• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Julian Assange has most nobel prize nominees ever

Years
I have doubts he had altruistic intentions in his heart when he released all those documents. I'm not sure it contributed to anything for that matter.

I hope more meaningful nominees win.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
What has Assange done but piss off nations all around the world? Hardly a reason to give him a Nobel prize.

Years
I might support him this time even though I secretly hate him.

And speaking of that, this week's episode of ABC TV's current affairs show Foreign Correspondent is doing a story about him.

He is the reason I hate Wikileaks. Looks like so many users posting in this thread don't want him to win.

I think Harlequin might be right.

Last edited:
Years
Wikileaks revealed some of the less obvious corruption of some Middle Eastern countries, which were responsible for some of the revolts in Tunisia earlier this year. While I completely agree with the dictators getting overthrown and what the people are fighting for in the Middle East, I hardly consider that peace, which is why I don't think he should get the Nobel Peace Prize.

I like that he is making governments around the world more transparent through his leaks, and up until only recently I was in complete support of him. More recently he's been a bit reckless in not withholding some dangerous information so I'm not as much of a supporter of Assange as I once was. Some of the stuff he revealed was incredibly good for the world, however. No peace prize, though.

Years
Wikileaks revealed some of the less obvious corruption of some Middle Eastern countries, which were responsible for some of the revolts in Tunisia earlier this year. While I completely agree with the dictators getting overthrown and what the people are fighting for in the Middle East, I hardly consider that peace, which is why I don't think he should get the Nobel Peace Prize.

I like that he is making governments around the world more transparent through his leaks, and up until only recently I was in complete support of him. More recently he's been a bit reckless in not withholding some dangerous information so I'm not as much of a supporter of Assange as I once was. Some of the stuff he revealed was incredibly good for the world, however. No peace prize, though.

I don't think he or Wikileaks had anything to do with the Arab uprisings.

When I first saw that so-called "Collateral Murder" video (when it was shown in several Wikileaks documentaries) I knew something wrong would happen to him in the near future.

I knew he wouldn't win that Peace Prize, I was tipping it to go to a politician.

Maybe it's because everyone hates him or something (I am one of those Assange-haters), it could be those documents or the trouble he's facing in Sweden that resulted in him getting incarcerated in a British mansion.

He even has to report to police on a daily basis and Daniel Domscheit-Berg (the German man with the glasses) walked out on him and started up a similar website (Openleaks). I think it will take months, even years for Assange to get over the Swedish rape accusation problem.

I think Daniel did the right thing when he decided to leave Wikileaks, he knew Julian Assange was power-hungry, like a "James Bond villain". Daniel Domscheit-Berg even referred to Assange as "meglomaniac".

Herbert Snorrasson, a former Wikileaks staff member who co-founded Openleaks with Daniel Domscheit-Berg stated that Wikileaks is "near collapse".

I felt sorry for poor Herbert, who was sacked from Wikileaks when Julian Assange said this to him:
Spoiler:

That spoiler almost like, reminds me of when Donald Trump says "you're fired" on The Apprentice. (Australia is hosting its own Celebrity Apprentice soon, hosted by Trump's Australian counterpart, Mark Bouris).

And why do you think making governments more transparent was an achievement for him? Most people would forever know him as "the Australian genius behind Wikileaks who was detained in a house because of two pathetic Swedish women".

You also said that you didn't like him as much as you used to.

I've been a 100% Julian Assange-hater since January 2011 and I will always hate him for everyone accusing him of terrorism to his stupid hair and his voice that is so deep he speaks like a trashy, quiet politician (and in Australia, they even did a stage production based on him and the story of Wikileaks).

If you have watched a Wikileaks documentary, tell me if you hated it and what you hate about Wikileaks.

There's this Twitter user named "N08HR" who flamed me for comparing Assange to Draco Malfoy from the Harry Potter series. N08HR even has his own Tumblr blog focused entirely on Wikileaks and although I looked at it myself, it is plain stupid.

Plus also, when those 250,000 diplomatic cables were released, it was not Assange who leaked them, but rather a young American soldier named Bradley Manning who is now in solitary confinement.

Assange even spent a 9-day jail stint where he claimed it to be like "solitary confinement".

If you take a look at him, his appearance is getting stupider every time (he even wore glasses during that appeal against the extradition to Sweden, which I think was a new low appearance-wise, the glasses totally wrecked him up). But the thing I'll always hate about Assange is his trashy platinum-blonde hair that he claims was the result of a failed science experiment.

I support any users here who hate Julian Assange. If you are that kind of user, please friend request me.

Last edited:
Years
Okay, a lot of what you have said is irrelevant to him getting the Nobel Peace Prize so I won't bother with comments about his hair or whatever.

In regards to what you said about Bradley Manning, I completely agree with you. However without Wikileaks it's a lot less likely that the Collateral Murder video would have been seen or heard by so many people. If the Nobel Prize were to be awarded based on transparency, it would be better to attribute it to Bradley Manning as well. I think Assange is more or less ineligible for the Peace Prize, though, because of what he stirred up with the Tunisian revolts (Muammar Gaddafi attributed them to Wikileaks, as did others), or partially anyway (obviously other things like the self-immolation of Muhammad Bouazizi contributed as well).

As for Assange in general - I didn't like his personality or some of his ideals either. That doesn't mean I agreed with those ridiculous secret rape charges to get him extradited to the US, or that he should have been branded a criminal for what he did. I was in support of him (obviously that's starting to wane a little now as he's being more of a nuisance than a help at the moment). Supporting and liking are completely different things. As for making the governments being an achievement for him - it's an achievement because he managed to get in contact with (or have enough renown to be contacted by) Bradley Manning and then show the world some of the terrible things the US military were doing in the Middle East. Going up against a world superpower is most definitely an achievement, even if the guy isn't the coolest kid on the block.

Years
Years
It seems the Nobel Peace Price has been awarded and it's not to Assange.

Nobel Peace Prize recognises women rights activists

This year's Nobel Peace Prize has been awarded jointly to three women - Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Liberian Leymah Gbowee and Tawakul Karman of Yemen.

I'm rather glad they gave the prize to people actually in the middle of struggles for peace and equality. That seems a lot better than awarding armchair peace activists.

I knew he wouldn't win. I mean nearly everyone hates him.

I was tipping an African female to win, let alone two Liberians and a Yemeni.

Years
Opposing the United States is no grounds for anything beyond feeding one's ego in the case of Mr. Assange.

I am highly skeptical Wikileaks contributed to the Arab Spring. I believe it's more due to one's inability to feed one's family. People do not care if their government is corrupt as long as they're perfectly well-fed and safe and the government is putting on some form of veil. It just so happens there was no food, the state-imposed order was disintegrating, and the youth was especially eager to remove men who were despots in all but name. I doubt Wikileaks exposed anything not obvious or already believed by at least a large minority of some societies, least of all that it inspired civil revolt.

Back