• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Customization Of Your Character In Future Pokemon Games?

Would you like to see this option in future Pokemon Games?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DemonBlood93

Ace Trainer
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 4, 2011
Well I must say first I love Pokemon especialy the games but they are missing somthing that nearly all RPG's have, the option to create you player from scratch, instead everyone who ends up buying and playing a Pokemon game plays as the same person just with a different name. In all my other RPG's Like Dragon Age & Mass Effect I like to make my player look like me, it gives me a sense that, that player is me in the virtual world a virtual "me" if you will, I think it makes the game more fun knowing that that player is what you would be like if you were born into that world :D But as I said I do get a bit tired of turning on my Pokemon game and playing as a player that GameFreak designed and not me, most of the players they design look nothing like me the closest they got to resembleing me was Red in Pokemon FireRed & LeafGreen that's why I love those games so much :D So what do you guys and girls think would you like the option to create your own character at the start of "YOUR" adventure? Would you like GameFreak to put this option in? And do you think we can expect to see this option any time soon? Reply to this thread and give me your thoughts and opinions.

P.S. This would also give us a new shop in the Towns & Citys: a PokeClothes shop (yeah the name needs work).

*Edit: Just added a poll to this post so I can get more of an idea about how many people would like this option, and how many people wouldn't. Thank you all for your comments so far all your opinions are respected and apreciaited.*

Last edited:

Haberdasher

suffers from nostalgia
Years
I think it'd be nice to have, but not a priority by any means. It'd probably take more work than it's worth, so I doubt it's coming soon. Maybe- MAYBE- we'll soon get a choice between default trainers of a certain gender (e.g. pick Female Design A, B, or C for your character), but even that's a bit of a stretch.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
I would actually enjoy the chance to modify your own character, however, only at the start of the game, after that, modifying is not aloud, or at least until some part in the game (5th Gym+ perhaps?)

But I think that they shouldn't put shops in. They can use that space for more valuable things.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
Yeah, this'd be nice to have. I'd like to be able to dress up my character - I mean, we can already do it to our Pokemon in those bloody Musicals, so why not player characters?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Trainer customization is one thing I've always wanted for a long time. Too bad it never happened in Gen V, though I would like it in Gen VI.

@lpha

Solid Snivy <3
Years
I'd like that too,but still,we would have to wait longer.It takes a long time to make every single OW sprite of a customized trainer,And as an added time bonus,Maybe they would've given us 500 customization choices,which makes my total estimated time of:
2011-2017.

~@lpha

Rionix

My girlfriend is a crazy fox
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 24, 2011
Its nice and cool to have that feature in future pokemon games but its not that really necessary. If its going to sacrifice some features pokemon already has to offer then no thanks. :)

but yeah, its really a nice and cool feature. And to add it up, what you made is what others will see in wifi :)

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
It's not an incredibly hard thing to do. I imagine once Game Freak makes the switch to 3D polygonal graphics in-game it'd be much easier to render numerous clothing/hair/etc styles and apply them to a character model instead of drawing numerous sprite pieces, or even just allowing selection between multiple character models.

If Genius Sonority can do it in PBR there's no excuse for Game Freak not to do the same.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I'd love having this option in the games, I think it would be awesome. They should have done it already D:

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
Years
Won't happen on the hand held games ever. Best chance is it happening on a COl/XD type of game in the future.

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
Years
^How can you know it won't happen? You're probably not a Game Freak developper.

I would love it. I always spend a lot of time customizing my characters in other games and find it super fun. I would also enjoy those PokeShops a lot. I'd change my clothes depending on the weather and the game location :P. Obviously, I'd mostly wear a Team Rocket uniform.

cockatoo777

Pokemon Music Lover
Years
Why not just limit the character customisation to wifi activities only? That way the devs do not need to do so much programming...

DemonBlood93

Ace Trainer
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 4, 2011
^How can you know it won't happen? You're probably not a Game Freak developper.

I would love it. I always spend a lot of time customizing my characters in other games and find it super fun. I would also enjoy those PokeShops a lot. I'd change my clothes depending on the weather and the game location :P. Obviously, I'd mostly wear a Team Rocket uniform.

Yes I completely agree, if you took customization out of RPG's they wouldn't be the same, so why deos Pokemon not have this option, and for all you who say this can't be done why does Dragon Quest 9 Sentinels Of The Stary Skys have a cuztimization option, that's a handheld DS game and from what I understand it's a much bigger DS game, it has over 500 different options for customization too. Plus with the much more powerfull 3DS out now GameFreak has no excuse for not having this option in the next Pokemon Title.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Won't happen on the hand held games ever. Best chance is it happening on a COl/XD type of game in the future.

Reasoning?

I wouldn't mind something like this, though I'd probably stick with something generic. I'm not a person who would care too much about how my in-game avatar looks but I don't see any downsides to including something like this, I guess.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
Years
Giving character customization would ruin the idea of the Characters in Pokemon's main games. If they ever do it, it will only be for online stuff. They will never do it for the main game. They would've already done it by now if they wanted to.

DemonBlood93

Ace Trainer
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 4, 2011
It could be called PokeStyle....

Why diddn't I think of that lol, great name :D

Trainer customization is one thing I've always wanted for a long time. Too bad it never happened in Gen V, though I would like it in Gen VI.

If they happen I would like the option in the R/S/E Remakes, mainly because I wasn't a big fan of Brendan (The main Male character).

Last edited:

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
The only reason we haven't seen it in the handheld games so far is because of the extra space all the unused sprite pieces would take up once you've created your character. XD

With the rise of the 3DS though, the next generation of Pokemon games can and likely will utilize one polygonal model for each character/NPC where older games had two sets of sprites (one overworld and one battle screen). You'd save space and make it easier to render everything, including a custom player model. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back