• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen How did you defeat Cynthia's Garchomp?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Spoiler:

My starter Empoly took hits like a boss and gave them back in kind. With Ice Beam, mostly. It didn't have the best moveset and it basically got worse after I got Hydro Cannon, because kid me thought it was cool, but 5 seconds after ruining my moveset the terror set in.

But yeah, Ice Beam. My time in Plat was much, much worse. To the point that I block it out- I honestly couldn't tell you even if I wanted to.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
Glaceon+Ice Beam
Yep that was about all it took i mean her pokemon were super underleveled so she never really stood a chance :3

Bisharp

Whoa.. up close and personal..!
Years
I'm actually not even sure! I didn't ever find her hard to fight--
I think you should train up a dragon type. That may help?

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
Pretty sure it was an Ice Beam from my Empoleon.

The thing that made Cynthia's battle challenging for me was her team balance as a whole, and not necessarily her Pok?mon individually. Dealing with Garchomp alone isn't so bad, but when you've had to go through five other well-trained, well-balanced Pok?mon beforehand, that's when it becomes a challenge.

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2017
Dragon Dance and Ice Fang from Gyarados combined with heal spam.. But even then it was pretty damn tense because i always go into the elite four under leveled. It was hard just getting her down to the Garchomp and then the Roserade that Gyarados oneshot because as people have mentioned above her team is just so wall balanced and then she brings out a monster of a garchomp and if your team's been severely weakened by taking out her other mons then you're pretty much screwed. I got really lucky and i still barley won.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
In my first run, I believe it was a combination of my Torterra and an Empoleon I had acquired on the GTS. I really remember my more recent Grass Monotype, but I had a Abomasnow. I was still underlevelled enough (like 17 levels underlevelled) that Blizzard did not OHKO the dragon, but Ice Shard is a thing.

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
My first time through, Garchomp killed my Ice-type (I don't even remember what it was) so I had to Toxic stall it with my Crobat, using Fly + Black Sludge to recover from the initial Dragon Rush... I'm still not sure how I pulled that one off. More recently, I've had some success with a Levitate Bronzong using Hypnosis + Gyro Ball, since Garchomp would outspeed and OHKO everything else I tried.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Oct 23, 2016
I chuckled when i realized all my pokemons were above lv.65 (my empoleon was lv.71!) so the battle should not be that hard. but i was (and is) that noob at competitve so it was a bit rough

Years
Let's see so I went in with my Empoleon, Staraptor, Umbreon, Heracross, Rapidash and Azelf. The battle was pretty easy tbh, my entire team was kinda low but none had fainted and all she had left was her Grachomp. I recall struggling so hard, the Garchomp killed my whole team except for the Staraptor and he was in red. Then I managed to use Brave Bird and kill the thing while my Staraptor lived with 4HP... ez win right?

Years
My team actually wasn't that strong against her Garchomp but knowing how much of a threat it would be I taught Blizzard to my Floatzel. To my surprise, my Floatzel was actually able to out speed the Garchomp and although would it would just faint after one turn, I max revived him and hit it with another blizzard again to defeat it. I think I got quite lucky with Blizzard hitting twice in a row, that usually doesn't happen for me xD

Sirfetch’d

I just recently played through Platinum again using a mono water team and once I got to Cynthia, I knew a challenge was awaiting. I knew that the tankiest member of my team, Gastrodon, could live anything thrown at him and easily KO in return with an Ice Beam. He took the attack like a champ and did just as I expected, OHKO'd.

Years
"Giratina (Lvl 59) used Draco Meteor"
I also had a lvl 69 Torterra and a lvl 57 Staraptor. I had 3 other Pokémon, but they were fodder so I could heal those main three at the time. (Pretty good considering I beat the elite four for the first time in about 5-6 hours imo)

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen May 22, 2017
it always caused me problems. tbh. I never had the fastest of pokemon. I usually used a pokemon with quick claw, for instance my nidoking with blizzard and a quick claw would work. I also beat it with my snorlax using outrage and a quick claw, but i think that was more luck since snorlax has lower physical defence.

though it often ended up being me loosing 2 or 3 pokemon to the thing before it died if i didnt. Kill it quick before it buffs itself, if not paralyze or sleep the thing, and then try to confuse it. 2 buff ups and that thing will 1 hit everything. Use high def pokemon that can lower an enemies attack stat.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen May 22, 2017
i try not to use healing items. Im more about healing moves.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
I... I don't remember 100%. I haven't played DP for years... However, I remember her Garchomp giving me some trouble at first. I believe I used Ice Beam against it.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
I'm pretty sure I got lucky with a crit. I really wasn't prepared for her Garchomp and had nothing to hit it for super effective.

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
On my most recent Pearl file, I continuously sent out Staraptor to activate Intimidate multiple times, lowering Garchomp's attack stat, then sent out Medicham when it was safe and used Ice Punch twice. It worked out well.

Back