• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

@Brain Over Brawn@ Psychic-type Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Your nickname: Aslan

Your Psychic-Type Club-Campaign Partner: Girafarig

Reason for joining the club: Pokemon that can use telepathy, spoon bend, do magic and shoot thunderbolts, ice beams and flamethrowers all at once? Psychic types are just full of magic and I think it's cool hearing the different theories, stories and discussions that people have about them!

What do you think about Psychic-type's godlike status in Generation I games?

Honestly never played the Generation I games past glitching Pokemon Yellow but I think they'd of been pretty powerful from the sounds of it! I could see them doing better in Generation I than any other type due to their sheer power and the lack of Dark and Steel. :]

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017

You have to admit that because I never played a 1st Gen game that it took me a while to even realize this was actually a thing. So horribly unbalanced and it was no wonder why Sabrina was such a nightmare back then, because there was literally no good Bug-type moves and for some weird reason Ghost-type moves were unable to damage them. It was good to see the next generation patch up this with the Dark and Steel-types, along with the stat restructure.

Alakazam's Special base stat in Gen I was 135, it means he wasn't only a strong attacker, he was even a great sponge on absorbing all those special moves!

IMO only Mewtwo and Mew really had godlike status in generation I games. Other Psychic-type pokémon weren't so strong that the type in general would've been too strong compared to others.

IMO Sabrina wasn't so hard that it would've been nightmare.
Psychic type was basically without weakness, Twineedle and Leech Life weren't even strong to begin with. Not to mention the Special stats wasn't split back then. Starmie, Alakazam, Jynx are Psychic-types that hit hard and move fast, while Slowbro was basically a killer tank back then. Psychic-types and Ice-types were dominating the high tier before., which made Lorelei the the true terror of RGBY/RBY games.

Mew and Mewtwo were of course powerful for a very obvious reason.

Your nickname: Aslan

Your Psychic-Type Club-Campaign Partner: Girafarig

Reason for joining the club: Pokemon that can use telepathy, spoon bend, do magic and shoot thunderbolts, ice beams and flamethrowers all at once? Psychic types are just full of magic and I think it's cool hearing the different theories, stories and discussions that people have about them!

Honestly never played the Generation I games past glitching Pokemon Yellow but I think they'd of been pretty powerful from the sounds of it! I could see them doing better in Generation I than any other type due to their sheer power and the lack of Dark and Steel. :]

Welcome to the Club! Nice selection with Girafarig, it doesn't evolve! >:) Hahaha, just kidding! Alakazam, Mewtwo, Mew can abuse those said types plus a Psychic move in the battle arena. Yes, the introduction of Steel and Dark type, plus Shadow Ball really dragged down the Psychic-type.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
thanks for the warm welcome guys!!
i've actually only played Y & Alpha Sapphire, but i'll check caitlin out nonetheless.

i'm thinking of, instead of filling my entire pokedex ( i don't have the patience lmao ) maybe i'll just do psychic pokemon, which should keep me busy for a week or two.

I tried getting all Psychic Pokemon on White 2 but couldn't get Grumpig or Spoink anywhere. I did get all Grass Types though.

I am trying to fill my whole Pokedex (Except Event Mons) in X and am close. I am on just under 700. Thankfully I had lots of Pokemon stored on White 2.

Onto the question.

What did you make of Psychic types God-like status in Gen 1 games?

I have played the Gen 1 games and looking back now they have a lot of issues including Psychic being a little overpowered.

Gen 1 were the first Pokemon games so problems are understandable and it was unfortunate that Psychic being overpowered was one of them.

Bug type was basically a joke back in Gen 1 and there were no strong bug moves and there were hardly any Ghost Pokemon in Gen 1. Nevertheless I remember using Starmie as my go-to water type and thinking it was a strong Pokemon. Never thought it was broken though.

Mewtwo may have been overpowered but he was the first 'secret' legendary so it is somewhat understandable.

I never had too many problems with Sabrina's Gym although having a Psychic Type (Starmie) in my own team may have helped.

Slightly off topic I prefer the Sabrina look in Gen 1 than the newer look in Heart Gold and Gen 5.

The Gen 5 Elite Four was a murderers row for Psychic Types. Ghost, Dark, Psychic and in Black and White Alder, who favors Bug types. Thankfully Marshall was not a Steel trainer.

Years

So that explains why Mewtwo was Psychic. I mean, it got the best Sp. Atk at that time, and one of the best types in the game. It's like they want to tell us, "Hey, Mewtwo is your god. You can't stop him."

Sun

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
I tried getting all Psychic Pokemon on White 2 but couldn't get Grumpig or Spoink anywhere. I did get all Grass Types though.

I am trying to fill my whole Pokedex (Except Event Mons) in X and am close. I am on just under 700. Thankfully I had lots of Pokemon stored on White 2.

Onto the question.

What did you make of Psychic types God-like status in Gen 1 games?

I have played the Gen 1 games and looking back now they have a lot of issues including Psychic being a little overpowered.

Gen 1 were the first Pokemon games so problems are understandable and it was unfortunate that Psychic being overpowered was one of them.

Bug type was basically a joke back in Gen 1 and there were no strong bug moves and there were hardly any Ghost Pokemon in Gen 1. Nevertheless I remember using Starmie as my go-to water type and thinking it was a strong Pokemon. Never thought it was broken though.

Mewtwo may have been overpowered but he was the first 'secret' legendary so it is somewhat understandable.

I never had too many problems with Sabrina's Gym although having a Psychic Type (Starmie) in my own team may have helped.

Slightly off topic I prefer the Sabrina look in Gen 1 than the newer look in Heart Gold and Gen 5.

The Gen 5 Elite Four was a murderers row for Psychic Types. Ghost, Dark, Psychic and in Black and White Alder, who favors Bug types. Thankfully Marshall was not a Steel trainer.

Yeah both Psychic and Ice are overpower creatures back then, it's sort of difficult to imagine how scary were they. Fortunately Sabrina's team wasn't that scary, the only threat from her arsenal was Alakazam.

So that explains why Mewtwo was Psychic. I mean, it got the best Sp. Atk at that time, and one of the best types in the game. It's like they want to tell us, "Hey, Mewtwo is your god. You can't stop him."

Correction: Special, not Special Attack. I have to stress that part, because that stat was one and the same in Gen I, it sounds confusing but not complicating: If you convert it into nowadays stats , it's 154 Special Attack and 154 Special Defence. That's the reason why most Psychic and Ice Pokémon were feared back then.

Sub-topic 1:
What if Stat was never separated as Special Attack and Special Defense as we see today? Do you think Psychic-types are still going to run amok? (Try to think any post-Gen I Pokémon like Mega Gardevoir, Espeon, Reuniclus etc. with the old mechanic.)
Sub-topic 2:
The introduction of Dark-type, Steel-type and Ghost-type glitch fix as well as the stat amendments have altered Psychic Pokémon. Do think Psychic-type has been demoted a bit too much? Or was it a right move for Game Freak to introduce a lot of new mechanics in one generation?

Years
Sub-topic 1: Well, I guess it would be banned from competitive play for being too hard to beat. Maybe they'll lessen the amount of Psychic-types and make them as special as Dragons - as in they can be found very later on in the game - in order to balance it. And imagine Caitlin with her three pure Psychic types..... o_O

Sub-topic 2: I think it's just balanced enough. Psychic having no effect on Dark was a (frustratingly)good way to balance them, since a lot of Psychics are pure and oftentimes they don't learn any offensive moves of a different type. IMO, Game Freak made a right move on that, otherwise Psychic will be simply overpowered.

Reactions: Sun

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
Yeah both Psychic and Ice are overpower creatures back then, it's sort of difficult to imagine how scary were they. Fortunately Sabrina's team wasn't that scary, the only threat from her arsenal was Alakazam.

Correction: Special, not Special Attack. I have to stress that part, because that stat was one and the same in Gen I, it sounds confusing but not complicating: If you convert it into nowadays stats , it's 154 Special Attack and 154 Special Defence. That's the reason why most Psychic and Ice Pokémon were feared back then.

Sub-topic 1:
What if Stat was never separated as Special Attack and Special Defense as we see today? Do you think Psychic-types are still going to run amok? (Try to think any post-Gen I Pokémon like Mega Gardevoir, Espeon, Reuniclus etc. with the old mechanic.)
Sub-topic 2:
The introduction of Dark-type, Steel-type and Ghost-type glitch fix as well as the stat amendments have altered Psychic Pokémon. Do think Psychic-type has been demoted a bit too much? Or was it a right move for Game Freak to introduce a lot of new mechanics in one generation?

I don't remember Ice giving me much issue in Gen 1. However Sabrina had a Jynx in the Gen 5 PWT that always gave me problems.

Question 1.

Maybe. Although Dual typing of many Psychic types would come into play. Mewtwo is powerful even now even without mega evolutions. Gardevoir's Fairy typing helps remove the dark type weakness which is very helpful as nearly everything seems to have Crunch and Sucker Punch. If Special was one stat it would indeed imbalance as Psychic is still a strong type and would get even stronger.

Question 2.

I think Game Freak made the right move. Having a 'Super Type' is bad for the game and even though Psychic is my favourite type. I want as balanced game as possible.

Two of the Champion's signature Pokemon have been Psychic Type (Gardevoir and Metagross), only Dragon has had more. (Haxorus. Garchomp and Dragonite). Psychic is still one of the top typings in the game and I think has the most legendaries in the game.

Psychic is still one of the top types particularly with the Gen 6 Fairy nerf to Dragon.

Sun

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
I don't remember Ice giving me much issue in Gen 1. However Sabrina had a Jynx in the Gen 5 PWT that always gave me problems.

Question 1.

Maybe. Although Dual typing of many Psychic types would come into play. Mewtwo is powerful even now even without mega evolutions. Gardevoir's Fairy typing helps remove the dark type weakness which is very helpful as nearly everything seems to have Crunch and Sucker Punch. If Special was one stat it would indeed imbalance as Psychic is still a strong type and would get even stronger.

Question 2.

I think Game Freak made the right move. Having a 'Super Type' is bad for the game and even though Psychic is my favourite type. I want as balanced game as possible.

Two of the Champion's signature Pokemon have been Psychic Type (Gardevoir and Metagross), only Dragon has had more. (Haxorus. Garchomp and Dragonite). Psychic is still one of the top typings in the game and I think has the most legendaries in the game.

Psychic is still one of the top types particularly with the Gen 6 Fairy nerf to Dragon.

You can further elaborate it in the Ice-type Club. ;)

Yeah, Pokémon like Gardevoir is definitely running amok if Special wasn't separated.

I personally think that the cut towards Psychic-types was harsh though. While Psychic-types aren't useless but it really demoted them to a average level. Fortunately, everything is almost fair nowadays, not a lone type stands as 'the best type' as oppose to the generations before Gen VI.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
You can further elaborate it in the Ice-type Club. ;)

Yeah, Pokémon like Gardevoir is definitely running amok if Special wasn't separated.

I personally think that the cut towards Psychic-types was harsh though. While Psychic-types aren't useless but it really demoted them to a average level. Fortunately, everything is almost fair nowadays, not a lone type stands as 'the best type' as oppose to the generations before Gen VI.

Jynx is perhaps the one Psychic Type I never do well against yet I have never used one. Something I need to look into.

Can you imagine Diantha's Mega Gardevoir if the special wasn't separated? Cynthia's Garchomp would look like a cakewalk in comparison.

I haven't played Gen 2 too much (Other than a speed run of Silver) but the nerfs to Psychic were a shock to the system. Whilst there are a few types that could do with a buff. psychic is not one of them.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
Years
What if Stat was never separated as Special Attack and Special Defense as we see today? Do you think Psychic-types are still going to run amok?
Yes, some of them (e.g. Gardevoir) would run amok and therefore belong to uber tier.

It was a right move, having one superior type would've been bad for the competitive scene in the long run.

Btw, 7th post so it's time to evolve Kirlia into a Gardevoir.

Last edited:

Sun

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Jynx is perhaps the one Psychic Type I never do well against yet I have never used one. Something I need to look into.

Can you imagine Diantha's Mega Gardevoir if the special wasn't separated? Cynthia's Garchomp would look like a cakewalk in comparison.

I haven't played Gen 2 too much (Other than a speed run of Silver) but the nerfs to Psychic were a shock to the system. Whilst there are a few types that could do with a buff. psychic is not one of them.

Jynx isn't that impressive, nowadays. There are speedy Dark-types like Weavile who's gonna hack her with Night Slash, fast moves like Bullet Punch and so on. :(

Not really if Garchomp is still going to be a threat with that 80 (or 120 as Mega) or 85 (or 95 as Mega) Special stat (basing in his Special Attack and Special Defense). It means a Special Garchomp hits hard and blocks Special moves with ease.

It's particularly worse (for Psychic) when moves like X-Scissor, Mega Horn and U-Turn are introduced for the Bugs.

What if Stat was never separated as Special Attack and Special Defense as we see today? Do you think Psychic-types are still going to run amok?
Yes, some of them (e.g. Gardevoir) would run amok and therefore belong to uber tier.

It was a right move, having one superior type would've been bad for the competitive scene in the long run.

Btw, 7th post so it's time to evolve Kirlia into a Gardevoir.

You're the first member with a Gardevoir! ^_^ Congratulations! Pick a new Pokémon from the starters as a second partner. :) (No worries, Gardevoir is still there).

tumblr_noxc5rSX0Y1rcwf0xo1_500.gif

EDIT: [S-HIGHLIGHT]Tell me anything about Jirachi (Not a main topic, and feel free to make one just don't ignore this).[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

Last edited:

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
Years

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
Jynx isn't that impressive, nowadays. There are speedy Dark-types like Weavile who's gonna hack her with Night Slash, fast moves like Bullet Punch and so on. :(

Not really if Garchomp is still going to be a threat with that 80 (or 120 as Mega) or 85 (or 95 as Mega) Special stat (basing in his Special Attack and Special Defense). It means a Special Garchomp hits hard and blocks Special moves with ease.

It's particularly worse (for Psychic) when moves like X-Scissor, Mega Horn and U-Turn are introduced for the Bugs.

You're the first member with a Gardevoir! ^_^ Congratulations! Pick a new Pokémon from the starters as a second partner. :) (No worries, Gardevoir is still there).

tumblr_noxc5rSX0Y1rcwf0xo1_500.gif

EDIT: [S-HIGHLIGHT]Tell me anything about Jirachi (Not a main topic, and feel free to make one just don't ignore this).[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

Poor human-shape Pokemon . I still plan to use Jynx (Along with other Psychic Types I never use) After all if Ralts was in 5th Gen I would have never used the Gothitelle line.

Oddly Iris' Haxorus gave me more problems than Garchomp.

Dark Moves hit Psychic hard which is one if the reasons I am pleased Gardevoir became part fairy type.

Jirachi - The Wishmaker Pokemon. This Pokémon is not known to evolve from or into any Pokemon. It's Shiny form has a yellow and red headress.

I have 16 posts. How many do I need for a Gothitelle and also to evolve little Ralts into a Kirlia?

Sun

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
I pick Abra.

Jirachi is steel/Psychic-type pokémon that has power to grant wishes but it only awakens for 7 days every 1000 years.

Okay, I'll update the list for you!

That's good. :)

Poor human-shape Pokemon . I still plan to use Jynx (Along with other Psychic Types I never use) After all if Ralts was in 5th Gen I would have never used the Gothitelle line.

Oddly Iris' Haxorus gave me more problems than Garchomp.

Dark Moves hit Psychic hard which is one if the reasons I am pleased Gardevoir became part fairy type.

Jirachi - The Wishmaker Pokemon. This Pokémon is not known to evolve from or into any Pokemon. It's Shiny form has a yellow and red headress.

I have 16 posts. How many do I need for a Gothitelle and also to evolve little Ralts into a Kirlia?

It would be better if she receives a real evolution or Mega Evolution someday. Hahaha, I can see you using Ralts in the Gen VI games. {XD}

Particularly those Physical Dark moves, ugh they are evil and really live up to their name. {XD}

That's good as well. :)

Aww.. The answer for Ralts is already included in the main thread. :'( I think it's 10, hahaha but you better check the main thread for an accurate answer.~ Additionally you can evolve Kirlia into Gallade or have a total of 7 posts (here in Psychic-Club) for a Gardevoir (15 posts* for members who joined after Mewtwolover).

** 50% Coupon is up, further divide that 15 by 2 and remember to round the decimal numbers for a whole number.

All in-game level-up Pokémon applies for that divide mechanic. For example Abra evolves into Kadabra at Level 16, right? Divide 16 by 2, so you get 8. In order for Gothorita to evolve into Gothitelle only 16 posts is needed. (Since 50% Coupon is still up, remember to divide 16 by 2.)

Years
I think I can evolve my Kirlia to Gardevoir now. I have 16 posts in total. And my Metang as well, if its available for evolution.

Jirachi is only obtainable by event or hacking. Which makes it kinda rare :(

Well, imma try a new topic.........hopefully this one isn't too difficult.
If you can have a Psychic pokemon in real life, who would it be? What would you have it do/do with it?
I'd probably have a Mime Jr. I really adored James' Mime Jr. in the anime, and hey, who doesn't want a little guy that mimics you in its own cute way?

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
It would be better if she receives a real evolution or Mega Evolution someday. Hahaha, I can see you using Ralts in the Gen VI games. {XD}

Particularly those Physical Dark moves, ugh they are evil and really live up to their name. {XD}

That's good as well. :)

Aww.. The answer for Ralts is already included in the main thread. :'( I think it's 10, hahaha but you better check the main thread for an accurate answer.~ Additionally you can evolve Kirlia into Gallade or have a total of 7 posts (here in Psychic-Club) for a Gardevoir (15 posts* for members who joined after Mewtwolover).

** 50% Coupon is up, further divide that 15 by 2 and remember to round the decimal numbers for a whole number.

All in-game level-up Pokémon applies for that divide mechanic. For example Abra evolves into Kadabra at Level 16, right? Divide 16 by 2, so you get 8. In order for Gothorita to evolve into Gothitelle only 16 posts is needed. (Since 50% Coupon is still up, remember to divide 16 by 2.)

I am on 17 posts now so can I evolve Gothorita please. I think I need one more post to evolve Ralts as I have 9 posts since obtaining her.

I can see Mega Jynx being made to look more elegant, have the hair in a bob and brunette (Rather than long and bleach Blonde) and the dress more white and flowing. Might get a type change as well as Ice/Psychic has a fair few weaknesses.

A Ralts as my starter in an Alpha Sapphire Evolocke. Hmmm.

If you can have a Psychic Pokemon in Real life what would it be? What would you do with it?

Having a Gardevoir or Gothitelle might be awkward so I will follow Delia's lead and have a Mr Mime clean and help around the house.

Sun

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
I think I can evolve my Kirlia to Gardevoir now. I have 16 posts in total. And my Metang as well, if its available for evolution.

Jirachi is only obtainable by event or hacking. Which makes it kinda rare :(

Well, imma try a new topic.........hopefully this one isn't too difficult.
If you can have a Psychic pokemon in real life, who would it be? What would you have it do/do with it?
I'd probably have a Mime Jr. I really adored James' Mime Jr. in the anime, and hey, who doesn't want a little guy that mimics you in its own cute way?

A Gardevoir and a Metagross for you!~ Pick your third partner.

I am on 17 posts now so can I evolve Gothorita please. I think I need one more post to evolve Ralts as I have 9 posts since obtaining her.

I can see Mega Jynx being made to look more elegant, have the hair in a bob and brunette (Rather than long and bleach Blonde) and the dress more white and flowing. Might get a type change as well as Ice/Psychic has a fair few weaknesses.

A Ralts as my starter in an Alpha Sapphire Evolocke. Hmmm.

If you can have a Psychic Pokemon in Real life what would it be? What would you do with it?

Having a Gardevoir or Gothitelle might be awkward so I will follow Delia's lead and have a Mr Mime clean and help around the house.

NO! Only 5 posts is needed to evolve Ralts (for now), because the 50% Discount Coupon is up right now as I said for a few times already. T^T Please check the main thread for more about the 50% Discount Coupon.

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Normally a total of 10 posts for Ralts to evolve into Kirlia and a total of 15 posts for Kilia to become Gardevoir. With 50% Discount Coupon effective only a total of 5 posts for Ralts to evolve into Kirlia and a total of 7 posts for Kilia to become Gardevoir.[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Post counts stack ups (as long as they are posts for this Club). It means if you have 100 posts, you don't need to make more posts to evolve your new Pokémon.[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

So you can evolve both Gothorita and Ralts now. Oh and don't forget to pick a third partner!

I hope that clears any misunderstanding. I might need to write a FAQ for the clubs with campaigns.~

This also marks the ending for the Jirachi questions.

EDIT: I have updated your teams, please check it if I have made any mistakes.

Last edited:
Years
Hmm, how strange. I received a Jirachi for answering the mini trivia? I'm not complaining though, Jirachi is a cute addition to my team ^^ in case that's a mistake though, I'll get Mime Jr. Otherwise, Jirachi's fine.

Sun

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Hmm, how strange. I received a Jirachi for answering the mini trivia? I'm not complaining though, Jirachi is a cute addition to my team ^^ in case that's a mistake though, I'll get Mime Jr. Otherwise, Jirachi's fine.

That is to celebrate Tanabata. So participating members are awarded with a Jirachi with Mewtwolove's as a Shiny one since he replied first.

Okay, a Mime Jr. for you then. :) It can be tricky to evolve, 'In order to evolve it, 3 people need to join Psychic-type Club after obtaining Mime Jr.' I have to stress that evolution isn't necessary; it can remain as a Mime Jr. if the owner prefers it that way. :)

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
Years
Espeon, it would be a cute pet.

I'd like to evolve Abra into Kadabra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back