• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Old Chateau

Status
Not open for further replies.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Deep within Eterna Forest lies the Old Chateau, and abandoned mansion aroused in mystery. Many tales of it being haunted have floated around Eterna City. Citings of ghosts have been recorded by townsfolk, but do you believe in such a unnatural presence? In general, did you find the Old Chateau interesting at all? Was it a place where you found useful for catching ghastly, haunter, gengar and rotom? Or didn't you bother with visiting? Were you disatifsfied by the little backstory to the ghost citings, would you have much prefered a little more informaiton and perhaps even a side quest to tie in with the Old Chateau?

I definitely found the Old Chateau interesting on first investigations. It held many useful items, and the creepy presence I felt while wandering in the abandoned structure made the whole experience just a little more exiciting. I used my captured ghastly throughout my Sinnoh Pokemon Journey and is now one of my strongest Pokemon -- as a gengar.

Last edited:

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
Years
I heard a rumor that Charon lived there as a child...is it true? I never saw anything that would make me think that...

The music is freaking creepy in there.

Tbh, I jumped when Rotom came out of the TV.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
The music UGH. lol I like it since you can get Rotom there, and it's a personal favorite. But other than that, it doesn't have much going for it really. It's still really neat. I remember seeing the little girl and the butler in there. It didn't scare me as much as it scared my sister haha.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I went in there to catch Rotom, and it's an excellent place to Special Attack EV train and scare the living daylights out of Gardenia :P

I did see the ghost butler floating about once. It wasn't any more freaky than anything else that went on in there...

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
The music in the Old Chateau creeped me out. So did the ghosts of the little girl and the butler.

I only used the Old Chateau for Special Attack EV training after catching Gastly and Rotom.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
At first, the only thing that really caught my eye about it was that you could catch Rotom there, though when I finally got there I was creeped out. All the ghosts and just the creepy atmosphere gave the place a very eerie feel to it, however it made me want to explore even more.

I heard a rumor that Charon lived there as a child...is it true? I never saw anything that would make me think that...
I'm pretty certain that was a creepypasta based on a theory, but I have no idea where they got the idea that Charon would've have lived there.

Mystical Mermaid

Resident Mermaid
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
While I liked the atmosphere of the Old Chateau, I found it to be an otherwise lackluster area in terms of the story. Much like the Abandoned Ship in R/S/E, it served only as a place to gain a couple of rare items, and in this case, Rotom as well. I really think the backstory could have been elaborated on and turned into a quest either in the main story or the postgame. Team Galactic could have been after Rotom to use as a power source for one of their machines or something (at least in Platinum where it can be caught before obtaining the National Dex). According the Bulbapedia, the note found in one of the rooms was written by Charon, indicating he might have had some interest in the place already, but I'm not sure about him growing up there.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
That place creeped me out...I only went there to get a Gangar and Rotom...heck I was afraid to catch Rotom for sometime because of the ghost butler and the girl...

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
The Old Chateau is absolutely amazing. It's a great example of building narrative through gameplay and not just by spitting out dialog at the player.
Everything you gather from the Chateau, with the exception of some slight backstory through Gardenia, is brought about by what you perceive in there.

Their "hidden specialty" is the Old Gateau, which heals any status ailments. A gateau is a cake. From what we know, there was once a "butler" and a little girl. Through this gameplay element you can already begin formulating relationships in your head. The little girl may have liked cake; the butler may have been good at making cake.
Then there are hidden items. The one that I love to draw people's attention to is the Antidote in the trash can in the kitchen connected to the dining hall.
Yes, the item that cures poison is conveniently thrown away in the kitchen wastebasket.

Now, the ambiguity of it all is really where this narrative sub-plot shines. Just like the "Mewtwo Mystery" of gen 1, the player has almost all the pieces, and its up to them to piece it together.
Was this another incident of "the butler did it?" to the little girl, and so her young soul remains here, while his remains out of remorse or guilt?
Was it maybe even the girl who poisoned the butler, and if so, what could be her motives? Was it neither of them at all?
Rotom's existence here, along with the message of the "motor," seem to hint at Charon at least visiting (considering that it was he who discovered Rotom, and it can only be found in the Chateau)--did he have anything to do with this? Or was it someone (or something) else entirely?
The Gastly that roam the mansion ARE part Poison. Did they have a part in this? Or were they even here when the family was alive? If they weren't, why are they here now?
Was it even poison that killed the girl and man, or did they die of other causes?

All of these questions arise simply because the game presents standard elements in an area that we know to have some history. With the exception of the Gateau (which is, in essence, the Lava Cookie's replacement), Game Freak didn't even need to make new elements for the mansion. They already had Antidotes, sprites of people, Pokemon, TVs, and notes. All they had to do was put them together in a way that told its own story, even if it wasn't entirely obvious about what happened.
And you know what they say: a dead man tells no tales. So there's no reason for the entire story to be given away, right?

So you can safely say that I love the Old Chateau and all it has to offer to not only DPP, but the series as a whole.

(Also, Gengar can only be found in the room with the painting with red eyes...just think about what THAT could mean!)

Sakura Rain

→Let's laugh at everything!
Years
Yeah, the Old Chateau is great, but...being honest here, it freaked me out. The only reason I went to the place is to get Rotom, and the music dslkfjslf and then suddenly little girl and butler ghosts and lksfjdsf. I'm about like Gardenia on the matter, really. Me and my friends used to come up with all sorts of theories about what could have happened, and I was always the one saying "CHARON DID IT HE KILLED EVERYBODY SLKDJFSLFDS"

And maybe he did. Hey, he's definitely evil enough to. and perhaps I am basing this viewpoint too much off of pokespe. siiiiigh

Mentalii

Back
Years
I so much went all over it that I know the Old Château by heart, when I first discovered it it really intrigued me. So I investigated, over and over again, facinated by the ghosts, I really wanted to know what happened there. So I'm very disappointed that there isn't more back-story, and that in Platinum they didn't gave us more informations about it... Actually, it was just to add a little creepy side to the forest, I'm sure they didn't think themselves to any back story. They wanted to make an old mansion, and just added the ghosts to add an extra something, but finally we could have done without them as they just decorate...

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2017
The butler and the little girl AND the Gengar in the wall creeped me out but i EV trained my Palkia there.

Years
This place is awesome,i only wish they had more background story.Like it was owned by someone,who died and stuff,also some sidequests dedicate to that place!The Rotom story fits quite perfect,but it woul be nice if they had added more content there!

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Oh wow, I never realised you could get Gengar in the Old Chateau! You really do learn something new every day. In any event, I thought it had a nice atmosphere for a creepy old mansion, and it was definitely elevated by being Rotom's location. I can't say that I spent lots of time there, other than for Rotom, but at least all the backstory meant that some effort was put into the location and it wasn't just a rushjob. Which is always good.

s0nido

turn up the engine
Years
I never found out what the little girl and the butler were doing there. That creeped me out a lot. The music was also terrifying. Otherwise, there really wasn't much to explore in that place besides getting Rotom, which I promptly did before high-tailing it out of there.

LinooneFriend

Pokefriend
Years
My first game was platinum, and back then I barely knew anything about Pokemon. The old chateau SO creeped me out! You wouldn't believe how much time I spent trying to find the butler to ask him what the deal was with that place. It scared me so much that I had a little trouble sleeping that night. I only went in the other rooms after I got over my fear. :)

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2020
It was easily the spookiest area in a Pokemon game I've ever seen. Even more scarier are the ghosts that wander about when you see them.

In the second floor, there's a frame with two glaring eyes. I can't take a look-see at them when I'm alone.

Pinta77

I thought the old chateo (however u spell it) was fairly interesting. But catching rotom was a pain and other then that, there wasnt much to do. So meh :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back