• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Oh, I thought that was true

Years
Was there a myth(s) that you at first believed in or understood but then found out it was false?

As a kid, I use to think that the Sun is closer to the Earth than it is really far away and that Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy were real.

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
When i was a kid i thought things used to be black and white too!!

We have this bird in Australia called the "Plover" Its real name is the "Masked Lapwing"
There is this myth in our country that this bird had venom / poison in the spurs on its wing. This is actually false. So yeah. :)
There actually psychos but. So its easy to understand why people were lead to believe it.
I have an image here of one.
Spoiler:

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
I used to think food companies set up hidden cameras around everyone's houses to see how they eat foods so they can make commercials that show people eating their food in a normal way. I honestly have no idea why I thought that but it just made sense in my 8-year-old mind.

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
Did you know its that some plovers are known to build nests near airports & not even an aircraft taking off will scare them off their nests? FACT
Off topic but yeah. :P

EDIT: I used to tell my online buddies that pre schoolers rode kangaroos to school. ;)
So i was a sort of contributor to that.. well lie.. :D

Years
I used to think television shows (and commercials) were all improvised, until I took TV production classes in high school and found out it was all pre-scripted. Since then, my views on watching TV have changed.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
Haha, me and my friend used to believe there was a planet where all cartoon characters lived.

Let's see, what else? I always somewhat believed my toys were alive like in Toy Story... obviously I don't believe that now and it's a rather scary thought. And of course like pretty much every child, I believed in Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy and all that. I used to believe the Easter Bunny came through to our world through a mirror every Easter, and that she lived in a world where everything was really bright and there were chicks and candy eggs everywhere. And that Mother Nature was an actual figure, and if I asked her to make it stop raining maybe she would listen. I was an overly imaginative child :U

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I thought babies came out from the stomach when they are born. I mean.. sometimes they do come out from the stomach but I thought they ONLY came out from the stomach and nowhere else ;~;

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
I thought you could get pregnant by eating LOL

Apart from that, bedbugs are not invisible like many people think. They're about 3/4 of the size of your pinky fingernail and a reddish-brown colour, pending if they've fed or not. You can see them and they live inside matresses, seams and electrical panelling. They're nasty lol

Oshamaru

Legs go, Megaman!
Years
I also used to think that the past was in black and white.
I also used to think that the Earth had more continents and was infinite, but they weren't discovered yet. :P

Last edited:

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
I used to think babies fell from space into their mother's arms for some reason :U The one with the baby coming out of the stomach reminds me of those weird face-hugger aliens xD

Years
I've never heard of that. But yeah, they are very protective of their young, when I was in primary school some kids killed a chick by hitting it with a rock and harassing them :'( Most people see them as annoying but they're just following natural instinct. Speaking of myths, did anyone of you gullible Yanks think it was real that we Aussies ride in Kangaroo's pouches to school, There is a violent subspecies of Koala called the Dropbear which is much larger and kills people by dropping onto it's unsuspecting victims from above or that everyone speaks like Steve Irwin and dingoes stealing babies is a significant cause of the infant mortality rate? Because it's all true :D shhhhh, I like to troll silly tourists...

Don't forget playing frisbee with the crocs. ;)

Nah but I actually used to believe that there were evil Koalas that eat people.. I was young and my brother told me and showed me a picture, shh. :P
I thought babies came out from the stomach when they are born. I mean.. sometimes they do come out from the stomach but I thought they ONLY came out from the stomach and nowhere else ;~;
Me too! I thought thats what the belly buttons were for, and they just like opened up, but turns out it's not the belly button.. Also, on that note, I used to think boys and girls had the same thing-a-ding-lings. Haha :P

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2016
When I was a kid I thought my toys could talk. I used to peek through the door lock just to see if my toys would talk and I was convinced they could, especially my Pokémon and Toy Story toys.

Years
I thought that if you got too close to a screen your eyeballs would pop out of your head and stick there. It didn't help me realize this wasn't true when I was told this would happen several times from several adults.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2017
i used to think that babies were held in the Stomach or blatter then went thru the vagina.
all the way up to Grade 9.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I was very scared of the dark when I was little, and used to think that monsters would get me whenever I didn't have the lights turned on. I used to think monsters were hiding under my bed, too, so I would make my mom check my bed every night before I went to sleep. I also used to think that dolls were possessed by ghosts, so I'd cry ever time I got anywhere near them. I was such a scaredy-cat, haha.

Last edited:
Back