• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Essentially, yes. That's why you don't see me post around GPGD a lot now, because my internet is slow, and it'll take me like...7 minutes before I can even delete it. Locking threads is just awful. :( Gotta wait on my post to go through...gotta wait on the lock to go through, then delete the double post, then the "reason for deletion" thing has to load and fffffffff. Hate it.

Edit: Whoa it didn't do it for once!

Could you suggest the higher staff to move you into a new group with the same settings as the mod group, just without the ability to post more than once within 60 seconds? Because if it takes so long just before the next page loads then it shouldn't be much of a difference.

Last edited:

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
this place really need more love from me, doesn't it. <3

I'm actually thinking of my own challenge, which I want to do on my own. A subway challenge in Black and White. Pretty much I'd have people choose a team for me, which I will then obtain and EV train and stuff, and see how far I can go with that team. I would have no restrictions on what I can and can't train, except mostly from Unova and stuff, and people would choose what thing I'd have to go through as well. :)

Either that, or try and play through a game before I finish off a subway sandwich. Either one works for me. :D

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
Years
this place really need more love from me, doesn't it. <3

I'm actually thinking of my own challenge, which I want to do on my own. A subway challenge in Black and White. Pretty much I'd have people choose a team for me, which I will then obtain and EV train and stuff, and see how far I can go with that team. I would have no restrictions on what I can and can't train, except mostly from Unova and stuff, and people would choose what thing I'd have to go through as well. :)

Either that, or try and play through a game before I finish off a subway sandwich. Either one works for me. :D

Both at the same time? :D
Just remembered spring break is this month. Oh dear challenges, I will get back to you soon~

Maelstromk

The Dead Philospher
Years
a friend and I were recently discussing what would be a good way to replay through Blue, and my friend suggjested, "Why not try to make a runthrough, where thorough whatever means nessiary, try to have you Pokedex the least filled as possible." and I replied "even the seen rate" and he went, "Yeah, it wouldn't be much of challenge if it was just capture rate, you'd just be soloing with your starter"
/story

So I was wondering if that would be a good idea for a challenge the "Anti-Pokedex" Challenge or something simular

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
a friend and I were recently discussing what would be a good way to replay through Blue, and my friend suggjested, "Why not try to make a runthrough, where thorough whatever means nessiary, try to have you Pokedex the least filled as possible." and I replied "even the seen rate" and he went, "Yeah, it wouldn't be much of challenge if it was just capture rate, you'd just be soloing with your starter"
/story

So I was wondering if that would be a good idea for a challenge the "Anti-Pokedex" Challenge or something simular

You could perhaps make it so that if you have seen a certain amount of Pokemon you fail. That would make it hard.

Maelstromk

The Dead Philospher
Years
Well I was thinking on a board like this, it could become a challenge with like Lowest Score Possible thing, Cause you'd have to discourage as many encounters as possible, and STILL beat the game (I guess I forgot to mention that in the first post)

Years
I guess I've always been into challenges because in the community I use to come from we created a Pokemon tourney that almost played like like a tabletop rpg, and it was after I read the Hunger Games which I was completely obsessed with.

In a nutshell 2 tributes were picked, they'd battle each other with teams based on themes (kinda like the challenges here) and if you win, you get points, if you lose you lose points. The names of players are in order of how many points you get, also the winner is allowed to give more points to their allies and take away from an enemy. Every round I roll dice, and if it rolls on a 3 the person with the lowest score is kicked out of the tournament. There were other things like an item shop and the dice also rolled out cool events. It pretty much turned into an rpg by the end of it

I was thinking of something cool like this for an actual game challenge, but everything I come up with is too complex that I don't know how to understand >:

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
I'm not sure I understand this, but on a general idea (correct me if I'm wrong), I think you're saying that maybe a challenge which you must do depending on what other users tell you to do?

I'm just thinking, but maybe a challenge, where you have to update at certain places, and you can't play on until you're given instructions on what to do next or something. Like say you're playing Black/White and you're updating at the Mistralton City, let's say your instructions are that as soon as you enter the next cave, that you're not allowed to exit that cave until you have at least seen a Cryogonal or something. It would be difficult tasks, like the example would be that, but you have to battle every single Pokemon you find, you're not allowed to exit the cave for any reason unless you black out or something like that.

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
/story

One problem would be people just buying repels and using them to get through routes/caves.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
One problem would be people just buying repels and using them to get through routes/caves.
actually, if you fought all the trainers, the pokemon would be seen anyway, so if you avoided trainers and just fought wild pokemon, there would end up being less seen then.

Last edited:

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
actually, if you fought all the trainers, the pokemon would be seen anyway, so if you avoided trainers and just fought wild pokemon, there would end up being less seen then.

True.

Maybe there could be a challenge where you use Gen 1-4 games and can only use Pokemon that received evolutions in later generations. So your team could consist of, for example, Scyther, Electabuzz, and Magmar, and many others. Yea, neigh?

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
if you win, you get points, if you lose you lose points.
I like this part. Its sounding like our event that we talked about possibly planning sometime in the future.
True.

Maybe there could be a challenge where you use Gen 1-4 games and can only use Pokemon that received evolutions in later generations. So your team could consist of, for example, Scyther, Electabuzz, and Magmar, and many others. Yea, neigh?
I dunno... I mean, it could work, but it just seems like another same old challenge, where you beat the game with Pokemon that fall under (insert restriction here). It just seems like the same as an Egg Group, Habitat, Animal (where you could only use cats, etc.) challenge. Yeah its another way to beat the game but its not really that different, if you get what I mean.

Sorry if this sounds mean and stuff, just coming off a long day of classes that ended half an hour ago (9:15 PM). Constructive criticism is good though.

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I like this part. Its sounding like our event that we talked about possibly planning sometime in the future.

I dunno... I mean, it could work, but it just seems like another same old challenge, where you beat the game with Pokemon that fall under (insert restriction here). It just seems like the same as an Egg Group, Habitat, Animal (where you could only use cats, etc.) challenge. Yeah its another way to beat the game but its not really that different, if you get what I mean.

Sorry if this sounds mean and stuff, just coming off a long day of classes that ended half an hour ago (9:15 PM). Constructive criticism is good though.

I see, but it is still a challenge nonetheless. Isn't that what challenges are about? I see what you mean, but I don't see why just because using restrictions is a challenge, just like a monotype restricts you to one type.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
I see, but it is still a challenge nonetheless. Isn't that what challenges are about? I see what you mean, but I don't see why just because using restrictions is a challenge, just like a monotype restricts you to one type.
See, I wish I was better at talking when I'm tired. I definitely agree that it would be a challenge, in fact, I would do it if it stayed up for long enough (After I finish all the Monotypes, I'm going to do all of the other challenges at least once, I think. Shouldn't take that long...).

The curse of the monotype is that it is sort of the bar for challenges. I know that at least for me, and I certainly can't speak for all challengers here, but I always look at a challenge and think, "would I have more fun doing this challenge or doing a monotype/solo/nuzlocke." Because there's no point in doing a challenge if you don't have fun. Unfortunately, I usually would have more fun doing one of the popular ones. I really don't even know why. Its probably not that way for most of the challengers. Maybe I just am an exception in feeling that most challenges are sort of dull.

The monotype is so different because you are so weak to something I guess. It's the perfect balance between difficulty, time, and fun.

Tl;dr: I don't know why I like monotypes so much, and I'm just throwing my two cents in. Also I'd do the challenge, I'm just concerned about a lot of other people doing it.

Maelstromk

The Dead Philospher
Years
Constructive criticism is good though.[/s]

well I kinda saw the suggjestion as breaking away from it, it doesn't matter how you do it, or with what pokemon, (ex. trying to reduce encounter rate by repel or turning the game off and on agian, only doing wild battles and avoiding trainers, vice-verca)

I mean I get the fact it's a rather "open" thing, but I kinda like it that way, I just wish I could construct it with rules and things to make it from becoming too easy/hard, which is why I came to the C&ID (If this wasn't about my suggjestion, then I misread, in which case, ignore me and carry on as you like ^_^)

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
Monotypes are really fun and all, but the worst part about them are that there are those types which are quite hard, and those types which are quite easy, due to their diversity with other typing. I mean look at say, the Flying type. There's so much diversity with Water, Bug, Fire, Ground and pretty much another type which will really help you along the way. Struggling against Wattson for flying? Get a Gligar on your team! Some other types, such as Grass which don't have many secondary types, would be much harder.

Also, I do have a few challenges which would be fun in mind, but not really worthy of a thread, except maybe one for say, independence day. Pretty much like the St. Patrick's Day one, except different things depending on the challenge. So something like this.
- For the American Flag's red, you must choose a Red Pokemon
- For blue, a blue Pokemon.
- White for White Pokemon.
- For fireworks, a Pokemon which learns Selfdestruct/Explosion via level
- For popular picnics, a Pokemon which learns Stockpile via level.

Something like that, and that sort of challenge could vary for different themes as well.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
See, I wish I was better at talking when I'm tired. I definitely agree that it would be a challenge, in fact, I would do it if it stayed up for long enough (After I finish all the Monotypes, I'm going to do all of the other challenges at least once, I think. Shouldn't take that long...).

The curse of the monotype is that it is sort of the bar for challenges. I know that at least for me, and I certainly can't speak for all challengers here, but I always look at a challenge and think, "would I have more fun doing this challenge or doing a monotype/solo/nuzlocke." Because there's no point in doing a challenge if you don't have fun. Unfortunately, I usually would have more fun doing one of the popular ones. I really don't even know why. Its probably not that way for most of the challengers. Maybe I just am an exception in feeling that most challenges are sort of dull.

The monotype is so different because you are so weak to something I guess. It's the perfect balance between difficulty, time, and fun.

Tl;dr: I don't know why I like monotypes so much, and I'm just throwing my two cents in. Also I'd do the challenge, I'm just concerned about a lot of other people doing it.
Here's what I see about monotypes: The variety that is involved is amazing, and the freedom you have (mostly - the less common types aside) is what makes the challenge so fun for me. You have the opportunity to use pokemon you have never used before. Throw in the perfect combination of the ultimate challenge, and the bar is set.

I feel that because just doing monotypes includes so much variety and fun, yet is not overly difficult, other challenges (solo and Nozlockes aside) just can't match up over time. Most people the other challenges once and then never do it again, whereas there are so many monotypes possible that people keep coming back, and Nuzlockes are an Experience.

Anyway, thats my two cents.

I actually think that this new Seasons challenge is one of the better ones I've seen in a while - even better than the Username one, which I enjoyed a lot, but which lacks the repetitive aspect that Monotypes and Nuzlockes do. The Season one is something I think has the potential to have more repetition.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
well I kinda saw the suggjestion as breaking away from it, it doesn't matter how you do it, or with what pokemon, (ex. trying to reduce encounter rate by repel or turning the game off and on agian, only doing wild battles and avoiding trainers, vice-verca)

I mean I get the fact it's a rather "open" thing, but I kinda like it that way, I just wish I could construct it with rules and things to make it from becoming too easy/hard, which is why I came to the C&ID (If this wasn't about my suggjestion, then I misread, in which case, ignore me and carry on as you like ^_^)
Nope, you just misread.

Monotypes are really fun and all, but the worst part about them are that there are those types which are quite hard, and those types which are quite easy, due to their diversity with other typing. I mean look at say, the Flying type. There's so much diversity with Water, Bug, Fire, Ground and pretty much another type which will really help you along the way. Struggling against Wattson for flying? Get a Gligar on your team! Some other types, such as Grass which don't have many secondary types, would be much harder.

Also, I do have a few challenges which would be fun in mind, but not really worthy of a thread, except maybe one for say, independence day. Pretty much like the St. Patrick's Day one, except different things depending on the challenge. So something like this.
- For the American Flag's red, you must choose a Red Pokemon
- For blue, a blue Pokemon.
- White for White Pokemon.
- For fireworks, a Pokemon which learns Selfdestruct/Explosion via level
- For popular picnics, a Pokemon which learns Stockpile via level.

Something like that, and that sort of challenge could vary for different themes as well.
Grass is actually what I'm doing now! Gotta finish this St. Patty's Challenge before Friday at midnight...

Also, yeah, I can see that happening around july. Its basically the same shmeal as the seasons sort of, from what I can tell.

Here's what I see about monotypes: The variety that is involved is amazing, and the freedom you have (mostly - the less common types aside) is what makes the challenge so fun for me. You have the opportunity to use pokemon you have never used before. Throw in the perfect combination of the ultimate challenge, and the bar is set.

I feel that because just doing monotypes includes so much variety and fun, yet is not overly difficult, other challenges (solo and Nozlockes aside) just can't match up over time. Most people the other challenges once and then never do it again, whereas there are so many monotypes possible that people keep coming back, and Nuzlockes are an Experience.

Anyway, thats my two cents.

I actually think that this new Seasons challenge is one of the better ones I've seen in a while - even better than the Username one, which I enjoyed a lot, but which lacks the repetitive aspect that Monotypes and Nuzlockes do. The Season one is something I think has the potential to have more repetition.
Well, Jd nailed what I was trying to say. It also makes you use Pokemon you wouldn't a lot of the time, especially if you're doing an Ultimate Ultimate Monotype, which is the new name for what Jd and I are doing. I done declared it now.

One thing you guys should know about me, if you haven't figured it out yet, is that I am very very very competitive. I play a lot of games with friends and/or family (board, card, video, don't care), and I love playing them. That doesn't mean that I like showing off, I really just like the actual game playing. So, you hopefully can understand how I would prefer a challenge like what someone said last page and i'm calling the team point challenge (split into teams, you get points awarded to your team based on doing certain stuff, you lose points for doing certain stuff) over only use pokemon that evolve in a later game.

And now for my attempt to revive a super awesome challenge. It was called the "Triple Trigen Monotype Master Challenge". Sorta is a combo challenge.

Rules:
1. You may only use three Pokemon (trio challenge)
2. They have to share a type (monotype challenge)
3. They have to all be from different generations, so you can only do it RSE and on (I did it on Platinum and had a blast)
4. The challenge has a lot of requirements- you have to do the following:
- Defeat the Elite Four (twice if they get tougher the second time)
- Catch (not kill) every single legendary available in your game. Obviously, if you're doing Emerald, you can't catch Deoxys, but you still have to catch those annoying roamers.
- Get every single frontier symbol (just silver, not gold)
- Win at least one (something, don't remember) rank contest with each of your Pokemon. I can't remember if its a single Master, or a Normal in every type or what. Its something like that.

This challenge got shut down after everyone thought it was too hard. Would there be any takers?

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I see what you mean about monotypes, and I wasn't trying to shoot them down, but I was just suggesting something that had just crossed me mind.

Oh, and I'm very interested in the seasons challenge. Right now I am going through and deciding on teams for each season to decide which to do first. I havn't posted in the thread yet though..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back