• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Original] Nothing (A Short Garble)

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
AN: Well. I just thought of this and thought I'd write this. I took a liking to this.

Nothing
Zero isn't the same as nothing.

Zero is an integer: A defined number of which we have no real understanding of. Sure, we can give those numbers meanings, but in actuality, it is a language, in of itself. Defined rules and structures used for communication, but in our case, communication, not in the sense of speaking. So what is zero? Is it a middle ground between the fixations of a positive and negative number? Perhaps, you would know that from school.

If you looked at a number line, the number zero is just a barrier that defines the borders between positive and negative. Go one above zero, you have a positive integer; One below, now it is a negative integer. When you add a positive and a negative of a same value, you will always end up at the number zero.

What is zero? A number which acts as stability between right and wrong. A perfectly, safe neutrality? But why is it used in negative connotation?

We call people a "Zero", someone who has no chance to become something, perhaps the very worst insult to our kind today. The insult of amounting to nothing in life. Harsh.

But you are reading this on a computer. A computer which is made up with a binary sequence of just zeroes and ones. Interesting.

"Zero", a number that is said to have nothing special. Something that in of itself, means nothing at all. Yet that same number can help produce a set of instructions, that is used to string programs, which together makes a computer.

Some of the best nothing, I've ever seen, in my life.

So how could something that can help make something, as amazing as a computer, which shaped our modern era, be nothing? It seems counterintuitive to me.

But what is nothing?

Nothing is emptiness. Nothing is ignorance of knowing. But it has evolved from a term that means "to be absolutely void of something" to "to be absolutely void of anything, interesting"...

One word makes a gigantic difference.

You could sit down, like me or anyone else. But chances are when you get a text or e-mail about what you are currently doing. It is nothing.

Texting, emailing and sitting isn't nothing. But it isn't noteworthy, therefore it isn't relevant. That in of itself, is nothing to our day and age.

Irrelevancy.

We as humans are not fascinated by the small joys of life, like sitting, seeing, and walking, but rather the more interesting things. We need and want for something that isn't "nothing". A good story to read, a video game with, well, put together mechanics, or a person to chat with for the next few hours. Something that is bigger than ourselves. So in the subject of scale, what about Space?

Space is a weird place. In the context of Earth, it is so much bigger. Humans, where we are used to all the products of the Earth, like technology and food, see Space, as nothing like our luscious, greenish, Earth. A place of nothing.

Nothing is emptiness.

But we haven't explored, even a noteworthy fraction of Space. We wouldn't know anything, it had to offer, simply because we don't know and will never know in our time.

Nothing is ignorance of knowing.

Yet, Space does have marvelous joys. Stars and planets. Galaxies upon Galaxies. Comet to meteors. But to us humans, how do those things, help us? It doesn't have any relevancy to our living conditions, here.

But it has evolved from a term that means "to be absolutely void of something" to "to be absolutely void of anything, interesting"

So that is nothing. And zero, something that has the potential of stability of two opposing forces. A potential to create complex programs, like the Internet. It isn't nothing. It is the start of something new. A middle ground that can tip either way. Good or Bad.

But since zero doesn't tip those scales, it is nothing to us. But those words couldn't more wrong. Can't it?

You are reading this short garble about nothing on something that was created by our current definition of nothing. Something that isn't relevant in the context of you. For you, how binary works or whatever, may not be something to you. But something created by zeroes and ones, can't mean that zero is nothing. Right?

So think of this, next time, you say something in the context of nothing. Because Zero isn't the same as nothing.

Back