• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Two Journalists shot dead whilst on air.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34062118

Two US journalists have been shot dead during a live TV report in the state of Virginia.

WDBJ7 TV reporter Alison Parker, 24, and cameraman Adam Ward, 27, were killed during an interview in the town of Moneta, the TV station said.

A man, apparently a disgruntled former employee of the TV station, uploaded a video of himself shooting the reporter at close range on social media.

Police say they are investigating the incident and searching for the suspect.

Well this is messed up. Awful, we sent journalists to war zones and hope for them to be safe, meanwhile a 'disgruntled' ex-colleague might shoot you dead at home.

There is a video in the news article, but don't worry it doesn't show anyone dying - just the few moments before.

Christ.

Years
I mean shootings like this are common nowadays, but something about it being on air, live, makes it even more sickening to me. It's so fucked up either way. I actually know somebody I went to high school with who's fiancé worked at a news station out in Va and knows a lot of the people involved.

The silver lining is that Twitter took the shooter's account down and took the videos down as well, it doesn't need to be there for the world to see, which is a mistake I feel we make a lot when mass shootings happen - the shooter's face is plastered all over the news, and takes center stage over the victims and their families.

Spiff

love child
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 30, 2023
I wonder how many times this is gonna happen in my country before we do something about it.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I wonder how many times this is gonna happen in my country before we do something about it.
Probably many more times tbh. Just about every time you hear about one of these shootings happening it garners the same lines from the public and politicians but no one really cares until it effects them directly.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I heard about this this morning before I left for work. And watched about it on CNN most of the morning. All I can think of is why the hell would you do something like this and on live TV no less. CNN did show the video of the shooting this morning so I did get to see it. It's horrid and sooo not far.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Just absolutely awful. Rest in power.

The silver lining is that Twitter took the shooter's account down and took the videos down as well, it doesn't need to be there for the world to see, which is a mistake I feel we make a lot when mass shootings happen - the shooter's face is plastered all over the news, and takes center stage over the victims and their families.

Agreed. Glad to see how his identity has also been stripped down to just 'shooter', or 'gunman', with little personal identification given. This will change once the story unfolds and the dust has settled, but it's good to see how the media is slowly learning how to properly manage the initial moments of these tragedies.

Years
This is truly disgusting. I've never thought much about news reporters, but after this... well I have to respect them exposing themselves like this. It's awful to think there's these kind of people living amongst us today. These two people were innocent. They didn't deserve to die. I've never wished death upon someone, but in a way I'm glad the shooter's dead. We don't need that kind of trash in the world.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
I've never thought much about news reporters, but after this... well I have to respect them exposing themselves like this.

The scary thing is, in this case they weren't even exposing themselves in a dangerous situation - they were just reporting outside a mall or something.

Rest in peace to the two journalists. I agree with the sentiments others have shared about the way in which the media has focused on the journalists rather than the perpetrator - definitely a step in the right direction.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
I'm not going to link the picture here itself because I loathe to promote sensationalism, but there's an awful NY Daily News front cover that's going to be published which plays right into the glorification of the murderer. A frame-by-frame shot of the killer's own video feed with the words EXECUTED ON LIVE TV in huge bold letters.

Journalism has already suffered enough this year - spitting on your own during an annus horribilis for the field is just disgusting.
Let alone how the family of those killed must feel.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
Years
  • Age 33
  • PA
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
I mean shootings like this are common nowadays, but something about it being on air, live, makes it even more sickening to me. It's so psyducked up either way. I actually know somebody I went to high school with who's fiancé worked at a news station out in Va and knows a lot of the people involved.

this is one of those things where it was just bound to happen again and something similar will happen in the future and has happened in the past. why? well look at how many different news outlets are showing the very incident give or take a name & a vid.shootings are always on the news which gives way to more people shooting other people and trying to make a big uproar about it even if it costs them their lives to do so. he wanted to go out with a bang? well so do i, but not like that. i'd rather just have my casket aliened with dynamite or if i ever found out i had a day to live i'd blow myself up in a way that many would see it without being hurt by it in a manor that would make it next to impossible to find out who i was. if someone managed to stop me, i would still get away with it cause of how slow the system is on charging people with crimes. i'd be dead by natural causes long before they could drag me into court for it and the media would be in a frenzy about it and thus more dead men walking will do the same because news casters love to put people in the spot light even when they shouldn't.

shadowmoon522

Years
  • Age 33
  • PA
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
News media outlets seem to be under the control of William Randolph Hearst's Yellow Journalism now more than ever. Sensationalition news stories, bringing fear out of the masses, making celebrities out of criminals. Maybe it's a way for them to cope with the constant violence in the world.
over a decade later and this still holds true
As I waited in line for my biscuit, I overhead the reporters on Good Morning America say, ''His skin was pale as the drug was administered, and his lips trembled and his eyes became glassy . . .'' These reporters were giving the latest ''news'' on Timothy McVeigh's execution Monday morning. Is this necessary? It angers me to hear and read this kind of journalism that is every day getting more and more prevalent. Why do you think people choose to bomb a crowded building or shoot up a school? Because they are sure the media will give them all the attention that they seek. Even after McVeigh is dead, the media continue to give him the attention he wanted by giving the country the intimate details of his final minutes.
A death is a death. When people crave the details of death, be it a federally mandated execution or mass murder, we become that much closer to the criminal. People argue every day that we are living in a more violent world. Is it because this is what we are being sold? It seems that this is what the media and the people who crave these kind of stories want. If it bleeds, it leads.
When I was learning to be a journalist during my undergraduate years, we were always made to remember the days of journalism past, when sensationalism ruled over important news. I think we need not look so far, because we live in a world where the media make criminals into celebrities, and the audience loves it.
Dana Siegmund
Royston
This article published in the Athens Banner-Herald on Sunday, June 17, 2001.
and its not like murder for fame is the only thing the media dose that causes negative back lash.
nancy grace alone has caused more pain & suffering to people shes never even met by calling them criminals even after they where proven innocent in a court of law.

Years
this is one of those things where it was just bound to happen again and something similar will happen in the future and has happened in the past. why? well look at how many different news outlets are showing the very incident give or take a name & a vid.shootings are always on the news which gives way to more people shooting other people and trying to make a big uproar about it even if it costs them their lives to do so. he wanted to go out with a bang? well so do i, but not like that. i'd rather just have my casket aliened with dynamite or if i ever found out i had a day to live i'd blow myself up in a way that many would see it without being hurt by it in a manor that would make it next to impossible to find out who i was. if someone managed to stop me, i would still get away with it cause of how slow the system is on charging people with crimes. i'd be dead by natural causes long before they could drag me into court for it and the media would be in a frenzy about it and thus more dead men walking will do the same because news casters love to put people in the spot light even when they shouldn't.

I'm not entirely sure here so please clarify this for me; are you trying to say that this is the fault of news corporations?

Whilst news corporations don't really do themselves any favours a lot of their time, their just doing their jobs. The fault in shootings like this rests entirely on the heads of the shooter(s) and foolish people who stand in the way of tighter restrictions of firearms.

shadowmoon522

Years
  • Age 33
  • PA
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
I'm not entirely sure here so please clarify this for me; are you trying to say that this is the fault of news corporations?

Whilst news corporations don't really do themselves any favours a lot of their time, their just doing their jobs. The fault in shootings like this rests entirely on the heads of the shooter(s) and foolish people who stand in the way of tighter restrictions of firearms.
its the fault of the ones that run the corporations who run news channels, the hordes of people who watch the news for the same reasons they watch lifetime movies & the glory seeking nuts.
94iwt.jpg

i also find it funny how the media portrayed pit bulls are being vicious hell hounds, meanwhile groomers are more likely to muzzle a chihuahua then a pit bull.

Years
its the fault of the ones that run the corporations who run news channels, the hordes of people who watch the news for the same reasons they watch lifetime movies & the glory seeking nuts.
94iwt.jpg

i also find it funny how the media portrayed pit bulls are being vicious hell hounds, meanwhile groomers are more likely to muzzle a chihuahua then a pit bull.

Nobody is telling these people to go out and kill people. The media do a lot wrong and I agree that they shouldn't turn gunmen into martyrs but let's not pretend that tragedies like this are the fault of the media.

You want less shooting, then there needs to be less guns. If it wasn't so easy to get a gun and put a bullet in someone's head, then there'd be no shootings for the media to report on in the first place.

shadowmoon522

Years
  • Age 33
  • PA
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
Nobody is telling these people to go out and kill people. The media do a lot wrong and I agree that they shouldn't turn gunmen into martyrs but let's not pretend that tragedies like this are the fault of the media.

You want less shooting, then there needs to be less guns. If it wasn't so easy to get a gun and put a bullet in someone's head, then there'd be no shootings for the media to report on in the first place.
yes, make guns illegal. in will increase the death count & become a form of population control.
deer that will start to swarm the roads cause hunters couldn't control the population
the only ones with guns will be the criminals, other criminals would just switch to knifes, baseball bats, cars, swords and just outright strangling other people.
guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Years
yes, make guns illegal. in will increase the death count & become a form of population control.
deer that will start to swarm the roads cause hunters couldn't control the population
the only ones with guns will be the criminals, other criminals would just switch to knifes, baseball bats, cars, swords and just outright strangling other people.
guns don't kill people, people kill people.

I never said make guns entirely illegal, the US just needs significantly better gun control. There's a reason a lot more shootings happen in the US than say here in Australia, or in the UK or in Canada, it's because it is easier for the average person to get a hold of a gun and put it to a terrible use.

"the only ones with guns will be criminals", most of the people going crazy and shooting places up are using 100% legal firearms. That they can get, really easily, because the US is so lax on gun control. As for those criminals who just switch to knives or strangling, I think if someone wants to kill em my chances of survival are a lot better if they're packing a steak knife than if they're carrying an AK-47 around. People would probably be more inclined to save my ass too that way.

You're right though in a way, guns don't kill people. People kill people. It's just a shitload easier with easy access to guns.

Back