• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon: Pikachu's Tale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Yeah, I noticed Barker used CheesePeow's rombase....
anyways, it suits the hack. But I think Barker will be adding more tiles to it..
I actually like zel's idea of putting pikachu on the choulder, rather than it following you and that sounds decent. Anyways the towns and cities will hopefully be remapped, into bigger sizes, I think.

zel 2.0

Gold Remaker
Years
I wanted to comment on some people's posts, to give a few opinions and maybe some ideas

I know in Anime that Bubasaur, Charmander and Squirtle doesn't evolve, but it will be
boring if you don't let them evolve.(And, yes, I watched Anime A LOT. I'm still watching them now.)

With the exception of Charmander, which evolves, the other two (and Pikachu as well) will surely need an edition with Pokemon Amplifier, that way they could be prevented from evolving if you want to stick closer to the anime, and it also enables you to give their stats some boost (I'm pretty sure Ash's yellow rat needs a HUGE boost to stand up against stronger Pokemon)

how will you make it impossible to release your pikachu?
If you release it,the characters will be wondering why a pikachu is still on your back.

If you really want to avoid releases, just get rid of the PC XD
But I guess you'll probably need it later -_-

What about when you start the game? Will pikachu be already on your back?

A simple solution (although I'm not sure if you'll want it, Barker), when Oak is talking in the intro just make that part the event when Ash gets Pikachu, so at the end when the game starts, it'll be logical that you already begin with Pikachu (I know, in the beginning Pika wasnt that friendly, but it's the best I came up with)

Mitchman

Banned
Years
If you really want to avoid releases, just get rid of the PC XD
But I guess you'll probably need it later -_-
No I thought of something while reading this. What if like in the show you get your pokemon from oak if it is deposited. You can create a script were oak says "Ash that is your beloved pikachu. You know he doesn't like pokeballs and pokemon depositories. And Also if my theory is correct the way oak stops you from using Items in a house you configure it to make you stop depositing pikachu. Sorry if it didn't make sense or cant e done

adamb241

Pokémon Raging Fury
Years
I like your story line a lot. It would be awesome if you could make the Pikachu hang onto Ash (Player) like the story says. Anyways, good luck with this.

Barker

I'm drifting in deep waters..
Years
  • Age 32
  • Utah
  • Seen Dec 31, 2016
It's nice too see someone using my rombase :). (looking at your avatar)
I'm looking forward to this, the feature that caught my eyes was the towns being remapped, maybe you'll make them more realistic? Like larger and more adventerous? I'm thinking cities will have more houses, even if you cant get in them.

I'm thinking of updating that rombase soon. So maybe you'll be interested? :).
Good luck!
I'm absolutely in love with it, I hope you're okay with that. :P I love the trees and palettes most, and if you do update it, please be sure to let me know.

(Actually, my avatar is a mock-up; I used your Base to spice up some practice maps before I opened this thread, and before my computer crashed, so I don't have the base anymore. So yeah, an update would be great. Don't get me wrong, I still plan to use it, if you allow me.(Yes, if interested, there are some versions of my mapping style in the Map Rating thread.))

Yeah, I plan to make everything on a bigger scale (Read: Longer Routes, bigger, more detailed towns. More varied landscape, with some sense of hills and ranges, like in D/P. Flatland gets old.) In all, thanks for your support. It's much appreciated.
Yeah, I noticed Barker used CheesePeow's rombase....
anyways, it suits the hack. But I think Barker will be adding more tiles to it..
I actually like zel's idea of putting pikachu on the choulder, rather than it following you and that sounds decent. Anyways the towns and cities will hopefully be remapped, into bigger sizes, I think.
If the idea catches on, It'll be implemented for sure.

Anyway, a hand for C3L, who is helping me to learn the intricacies of Scripting. :P

Mr. Zel: All good ideas, the intro bit especially. I do plan on letting Bulbasaur/Squirtle evolve though; there are going to be inconsistencies with Ash's team anyway, right? (I can't force people to catch Caterpies or 30 Tauros.)

I think for now, I'll try to go forward with the shoulder idea. If not, I'll just pass the Pikachu off as a backpack. -_-
No I thought of something while reading this. What if like in the show you get your pokemon from oak if it is deposited. You can create a script were oak says "Ash that is your beloved pikachu. You know he doesn't like pokeballs and pokemon depositories. And Also if my theory is correct the way oak stops you from using Items in a house you configure it to make you stop depositing pikachu. Sorry if it didn't make sense or cant e done
That's actually a superb idea, and if it can be done, It will be done.

Also: Thanks adamb. Support means everything at this stage in the process.

EmeraldSky

Make the Colors in the Sky!
Years
Wow, I'm actually excited about this!

Are you planning to have the characters say everything they do in the show, or are you taking a few liberties in the script?

Secondly, how are we going to handle Brock's "crazy romantic" moments?

Barker

Years
  • Age 32
  • Utah
  • Seen Dec 31, 2016
Wow, I'm actually excited about this!

Are you planning to have the characters say everything they do in the show, or are you taking a few liberties in the script?

Secondly, how are we going to handle Brock's "crazy romantic" moments?
For the most part, I plan for characters to say exactly what they do in the show. Of course, there will have to be differences, but yep, It's all part of the continuity aspect I want to keep good.

Brock and Misty, having them follow Ash around would be overkill IMO. As for your question, I'll defiantly have him doing some romantic things in, for a little bit of comic relief. Him and Misty will both probably just come from offscreen when they're needed.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
For the most part, I plan for characters to say exactly what they do in the show. Of course, there will have to be differences, but yep, It's all part of the continuity aspect I want to keep good.

Brock and Misty, having them follow Ash around would be overkill IMO. As for your question, I'll defiantly have him doing some romantic things in, for a little bit of comic relief. Him and Misty will both probably just come from offscreen when they're needed.

You could have them just walk into the character's overworld and disappear.

It was an effect that they used in the Final Fantasy series, instead of people actually following you around, they would simply walk into you, and they would walk about when they had something to say.

Antwhan

setting up for the big beta
Years

It was an effect that they used in the Final Fantasy series, instead of people actually following you around, they would simply walk into you, and they would walk about when they had something to say.

It is a cool effect that I've seen in some other hacks, and i hope to implement into my own as well. It is a very common effect used in many rpgs nt just final fantasy. It's nice to see someone taking a yellow redux so seriously, Looking forward to this mate. :)

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
Years
so in the hack it would LOOK like Pikachuu is following you, but in reality, they're really the same sprite! (see attachment)

DON'T TELL THE KIDDIES!

Barker

Years
  • Age 32
  • Utah
  • Seen Dec 31, 2016

I had in the back of my mind, subconsciously, in dream, thought of that. I didn't know if it was a feasible idea. Now that I know it is, that's a direction I'll go in as far as Misty/Brock are concerned. Thanks man.
It is a cool effect that I've seen in some other hacks, and i hope to implement into my own as well. It is a very common effect used in many rpgs nt just final fantasy. It's nice to see someone taking a yellow redux so seriously, Looking forward to this mate. :)
Thanks a lot, really. (You guys have no idea how much just one post like this motivates me. :D)

Over the year or so I've lurked, I noticed that some hacks just get thrown together haphazardly. I promised myself that I wouldn't be one of those hackers, and now that I'm beginning to start my own hack, I'm keeping that promise. When dealing with hacks, the first impression is often the only impression. It's for that reason that I don't plan to start serious work on this until I'm comfortable with everything.

~KiTsUnE - Those look great, but I'm trying to shy away from the total-two-tile character approach, which I saw fail in an earlier Yellow Remake. Also, there's the problem of Pikachu jumping diagonally a tile each time you turn, which is why I switched to the Pikachu-Backpack approach.

And again, a special thanks to C3LEBI, who is helping me to get scripting down.

For those wondering how remapping is going to be: I took a study break from scripting (haermm) to map an early version of Route 1 on my "Test" ROM while watching my Suns beat down the Spurs. In FR, the dimensions are 24x40. In this early version for PT, the dimensions clocked in at 40x50, which will probably be increased to 40x60. It has a lake, obviously, for the Misty/Bike event, and some hills... I dunno. It has a tiny bit of semblance to FR's Route 1, but let me be clear: I did clear the map with Trees before starting. I'd post a mapshot, but the Grass on the Rombase I used freaked out, and I need to reinsert some working grass. Maybe tomorrow, after more scripting practice. (Yes, I test-map with Rombases, because the Original tiles have a way of making me bored. -_-)

Mitchman

Banned
Years
Cool I always wanted that lake in a game.
Anyway I was thinking are you going to have a special script were 3 or 4 spearows attack. Cause then it will feel even more like the show.
Edit: Offtopic how do you like my ashachu avie

EmeraldSky

Make the Colors in the Sky!
Years
One way you could do a Brock "crazy romantic" moment is that once the girl appears and says what she needs to say before the moment, Brock sprite could go "!" (like a trainer that has spotted you), really quickly race up to the girl, and while he's talking, hearts go flying from him into the air until Misty drags him away.

SilentWing

クロバット
Years
Barker, what a pleasant surprise. I saw you quite a bit on the Shiny Gold thread and thereabouts, and I noticed you have a sense of professionalism about your work. Now that you're starting a hack of your own, I'm pleased to see it's no less professional. I'm quite pleased with the level of ideas being thrown around here, and it seems like you have the motivation to make it work, even if it is your very first hack. After all, so was Shiny Gold to zel. :)

I would very much like to see this game in a different rom base and with different route/town dimensions. As was said earlier, bigger cities, more realistic terrain, a great rombase, and some new anime-related sprites is everything needed graphically. How advanced will the scripting be? I've seen some scripts that make me reel, such as the complicated motion of many people in a room at once, a pokemon chooser script, a zelda-like shop, side-scrolling (GBC rom, though), etc. Surely you don't intend to go that far, do you?

zel 2.0

Gold Remaker
Years
Pikachu as a backpack, does that make it a "Backpackachu"?
Sorry, I had to do it, I couldnt resist XP

Well, at least I can see that people got interested in this, and have good ideas. Now I hope you can satisfy as much as you can, Barker. Good luck, specially when scripting, which will be hell -_-

Barker

Years
  • Age 32
  • Utah
  • Seen Dec 31, 2016
Cool I always wanted that lake in a game.
Anyway I was thinking are you going to have a special script were 3 or 4 spearows attack. Cause then it will feel even more like the show.
Edit: Offtopic how do you like my ashachu avie
Yep. Probably a battle with a higher leveled Spearow or two (Level Eightish, in addition to Pikachu's type advantage) to demonstrate the point, along with the Spearows running away.

I'll have to activate the bike, then deactivate it.

Cool avatar, yeah. Haha. :P
Are we gonna have Brock's father be a tutor or whatever and teach pikashu thunderbolt early on?
Not Thunderbolt, not that early in the game. Not with Misty right around the corner. Maybe a different attack, like Spark.
One way you could do a Brock "crazy romantic" moment is that once the girl appears and says what she needs to say before the moment, Brock sprite could go "!" (like a trainer that has spotted you), really quickly race up to the girl, and while he's talking, hearts go flying from him into the air until Misty drags him away.
Haha, Sounds like a good idea. :laugh:
Barker, what a pleasant surprise. I saw you quite a bit on the Shiny Gold thread and thereabouts, and I noticed you have a sense of professionalism about your work. Now that you're starting a hack of your own, I'm pleased to see it's no less professional. I'm quite pleased with the level of ideas being thrown around here, and it seems like you have the motivation to make it work, even if it is your very first hack. After all, so was Shiny Gold to zel. :)

I would very much like to see this game in a different rom base and with different route/town dimensions. As was said earlier, bigger cities, more realistic terrain, a great rombase, and some new anime-related sprites is everything needed graphically. How advanced will the scripting be? I've seen some scripts that make me reel, such as the complicated motion of many people in a room at once, a pokemon chooser script, a zelda-like shop, side-scrolling (GBC rom, though), etc. Surely you don't intend to go that far, do you?
First of all the beginning of your post made me smile big. I'll never be able to say how much support helps me out. :)

Now then. I plan to use Firered, and yep, everything will be bigger map-wise. Scripting will be complex, but hopefully won't give motion sickness. They'll be kept simple enough to work, but, again, complex enough that you don't say out loud, "Is that it?".
Pikachu as a backpack, does that make it a "Backpackachu"?
Sorry, I had to do it, I couldnt resist XP

Well, at least I can see that people got interested in this, and have good ideas. Now I hope you can satisfy as much as you can, Barker. Good luck, specially when scripting, which will be hell -_-
:laugh:. That made me laugh as much as the Cowterpie joke. (Which will, incidentally, be included in the game, because I'm a weird person.)

I hope to make people happy with this one. And thanks for that encouraging last sentence. :P

:paranoid:

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 23, 2011
This isn't a very productive comment, but I'd like you to know that I like your idea a lot, and am looking forward to some sort of release in the future.

Barker

Years
  • Age 32
  • Utah
  • Seen Dec 31, 2016
Thanks for considering my idea...are you planning on making a MIDI for the "crazy romantic" moments (that is, if you know how to edit the music?)
When we get down the line a little, towards the end of the story, I may start to implement extras like that. For now though, I'm focused on at least delivering the story. Good idea again though. :shocked:
This isn't a very productive comment, but I'd like you to know that I like your idea a lot, and am looking forward to some sort of release in the future.
Hey thanks man. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back