• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

~Just the Classics~ Original 151 Fan Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I would like to bring up a point about Gen I that can and I hope will lead to further discussion: When I first started playing these games when I was young, I didn't even know about stat values, base stats, STAB, or anything like that. I just used my favorite Pokemon, and I had fun with it. I feel this is another big appeal of Gen I for me.

Ahh, this I agree with entirely! Such wonder and mystery was held within the games. I think my favourite ever part of the games back then was walking through the Safari Zone. Every single time you find something new and exciting! Chansey and Kangaskhan both became huge fascinations of mine due to this, they took up a huge section of my childhood in various hunts and searches haha.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
Members, you may have noticed that I posted a poll. Please vote in the poll, as the results will be used by me to judge whether or not we have enough eligible participants for me to start WiFi-based events in this club.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years
Yes. Pokemon back then were for enjoyment ONLY. No EV, no natures, no hidden values and such. We were kids back then, but everybody grow up. Most want something more exciting. Something.. different.

johnny18

Kiss Me Like It's Do or Die
Years

Ahh, this I agree with entirely! Such wonder and mystery was held within the games. I think my favourite ever part of the games back then was walking through the Safari Zone. Every single time you find something new and exciting! Chansey and Kangaskhan both became huge fascinations of mine due to this, they took up a huge section of my childhood in various hunts and searches haha.
It was my worst time :P
I could not catch any Safari mons. They are all running away from me :(

miltankRancher

Years
I thought throwing a rock then feeding it would make it more easier to catch and less likely to run. I never thought that it would cancel out.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
Back in that time, the only thing I ever paid any attention to with building my teams was types. I assumed most all Pokemon of the same type were about equal. Now, I realize just how wrong I was. I was like "So THAT's why Pikachu kept getting stomped by Gyarados." XD

miltankRancher

Years
I just used my favorites. My team usually consists of my starter, a surfer, a flyer, and three other random dudes.

gunnerpow7

☆ キレイハナ Kireihana ☆
Years
Oooh! I want to join!!!

Username: gunnerpow7
Favorite Gen I Pokemon: Well, it is Vileplume, Gyarados, Arcanine, Ninetales
Partner Pokemon: Victor the Vileplume... =)

Avishka

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019

I would like to bring up a point about Gen I that can and I hope will lead to further discussion: When I first started playing these games when I was young, I didn't even know about stat values, base stats, STAB, or anything like that. I just used my favorite Pokemon, and I had fun with it. I feel this is another big appeal of Gen I for me.
I agreeeee!
I started playing the games only a few years ago. I didn't know about stats and all. I only used to use my starter Pokemon and few of my favorite Pokemon :P

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I agreeeee!
I started playing the games only a few years ago. I didn't know about stats and all. I only used to use my starter Pokemon and few of my favorite Pokemon :P

Yess, it was very nice being able to do this! Back in the days where Pikachu felt strong, Chansey was just another Pokemon, no worries about stats or IVs... Man I miss those days. :( The type match-ups that they got wrong always made me laugh too haha.

ikaroschase

サンダース the crackling of sparks
Years
Back in that time, the only thing I ever paid any attention to with building my teams was types. I assumed most all Pokemon of the same type were about equal. Now, I realize just how wrong I was. I was like "So THAT's why Pikachu kept getting stomped by Gyarados." XD

I just used my favorites. My team usually consists of my starter, a surfer, a flyer, and three other random dudes.

same here.
but when i think about it, i prefer it the way it was back then - carefree playing. now that i've learnt about IVs and EVs and natures and what not, i take even longer to play the games because i'm trying to get a pokemon of suitable nature. not to mention the characteristics. all these things complicate the game a whole lot, but at least it increases the challenge (:

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
Welcome, gunnerpow7!

I agree on the fact that it was much more fun when we could play the games carefree. But, now, while I do like the challenge, it's impossible for me to play a game without thinking "Wait, what's that Pokemon's nature?"

johnny18

Kiss Me Like It's Do or Die
Years

I agree on the fact that it was much more fun when we could play the games carefree. But, now, while I do like the challenge, it's impossible for me to play a game without thinking "Wait, what's that Pokemon's nature?"
Yeah, I want the game will just like in the anime where a little mon can have a big win like Pikachu cannot be easily to get killed -_-

NightOfRemorse

my anxieties have anxieties
Years
Username: NightOfRemorse
Favorite Gen I Pokemon: Charmander, Vulpix, Ivysaur... (I can't pick one xD )
Partner Pokemon: Willow the Vulpix

miltankRancher

Years
Yeah, I want the game will just like in the anime where a little mon can have a big win like Pikachu cannot be easily to get killed -_-

Like the episode where Pika defeated Brock's Onix, depsite the type match=-up. LOL.

This thread is letting me feel nostalgic.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
Welcome, NightOfRemorse! Please vote in the poll of this club, I need to know so I can arrange WiFi-based events.

miltankRancher, you are not the only one who gets nostalgia in this club. I give myself nostalgia here. :)

miltankRancher

Years
I remembered the first time i played Red. I really had a hard time choosing what starter to use. should have chosen a Bulbasaur

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
Please note everyone: before we have our first WiFi event, I want to have at least 12 eligible participants. Invite people who you think might want to join this club. :)

I always chose Charmander myself in the old games. Charizard is awesome.

gunnerpow7

☆ キレイハナ Kireihana ☆
Years
For me, when I first start playing any game of Pokemon, I always use my starter and only train it while I catch other pokemon, I don't train them... But now... nothing changed.. except the fact that I know now how to use the tpes... =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back