• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sierra's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial

Years
  • Seen Jun 1, 2013
Hi I'm new and tried the basic message script but then when i tested it when i talk to the person, the game just freezes?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
I'm having a few problems with one of my scripts. First of all, the nicknaming portion of the script does not work (when it goes to nickname the Pokémon ingame, it nicknames "?" and not the appropriate Pokémon - the Magikarp given in this script). My second issue: the flag (0x9006) which prevents the guy from selling the Magikarp twice (instead he just tells you to scram) appears to work; however, when I leave the room/open the start menu etc., it seemingly clears the flag/ignores the checkflag and acts as if you've never talked to the guy before (so you can buy another Magikarp - c'mon, that'd be WAY too overpowered if someone could buy TWO Magikarp ^_^). Any suggestions/thoughts/corrections?

PS: I am aware there is no offset after the #dynamic 0x in the spoiler. I didn't think it mattered which offset it was set to. I compiled the script in a test ROM so the offset used for that would be different than the actual offset I intend to compile this script to.

EDIT: Also, another minor glitch/oddity that came up: right around when the Pokémon is given, the lock on the NPC is seemingly released and he begins moving again.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
I'm having a few problems with one of my scripts. First of all, the nicknaming portion of the script does not work (when it goes to nickname the Pokémon ingame, it nicknames "?" and not the appropriate Pokémon - the Magikarp given in this script). My second issue: the flag (0x9006) which prevents the guy from selling the Magikarp twice (instead he just tells you to scram) appears to work; however, when I leave the room/open the start menu etc., it seemingly clears the flag/ignores the checkflag and acts as if you've never talked to the guy before (so you can buy another Magikarp - c'mon, that'd be WAY too overpowered if someone could buy TWO Magikarp ^_^). Any suggestions/thoughts/corrections?

PS: I am aware there is no offset after the #dynamic 0x in the spoiler. I didn't think it mattered which offset it was set to. I compiled the script in a test ROM so the offset used for that would be different than the actual offset I intend to compile this script to.

EDIT: Also, another minor glitch/oddity that came up: right around when the Pokémon is given, the lock on the NPC is seemingly released and he begins moving again.

Spoiler:

The flag doesn't work because that one is simply way beyond what is should be. You should be using flags in the are of 0x200 rather than 0x9000+.

Edit: Just figured out you were hacking Emerald so some of my stuff was wrong

Last edited:
Years
hi diego ur scripting tutorials r great can any1 tell me how can i creat a script such tht professor oak give me national dex not normal pokedex whn i complete the pokemart errand

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
The flag doesn't work because that one is simply way beyond what is should be. You should be using flags in the are of 0x200 rather than 0x9000+.

Edit: Just figured out you were hacking Emerald so some of my stuff was wrong

I'm hacking FireRed. I actually started with flags at 9000 because I had no idea of where to start and was asking anyone of my hacking "team" and someone said to start at "over 9000." :P Is there a particular reason that flags that high don't work? I used a flag 0x9000 that works. (I'm gonna triple check that one to make sure it's still working properly). Come to think of it, 0x9004 worked too.

However, now that I think about it, I had a previous hack project with flags that worked around 0x1000. Will 0x1000-0x2000 work? I'm gonna go change the faulty Magikarp flag and even the high flags that seemingly worked.

PS: Any explanation about the nickname failure though?

EDIT: I fixed my script by changing the flag to 0x1006, the special to 0x9E, and I added in lock in a few other places in the script to keep Mr. Antsy Pants from moving when he shouldn't have been. Thanks for all of your help guys, I appreciate it! ;D

Last edited:

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but XSE has stopped running for me. I open it, only for it to close itself after about 3 seconds. What's the deal?

Also, is it possible to make a script that keeps a sprite hidden from view until a certain event happens first?

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but XSE has stopped running for me. I open it, only for it to close itself after about 3 seconds. What's the deal?

Also, is it possible to make a script that keeps a sprite hidden from view until a certain event happens first?

Oh, come on this has been answered several times in the Simple Questions Thread already but anyways I'll answer for everyone's sake...

Go to the settings ini file and find there the text AutoUpdateCheck=1 change 1 to 0 and it's all good.

Completely possible have the sprite's Person ID flag set and in the certain event have that flag cleared and the sprite should show up.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
Oh, come on this has been answered several times in the Simple Questions Thread already but anyways I'll answer for everyone's sake...

Go to the settings ini file and find there the text AutoUpdateCheck=1 change 1 to 0 and it's all good.

Completely possible have the sprite's Person ID flag set and in the certain event have that flag cleared and the sprite should show up.

Yeah, i had a feeling it was answered somewhere, but I didn't want to flip through hundreds of pages (searching the thread doesn't work for me). Sorry for asking one of "those questions". xD
It worked though, thanks.

Years
This is great but I have a problem. Is there a tutorial on how to compile the script to allow it to work in the game? because I tried compiling the script but the game just freezes when I enter the room with the script in.

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
This is great but I have a problem. Is there a tutorial on how to compile the script to allow it to work in the game? because I tried compiling the script but the game just freezes when I enter the room with the script in.

in A map did u use a script box (that green box with an s)
if u did place the following
unknown 0300
var num 4050

and the script shud work

Years
  • Seen May 1, 2022
Hello, I took a break from rom hacking after I discovered that I had to uninstall everything and start over (certain files were missing or something and no rom hack would run properly on my comp, making it a hassle to make one myself).

After realizing I could not stay away I came back, but to a surprise, nothing I do in advance map saves, i have tried everything to my extent (and the extent of google searches) of knowledge and I cannot figure out why nothing is saving.

I have uninstalled everything once again before I re-install I would like to know, are there certain links that I should avoid? I had the newest version of Amap (although i think ima go back to 1.92 if i can find a working link), XSE 1.1.1, was using the built in FSF, and YAPE. I had a clean version of Leaf Green.

Any help would be appreciated.

kj3400

Wants a Magneton for a Charger
Years
  • Seen May 11, 2014
I believe just making a script and saving it as a level script will do. Just don't add a 'setvar' at the end, which means everytime you enter the map, the script will activate.

munchhack

Advanced Scripter
Years
I have one problem, whenever I go outside, the script start for the first to applymovement, and then nothing happens. I get released, and the policeman just stands there. Here is my code:
Spoiler:

Oh and btw, if you reply please pm me, because I probably won't see it if you just reply here, or if you vm me.

Years
I'm not sure if I just missed it or being blind, but is there a command where the camera will move to different sprites?

Back