• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Showdown OU (Current)

Years
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
Pretty much just trying to build an all-purpose team. I think a weakness of it though is weather teams. I think the first 4 picks are pretty solid, but I cannot figure out how to tie it all together with the last two pokemon Infernape and Reniculus.

Tornadus (M) @ Flying Gem
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Acrobatics
- Superpower
- U-turn
I decided to go for something sort of gimmicky and go for a Tornadus Scout as a lead. I used it for awhile and was surprised by the effectiveness for this layout. The one time shot Acrobatics is great for certain leads as a OHKO or even saving for later in the battle due to free U-turn. Help stop stallers with priority taunt as well or even prevent setting up further.
Edit: Change from 168 Spd -> 252 and Jolly nature > Adamant.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 Spd
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunder
- Substitute
- Psyshock
Standard set I think and very versatile. Lots of bulk and resistances. Potential for sweep and mixed attacker as well.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Scald
- Wish
- Toxic
Without a spinner, Vaporeon helps Wish support and can help Dragonite get another Multi-scale activation going. Can stall pretty much every single water pokemon by either toxic or going for scald hax.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
I am thinking of replacing Fire Punch or Earthquake with Extremespeed for the priority since I do not have much to prevent something from setting up further once it gets started. Otherwise, main physical attacker.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Trait: Iron Fist
Hasty Nature
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- ThunderPunch
- Mach Punch
At this point, I figured the other 4 above needed some special attack support and went with a mixed variant. Priority move to again help with setting up problems and revenge killing since something like Tyranitar can destroy the team so far.

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
I sort of threw this on at last minute and I cannot quite decide what to replace it with. Its nice to have a stall breaker pokemon around.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Given the offensive nature of this team, a Pokémon who can set up entry hazards will really help you turn 2HKOs into OHKOs. I'd change Jirachi's move set to a support set, since its current set is more suited for Rain teams, given Thunder's Focus Blast level accuracy outside of Rain:
-Iron Head
-Body Slam/Thunder Wave
-Wish
-Protect/U-turn/Stealth Rock
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP/236 Def/20 Spe
Item: Leftovers

You absolutely need a Rapid Spinner on the team because of Tornadus' and Dragonite's Stealth Rock weaknesses. Since Jirachi will also do Wish support, Starmie should go over Vaporeon because it can spin away entry hazards while providing offensive presence at the same time:
-Hydro Pump/Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt/Psyshock
-Rapid Spin
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure

or
-Scald
-Thunderbolt/Psyshock/Ice Beam
-Rapid Spin
-Recover
Nature: Timid
EVs: 248 HP/32 Def/4 SAtk/224 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure

I'd rather have a Jolly nature on Tornadus because it needs all the speed it can get. Tornadus should also use 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe. What purpose does your current EV spread have? What does 168 Spe with 111 base Speed accomplish here?

Years
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
@Tornadus: I did not think Tornadus needed a full investment in speed. 168 Spd investment allows it to outspeed 100 base speed pokemon with neutral nature. I forgot that any pokemon running 252 Spd +Spd nature in the 88-99 base speed range would out-speed Tornadus as well. So, a jolly nature would keep it above the 100 base speed pokemon.

Espeon, latias, latios, infernape, keldeo, gengar, terrakion, infernape, landorus, and starmie would be the only OU threats that are faster than this Tornadus set. On second inspection, most of these pokemon could be severally chipped by Acrobatics or U-turn and I am not getting much extra mileage out of the bulk in Hp.

Additionally, what's best to do with that last 4 EV investment typically in a 252/252 pokemon sets? For Tornadus, you suggested the 4 in defense and I am not quite sure why. A +1 in defense would typically shave off less than a fraction of a health point which would get rounded anyway and only for physical moves. A 4 Hp Ev would allow you to shave off a health point in damage from either physical or special attacks. But, I guess that extra point is rather pointless.

@Jirachi/Starmie: I'll try the Starmie/Jirachi change and see how it works.

Its funny you mention the offence from this team. I got a good chunk of victories from this team by simply stalling with Reuniclus and Vaporeon oddly enough lol

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
@Tornadus: I did not think Tornadus needed a full investment in speed. 168 Spd investment allows it to outspeed 100 base speed pokemon with neutral nature. I forgot that any pokemon running 252 Spd +Spd nature in the 88-99 base speed range would out-speed Tornadus as well. So, a jolly nature would keep it above the 100 base speed pokemon.

Espeon, latias, latios, infernape, keldeo, gengar, terrakion, infernape, landorus, and starmie would be the only OU threats that are faster than this Tornadus set. On second inspection, most of these pokemon could be severally chipped by Acrobatics or U-turn and I am not getting much extra mileage out of the bulk in Hp.

Additionally, what's best to do with that last 4 EV investment typically in a 252/252 pokemon sets? For Tornadus, you suggested the 4 in defense and I am not quite sure why. A +1 in defense would typically shave off less than a fraction of a health point which would get rounded anyway and only for physical moves. A 4 Hp Ev would allow you to shave off a health point in damage from either physical or special attacks. But, I guess that extra point is rather pointless.

@Jirachi/Starmie: I'll try the Starmie/Jirachi change and see how it works.

Its funny you mention the offence from this team. I got a good chunk of victories from this team by simply stalling with Reuniclus and Vaporeon oddly enough lol
Adding 4 EVs in Tornadus' HP will make its HP divisible by 4, which makes Tornadus die to Stealth Rock if it switches in 4 times (assuming it was at full health at the start). Placing them into Defense not only makes Tornadus take 5 switch ins to Stealth Rock to be KOed, but it also (slightly) reduces the damage from physical priority. In short, you don't want a Stealth Rock-weak Pokémon's HP to be divisible by 4.

Back