• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen An introduction of new types...?

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I really don't see the point for new types, especially something like Light or Sound. All hat could really do is throw off the balance that the games currently have, and the introduction of new types only came to balance out Psychic types because everything was hit by it in the first generation. I doubt Game Freak would retool something so balanced just to please the fans, it wouldn't make sense.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Can someone link the official statement Gamefreak released stating that Dark and Steel were only added to the game because Psychic was "overpowered"? I can't find it. The only reason Psychic seemed overpowered is because about 25% of Generation I were part Poison, there was one Ghost family, most bugs were very weak, and Mewtwo was by far the strongest Pokemon.

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
Years
Why not have a Rubber or Plastic type if we think about new types.

Even though i am not a supporter of new types, i Like that Idea. A rubber type can include both Natural as well as Artificial Pokemons. It can be weak to Fighting and Fire and strong against Flying, Electric and maybe Grass (Poor Grass, it'll be 6th)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'm not sure how said rubber type would have natural Pokemon :( Like it just seems artificial really. Also rather than being strong against electric it can resist it! I mean that's what Ash used in the ~anime world~.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
The main problem that I have with Rubber, Plastic, or any other Fabrics, is that, it'd be hard to have an affinity for them against other types. But... perhaps they can be something like this:

Fabric:
  • weaknesses - fire, grass, bug, ground (all obvious, I think)
  • resistances - fighting, electric, dragon (armor against fighting and dragon, not a conductor of electricity)
  • super effective against - water (maybe it absorbs water?)
  • not very effective against - rubber, rock, ground, steel (maybe because of the friction properties between them?)
Rubber:
  • weaknesses - ice, psychic, normal (ice obvious, psychic can distort the rubber, and normal needs something to be strong against. can argue that normal wear and tear wears down rubber)
  • resistances - fire, fighting, dragon (fire obvious, fighting probably obvious and that and dragon need to be a little more controlled)
  • immunity - electric, poison (both obvious, I think, and since they're commonly paired with steel, who cares about poison immunity here?)
  • super effective against - fire, electric (stops them right in their tracks?)
  • not very effective against - normal, ice, rock, steel (normal has an immunity, but needs this resistance?)
  • does not work against - ghost (because how can rubber share the title of most immunities with ghost?)

But then, what pokemon can apply as a rubber type? Maybe... pokemon that can expand their bodies, like Jigglypuff because it's a "Balloon Pokemon"? This is quite a weird concept... eh. I'm not quite sure how this can all work exactly, but, it can be interesting.

Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2013
I'm not sure if i said this before bit if they added light type they would make angel Pokemon, I think it's a good idea.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
How about... a scared type? Like, something afraid of things--timid! Yes, that's the word. Like a Timid type - it'd be weak to ghost/fighting obv, and everything Timid-type could evolve into Light type, aka overcoming the fear, and becoming stronger??

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Except that would create a huge amount of controversy. Keep in mind that Pokemon is in hot water with conservative(not to mention extremely religious) parents, and I'd rather just keep it to that small minority than expanding it to include more offended people.

I think you are right, but if they introduced a Light type WITHOUT creating Angel-like Pokemon there shouldn't be too many problems right?
It seems like a lot of people think there is going to be a Fairy/Magic type, which i think would be pretty cool. Then, a lot of Normal Pokemon could be retyped, like Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Togepi...
Sounds like a pretty nice option to me.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
How about... a scared type? Like, something afraid of things--timid! Yes, that's the word. Like a Timid type - it'd be weak to ghost/fighting obv, and everything Timid-type could evolve into Light type, aka overcoming the fear, and becoming stronger??

We already have a Timid nature, so that wouldn't really work =P But I don't really like the sound of that either, but I'm against new types in general so there's a bias for you.

Years
  • Seen Apr 1, 2020
I think new types would be a bit too much because you can only carry six pokemon with you. It would be too difficult to make a balanced team and cover for everything. Granted there are dual typings, coverage moves etc, but still. It would probably work if you could carry more than six pokemon with you, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I think new types would be a bit too much because you can only carry six pokemon with you. It would be too difficult to make a balanced team and cover for everything. Granted there are dual typings, coverage moves etc, but still. It would probably work if you could carry more than six pokemon with you, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

Actually, i once got so bored i did the math on pokemon types. You basically only need 6 types to cover any weaknesses and be super-effective against every type (yup, only 6 types needed!). This means even without dual types, you can have all your bases covered.
So basically adding a new type wouldn't be "too much" in my opinion, but sure, it would change things around and be weird in the beginning. I just don't know if there would be an inbalance...that depends on what types the new type would be strong and weak against.

Ah yeah, you don't think 6 types are enough to cover everything? Try the following:
Fighting, Flying, Ice, Dark, Electric, Ground :D Strong against ANY type

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Aren't Ghosts normally timid, though, Nica? :(

Some of them. Some ghosts can be very playful (like the ghosts in Lavender Town from the anime), or just likes to play nasty tricks on people.

Well, I'm not sure about a Timid type in general since... being Timid is an emotion, no? It'd be tough to see what matchups can work against it, imo. Maybe, as a state of mind, it can co-operate with mind-based types like Psychic, or the manipulating characteristics of Dark pokemon, but, would they be the only ones affected?

It'd be kind of tough to cover every little thing regardless. @_@ From my experience, offensive strategies are usually done by pressuring the opponent, regardless of what types the might have, and just aim to blow every thing out of the park. As for teams like stall or just defensive teams, well, they do work to try and cover types, but still, they don't really cover everything. Pokemon like Blissey is usually enough to take special attacks, and pokemon like Skarmory and Hippowdon can take almost any physical attack.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I wouldn't really be worried about being able to cover a new type or two, since coverage moves in some form would be able to hit them regardless. It's the fact that I'd be worried about types getting thrown off-balance in general, since now it's affecting the previous types as well, causing new weakness and strengths. Even if the new type(s) were uncommon, it can still throw off the entire typing chat.

Years
  • Seen May 15, 2013
After reading a couple of pages of everyone's opinions, I feel like I should add some input into this topic. Ok, here we go... *cracks knuckles*

Based on a standpoint of Game Freak and Nintendo, I am pretty confident that a new typing would become a necessary addition to the other 17 types. Why? Well.. Sooner or later, Pokemon will lose its versatility in type combinations and fans will begin to get sick of the repetitive type groupings in the game. People WILL demand something new and different from Game Freak, and you know they will. Like every other entertainment/video game franchise, changing into something new and fresh keeps the company alive and thriving. If we keep the same types for much longer, fans will die out and that is something no company would want to experience, and I'm sure of it. I'm not saying that this problem is happening now, (except for fire/fighting starters. Oh god Game Freak...Please don't let us down with Fennekin ;__; )we still have many interesting type combinations left and still waiting to be revealed. But, like I said before, it WILL happen. Who knows? Starting now could be a safe move for Game Freak. It's a fresh, new generation, so why not add something like a new type as well?

Personally, I am absolutely happy and fine with the types we have now and wish it would never change, but sadly, everyone would agree that at one point in the future that would have to change. Even though this may seem upsetting to many people (including me), it might be a force of action that would have to taken by the company for the sake of Pokemon. When you think about it, one type wouldn't hurt so bad. You and I might even like it, but that we will just have to see. But hey, if this is the decision they make, then it's the decision that is made. To me, Pokemon is Pokemon, and I will always be a loyal fan for the anime/game. ^.^ We will just have to trust Game Freak/Nintendo in creating a new type IF that is the path taken. Hopefully, it would be a fresh, fun type AND one that would be balanced and equally accepted with the others! I think a light type couldn't be THAT bad of an addition. After all, it's pretty logical since all types have an opposite like flying/ground, fire/water, normal/ghost. I just hope that whatever decision Game Freak makes, it would be a great one! Pokemon forever! ^^v

TL;DR: A new type could be necessary in the future because of the possibility of type combinations to run out. Personally, I hope not.

Oh, and just a sidenote, im on the same boat as everyone else with the whole balance situation because I really do believe it would most likely be too much. But I thought since everyone was having the same idea, it would be nice to add in something different that could be considered as well. I hope this would not happen!! >.< I'll stop talking now...hehe :)

Last edited:

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Although that's very true (and well thought out by the way), we are currently not at that point. There are so many unexplored dual types of Pokémon that are left to be seen that it's unnecessary for us to include a new type. I mean if they actually exhaust all the combinations that are left, at that point maybe the Pokémon franchise won't even be a thing. However, if it is, it'll have been so long that people might not even remember what type combinations we've had in the past. At some point it'll probably be necessary but now it's not.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Honestly, I think people aren't that worried about pokemon types as much as the pokemon themselves. In my opinion, even if all of the type combos will be used up, it won't matter for a person's interests so long as the GF company creates more ideas for concepts of pokemon. And it's a good bet that they will. So if game freak implements a new type, I'd imagine that's because they just want to; besides the whole point of dual types.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 15, 2013
Excellent answers, Miss Doronjo and Jake! :D Sounds quite reasonable to me. I do agree that we are not at that stage yet. Perhaps I just overlooked such a simple and obvious mistake. But, still, I guess it can still serve as food for thought in general! XD And its true that people are more worried about pokemon rather than typing. Heck, even I dont care for the typing! As soon as I saw the new pokemon and 3D change they made to Pokemon X & Y, I was sold! :D haha Well, I guess I'm always sold when any new pokemon game comes out!! :)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Yeah I'm not too sure it'd work too well now :(

Also idk in other things I guess we could have typing X and typing Y, and Pokemon coming under those typings, like that X/Y actually means the typings, and X-Scissor etc and V-create, anything letter-based comes under that typing now. Would change up everything we know right nowww.

Back