• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: In which we welcome back Shining Raichu from his extended vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
I loved homework lol but I'm crazy. I also took homework and projects "to the next level" with over-creativity, vids, etc. I spent 50$ at Dollarama on a scrapbook project that took me 12h to complete at home.

I also don't find it useless whatsoever. My grades were far superior to people who did not do their homework - not from not submitting, but doing poorly on tests and other assignments as a result - and I have homework to thank. I'm supposedly good at math, but need to ask a lot of questions; had I not done so in Chemistry, especially after not touching the subject in three or four years and jumping right back into 11U, I wouldn't have come out with 94% or gotten perfect on a purely math-based test involving densities of gases, etc.

So homework, though it sucks, really helps with knowing what questions to ask and spotting where you're having trouble. That's what it really is for, though; not 'cause the teachers are sadistic.

Attendance, unfortunately, is also a big thing. I noticed a huge difference in grades and understanding when I stopped skipping.

Here's one project that I'm particularly proud of. It compares the French Revolution to the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time's plot. Mega timeline!

Spoiler:

/drool

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Yusshin, I think there's a dead dog on your bed there.

No homework. {:
My one teacher used to, but I guess he gave up because I was the only one who actually did the homework. He didn't have the best memory, though, and actually asked me to remind him if we had homework, at one point. Probably because everyone else in the class would have told him that we don't, just because they didn't do it.

Excuse my inactivity lately. I was just about a zombie yesterday and was sure that I was getting sick again. I'm fine now, though.

Years
Homework makes practice makes perfect. If you're doing practice outside of your teacher's lecture time, that's homework enough to me. My Grade 12 Advance Functions & Calculus teacher lectured for 20 minutes, and gave us half an hour of free time. For most of use this meant no math homework needed to be done at home, and if we're comfortable with the subject already, we could fool around quietly so as to not disrupt the people actually working.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
The homework really wasn't ever work, because we were allowed to just use the internet. I did occasionally study just because I had no idea what I was doing in one specific class.
But that class was always pretty chaotic, so it wasn't easy to concentrate. On the upside, that meant we would spend half of the class joking around, teasing each other, etc.

droomph

weeb
Years
But the whole point of the article was to prove that homework is essentially useless, no matter how you choose to push through it. Naturally, this differs per school and per student, but there was a study in this article that showed that the grades between people who did do homework for a certain assignment only did marginally better than those who didn't do the homework. I've been trying to find this godly article for about 20 minutes, but I read it over a month ago and I can't for the life of me remember where it is :/
Welllll naturally if you're just assigning required homework just for the hell of it, you're gonna run into problems, such as it's pointless. But if you do a college-style homework plan, where you don't even have to complete any of it, it's very helpful for the kids who are struggling but don't know.

The homework really wasn't ever work, because we were allowed to just use the internet. I did occasionally study just because I had no idea what I was doing in one specific class.
But that class was always pretty chaotic, so it wasn't easy to concentrate. On the upside, that meant we would spend half of the class joking around, teasing each other, etc.

what was the class name? Just curious.

Last edited:

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Sorry, not sure exactly what you're asking. :?

It wasn't even in a school, though. Which is why the teacher is a 70-year-old retired mechanic haha. The class itself was not at all what I had expected, but I did learn some useless stuff from it.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I was in two classes taught by the same guy. One of which was a history class. It was very chaotic at first, but since has toned down a lot, because most of the more rowdy students left. The rowdy students were also the ones who hated me, so now I don't have to deal with their loud remarks. [;

Hmm.
I found a white spider crawling up the wall and have no clue what it was. Someone else freaked out and killed it. I didn't bother even trying to make them wait so I could take a picture of the spider, considering how much they panicked. I:

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Homework makes practice makes perfect. If you're doing practice outside of your teacher's lecture time, that's homework enough to me. My Grade 12 Advance Functions & Calculus teacher lectured for 20 minutes, and gave us half an hour of free time. For most of use this meant no math homework needed to be done at home, and if we're comfortable with the subject already, we could fool around quietly so as to not disrupt the people actually working.

Sounds like a good strategy, in my opinion. That way there is also time with one on one discussion with the teacher if you need help with something, or just need a recap and etc. Though IMO, if I were a teacher, I'd do 20 minutes of lecture, 10 minutes of class problem solving together with the teacher as a demonstration, and 20 minutes free time.. but hey it all depends on the circumstances and all that.

Hopework was very important for me in Uni (did art-based classes mostly).. so the more practice the better.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Here's one project that I'm particularly proud of. It compares the French Revolution to the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time's plot. Mega timeline!

Spoiler:

/drool

What grade did you score from that project? My guess is that it's not an A, because teachers may not appreciate students comparing real-life history to video games.

Honest

Hi!
Years
^Not true, not all the time anyway. I remember a teacher who would quote Call of Duty all the time for history. It was pretty amusing, honestly.

Years
I'm a procrastinator so I leave my homework until the day before it's due. Sadly I can't do that this semester though, since I doubt I'll be able to finish a 10-12 page essay in a day regardless of how fast a writer I am. :[

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Hopework? Freudian slip there Kura? :P

Naahh and damn I didn't even notice that typo.. haha, but I had a TOOON of homework in Uni @_@ It is why I pretty much took a big break from PC (my activity plummetted so hardcore) because the assignments were just so intense.. but glad school is all over now :333

I used to set my own deadlines like a week before the actual deadline.. and I would procrastinate till my own deadline but do it and end up feeling glad I had like a week or a few days to edit it :33

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I was able to finish a 10-12 page essay before its due date, because I had all the resources I need to make a lengthy essay. I would've finished it in a day, but I constantly goof off and had trouble thinking of typing proper sentences.

Honest

Hi!
Years
Oh god, this whole week, I thought I had a 10 page paper due, and I started two days before the due date. Thank god my teacher extended it, cause I would have DIED otherwise.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
What grade did you score from that project? My guess is that it's not an A, because teachers may not appreciate students comparing real-life history to video games.

97% or 98%. The guy knew about Zelda enough to get the references lol

Came out with the highest grade in the course - 93% - which earned me a 250$ scholarship. I got 97.5% on the final exam.

Hardest course of the year, though. There was an essay a week + a project a week + one group assignment per week + in-class debates (a week to prepare) with costumes, accents, etc. + other miscellaneous assignments.

He pretty much told me, "Wtf? I'd have killed to get over 90% in History when I was at school" lol I was just pickled 'cause it's my lowest 12U grade. Had it been 95% like the rest, my average could've been closer to 96% instead of 95.2%. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back