• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Indexing and Inserting Sprites

Dragonmaster91

It's just common sense!
Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Jul 24, 2010
Pokemon-LegendofMew.png

Ripped directly from platinum. If you do what I did, you might have to edit a bit more. At least, I did not have to palette edit. :P

Yeah, I replaced those ?? pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2011
I need help, I am having problem with offset number...

The unLZ-GBA program seem to not work consistently I open the pokemon fire red rom and enter random number (yes random number cause I don't know how you would look at hex number and get out a decimal number? cause I did use a a hex to decimal calc and so did not get the right number...) But once i found it the number around the 2630 zone, I edit import the image but i can't see seem to overwrite the offset of the picture that i want. But make trouble worse, when I close the program unLZ-GBA and delete the modified (wrongly) rom, then re-open the same source rom, it doesn't even go to the exact number that i take over 30 min to randomly find (why does this happen?)

Aside from the using hex editor to find the offset number which to be use in the program unLZ-GBA, the rest is clear to my eyes but when i did it, it just doesn't work.

I am not a computer noob :( but it seem to me like this program: unLZ-GBA have problem.

Unless i am wrong, please help me.

Thank you,
- Victor

Dragonmaster91

It's just common sense!
Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Jul 24, 2010
I need help, I am having problem with offset number...

The unLZ-GBA program seem to not work consistently I open the pokemon fire red rom and enter random number (yes random number cause I don't know how you would look at hex number and get out a decimal number? cause I did use a a hex to decimal calc and so did not get the right number...) But once i found it the number around the 2630 zone, I edit import the image but i can't see seem to overwrite the offset of the picture that i want. But make trouble worse, when I close the program unLZ-GBA and delete the modified (wrongly) rom, then re-open the same source rom, it doesn't even go to the exact number that i take over 30 min to randomly find (why does this happen?)

Aside from the using hex editor to find the offset number which to be use in the program unLZ-GBA, the rest is clear to my eyes but when i did it, it just doesn't work.

I am not a computer noob :( but it seem to me like this program: unLZ-GBA have problem.

Unless i am wrong, please help me.

Thank you,
- Victor
966, that is mews number. When you search for a certain pokemon, look around there through 1400.

luker05

Banned
Years
Kay so my sprites go in fine, especially the front sprites. But when I have to import a sprite that is too big or whatever and I have to open the hex aditor to find free space (im asuming those are the large areas in the middle with lots of FFFF's) and i copy the offset, and do it that way, the game freezes when it attempts to load the sprite. Is there a certain area in the hex stuff that i should be getting the offset from?

Years
  • Seen Oct 8, 2010
How big would the trainer profile sprite be? If I wanted to insert a replacement trainer sprite?

Also, I can't find the in-game trainer sprites for the main characters and rival (profile or backsprite using unzl.gba)

Last edited:

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
So... This helps!
And I was doing the palletes by myself in APE...
Thanks! You made my life easier!

You are welcome~

Ripped directly from platinum. If you do what I did, you might have to edit a bit more. At least, I did not have to palette edit. :P

Yeah, I replaced those ?? pokemon.

um, yeah.
so what? :\

This is a very good tutorial and the video makes life a lot easier :P

thanks~

(Message too long)

Thank you,
- Victor

Do I still need to answer or does Dragonmaster's answer is enough?

Kay so my sprites go in fine, especially the front sprites. But when I have to import a sprite that is too big or whatever and I have to open the hex aditor to find free space (im asuming those are the large areas in the middle with lots of FFFF's) and i copy the offset, and do it that way, the game freezes when it attempts to load the sprite. Is there a certain area in the hex stuff that i should be getting the offset from?

Did you clicked the Automatically Fix Pointers checkbox?
Also, you might notice that in the Image offset, there, example, is 00123456... You should not remove those two 0's...

When you're inserting backsprite, is it the same as you insert frontsprite?

yep, but if you already insert the pallete of the front sprite, then you don't need to import the pallete to the backsprite.

How big would the trainer profile sprite be? If I wanted to insert a replacement trainer sprite?

Also, I can't find the in-game trainer sprites for the main characters and rival (profile or backsprite using unzl.gba)

the same size as the pokemon sprites.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
I just used this tutorial for inserting a trainer and worked amazingly which meant no messing about with palettes. This is definitely the best tutorial on sprite indexing and inserting I've read :)

Years
  • Seen Oct 8, 2010
No it is not the same size as Pokemon... I mean the trainer profile sprite - the sprite you see of the hero/your own character during the intro and on your trainer card..

This is what I get:
Spoiler:

from this:

Spoiler:

destinedjagold

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
No it is not the same size as Pokemon... I mean the trainer profile sprite - the sprite you see of the hero/your own character during the intro and on your trainer card..

oh, that.
are you using FireRed or Ruby?
If Ruby, then it's the same size.
If you're hacking FireRed, then this is the wrong tutorial.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
What do you mean by I don't need to import the pallete to the backsprite?

He means that since you've done the front sprite, you will have imported the palette. So there's no need to import it for the backsprite because the palette wil already be there.

Years
  • Seen Oct 8, 2010

oh, that.
are you using FireRed or Ruby?
If Ruby, then it's the same size.
If you're hacking FireRed, then this is the wrong tutorial.

:( Yeah I'm hacking Fire Red..

But do you have any idea though, for Fire Red I mean..

I managed to get something like this:
Spoiler:

Any help would be appreciated..

Last edited:

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years

Spoiler:

Ahh, there's a tutorial for this made by >Dante< called called Changing the intro Hero in FR correctly. Use that for help.

destinedjagold

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023

Spoiler:

Sorry but I am not hacking FireRed, and as I said, this is the wrong tutorial for your concern.
And as Pokepal17 stated, search for Dante's tutorial.
Thank you~

Back