• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: In which we welcome back Shining Raichu from his extended vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

droomph

weeb
Years
I definitely don't speak Japanese, haha. I half-remember random phrases from watching a lot of anime when I was younger and now I use it randomly to pretend I'm cool. 8)

SUCH AS MY NEW RANK TEXT THINGY

Anyone who actually knows Japanese tell me if it's right? XD;

It's right, but to make it more "personal" (like Staff Administrator rather than Staff Administration) you should add a "官" to the end of it.

droomph

weeb
Years
I was able to read "スタッフの" as "Staff's", but I have know Kanji knowledge haha.

I should totally put my usertitle into Japanese. It'd be far shorter, plus the artist of the character is Japanese. Totally tie it all off lol.

Although... Google Translate kinda sucks in regards to accurate translations. Dx
yer welcome

I don't know, but the best I can come up with is "経行するよ。"

droomph

weeb
Years
@Touj: I found a site once, where you'd type in a phrase, then it'd push it through Google Translate in many languages, then spit you back an English result and show you how mangled it is. I can't remember the name of it though.
this?

@Droomph: After playing around and everything, I think I got it lol. It's probably really bad though haha. 話の話、徒歩の徒歩。
yeah but it's an idiom so I wouldn't say that it's accurate lol.

I took six years of German but now I've forgotten about it :(
ach du. jedes mal. kannst du nicht lernen?

droomph

weeb
Years
Original text:

"I just wanna tell you how I'm feeling
Gotta make you understand"

...35 translations later, Bing gives us:

"If you need to know"
I've ran into that so many times when translating from French. We had an assignment to translate song lyrics. There were so many sayings that I couldn't just get. "Grasse matinée" literally translates as "Fat morning" but it actually means "sleep in".
But mornings are fat. I told them to go on a diet :( they never listen.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Ich habe kleine Hunde.

And I just wanted to quote a funny ass song to see if anyone can recognize it.

Time to Guess! said:
And it's cool if you let one go
Nobody's gonna know, who'd hear it?
Give a little "poot poot", it's OK! [Fart Sound]
Oops my CD just skipped
And everyone just heard you let one rip

droomph

weeb
Years
I just went and put that on Facebook. That's just great lmao.

But yeah. It's crazy that languages can't seem to wrap their words around some sayings in other languages. It's what makes translation difficult. Word order too. For example, "I shower" translates as "Je me douche." which means "I (myself) shower." or "I shower myself.". It's reflexive, in that you have to say "myself" so that you can say that you're doing something specific to yourself. However, it's not advisable to say "Je me mange.", which would translate to "I (myself) eat.", or "I eat myself.". Not too healthy of an option.
Wellllll "I shower myself" -> I do the action to myself, and yes, you do shower yourself. However "I eat myself" -> I do the action to myself, and yes, you do eat yourself.

Why they go that deep into the philosophy I don't know. However, it's better than Chinese where all parts of speech are nouns, basically.

also I want to mention that I'm so bored sometimes I just invent my own languages because vogt as lankéigtelagt ar.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
This translator is fun to mess with.
http://ackuna.com/badtranslator

"This is an example translation"
27 translations later:
"Shows you how to use, for example, specify"

Edit:
Haha. I was trying to think of something to translate and remembered Joey.

It went from
"I like shorts, they're comfy and easy to wear."
to
"For the filling Jesus said, but easy to use."

I have no idea how that happened.

Last edited:

droomph

weeb
Years
Yeah. At that point, they just omit the reflexive word "me" and say "Je mange", or "I eat". Technically, it makes more sense.
Well what I meant was that the thing receiving the action is the person doing the action in "I shower", but the thing receiving the action in "I eat ---" is another thing.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
If you replace the word shower with bathe in English, it makes more sense. In English, you bathe yourself, which is like the French "je me douche".

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Hai guise i speek frinch t0o.

It's awesome to translate some phrases through Google translator, sometimes it messes up things and you get hilarious translations.

Honest

Hi!
Years
It's not funny when you depend on Google Translate to pass Spanish class. :I

Speaking of which, I meant to write "I was embarrassed" for a Spanish paper one once and wrote "Soy embarassado".

That translates to "I'm pregnant." :c

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Dipu, that's hilarious.
Did you catch it before turning in the paper? If not, I'd love to see your teacher's reaction. X)

Honest

Hi!
Years
Nope, I didn't. I was to busy typing it up two periods before it was due, so I didn't check over what I had written.

My teacher was so mean about it. :I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back