• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Questions Thread! [OLD]

Years
This is a (potentially technical) question about the TCG online, hopefully that's okay to ask here.

I bought the Plasma Blast Solar Strike deck a while ago, and while it works fine in player vs player, not all the cards seem to be available in the Trainer Challenge (specifically, Blastoise, one Volcarona, and Pokemon Catcher seem to be missing. Others might be missing as well, it's just that those are pretty important cards in the strategy of the deck, so those are the ones I notice). I know that with the basic red/blue/green decks that are provided for the trainer challenge, you have to "unlock" the cards by winning matches before you can use the deck in it's entirety. But I thought you didn't have to do that with purchased decks? Either way, those cards are not unlocking. Is this purposeful to make things more challenging, or is it a bug that I should be reporting? Or am I just totally missing something?

Still haven't had a chance to look into this. Sorry. :'(

Do cards from different series (i.e. base, Rocket, gym hero's, neo, neo revelations, etc) feel physically different?

I feel like the earlier cards felt a bit thicker compared to later editions. maybe its just me

It may be a slightly different card stock since everything made after 2002 was made by The Pokemon Company International and not Wizards of the Coast, but I'm fairly certain the basic pieces are practically the exact same.

does anyone know if the mega charizard be released in the trading card game?

does anyone know if the mega charizard will be released as a card in the tcg?

It's probable that their will be one, we just don't know when.

Years
is spiky shield chesnaught holding a rock guard a great tank? i want to make a deck out of it and i want to know if it is strong enough to take on pokemon EX

Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2015
Mega Charizard is in the set following the base set. Or so it appears. Both X and Y.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Wild_Blaze_(TCG)

As for being able to take on a deck with a mega in it. It all depends on how the metagame unfolds. Its impossible to tell atm since the base set is so weird. But Chestnaught holding a rock guard doesnt make it a good tank. Rock Guard is easily tool scrappered off. Considering that it takes 4 energy to do 90 damage and heal only 20. i have to say Chestnaught is not going to be a good pokemon.

I want to say the best deck to take on a mega deck would probably be keldeo blastoise. Black Kyurem Ex with a muscle band can hit for 220 damage. Other than that the best bet is to just use their weakness and go offensive.

Years
Mega Charizard is in the set following the base set. Or so it appears. Both X and Y.

As for being able to take on a deck with a mega in it. It all depends on how the metagame unfolds. Its impossible to tell atm since the base set is so weird. But Chestnaught holding a rock guard doesnt make it a good tank. Rock Guard is easily tool scrappered off. Considering that it takes 4 energy to do 90 damage and heal only 20. i have to say Chestnaught is not going to be a good pokemon.

I want to say the best deck to take on a mega deck would probably be keldeo blastoise. Black Kyurem Ex with a muscle band can hit for 220 damage. Other than that the best bet is to just use their weakness and go offensive.

Don't mind me. Just reposting your link since the forum's auto-parser for links does weird things with URLS that have the end parenthesis in them:

Which given that set was only recently announced means we won't see a Mega Charizard of either kind in English until May at the earliest.

Years
i will have blastoise with deluge in my chestnaught deck to help chestnaught and i will have rough skin druddigons along with it. i will also put potion, super potions, and rocky helmets. bouffalant with bouffer will help with the EX pokemon. sooo how is my dream deck?

Years
i will have blastoise with deluge in my chestnaught deck to help chestnaught and i will have rough skin druddigons along with it. i will also put potion, super potions, and rocky helmets. bouffalant with bouffer will help with the EX pokemon. sooo how is my dream deck?

In my opinion, you're making it too dependent on Stage 2 Pokemon. You open yourself up to getting wrecked by much quicker moving EXs, and especially Blastoise/Keldeo decks.

Anyway, if you want further help with this deck, create a thread for this deck idea of yours here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115

The Quick Questions thread is more for simple questions, while Deck Reviewing is for help with deck ideas, strategies, and lists.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Sep 29, 2016
were japanese base set cards ever printed as first edition? If so, how can I tell.

I haven't really seen anything definitive online, leading me to believe they were not printed.

AZ Jr

There is a fine line between fishing and just stan
Years
  • Age 23
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 9, 2014
Hi, I'm new to the card game. Firstly, how does rainbow energy work? Does it work like a normal energy, but can be used as any type of energy? Secondly, is it in the new X and Y cards?

Years
Hi, I'm new to the card game. Firstly, how does rainbow energy work? Does it work like a normal energy, but can be used as any type of energy? Secondly, is it in the new X and Y cards?

displayimage.php

It does exactly what it says on the tin. It does not count as Basic Energy because it states "Special Energy" right on the card. It can act as "Energy" but not as "Basic Energy". It counts as every type for the purposes of Abilities and card effects that reference an energy type rather than a card type. Its status as a special energy means that you can only have up to 4 in your deck.

The picture should clear up whether it's in the XY set or not (hint: that's the copy from XY).

Did this help clarify things?

Years
ok so articuno has resistance to fighting type and weakness to steel types. my lucario is a fighting type that has the ability to turn into a steel type if any steel energies are attaached to it. if i attach a steel energy and attack articuno with a 60 damage move...will it resist or double attack? or both? please tell me what happens because i am confused.

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2017
does anyone know where either on here or on somewhere else i can get some TCG codes for playing online? i need more cards and my parents wont let me go buy any :/

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
does anyone know where either on here or on somewhere else i can get some TCG codes for playing online? i need more cards and my parents wont let me go buy any :/
Unfortunately they're not easy to come by. You can try digging around Youtube for box openings. A lot of people on there usually give out their codes, but it's something you gotta be quick in order to grab. Otherwise I think you can buy them from some people on ebay and Troll And Toad, though I couldn't speak for the reliability since they could just as easily have redeemed the code already.

Years
ok so articuno has resistance to fighting type and weakness to steel types. my lucario is a fighting type that has the ability to turn into a steel type if any steel energies are attaached to it. if i attach a steel energy and attack articuno with a 60 damage move...will it resist or double attack? or both? please tell me what happens because i am confused.

This took some digging for rulings when dual types were more common, you first calculate the Weakness damage, and then you subtract the Resistance damage from the damage done by weakness. So basically it's 60x2, which gives us 120, then 120-Articuno's Resistance, whatever that may be.

In short, both apply, but the weakness applies first for the sake of calculating. From the standpoint of checking for KOs, you check for KOs after all the damage is calculated, so, even if it's taken enough damage to be knocked out from the Weakness damage before you apply the Resistance, it's not knocked out until you confirm whether it's still going to be knocked out after applying Resistance.

You can also ask here, though I don't know the success any have had in actually getting any codes here.

Years
[IMAGE]http://www.serebii.net/card/plasmastorm/132.jpg[IMAGE] [IMAGE]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PonH8pNkmr4/UbHAxfeqf1I/AAAAAAAAE4I/riAUx_2BLm0/s1600/78-lucario.jpg[IMAGE]

I was talking about these two. so if the opponent took more than 2 prize cards and lucario has a steel energy attached. its possible to knock out articuno right?

60+30+30=120(damage after factoring in 2 prizes taken). 120x2=240 (damage after accounting for weakness). 240-20=220 (damage after applying weakness and resistance). 220>170.

Assuming no other modifiers are applied, knockout achieved. Make sense?

Though this is assuming I've done the calculations in the right order. Basing this off a ruling from when there were a few dual types in the TCG.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 19, 2014
Price Range: Im looking to spend $300-500 USD

Im thinking of buying Either:
-1st Edition Base Set sealed booster pack
-U.S. sealed box of either 1st edition Jungle or 1st edition Fossil
-1st edition base set sealed box of another language
-U.S. sealed box base set (non 1st edition)

I am wondering what everyone's opinions are on what would would hold its value the longest? I have a bunch of money saved on credit card rewards that I can use to buy one the options listed above. So I will be using them as collectibles to potentially sell later in the future. Thanks in advance

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 19, 2014
Thanks for the reply! Oh I guess the last one I forgot would be 1st edition Neo-Genesis sealed box as well

Back