• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I don't think pokemon names are modeled after our own classification system either way, because...well... it doesn't really resemble it whatsoever. It's just a bunch of unique names for different creatures. They don't even give different versions of 'the same' pokemon a different name like we would.

I guess when I think of it that way either way is correct if you want to take artistic license. >___>;
That's because Nintendo doesn't feel like actually making scientific names (as it would be too much work to actually make such a thing). That, or they think it would overwhelm the children. The price we pay for them wanting to keepin' it kid-friendly and idiot proof. That, or they haven't really considered it. I'm really voting for the former two, though. *sigh* Honestly, sometimes I wish they'd just go all out.

Last edited:

Pkmn Trainer Butthead

Proto (Not the *****)
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Has anyone here heard of the concept of casual, or free roleplaying? If so, would anyone be interested in that type of RP?

Greiger

A mad mind... hehe
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2023

What's that? I think PTA is quite casual :p

I've done some casual roleplay on some other forums I frequent. In essence casual roleplay is when you don't do any grammar checking or have to make your post length a certain amount when you roleplay. Also when you have an RP idea you can post the RP immediately without needing a mod to check it. For instance you can just post an OOC and once you get two other players you start the RP and you can wait for other players to join up whenever they feel interested. You don't have to describe your character's thoughts and feeling or have to give detailed description of what they are doing. So many times you'll find some posts that have five to ten sentences in them. Other forums have two section in the roleplay area, one for advanced and one for basic.

I would be extremely interested in it. Especially when I am busy and don't have the time to write up big posts I can still be able to participate in the casual roleplay and write up a post in five minutes.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Yeeaah... You're not going to find one of those kinds of things here. I prefer the advanced RP style anyways. The stories are more interesting and well thought out (most of the time) and I enjoy the intricate posting.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I've done some casual roleplay on some other forums I frequent. In essence casual roleplay is when you don't do any grammar checking or have to make your post length a certain amount when you roleplay. Also when you have an RP idea you can post the RP immediately without needing a mod to check it. For instance you can just post an OOC and once you get two other players you start the RP and you can wait for other players to join up whenever they feel interested. You don't have to describe your character's thoughts and feeling or have to give detailed description of what they are doing. So many times you'll find some posts that have five to ten sentences in them. Other forums have two section in the roleplay area, one for advanced and one for basic.

I would be extremely interested in it. Especially when I am busy and don't have the time to write up big posts I can still be able to participate in the casual roleplay and write up a post in five minutes.
:s that sounds like spam. I don't think it's something that fits on this forum. Rather, some RPers could group up and do that over MSN or something.

Or, that kind of thing could go in the Other Trivia forum here at PokéCommunity. At least if you speak to the mod there about it first and got an OK.

Greiger

A mad mind... hehe
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2023
Well, the whole idea of casual roleplay on other forums is to help new roleplayers get into what roleplaying is about. In essence a casual roleplays main goal is to help new rpers become advanced and eventually graduate into advanced roleplays. I know that people come over here that have never RPed before so the idea would be to get them into casual roleplay and lead them through making a good post by actual demonstration. Let them get the feel for how to act out a character or how to start portraying a character's feelings, in essence give them 'on the job training' instead of having them read a manual. Let them find out in their own way how to make longer and more detailed posts. Once they feel they have had enough training and are ready for the advanced roleplays then they come to the advanced section and will be ready to check their grammar and make their posts the appropriate length.

That's what my other forum uses it for, although since PC is high maintenance we may have a graduation ceremony for those that do move on from casual. Maybe have an event ever now and then where advanced roleplayers look over a casual roleplayers recent posts and if they think that the roleplayer is ready for the advanced stuff then they can start posting in the advanced thread. What do you guys think?

Rokusasu

Scientist Salarian
Years
I dunno, I see that as kinda segregation rather than helpful to 'casual' role players. I'd rather see a mentoring system whereby 'advanced' role players help out and guide 'casual' role players. I used to be part of a site where role plays were labelled as 'semi-literate', 'literate' and 'advanced' - if anyone fell below the standard then they were booted out, very few were open to all 'standards'. It got a lot of criticism as many of the 'advanced' role players were labelled as elitists (and some of them were), people split up into factions almost and role playing wasn't a communal thing.

I also disagree on the idea of a good post being 'long and detailed'. Sure, you've got to keep in mind the rules of this particular forum and anything the GM lays out, but you can write just as well without oodles of description (this is probably my uni yelling "SHOW NOT TELL" at me for the last two years coming to surface). Heck, some people write really engaging dialogue and that's not necessarily long or detailed. Even monologues aren't always amazingly wordy essays - it depends on the character.

People can feel free to pick apart my argument or disagree, I have no qualms with that. After all, if we felt the same way about everything the world would be a terribly boring place.

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
Years
LMAO!!! in my next SU my character will know dutch! );D woot~ i think thats going to be alot of fun~ :3 (i speak fluent dutch~)

Pkmn Trainer Butthead

Proto (Not the *****)
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Well, the whole idea of casual roleplay on other forums is to help new roleplayers get into what roleplaying is about. In essence a casual roleplays main goal is to help new rpers become advanced and eventually graduate into advanced roleplays. I know that people come over here that have never RPed before so the idea would be to get them into casual roleplay and lead them through making a good post by actual demonstration. Let them get the feel for how to act out a character or how to start portraying a character's feelings, in essence give them 'on the job training' instead of having them read a manual. Let them find out in their own way how to make longer and more detailed posts. Once they feel they have had enough training and are ready for the advanced roleplays then they come to the advanced section and will be ready to check their grammar and make their posts the appropriate length.

That's what my other forum uses it for, although since PC is high maintenance we may have a graduation ceremony for those that do move on from casual. Maybe have an event ever now and then where advanced roleplayers look over a casual roleplayers recent posts and if they think that the roleplayer is ready for the advanced stuff then they can start posting in the advanced thread. What do you guys think?

What I was thinking for the casual roleplay was something where the standards are looser, yet still exist. In the casual Roleplay, there wouldn't exactly be pushing towards a goal, it's a bit more of do what you please. Any type of RP'er could join whether rookie, pookie (a mix of pro and rookie, hence pookie) or pro, and have some kind of fun. What I imagine this casual roleplay doing is help free up Writer's Block. The casual roleplay could help people start writing (typing) when they can't think of ideas for the RP's they are in now, which would potentially keep more RP's alive. Also as Greiger said, the casual roleplay would be a starting ground for new RP'ers. For this adaptation of a Casual Roleplay, there would be standards, but be a bit easier to help new RP'ers. And veteran RP'ers could help coach new RP'ers through the thread, teach them the basics of RP'ing in the casual Roleplay. Just a thought.

Rokusasu

Scientist Salarian
Years
But surely people could do the same thing with IM programs? And not all new RPers are at the same level. I can see what you mean about getting them familiar with the ways in which RPs work or having somewhere we as writers can blow off steam.

By 'goal' I take it you mean that there's no exact plot, just a setting/scenario for people to explore? Because something like that seems a lot more character oriented - a place where you could develop a character would be a good thing, but then again you can do the same kinda thing via PM/IM/ on Word.

Apologies if I don't make sense. My lungs hate me.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I agree on Rokusasu here. WestsideConnection's idea sounds interesting though - if it is carried out by a devoted GM. Because I think it would need a GM, regardless if there would be actual sign ups or not.

As for the system of not letting people post until they've gotten "good enough", I couldn't be more against it. Rather than be intimidating against new roleplayers, veterans should help out new players and encourage them to improve by trying for real instead of being pushed away to some newbie section. Then again, I don't think anyone here is downright intimidating now :3

Also, I need to think more about that, Roxas. Show, not tell...

ShinyDiamond

[b]The Other Promise[/b]
Years
I agree on Rokusasu here. WestsideConnection's idea sounds interesting though - if it is carried out by a devoted GM. Because I think it would need a GM, regardless if there would be actual sign ups or not.

As for the system of not letting people post until they've gotten "good enough", I couldn't be more against it. Rather than be intimidating against new roleplayers, veterans should help out new players and encourage them to improve by trying for real instead of being pushed away to some newbie section. Then again, I don't think anyone here is downright intimidating now :3

Also, I need to think more about that, Roxas. Show, not tell...

If/When new RPers comes flyin' in, I won't hesitate to welcome them. I may act out sometimes, but I try to be friendly so no one hates me.

xD & which kind of Roxas are you talking about? Sora's nobody?

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
@WestsideConnection & RHCP: Hahaha... you both just totally described PTA, one of you intentionally.

There's totally a section of my Roleplayer's Etiquette guide that deals with RPing mindsets. The two major mindsets are competitive and cooperative. Casual roleplayers very often fit within the cooperative mindset, which is very much how PTA works.

(However, one should note that the opposite of being casual is being obsessed, not being competitive.)

Also, are all of you aware of PC's mentor team? Link to the mentor team thread

It's a program where veterans to boards adopt new members and teach them the ropes. Right now we have 2 mentors for the RPC (Miss Doronjo and myself).

The warden

I'm back!
Years
Have there been any RP crossovers(where players in different RPs interact)? I just wanted to know if anyone had any examples of this working. Also what are your opinions on RP crossovers. I think it would well if one GM ran both RPs or two GMs who got along agreed to it. Meeting up with players you hadn't expected to could be quite fun and you wouldn't have to sign up twice either.

King!

better
Years
[FONT=2384f3bdc16e0fe40a199280#600d00][FONT=2384f3bdc16e0fe40a199280#600d00]What I was thinking for the casual roleplay was something where the standards are looser, yet still exist. In the casual Roleplay, there wouldn't exactly be pushing towards a goal, it's a bit more of do what you please. Any type of RP'er could join whether rookie, pookie (a mix of pro and rookie, hence pookie) or pro, and have some kind of fun. What I imagine this casual roleplay doing is help free up Writer's Block. The casual roleplay could help people start writing (typing) when they can't think of ideas for the RP's they are in now, which would potentially keep more RP's alive. Also as Greiger said, the casual roleplay would be a starting ground for new RP'ers. For this adaptation of a Casual Roleplay, there would be standards, but be a bit easier to help new RP'ers. And veteran RP'ers could help coach new RP'ers through the thread, teach them the basics of RP'ing in the casual Roleplay. Just a thought.
[FONT=2384f3bdc16e0fe40a199280#600d00]

I don't think this is such a bad idea. I mean it's like PTA (I guess xD) and that seems to work out fine, so I think as long as it had the right GM it would work. Not exactly too much of a structured plot, but more free-roam and such xD It would be an excellent place for new RP'ers to start and all of the other things you said about writer's block and that. Yeah, I think I'd like something more casual like this (other than PTA, of course~)

WestsideConnection's idea sounds interesting though - if it is carried out by a devoted GM. Because I think it would need a GM, regardless if there would be actual sign ups or not.

Sign-ups would probably still be a good idea for a more casual RP, although maybe not graded as harshly. Just to get a feel of who the characters are and to keep track, etc.

Have there been any RP crossovers(where players in different RPs interact)? I just wanted to know if anyone had any examples of this working. Also what are your opinions on RP crossovers. I think it would well if one GM ran both RPs or two GMs who got along agreed to it. Meeting up with players you hadn't expected to could be quite fun and you wouldn't have to sign up twice either.

Do you mean like...taking two completed RPs and making a completely new one that features the characters from both separate ocmpleted RPs together in a new plot? Or having two or more hcaracters from different RPs interact in the same post but for two separate RPs? I'm confused... But the former definitely sounds like a cool idea, if the plot was well thought out and the people in the completed RPs were up for it.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

The warden

I'm back!
Years
King! said:
Do you mean like...taking two completed RPs and making a completely new one that features the characters from both separate ocmpleted RPs together in a new plot? Or having two or more hcaracters from different RPs interact in the same post but for two separate RPs? I'm confused... But the former definitely sounds like a cool idea, if the plot was well thought out and the people in the completed RPs were up for it.

My idea was players from two different RPs meeting up at some point before going back to whatever they were doing. But the other idea sounds fun too.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
@WestsideConnection & RHCP: Hahaha... you both just totally described PTA, one of you intentionally.

There's totally a section of my Roleplayer's Etiquette guide that deals with RPing mindsets. The two major mindsets are competitive and cooperative. Casual roleplayers very often fit within the cooperative mindset, which is very much how PTA works.

(However, one should note that the opposite of being casual is being obsessed, not being competitive.)

Also, are all of you aware of PC's mentor team? Link to the mentor team thread

It's a program where veterans to boards adopt new members and teach them the ropes. Right now we have 2 mentors for the RPC (Miss Doronjo and myself).

And Roswell.
Right now I'm having about 3 mentees~

Well, I guess I recommend you guys just PM Meganium if you want to be a mentor. :3

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 7, 2023

Hey, I do remember a bunch of us had planned a new kind of RPing called Twin RPing last summer. It was basically meant to go like this, both followed similar storylines but both were set in different time AND one followed Pokemon while the other followed Humans. Later on, after reaching a certain point, the RPs combined into one and all characters would meet and interact, then continue towards the end. Sounds a bit confusing, but that's just because it's like 2 am and I can't really explain anymore right now lol.

Though I guess a few of us can start working on that once again now that summer has started. Maybe. Dunno, I guess we'll have to talk if this actually generates some interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back