave you an Emolga that fallows you around, and you had the option of finding the other starters throughout the game, given to you as gifts :P Lol no?

I really hope they do do something creative, or have alternate starters or something, but I doubt it.

TCB

Tranquilo.
Years
I see the same starter set, it does take place in the same region, and the resident professor hands out the same three starter pokemon, I don't see that changing.

That professor definitely appears to be different from the norm. The attire looks entirely different from any professor art I've seen, quite possibly part of something bigger...?

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years

No, not at all. In fact, its perfectly reasonable. But nintendo is too stupid to realize that we've had three fire-fighting starters in a row. And 6 dragon mascots.

I'm going to hope and wish for GEN6 starter to be Fire/Fight

Then it is sure not to happen again!
-----

The Professor is up to something.... (what if he has something to do with dream world abilities?)

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
What if you recieve all 3 starters and whatever they are? If that were true, it would be pretty awesome.

Years
Well, the Unova national dex will contain 300 pokémon. So let's assume it'll be the same +150 as we have now + about 150 others. There's some old pokémon added but the ones revealed don't make 150 together.. so we'd have to get some more old ones revealed as new pokémon seems unlikely to me.

quoted from Serebii:
Within the new Unova Pokédex, which contains a combination of old and new (Unova) Pokémon, Psyduck is #026, Riolu is #033 and Metagross is #254, with other Pokémon such as Tyranitar, Lapras & Arcanine being available.

I'm actually pretty exited, Lapras and Ampharos which are some of my favorites.

As for the starters I'm not yet bored of Snivy and its evolution line but having the same starters does sound like it'd bore me. But again I doubt we're getting new pokémon.

Years
Maybe the new prof did something to Hilbert/Hilda...

This made me think of Red being frozen throughout the Yellow Arc of Pokemon Special which made me think of this-

So what if the professor unleashed Kyurem and did some stuff, Hubert/Hilda, and maybe even Bianca and Cheren, went to stop him, ended up being frozen(perhaps on purpose- wouldn't want the Legendary Hero getting in the good Prof's experiment, now would we?), and now Unova is slowly being frozen by Kyurem.

Since the professor is researching Pokemon strength, maybe he gives the player and rival starters to see if they can actually overcome a powerful legendary Pokemon like Kyurem.

Or something along those lines. I dunno, just my mind going wild with ideas >_>

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Okay guys, general posts related to the professor don't belong here, just put them in how you feel about the new characters thread. Juuust a note!

Anyway, sadly I doubt we'll get all three. Unless it's like a mega easy game, then probably the rest will go to your rival & the opposite protag. :x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back