• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Old-fashioned pokemon journeys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justokre

Open your eyes.
Years
I was just wondering why I never see any new RP thread for a small group of players to start on their own pokemon journeys, like the games and tv shows.
Is it because they were so overdone before that no one wants to do them? Too hard to execute? Always end up boring?

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Mar 23, 2022
Well, probably because most people don't want to fashion a good plot for it. :/

And some people find that rather boring anyway. Remember, aimless roleplays aren't allowed at PC. So we don't just wander around. If you can find an extensive way to make a plot for a journey to become a pokemon master at whatever, then you know... By all means, do! ^^

justokre

Open your eyes.
Years
Hm, ok. Maybe I'll come up with something soon =)

Would it be plausible to have one person be a sort of DM, handling only the plot and secondary characters and scenary, while three players only control themselves and maybe their pokemon?
I'm not sure how this commmunity might feel about something like that.

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Mar 23, 2022
DM? :/ I can't think of what that anagram might go to, but if you just have one person handling the secondary characters and scenery, that's... I don't know, I don't think that's a good idea, simply because the people in this community are more accustomed to making their own secondary characters, and describing the scenery around them.

But... If you want to PM me with the fine-tuned detail's, I'll take a look into it, because I'm not quite positive what your idea is.

Scales

Man of Infinite Jest
Years
Hm, ok. Maybe I'll come up with something soon =)

Would it be plausible to have one person be a sort of DM, handling only the plot and secondary characters and scenary, while three players only control themselves and maybe their pokemon?
I'm not sure how this commmunity might feel about something like that.

Ive recently created secrets of legendaries which is a starting trainer story. But it has a small plot twist in it. Anyway it starts out as a few trainers getting starter pokemon.

I think the reason people dont want to do starting trainer stories is because they want to start out with really powerful pokemon instead of small rookies. Most people will normally give you an excuse that it makes it more available for a plot but I disagree and think that having a starter trainer story gives it more plot and makes it longer

Last edited:

Scales

Man of Infinite Jest
Years
From all of my time here in this forum I only made two RPs. Both in which are done the "old-fashioned" way and both were in fact finished. Haven't heard of my RP's? Take a look, both were very popular for their time:

Pokémon
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=66589

Pokémon II
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=66589

Enjoy =)

Stantler I would recommend remaking one of those roleplays. So that you can have a newer generation of roleplayers

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2013
Don't worry, I have something in the works ;)

But until its complete I hope my previous work will inspire others to make RPs.

Thank you,
Stantler

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
I think the reason people dont want to do starting trainer stories is because they want to start out with really powerful pokemon instead of small rookies. Most people will normally give you an excuse that it makes it more available for a plot but I disagree and think that having a starter trainer story gives it more plot and makes it longer

In my experience, people avoid them because they tend to be hosted by clueless N00Bs and consequently lack a point. It sure as heck isn't the weak pokémon, because I made my RPers in Neo Genesis start out from rock bottom with newborns and I was still swamped with sign-ups. xD

Yeah, it's more an issue of the plot (or more often lack thereof). Also, keep in mind that the pokémon journey is a signature plot of clueless newbies so there may be biases against it. I'm sure a well-written one with a bit of focus to it will work, though. :3 (I know I'd be up for one if it's up to scratch in terms of quality)

Last edited:

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Mar 23, 2022
I know none of you are directly doing this, but before we start stepping over this thin line, seeing as we're treading on it...

This is not a thread to advertise your roleplay's.
^^

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years
Er... DM stands for "Dungeon Master", the player responsible for outlining the plot and setting in tradtional tabletop RPGs, Mizzi. [/nerdiness]

Ahem... I'd say that as far as starting out goes, trainer plots do sometimes never get off the ground because of the whole "starting with weaklings" thing. I mean, (not to advertise, but) in Neo Genesis, starting with wet-behind-the-ears newborns ain't such a bad thing because our characters are A) enveloped in a completely crazy plot, and B) Have other accomplishments outside of training Pokemon to balance their lack of experience as a trainer. In a lot of the "n00bier" trainer journeys, you aren't given that choice. Your character is ten years old, knows nothing, and is randomly given a Pokemon who can't win cool battles and won't obey him for heaven knows how long. It starts to get boring, and roleplayers lose interest. So I'd say that it is usually a safer bet to let the roleplayers have some leeway in age and accomplishments rather than have them start off as just useless ten-year-olds who barely know what a Pokedex is. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back