• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: Special Message codes..

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
Years
Another tutorial of mine...
You know in Baro's hack, where you are talking, then all of a sudden, the message pauses? Well, he gave me a document, that explains different codes to do different things in a Msgbox script.

Color Codes

Prologue

Color codes are used in the game to give the user an idea of who is speaking. In my (used to be) hack, I used to set everyone's color code to Black, and use the color blue to tell everyone that the player is speaking. I also used Red to tell people the Mother is speaking. But they can be used for, anything the creator wants them to be used for.

Example

Code:
#org @start
Code:
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] msgbox @color[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] callstd 0x2[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] end[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS] #org @pause[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] = \c\h01\h08Today is Wednsday, right?[/FONT]
That one was simple. It will change the text color to blue, because \c\h01 means "set ink color to X" and X = 08, blue.

Text Color
Now \c doesn't necessarily mean "color" codes, \c in hex is FC.
Color codes use the code \c\h01 or FC01 to change the color of the Ink. In the pic below, you'll see that I changed the color of the text to Red.
2sbmp7t.jpg

Background Color
Now did you know you can also change the background of text? All you do is use the code for color but instead of "\c\h01\h04", you would use "\c\h02\h04"
\c\h02 means to set background ink color to "X". X = color. A list of colors can be found in XSE's thread in the toolbox.
2co6a1l.jpg

Shadow Color
Besides changing the color of the background, or color of text, you can also change the color of the Shadow! Guess what? CHICKEN BUTT, xD
30k9ky1.jpg

In that pic, I changed the shadow's color to Blue and the text color to Red.

That's all for Color codes...Basic, that is...

Font Codes

Prologue

Well I don't have a clue why people use them, but oh well. Teh Baro used them in his hack to demonstrate how serious, or angry someone was/is. You can tell, by looking at the examples below.

Example

Code:
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] #org @start[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] msgbox @font[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] callstd 0x3[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS] #org @font[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] = \c\h06\h00Today is wednsdaym right?\n\c\h06\h00YES! TODAY IS WEDNSDAY, GEEZ[.][/FONT]
Smaller Font
The code \c\h06 means to set the font to a certain size. \h00 = small, and everything else that is NOT "00" will result in normal font.
2628k78.jpg

See what I mean?

Different Syled Font
This code(below) will change the font to Japanese or Western STYLED font:

"\c\h15" for Japanese
1gjbbq.jpg
- It looks kinda like DP font, don't it? :S

"\c\h15" for Western(which is the regular font)

That concludes Font tutorials...

Special Character Text

Prolouge

Ok, at least you made it this far.
These special characters, they're mainly used for guiding, and directing. In the game, some places use them for signposts.

Example

Code:
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] message @direct[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] boxset 0x3[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS] #org @direct[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] = \hF8\h00 is used for ???[/FONT]

Information Characters

For these, we don't use "\c" anymore, we use \hF8 now.

Teh Baro said:
Code F8 is used in the Key Bar to display the buttons:
Teh Baro said:
00-05 Buttons: A B L R Start Select
06-0C Dipad: ↑ ↓ ← → ↕ ↔ none
Code 2 – F9
1z6r1fm.jpg

So if you wanted the "B" button, you would put:

Code:
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] lock[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] faceplayer[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] message @button[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] boxset 6[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] release[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS] #org @button[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] = Did you know the [B]\hF8\h01[/B] is used\nto cancel menus?[/FONT]
Smileys
Using the code F9 and one of the numbers below, you can make a smiley like this: :)

Code:
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] Code 2 – F9[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS] Several other glyphs, including smileys (?!)[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] 00-19; [B]D0-FE:[/B]  ' D0 - FE are the smileys/etc.[/FONT]
14m9dts.jpg

In that example, I used "\hF9\hF7" - "\hF9\hFE"

If you wanted a mad face, you'd put:
Code:
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] lock[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] faceplayer[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] message @hello[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] boxset 6[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] release[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS] #org @hello[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] = Grr...I'm mad! \hF9\hFE[/FONT]

Short String Text

Prologue
Using the Short string codes, we no longer use "\c" or "\h" to start it. We would normally use "\v". But you can use "\hFD"
Short string text saves you a lot of space from writing simple things such as "Player" while we can use "\v\h01". The game won't understand "player" anyways, so I'll use a different example. If you have a script, and you are continuously using a name or pokemon, you can just specify that name with the "Bufferstring" command(0x85) or "Bufferpokemon" command(0x7D).

Example
Code:
#org @start
bufferpokemon 0x0 0x150
message @mewtwo
boxset 0x6
end

#org @mewtwo
= I think I saw a [buffer1]!

List of all Short String text
Code:
Code FD16("\v") inserts short strings:
\v\h01	Player's name
\v\h02-04	Buffer strings (set by another function, used for various things)
\v\h06	Rival's name
\v\h07	Ruby
\v\h08	Magma
\v\h09	Aque
\v\h0A	Maxie
\v\h0B	Archie
\v\h0C	Groudon
\v\h0D	Kyogre

I guess that's all...It's up to you to experiment now...

ETC. Message Codes

Prolouge
The Codes that don't fit with the rest of the other category's. These codes include Pause music, resume music, play a song, wait to resume message after a key is pressed, wait to resume message after a specified length of time, and Set drawing position to X.

Pause music
This message code pauses the music until it is resumed by another code.
It's used in Gym's, where BROCK is talking and while he is talking the music stops, then plays the fanfare music, then resumes normal music. In a way, this saves space so you don't have to use the "Playsong command".

Example
Code:
I'll finish this later, ok? xD

Last edited:

spenceroone3

<he eats lots of burgers.
Years
Hey I like it. I learnt a couple of things from this tutorial,
such as shadow, background, that small text (I've been wondering about that for a long while)

EDIT: First post.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Nice document Cooley, I'll write up some simple codes so HackMew can add them into XSE. :D

Thanks for posting another helpful document. :)

dragonarche

Is back :D
Years
good work taught me alot:)

Years
Damn... Didn't know about the changing of the shadows and the backgounds...
I knew about the small font but not the large font. :\
And I only found the special characters the other day when I was proper casing things.
Great tutorial Cooley.

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
OMG I only knew the color codes and the smilies XD I was clueless..
Thanks for sharing it. Hopefully will be a great help.

Master_Track

ROM Reaverz Scripter
Years
phew I only knew colour, font and background.
I didn't know that there are that many uses, thanks for sharing this :)

X-aveon

IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Years
  • Seen Jun 25, 2012
is this XSE? if it isn't, could you make one for xse?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
Kool tut! ^^
One question.
The small letters(\h00)
If u always wanted it small, would u just add \h00?

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
Years
Kool tut! ^^
One question.
The small letters(\h00)
If u always wanted it small, would u just add \h00?
If you always want it small than put it in front of the text. It is similar to the color codes. It will remain that color until you set it back to black.

Swampert 22

Is making tools for you...
Years
Very good Cooley, I have learnt a lot form this tutorial, I only knew about the colour codes and small text. Very good and clear tutorial!

Well Done :)

foullump

Rom Hacking Guru
Years
Code:
\c\h06\h00Today is wednsdaym right?\n\c\h06\h00YES! TODAY IS WEDNSDAY, GEEZ[.]

The code \c\h06 means to set the font to a certain size. \h00 = small, and everything else that is NOT "00" will result in normal font.
2628k78.jpg

See what I mean?

No, I don't. If you notice, you contradicted yourself. "The code \c\h06 means to set the font to a certain size. \h00 = small, and everything else that is NOT "00" will result in normal font." Yet, in your code, both codes are the exact same. (\c\h06\h00) Yet, there still retains a definate change to the font. Did you make a mistake when you showed us your script? Or when you type that code, does it just change automaticly, even if you don't define a switch? That doesn't seem very logical...

Different Syled Font
This code(below) will change the font to Japanese or Western STYLED font:

"\c\h15" for Japanese
1gjbbq.jpg
- It looks kinda like DP font, don't it? :S

"\c\h15" for Western(which is the regular font)
Again, you contradicted yourself. "\c\h15 for Japanese" "\c\h15 for Western"
As you see, they're the same code... And with the shadow changing, you didn't explain how to do it. You simply stated it could be done. So, could you please go over this again and if you made an error, correct it? Thanks! Aside from that, I don't know how you learned this, but I knew about the backround coloring. I made a mistake one time when I changed text color.

Last edited:

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
Years
No, I don't. If you notice, you contradicted yourself. "The code \c\h06 means to set the font to a certain size. \h00 = small, and everything else that is NOT "00" will result in normal font." Yet, in your code, both codes are the exact same. (\c\h06\h00) Yet, there still retains a definate change to the font. Did you make a mistake when you showed us your script? Or when you type that code, does it just change automaticly, even if you don't define a switch? That doesn't seem very logical...

Again, you contradicted yourself. "\c\h15 for Japanese" "\c\h15 for Western"
As you see, they're the same code... And with the shadow changing, you didn't explain how to do it. You simply stated it could be done. So, could you please go over this again and if you made an error, correct it? Thanks! Aside from that, I don't know how you learned this, but I knew about the backround coloring. I made a mistake one time when I changed text color.
Thanks for pointing it out to me. But, I wasn't done really, so later(unfortunately), I'll fix them. And add shortcuts, using XSE!

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
nice tut ya got here. =3
does the codes work for PokeScript as well..?
also, will the background changing colour be available for Ruby..?

thanks and continue the great work~

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
Years
You still use Pokescript?
Yeah, they should work with pokescript, if pokescript doesn't mess up the compiling, xD

And, I haven't really tested them in other games. But if you use XSE, the color codes, for example are available to all Pokemon Advance Roms.

Ex.
[black_rs]This is black text. For RUBY
[green_rs]This is green text. For RUBY

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
You still use Pokescript?
Yeah, they should work with pokescript, if pokescript doesn't mess up the compiling, xD

And, I haven't really tested them in other games. But if you use XSE, the color codes, for example are available to all Pokemon Advance Roms.

Ex.
[black_rs]This is black text. For RUBY
[green_rs]This is green text. For RUBY
Yeah, but I wrote them before I knew you could change the Backgroud, and Outliune colors... >_> I guess I'll write up the list again, but for everything this time. :D

PS.
When are you going to finish this guide? xD I want to learn how to pause text. :) (Or you could PM me the data Baro sent you. ;))

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
Years
Yeah, but I wrote them before I knew you could change the Backgroud, and Outliune colors... >_> I guess I'll write up the list again, but for everything this time. :D

PS.
When are you going to finish this guide? xD I want to learn how to pause text. :) (Or you could PM me the data Baro sent you. ;))
Lol, I'm a busy guy...
Maybe I'll pm you the codes, or maybe just Pm every member, to make it fair, xD

I'll PM you, I'll finish this, sometime, xD

Sky
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
How can I change font once and all text in game will change?

Back