• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: The Follow Me Script

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 29
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
Oh. I posted before viewing the video, this is getting really awesome! Are you going to release the data for this when it has been perfected? and if so how, like a patch or something?

p.s Is that a Genesect cry at about 30 second 0.o?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
This looks amazing, love how you made her walk all the time.

Did you use ASM for this then? x

Yeah, this uses ASM to write directly to the pre-OAM storage area, forcing the sprite to walk onto the tile which the player has just left.

Oh. I posted before viewing the video, this is getting really awesome! Are you going to release the data for this when it has been perfected? and if so how, like a patch or something?

p.s Is that a Genesect cry at about 30 second 0.o?

Yes, that is indeed a Genesect cry at 30 seconds.

Very awesome. Just wanted to say great work.
It would be a great present if the code was ever released to the public.

Awesome, plain awesomeness... =)
Just like the posters above I'd really love to see this feature in a patch so we could use it in our hacks :D

I'll release the code if and when I deem it to be ready for use.
That video shows the working aspects of the routines, but there are still plenty of things which won't work yet as well. Warping is a HUGE problem related to this.

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 29
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
One thing to consider is that once you've done this first step. Possibly some advanced code to imitate HG/SS If you can do it for two pokemon you can do it for 100 its just the space required. I assume that the 'follower' is determined by an offset? So you could be like "if charmander is 1st in party use this offset, if bulbasaur etc."

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
One thing to consider is that once you've done this first step. Possibly some advanced code to imitate HG/SS If you can do it for two pokemon you can do it for 100 its just the space required. I assume that the 'follower' is determined by an offset? So you could be like "if charmander is 1st in party use this offset, if bulbasaur etc."

Actually, if you wanted to imitate HGSS, you would just make the following sprite dynamic based on what Pokemon is top of your party.

KingCyndaquil

Pokemon Master
Years
this may sound dumb, but i know there is a way to write an asm code to change a sprites clothing to the same clothing that the NPC is wearing.

Example:

cant you re-modify that code to make the ow follow the player? it sounds farfetched (no pun intended) but its worth a shot... so what do you guys think?

Quickster

Dream or Drop?
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2016
this may sound dumb, but i know there is a way to write an asm code to change a sprites clothing to the same clothing that the NPC is wearing.

Example:

cant you re-modify that code to make the ow follow the player? it sounds farfetched (no pun intended) but its worth a shot... so what do you guys think?

Now Im no ASM expert so anyone can correct me if Im wrong, but that is a totally different concept. All its doing is switching what the OW looks like that the player controls. In theory, you could modify any code to make an OW follow the player, but Jambo looks pretty far along, and you can see he has made enough progress to be followed, so why make a new code?

KingCyndaquil

Pokemon Master
Years
Now Im no ASM expert so anyone can correct me if Im wrong, but that is a totally different concept. All its doing is switching what the OW looks like that the player controls. In theory, you could modify any code to make an OW follow the player, but Jambo looks pretty far along, and you can see he has made enough progress to be followed, so why make a new code?
jambo said himself (i asked him on msn) that he still has a good amount of work to do before he finishes it, and its not exactly a new code, a modified one, ehhh but i guess your right about it not making sense i was just trying to help lol, i dont much about asm myself.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
This may sound like an often repeated intro that many people say when starting off their ideas, but what will the following overworld do when you in the middle of a script. For instance, if I make a script that makes the player step forward one tile, will I also have to add in another applymovement for the following overworld so they are still in sync, or will it do that automatically?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
This may sound like an often repeated intro that many people say when starting off their ideas, but what will the following overworld do when you in the middle of a script. For instance, if I make a script that makes the player step forward one tile, will I also have to add in another applymovement for the following overworld so they are still in sync, or will it do that automatically?

With my system, it SHOULD move, as normal, since it's based on the pixel movement of the player's sprite, rather than button presses.
Don't quote me on that though, as I haven't tested it.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Can you interact with the NPC in your method Jambo? :\ With the way you've done it, it seems like you'll need to add another routine somewhere to make it seem as though interaction works.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Can you interact with the NPC in your method Jambo? :\ With the way you've done it, it seems like you'll need to add another routine somewhere to make it seem as though interaction works.

Yeah, it's possible to interact with NPC's in my version. I tried to show that in my videos, IIRC.

I showed in the first 2 certainly, that normal NPC interaction worked, and so did tile scripts.

EDIT: Wait, I see now that you meant the following NPC. Yes, I can interact with it.

KingCyndaquil

Pokemon Master
Years
Yeah, it's possible to interact with NPC's in my version. I tried to show that in my videos, IIRC.

I showed in the first 2 certainly, that normal NPC interaction worked, and so did tile scripts.

EDIT: Wait, I see now that you meant the following NPC. Yes, I can interact with it.
did you test for fadescreen and healingspot? it seems that my be difficult to accomplish

Years

Example:

That's not how you spell shop? :S

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
I tested many things related to mine.

Saving, quitting and restarting: Check
Map to map connections: Check
Walking: Check
Running: Check
Ledges: Check
Tile Scripts: Check
Trainer and Wild battles: Check
Warping: Not working
Biking: Not working
Surfing: Not working
Flying (Kind of warping here...): Not working
Scripts moving the player: No idea XD

I have ideas for biking and surfing, but haven't really got any idea whatsoever how I can accomplish the warping. Obviously, the sprite should appear from the tile which you were warped to after you move from it, but until I find the routine which creates the player sprite in the RAM and OAM, I can't look any further into this. As far as I know, the entire map is reloaded on warping, even if you warp to the same map that you were already on. So that could be a small blessing.

Last edited:

Roboto-kun

is an Ace Trainer.
Years
  • Seen Nov 30, 2012
Are you ever going to release the codes? I mean, it's ok if you don't but, I'm just wondering.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Are you ever going to release the codes? I mean, it's ok if you don't but, I'm just wondering.

I'll release the code if and when I deem it to be ready for use.
That video shows the working aspects of the routines, but there are still plenty of things which won't work yet as well. Warping is a HUGE problem related to this.

I think that's an adequate answer! Lol.

KNC

Sir Demoknight
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2015
Wondering how far you got with this script so far? I'm considering doing a hack but I'd need to get a specific pokemon to follow me for story purposes.

I'd also have an idea on how to possibly deal with the warp problem, I wouldn't know wether it could possibly work though, since you haven't published anything that explains how it works, or what part of warping is such an big problem.

But given you have an routine that draws sprites upon walking and letting them follow you, wouldn't it be possible to include a flag on wether there is currently a pokemon following you, and when it is, to simply always create the sprite when you move? That way the sprite wouldn't appear the moment you entered the house but rather the moment you take your first step inside. Like when your follower still stands outside, because you block the way, and waits for you to move a step.

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
But given you have an routine that draws sprites upon walking and letting them follow you, wouldn't it be possible to include a flag on wether there is currently a pokemon following you, and when it is, to simply always create the sprite when you move? That way the sprite wouldn't appear the moment you entered the house but rather the moment you take your first step inside. Like when your follower still stands outside, because you block the way, and waits for you to move a step.
THAT... sounds like it could work. But what about map connections?

Back