• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The NaNoWriMo Thread

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
For those of you who don't know, November is National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo for short). The point of NaNoWriMo is to get yourself motivated to write; since you are forced to write without stopping to revise or edit, as you need to write 50,000 words by the end of the month.

So how many of our forumgoers will be competing, or am I the lone ambassador from PC?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Depends on my end of things. For the first time, I'm pretty much clear this November (as in, without any schoolwork, anyway), but my tendency to slack off is irresistible. I have ideas, though.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I'm not. With the exception of sequels to fics not yet finished and one fic that I can't plan until the English release of B/W, I have no stories I could use for NaNo. There's one that I just started the planning for last night that would definitely allow me to reach the 50,000 word mark. The thing is, though, is that I would much rather write that fic by hand due to the amount of research and videos that I would have to watch. And doing that would automatically cut into my typing time, which is already cut short by increased work hours and reading.

Personally, I'm doing my own NaNo for fics that I've already written out completely. My downfall is that I hate editing and typing what I've already completed long-hand, so my plan is to force myself to write what I've already typed. It's pretty much the NaNoEdiMo that happens in December for everyone who used NaNoWriMo November to their advantage.

Midnight Moon~

Ninja Squirrel
Years
I have a very good idea for a story that should get me those 50,000 words, but this will be my very first time participating. I'd never even heard about this before today~

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'm gunna enter (since I planned to in 2009 but I forgot), I already have a story idea, so yeah. I guess I just want to enter to have enthusiasm to write more? idk, I can't seem to finish something I start lately.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
I tried last year and failed (started a week late though, so I wasn't taking it very seriously). This year I have a story all nice and researched, a plot, a setting, characters, and everything, so hopefully I'll do better.

Azurne

The Local Trickster
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 19, 2011
I am proud to say that if I am entering, I have no idea what the heck I'm doing whatsoever, and will be writing off the top of my head the entire time, even if it doesn't make any sense. ♥

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Quickie suggestion, but how would people feel about having a chatroom for PC NaNoers to keep each other on task/talk about what we're doing/blow off steam once in awhile? Maybe not on IRC, but do people have Skype? MSN? Something along those lines?

Azurne

The Local Trickster
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 19, 2011
I'd be all for it. I don't have Skype, but I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to get. I do have MSN, and use it frequently. I even have an old AOL account somewhere that I could dig up.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
Years
Well, I'm surprised even this many people are doing it, personally. I knew I wouldn't be the only one, but even so. Tried last year, but fell short about halfway due to my sadistic teachers shovelling homework on me. This year, I will, hopefully, have enough time to do it. Trying anyway.

(MSN, btw. On every day.)

Years
Quickie suggestion, but how would people feel about having a chatroom for PC NaNoers to keep each other on task/talk about what we're doing/blow off steam once in awhile? Maybe not on IRC, but do people have Skype? MSN? Something along those lines?

I would be down for that. I got MSN, but I've been trying to figure out how to work the IRC at PC.

Kirozane

Frolic and fun~
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 12, 2023
I have a very good idea for a story that should get me those 50,000 words, but this will be my very first time participating. I'd never even heard about this before today~

I'm basically in that boat, I hadn't heard about it until now too... and I have been in creative writing classes. Haha

But I have an idea that's been simmering on the back burner long enough to use. I should be able to get 50,000 words out without milking fluff.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I don't have either, but I imagine I could get them fairly easily if we decide to do that. They are free, aren't they?
Can't say for sure with Skype, but I would assume that it's free. It's just not as commonly used as, say, MSN or AIM in PC's writing community. Both AIM and MSN are free to sign up. With AIM, you need a screen name; with MSN, you need an email account (doesn't have to be one related to hotmail/msn/windows live).

I figure, though, since a good quantity of people have already said that they have MSN that that would be the program to download.

Years
Mememememememeeeee! I love NaNo! :D It's my favorite time of year; it's the only time I actually interact with fellow writers, it feels like. I'm a little stuck on what I want to do, because I have several ideas and I can't decide which one to do, but I'll pick something by next Monday.

I have MSN and would love to chat, but I have no idea if I'll be able to actually make any of the chats. I work during the day. In theory I could also use Skype, but it kind of makes my computer lag if I try doing anything else. x_x;

...I kind of want to break my record for hitting 50k. I think it's the 15th or 16th? Doubt I'll do it but a girl can dream!

Years
I'd love to take part in NaNoWriMo but all my final high school exams are in the first couple of weeks of November, so I'm not going to have time to do it. It's unfortunate too, cos from mid-November onwards I literally don't have to work or go to school or anything, which would be perfect for writing.

Back