• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adwares.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
There's a different kind of software, which works like a freeware, but filled with some advertising stuffs (like the well-known OpenCandy) to support the developer of the software. What's your opinion on adwares, do you enjoy using it just like you would enjoy the freewares? Or does it concerns you because of advertising inside of it?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I'm not a fan of advertisement in general. Adware's one of these things that I striktly avoid, especially that one of the "unknown source" kind. You never know if the software you just downloaded doesn't do something else, the user is unaware of.

Years
Just so you guys know, if you have Skype on your computer, you technically have adware installed. ;)

Not all adware is bad though, such as Skype. However, it becomes malicious whenever you start to see advertising links like constant popups or even ads not generated by a website.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Pretty sure apps that has advertisements within itself and not causing other apps to have them too aren't exactly what we call adware :)

(By that point, though, it's malware.)

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I don't have anything against adwares, but some do tend to get annoying, in a way, when they begin affecting your web browsers and force advertisements to appear in form of pop-ups (as stated couple of posts above), redirect pages, and so forth; they're bothersome (have gone through them a few times before). I'm not sure if they have a different term for these sort of things, but I've seen others refer to them as adware, so I do the same.

Years
It kinda gets stupid after a while seeing advertisements for things i'm obviously not going to bother even looking at. I remember when I had a Yahoo mail account and its spam box would always be full of things I never cared to see.

probono

Angel's Light, That Beams Beyond the Spheres
Years
Just so you guys know, if you have Skype on your computer, you technically have adware installed. ;)
ggggggggggg. trying so hard to get my friends to switch to a less garbage im program like pidgin because i was getting tired of the adtrash it comes with but those smutpeddlers are too set in their ways to change. it's even worse with the new update which just makes everything slower than it needs to be.

CURSE COMPLACENCY

Years
If there's like a billion and/or huge adverts in a product, nope. brb I'm going back to google to find something else. I don't pay attention to the ads anyway and I think it's tacky as hell to have many in-your-face ads.

Skype is at least okay for me since I don't notice the ads all that much.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I personally think adwares can be good if the ads don't show up too much, or showing up in the most annoying way possible, which is why mostly I prefer another apps which don't have one, with exception of Skype, that is.

Back