• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire*

Here's to the crazy ones.
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 29, 2013
What first drew you to roleplaying?

Hmm, that is an interesting question. I think my journey to roleplaying began a few years ago when I was in the midst of a creative writing course. At that time, I was enthralled with the idea of creating whole new worlds and stories that nobody had ever explored before and previously existed only in my imagination. I continued on that way for some time, writing original works for school and private fiction lounges. Writing by oneself is, well, lonely. I was always on the lookout for others who enjoyed writing and many games I've played in the past (what few I had time for) had a behind the scenes RPing community that seemed entirely foreign to me.

It wasn't really until I stumbled upon a site that dealt primarily with RP that my interest was piqued. It typically catered to those who loved scifi and housed some fabulous stories by some very creative and collaborative amateurs. I no longer remember the name of the site, I believe interest has waned and since caused a shutdown. I began RPing in a Star Wars RP actually. It was great. I was a morally gray smuggler mingling in the midst of high-minded, holier than thou, overplayed Jedi. The give and take that came from that first experience hooked me. I no longer had to come up with a story all on my own. Inter-character relationships felt truly dynamic and not like something I orchestrated from the start. That in itself was a revelation from someone who came strictly from a short story or small novel background.

As anybody who started RPing however, there was a steep learning curve. I was guilty of bunnying and getting carried away with scenes before others were ready. I was a noob that tried to move too fast and I quickly learned that wasn't how things worked in the RP world. Of course, I like to think I quickly course corrected and went on to become a semi decent RPer. (I still insist that I suck to this day.)

I stumbled upon this RPing scene by sheer coincidence. I was googling something about Pokemon games and stumbled upon ROM hacks. (Like many others it seems) I explored the site and noticed a RP section here. I was hooked and followed along anonymously with two RPs predominately. (Trainer Academy & Odyssey) I signed up after a few months of reading and on again off again attention. I now am a part of Odyssey, (a RP I can not speak highly about enough) and many others. The rest as they say, is history. :P

Last edited:

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Wow, I'm surprised a lot of you were ROM hackers back in the day. I was one myself before I went ahead and explored other areas of the community. By exploring, I meant lurking. xD I lurked this place for a year before I finally came around. xD

BTW, I think somebody should make a zombie roleplay based around Dead Island (if y'all still adore zombies, that is)
//just saying

I...actually have a zombie idea buried in my Skydrive, and it's Pokemon based. xD It was in its early stages but I got busy back then. lol

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
I was bored and Curious and Megan talked about Roleplaying a bit in IRC so I was like, well if something that interests me comes up Im in. And thats basically the jits of it, A Fairy Tail RP popped up and interested me so i joined it (It died way to early R.I.P) then I waited patiently for another good one (didnt want to do a pokemon one) and SAO RP came up and I was like, BINGO! And been having fun with that though sometimes people not posting is frustrating.. Not mention any names ekacyzzoxela. Thats about the story!

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
HAY GUYS. Remember that Super Smash Bros roleplay I was talking about? It's in its final stages of development and I'll get it submitted tomorrow! I'd get it posted tonight, but I have a final exam to take, so that'll have to wait xD

inb4 I WANNA BE PIKACHU

also yeah I got CWP into roleplaying like a baws.

ShinyDiamond

[b]The Other Promise[/b]
Years
HAY GUYS. Remember that Super Smash Bros roleplay I was talking about? It's in its final stages of development and I'll get it submitted tomorrow! I'd get it posted tonight, but I have a final exam to take, so that'll have to wait xD

inb4 I WANNA BE PIKACHU

also yeah I got CWP into roleplaying like a baws.

:D I know what I'm doing when it's accepted!

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
@Leaf: I'll be sure to at read it. You might even get me to join it. Time will tell though. I've been pretty picky.

A horror RP that is remotely scary (See: Not zombies) is probably the only thing that could one-up the prospect of smash brothers.

Zeyon

Beginning Trainer
Years
Okay.. so, I hope that this time, I actually found the right forum thread to post this in, without having it moved. Lol. Such a large database on these forums.. Anyway! I've been considering making a Pokemon RP. I'm still working out the mechanics on this, but I'd love for other people to help me out with it. Basically, I'm looking for two other people who would be interested in helping me get the basic outlines for the RP done, and them it will be submitted. The details are as follows:

Name: Pokemon: The Eternal Journey (Name is subject to change)

Concept: An RP that takes place in the Sinnoh Region, and will span roughly three months of real life time before completion, or possible hiatus for another installment, depending on how the first one goes.

General Information: Not everyone has to be a Trainer. In fact, it's encouraged that you take up something like a Music Star, Reporter, Breeder, High Schooler, Waiter/Waitress, or whatever else! Trainers do exist, however.. and the two that I end up accepting to help me iron out the details of this plot, will have the option of starting off as a recently defeated Elite Trainer, set on a quest to rebuild their reputation!

The general theme is a Mature Setting. It's going to have its fair share of language, and physical fighting; not just Pokemon vs. Pokemon, but Person vs. Person, too. The RP setting would basically take place four years after the actual canoninical data of the Pearl, Diamond, Platinum games. The Canon Trainer from those games was recently found dead, and clues indicate that it was possibly murder, because word got out that he owned every single Legendary Pokemon in existence.

Power struggles, evil organizations, and shady dealings are all to be expected. As I stated, the mechanics will need to be worked out before submitting for character acceptance, and then starting up.. Anyone can join, and rules will be ironed out to add a semblance of balance and equality.

So, yeah.. if you're interested.. please don't hesitate to contact me via VM, or respond to this thread for discussion. It would be easier for me to get back to people over VM, though.. Anyway.. I hope I can get this up and running, and that people are interested in assisting me with it!

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
The plot does take place in an island, which I need to scan the picture and embed it. It has angry climates, powerful enemies, and that's all I'll say! xD

Yeah, I agree with the guy above. It needs to have a plot. Like, who is the villain? What are these trainers aiming for? A competition? Is there a villain or a villain group that they need to stop? Something along those lines. But don't worry, we're here to help, so don't be intimidated by us! :)

coincidentally I became your mentor so lololol

Zeyon

Beginning Trainer
Years
@Leaf: Oh, I'm not intimidated! This is exactly what I was hoping for when I posted the idea; feedback! It's vital to creating anything worthwhile that involves other people. I appreciate any and everything that people say in the preparation stages.

Now, in regards to the plot: I've had someone contact me through PM's, and with a little luck; I can get them to come on board to help flesh out the story.. but, this is what I'm thinking so far.

The Master Trainer was murdered for having collected and tamed all of the Legendary Pokemon. The suspect(s) are unknown at this time, but a new organization has recently appeared over the last few months. Not much is known about this group, but sources say that it's a mix of old members of Team Rocket and Team Galactic that, upon their encounters with the Master Trainer, decided to turn over a new leaf, and work alongside Pokemon. Local Law Enforcement all over the Region are conducting mass-scale investigations in to the matter, with backing from this new Organization; which only goes by the name The Ascension Corporation.

Rewards have been offered to anyone who comes forth with any sort of evidence in regards to the murder of the Master Trainer. These rewards range from cash, to rare Pokemon only found in the far reaches of the world. The Ascension Corporation has even opened their doors to offer people positions within the company, depending on the value of any evidence that is presented. As fate would have it, this also springs up various groups of Mercenaries, trying to get in on the prize for their own personal gain.

That's all I've got so far on my own, but am always open to suggestion, advice, critique (so long as it's constructive). Let me know what you think!

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Hey guys! In case you didn't know, Super Smash Bros: Augustine is filling up spots fast. If you're into Super Smash Bros and you're into some action, you should ttly join! Originally I was going to accept 8 players, but I am more than willing to raise that number up to 12 if the demand arises. :D

@Leaf: Oh, I'm not intimidated! This is exactly what I was hoping for when I posted the idea; feedback! It's vital to creating anything worthwhile that involves other people. I appreciate any and everything that people say in the preparation stages.

Now, in regards to the plot: I've had someone contact me through PM's, and with a little luck; I can get them to come on board to help flesh out the story.. but, this is what I'm thinking so far.

The Master Trainer was murdered for having collected and tamed all of the Legendary Pokemon. The suspect(s) are unknown at this time, but a new organization has recently appeared over the last few months. Not much is known about this group, but sources say that it's a mix of old members of Team Rocket and Team Galactic that, upon their encounters with the Master Trainer, decided to turn over a new leaf, and work alongside Pokemon. Local Law Enforcement all over the Region are conducting mass-scale investigations in to the matter, with backing from this new Organization; which only goes by the name The Ascension Corporation.

Rewards have been offered to anyone who comes forth with any sort of evidence in regards to the murder of the Master Trainer. These rewards range from cash, to rare Pokemon only found in the far reaches of the world. The Ascension Corporation has even opened their doors to offer people positions within the company, depending on the value of any evidence that is presented. As fate would have it, this also springs up various groups of Mercenaries, trying to get in on the prize for their own personal gain.

That's all I've got so far on my own, but am always open to suggestion, advice, critique (so long as it's constructive). Let me know what you think!

The plot is good so far. I would recommend you to explain more about this "master trainer". Why was he the target of the combined groups? His name would be helpful too. xD

Overall, I really like how this is going. :D

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
Years

My boyfriend who was just my best friend around that time, but he showed me the fun of roleplaying, then a few months later he showed me this site, and now i'm here~

sorry i dont answer so often here anymore xD i'll do now, since i have my computer back and such :3

Zeyon

Beginning Trainer
Years
Hm, I've been thinking about making a Persona RP for a while now, buuut I'm just not sure how it would work yet!

Persona?! I LOVE YOU! It is SO HARD to find people who've even HEARD of that game, let alone express interest in it! I've played every single Shin Megami Tensei game that's been made, thus far. I would definitely be down with this.

@Leaf: Okay.. so, I've been working with who I intend to bring on as AGM with my Pokemon: The Eternal Journey plot. We've actually revamped a good bit of things since my initial postings. We've dropped the concept of The Master Trainer, to avoid a conflict of interest. The Master Trainer was going to be the male trainer that you play as through Pearl. The conflict presented itself that, if this were the case, /my/ interpretation of how The Master Trainer handled things is completely different from how everyone else's did. The Antagonist Organization; previously named The Ascension Corporation, has been completely redone as well. They are now called The Shamans -- benevolent name, mysterious, and doesn't tie them to any alignment or previous Organization; IE: Team Rocket or Team Galactic.

The Master Trainer has since been shifted merely to, "The Champion", as in, Pokemon League Champion. The reason he was taken out, is because of multiple facets, really. The primary -- and main reason that brought The Shamans in -- was his control over the Legendary Pokemon. Another aspect, was his sheer ability as a Pokemon Trainer. He was, the best in the Region. No one came close.

More information is still being worked on, as we're still in the planning stage.. but the majority of things have been finished, even down to the Pokemon stat and level structure. More details will be released, the closer we get to submitting the idea for approval, and then accepting applications for players. Again, in my initial posting, I stated that I was looking for two or three more people to assist me with this. Since then, only one person has taken the time -- and interest -- in working with me on this. I can still work one more person in to the fold to assist with this, and give them more of a Narrator approach, to help keep the plot going, introduce new elements, and assist with NPC control. If interested, please send me a PM, and we can try to get all information forwarded to you to get your opinion on the plot as a whole, and then work on finalizing everything.

I'm being scarce on big details as best as I can right now, because if all the information is given in the planning stages, then the element of shock and interest will fade, since everyone will know what to expect. The full details will be released, once all of the planning is completely done, and the idea is submitted to the forum Mods for approval. Suddenly, you get an "Oh, this is new.." *opens and reads* "Holy hell..! I want to play!" <--- Well, that's what we're hoping anyway.. Heh.

Eeveemaster9

Years of Lies
Years

Gosh, that was.... Six years ago? I cannot even remember why I started roleplaying... Even at that age, I was certain I would become a writer when I was older. (I was that strange kid on the block who had no female friends, and hung out with a boy at my school who was at least five years older than me. We were the bestest of friends!)

I suppose it was because I felt like it was just one step to help me become a better writer in the future. I have definitely seen an approvement each and every year.

How do you go about writing your in-character posts? Your Sign-Ups?

Creepy, I know... But I spend the day acting the way my character would act. I literally become that character, and experience what it feels like. Then, writing the post comes naturally. It's not so much "What would **** do" but rather, "What would I do if I was ****"?

What types of roleplays do you like?

The sadistic ones.

What traits do many of your characters seem to share?

You're asking me to calculate the average trait between my 80+ characters? No. Even if I took the characters from my current roleplay... That's twenty people right there...

Uh, the inability to be fazed by magick? Is that a trait?

Why do your write? For fun or for some other reason?

I don't want to sound like a chinese philosopher.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
(just want to make a quick post but if there's a RP of Persona I'll like to try RPing, though I only played Persona 3/4. Surprised there's not a lot of threads or anything-anywhere on PC about Persona/SMT series D: )

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
It's currently my One-Year Anniversary to joining PC~!

It's also one of the last repetitive dates for a long time, 12/12/12.

I'd just like to say, in my year of PC, it's been wonderful. You're all fantastic people and fun to RP with!

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
It seemed like you've been here for three tbh xD

How about a topic to celebrate, yeah?

Nakuzami asked this but people leaned over to "What drew you to roleplaying?" so imma take that xD: What types of roleplays do you like? Maybe one with lots of action/fighting, one with good plot, or one where everybody interacts! Why?

Years
I've recent'y drafted a completely original RP (although I will admit the style of characters etc was based loosely on Final Fantasy) and I wanted to both make sure you can make RPs like this on here and gauge interest.

Basically you can play either as an oppressed Gladiator who competes for the entertainment of the people or you can play as a member of the military loyal to the royal family. The story is fairly lose giving a lot of freedom to RPers although major story events exploring both this tension and the tension between nations will occur. It is a little more detailed then that but that is a brief synopsis of the story.

What do you guys think? Is this kind of RP even allowed? PM me if you want more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back