The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 13th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Takafumi
Light Colors

Advertise here
I think this is the right place...
Hi hi, I decided to see if I was competent when it comes to creating sprites so I gave it a try; I pretty much just followed the instructions in a couple of Chesu's tutorials though.
It took a while (Mainly due to pallets confusing me!) but it works in-game and stuff~

Unfortunately I'm unable to post images. (First post T_T) so I'll leave a sneaky link... hopefully that's allowed... >.>

http:/ /i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r657/takagami/UNFamiliar/001_zpsda3f8892.png

There are still some issues with the overall proportions, I need to take pallet limitations into consideration in future, and I'm struggling with those annoying things people call "eyes," but I think it's bearable for now~ Ahaha.

Old October 13th, 2013, 02:11 PM
IceyPinkLemons

Nature: Lonely
@Takafumi - It's promising work. Work on making the parts that are supposed to be curvy more rounded instead of blocky lines connecting to make the illusion of roundness, like you did with the belly. For instance, the muzzle of your Lyfasaurus looks very well-rounded, and you should try to duplicate that look onto the rest of the work, considering that the Fakemon is so serpentine.

Old October 14th, 2013, 06:20 AM
Takafumi
Light Colors

Thanks for the advice~ ^-^
I am struggling with curves due to the squarey nature of squares... but if I look at some sprites I might be able to wrap my head around it~
I'll edit this post to include an update when I feel it's good enough!

Old October 14th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Varion Bluefire
A.K.A The Glitch

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Varion Bluefire
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyhugg View Post
That's nice. It just doesn't give off a Pokemon feel to it for me. I'm really bad at that, though, so forgive me.

My sprite (Possible X and Y spoilers in here):
Spoiler:
Here's a Pixel Over of Mega Garchomp that I did:

Reference:
Spoiler:
It looks 'okay'.
But you need to add more shading, it looks flat otherwise.

The bell chimes again...
November 2014 ~ Chime Version Returns.
Old October 17th, 2013, 10:57 PM
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath

The outlines on the Mega-Garchomp needs some fixing up here and there too, but overall the effort is admirable. I'd focus on the shading first like Varion said.
Old October 18th, 2013, 03:10 AM
PeskyJoltik
EPICLY HAPPY

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to PeskyJoltik
I have something here, made this earlier and i'm not good at Spriting but this is the result of my work!

I call this Pokemon as Springle.
You can tell that it's a fakemon.
I'm not good at spriting but i'm learning how to!
This Springle is a Fairy type Pokemon!
Old November 7th, 2013, 10:16 PM
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeskyJoltik View Post
I have something here, made this earlier and i'm not good at Spriting but this is the result of my work!

I call this Pokemon as Springle.
You can tell that it's a fakemon.
I'm not good at spriting but i'm learning how to!
This Springle is a Fairy type Pokemon!
I don't know if you're around.. but I'll go ahead and say that the sprite is great at an early stage and skill level. You've got the gist of shading, now you can improve. Firstly, if you want it to look like a Pokemon sprite, the sprite must face to the left but not directly to the left like a 2D sprite. Add some dimension and a unique pose. It lacks some black outline as well. Your outline is great for starters too, but there's still room for improvement by smoothing it out.
Old November 12th, 2013, 11:54 AM
ShinyNuzLover
What're you lookin' at?

Nature: Hasty
Here's a sprite I made not to long ago-

Not one of my best, but I think it turned out ok.... It's a sprite of Scrafty and Cubone.... Sorry bout the white background.... If anyone can help with that, let me know....

Old November 22nd, 2013, 08:31 PM
Demon Days
Element of Magic

Nature: Quiet
A removed item from Terraria. Redone just for fun.

I guess it's OK, but I need to get reacquainted with pixel art. Might do some pixel-overs of some things.

Old November 30th, 2013, 04:08 AM
S3venAces
Amateur Pixel Artist

I have a deviantart. It has pixels.

(I pray this isn't considered grave digging haha)
Old November 30th, 2013, 04:32 AM
Serperion
The Fallen King

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyNuzLover View Post
Here's a sprite I made not to long ago-

Not one of my best, but I think it turned out ok.... It's a sprite of Scrafty and Cubone.... Sorry bout the white background.... If anyone can help with that, let me know....
You can remove the White background with most photoshop based programs, paint can't do it but if you have Paint.NET it can, you use the magical tool (Wand) and set the % in the ribbon to 0% and hold shift while clicking on the background then press Delete and all white will disappear all you have to do then it use the fill tool (Paint Bucket) on the spots where you need white, mainly in eyes.

Should Beauty ever be my best feature I would simply die
Old November 30th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Superjub
Pokémon Aureolin
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discordant View Post
A removed item from Terraria. Redone just for fun.

I guess it's OK, but I need to get reacquainted with pixel art. Might do some pixel-overs of some things.
I like it, but you could try experimenting more with shading in my opinion. To perhaps make the rainbow colours blend more seamlessly, why not try using methods such as dithering? This would be very useful when you go from colours like the pink to the purple pretty quickly. Additionally, you could make the outlines a bit darker in places to define them a bit more, and perhaps add more highlights and darker shades to give a greater sense of realism. I noticed on the lower end of the handle for instance it is very light. I do like the palette you used though, and it definitely has a lot of potential.

I have some sprites I wouldn't mind critiquing. What are your opinions of these? Completely custom by using some X/Y screenshots as a reference.

Pokémon Aureolin

Last edited by Superjub; November 30th, 2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old December 1st, 2013, 02:26 PM
reshilegend

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjub View Post
I have some sprites I wouldn't mind critiquing. What are your opinions of these? Completely custom by using some X/Y screenshots as a reference.
I like them, but there are small anatomy problems. I'm mainly talking about the forelegs which are a pixel or two too short imo. They should also be shaped like an V, so that Sylveon's feet go together. Kinda hard to explain sorry Not much else to criticise though, all in all good job
Old December 1st, 2013, 02:56 PM
Froslass_Maniac
Take this banana and throw it away!

Old December 1st, 2013, 11:06 PM
swiswi18

Nature: Adamant
kind of new to spriting, not the best with shading...
any advice ?
Thnx
Attached Images
File Type: png water spinosaurus.PNG‎ (2.7 KB, 8 views) (Save to Dropbox)

•Proud Pokémon Supporter Since 1997

•Pokémon Y Friend Code: 0791-1469-0088
Old December 2nd, 2013, 03:42 AM
Superjub
Pokémon Aureolin
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by reshilegend View Post
I like them, but there are small anatomy problems. I'm mainly talking about the forelegs which are a pixel or two too short imo. They should also be shaped like an V, so that Sylveon's feet go together. Kinda hard to explain sorry Not much else to criticise though, all in all good job
No problem, thanks for all the anatomy tips. I'll work on it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froslass_Maniac View Post
Your style is so distinctive; I love it. :D The only apparent issues I can see is the "hair" on the second sprite. I think the dithering is used too much here (kinda hypocritical since I have a tendency to overuse dithering a lot in some places too. xD) Also in the sprite, her left hand seems significantly smaller then her right hand, and the right hand seems a little.... off? I can't put my finger on it. They all look very nice though. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiswi18 View Post
kind of new to spriting, not the best with shading...
any advice ?
Thnx
If you're trying to capture that Pokemon look, generally the Pokemon have big(ger) heads and more pronounced features. Try making the first one's head a little bigger. By doing this you can make features like its eyes and snout a lot more detailed. I also see quite a few jagged outlines, so I'd work on smoothing out the outlines too. The same goes for the second sprite. Also, on both I'm not a massive fan of the fin, mainly because it looks a bit like cardboard atm. xD Perhaps try looking into anti-aliasing? Here's a tutorial I quickly found here. You could also try experimenting with a different palette for the second one to make it look a bit more unique. As a new spriter though, these are pretty good! :D A lot better than my first sprites, that's for sure. xD The best place to start is by looking at official sprites and trying to emulate their kind of style and then going from there in my opinion.

Pokémon Aureolin

Last edited by Superjub; December 2nd, 2013 at 03:48 AM.
Old December 6th, 2013, 11:39 PM
Ęℓαчиıı
Scolipede

Nature: Adamant
Hey there, guys!

I'm back with more sprites. I've been practicing lately and getting some advice from some of my friends on deviantART. They gave me some tips and tried to apply them to this sprite. It's the generic rodent for my region, Pimouse. What do you think?

Old December 7th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Froslass_Maniac
Take this banana and throw it away!

Your outline shading is a tad light, mainly because you don't have a distinctive border. Outlines should shade along with the sprite. It's back is dark, so the outline there should be darker than his front.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here