• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Starter Pokémon

Pick a starter.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen May 30, 2013
I was positively surprised with the new starters! After seeing the 5th gen, I expected all next pokemon generation to be as bad or even worse. However, the 6th gen looks promising!

All three starters look good! Personally I prefer Fennekin, which is extremely cute (it will depend though on its evolutions as well). I also like the idea of Chespin, which is different to all grass-type starters we've seen so far. About Froakie, I don't like it at all (especially its eyes give me the creeps, Politoed is far better), but I can understand that they need diversity in the starters, in order to meet the different tastes of the audience.

aonshinzo

TheCoolestTentacool
Years
  • Seen Nov 8, 2014
It would be nice if the water starter was the fastest this time around. Hopefully it will happen cause does Froakie looks pretty fast and agile *fingers crossed*

blue

gucci
Years
I think the only way I wouldn't choose Fennekin would be if it ended up being Fire/Fighting or I was really fond of Chespins final evolution and typing combination, not really a Froakie fan. Although I'd be pretty happy if Fennekin ended up to be Fire/Psychic.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
You know that rumor of Froakie being a ninja seems to be a possible reality as it's movement in the trailer makes me think of a ninja, sure it's probably the moves it's using causing that effect but still.
I hope that all three starters are fast this time, it seems like every generation there's two slow ones and one fast one, or one slow, one decent, and one fast.

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
Because Fennec Fox are cute that's why.
Spoiler:

Its head:neck ratio still make it look like it could be decapitated with a pair of safety scissors...

You know that rumor of Froakie being a ninja seems to be a possible reality as it's movement in the trailer makes me think of a ninja, sure it's probably the moves it's using causing that effect but still.
I hope that all three starters are fast this time, it seems like every generation there's two slow ones and one fast one, or one slow, one decent, and one fast.

I think Chespin will focus on hp/defense, Fennekin on special attack/special defense, and Froakie on attack/speed. I hope they all have decent other stats though, I don't think any will be too speed deficient.

Froakie being the fastest around would be pretty nice, he does give off that vibe.
Maybe being a dark type would be fitting for a ninja?

That rumor was sadly debunked already...

EDIT: I just realized my choice order aligns evenly... Squirtle, Cyndaquil, Treecko, Piplup, Tepig, and now Chespin... Two of each type... All in Water-Fire-Grass order...

Last edited:
Years
I've been so absent from this lately lol.

In my opinion, as far as the starters' stats should look like, I think Chespin will probably be the slowest of the bunch (due to that shelled part on its head) and would focus on defensive stats and physical Attack, Fennekin sorta screams a Special Attacker while I think Froakie will have mixed offenses and be the fastest of the trio.

I'm also hoping that they have decent stats all around so I don't find any particularly disappointing.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Froakie being the fastest around would be pretty nice, he does give off that vibe.
Maybe being a dark type would be fitting for a ninja?

If anything I'd see a ninja being a Fighting type. And it sort of seems to mesh with Froakie pretty well. Having another Water/Fighting type other than Poliwrath would be pretty awesome too. Especially if Froakie is more of a high attack/speed glass cannon sort of thing whereas Poliwrath is much more of a bulky attacker.

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2013
My starter evolutions concept art

Here is some concept art I drew up. I'm no pro artist but I did my best
9lewlh.jpg

The idea here is

Well...

Grass > Water > Fire > Grass, you know that three way thing with the starters right?

Well now we would have

Croaked (Water/Ghost)

He would be absolutely SCREWED vs. Chespike (Grass/Dark)

Chespike would be absolutely screwed vs. Fennekick (Fire/Fighting)

& Finally to complete the circle, Fennekick is indeed screwed if put againt Croaked (Again, Water/Ghost)

So the theme here is to give all the starters a second type, yet for them to all have that same idea going on where no matter which one you pick each is strong against 1, weak to the other. Except now more than ever!

If anyone is a better artist than me and wants to, feel free to take these ideas & concepts and then make an enhanced/tweaked version of the same things. I'd actually like to see someone who draws better than I do make them look really great

What do you guys think?

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
8Ndsw17.png

& Finally to complete the circle, Fennekick is indeed screwed if put againt Croaked (Again, Water/Ghost)

Y U do dis?

If Fennekin turns into a Fire/Fighting yet again, people will literally pull a gun on GameFreak employees at this point...

Years
Since at least one starter get's only one type even when it evolves I am not so sure all of the evolutions will have dual types like you drawn. I only liked your Chespike. Looks like a real Boss. And just like Lyca said we should pray for a fire type starter not to become a Fighting type again when it evolves

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Since at least one starter get's only one type even when it evolves I am not so sure all of the evolutions will have dual types like you drawn

Why can't they all have a dual type?
Look at Gen4: Fire/Fighting, Water/Steel and Grass/Ground
Of course this only happened once before, but it is possible

Guy

just a guy
Years
You just had to think Fennekin was going to evolve into a Fire/Fighting didn't you?

Going ahead and merging this with the Starter Pokémon thread, but if you want to share your art work then make sure and check out the Art Gallery forum.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I really don't see Fennekin becoming a Fire/Fighting type. They could easily make it bipedal through evolutions, but I personally don't see it happening. I feel like a Fighting type on all fours is almost weird. Plus from all the attacks they were demonstrating with it it definitely looks like Fennekin is going to be part Psychic.

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
Since at least one starter get's only one type even when it evolves I am not so sure all of the evolutions will have dual types like you drawn. I only liked your Chespike. Looks like a real Boss. And just like Lyca said we should pray for a fire type starter not to become a Fighting type again when it evolves

There's no confirmed mono-type starter final evo... Where'd you get that from...?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I really don't see Fennekin becoming a Fire/Fighting type. They could easily make it bipedal through evolutions, but I personally don't see it happening. I feel like a Fighting type on all fours is almost weird. Plus from all the attacks they were demonstrating with it it definitely looks like Fennekin is going to be part Psychic.

No one saw Tepig evolving into Fire/Fighting. When Emboar was shown majority of fans were 100% sure it was Fire/dark.

I do not mind another Fire/Fighting. Its a great type combo.

Ghost, Psychic, and Dragon are the only three types I can't see being as starters. Don't see them making one starter immune to another either so no fighting and ghost appearing and no psychic and dark appearing. Weakness and resistance on the other hand I can see. 1starter becoming neutral to the other two I can see as well. But making one starter immune to another doesn't fit with the general veiw of starter sets.

Also we still don't know what the attack was. It could have been Snarl that Fennekin used or some sound attack, or a ghost attack. I mean everyone thought Froakie's attack was a fighting attack, but its most likely Quick Attack since we found out Froakie learns Quick Attack which ruins the support for the innitial sub type speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back