• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen 4th Gen Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
This is the first time that I played a japanese DS game on my US 3DS. Just to let you know, it's not modded in any way. I know that the 3DS is region locked against its own game library but I heard that a few newer DS games were region locked as well, specifically the gen 5 pokemon games. Some people had claimed that the HGSS are also included in the region lock, which is why I'm surprised that I could play it.
Furthermore, I was able to trade the legendaries from the existing save file of the SS to my US Platinum, and then transfer them to my current X game. I encountered no problem whatsoever during the entire transfer.

I've read that a 3DS playing DSi Enhanced games experiences region lock, while normal DS games do not. I don't know if the game's DSI Enhanced, as even Bulba mentions nothing of anything related to the DSi. Mind checking, if you can?

Sebastian_Sommer

Rocket grunt
Years
I've read that a 3DS playing DSi Enhanced games experiences region lock, while normal DS games do not. I don't know if the game's DSI Enhanced, as even Bulba mentions nothing of anything related to the DSi. Mind checking, if you can?
Ok, I'm guessing that the HGSS games are not DSi enhanced, since bulbapedia had stated that the gen 5 BW games were the first to make use of the DSi features.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
Ok, I'm guessing that the HGSS games are not DSi enhanced, since bulbapedia had stated that the gen 5 BW games were the first to make use of the DSi features.

There we go~! It seems the games aren't region locked after all. I guess your DS Lite's just having a bad day, then :(

Sebastian_Sommer

Rocket grunt
Years
There we go~! It seems the games aren't region locked after all. I guess your DS Lite's just having a bad day, then :(
no surprise there, it is a second hand game after all. I tried to clean the connection port of the cartridge but it still wouldn't recognize it ~_~. At least I could play it on the 3DS.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Quick question on trades

So I've not had concurrent saves on both Platinum and HeartGold for about 3 years now. I'm considering sending my team over to Diamond and/or Platinum to fight the elite four to gain levels before Red. However I'm worried that when I send them back to Johto I'll lose my awesome Lure, Level, Heavy and Cherish ball icons on four of my Pokémon. Please could someone confirm to me what happens?

Sorry if there still is a quick questions thread but I can't find it

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I'm honestly not too sure what happens! I've never really tested it out to see. ;o;

I'm just going to move this into the 4th Gen Help Thread (Fourth Generation's Quick Question Thread) which you can find at the top of the forum. (It's a sticky! :p)

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
Years
So I've not had concurrent saves on both Platinum and HeartGold for about 3 years now. I'm considering sending my team over to Diamond and/or Platinum to fight the elite four to gain levels before Red. However I'm worried that when I send them back to Johto I'll lose my awesome Lure, Level, Heavy and Cherish ball icons on four of my Pokémon. Please could someone confirm to me what happens?

Sorry if there still is a quick questions thread but I can't find it

I'm pretty sure the Cherish Ball would stay, since it's in both games... I'll go test the other balls right now.

EDIT: Tested with a Moon Ball Rapidash. Traded it from SS to Pearl. The ball showed up as a normal Pokeball on Pearl, but upon trading back to SS, the ball was back to being a Moon Ball.
SO! Don't worry, all the data is the same, just shown a bit differently between the games.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
Trades over internet

I'm wondering what is everyone doing to be able to trade with each other without the GTS being up?

I have not done trades in a very long time without it and recently I have wanted to play the games and noticed all GTS systems are shutdown besides gen 6.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I'm wondering what is everyone doing to be able to trade with each other without the GTS being up?

I have not done trades in a very long time without it and recently I have wanted to play the games and noticed all GTS systems are shutdown besides gen 6.

You're not able to trade via wi-fi in fourth generation games anymore, but you could do it by infrared. Meaning, DS-to-DS. If you have two DS systems, then you should be all set!

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
Owning two DS systems and every game yet really was a smart move on my part. I have no problem, and don't miss the GTS as I can play with myself and even with some friends who still play the older games.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
It should be pretty cheap to find a second handheld. I got one for $20, but that was several years ago. An alternative is buying an r4i save dongle. It allows one to back up one's save files. With Pokegen, the user is able to save Pokemon to the desktop or move the files into the pc storage of another Pokemon game. It costs about $15.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
You're not able to trade via wi-fi in fourth generation games anymore, but you could do it by infrared. Meaning, DS-to-DS. If you have two DS systems, then you should be all set!

Omg I'm just imagining trading long-distance through like a Pony Express of DS systems set up by PC to meet up over and over to trade.

GreyBidoof

You used a Master Ball on the GreyBidoof!
Years
I just recently bought a DS lite and am looking forward to playing some of the 4th and 5th gen games. My question is this: I want to play either HG or SS, but which one should I choose? I really don't want to have to buy both atm, just wondering if anyone has an opinion on which would be better to get.

Years
I just recently bought a DS lite and am looking forward to playing some of the 4th and 5th gen games. My question is this: I want to play either HG or SS, but which one should I choose? I really don't want to have to buy both atm, just wondering if anyone has an opinion on which would be better to get.

Well, both are essentially the same game but just with differences in what Pokemon are encountered. What you should do is read through the version exclusives list and then choose your game based on the version that has the exclusives you prefer. It's what often decides my main version as well, so yeah it's all up to your personal preference in the end.

No matter which side you choose, I hope you enjoy the game!

GreyBidoof

You used a Master Ball on the GreyBidoof!
Years
Well, both are essentially the same game but just with differences in what Pokemon are encountered. What you should do is read through the version exclusives list and then choose your game based on the version that has the exclusives you prefer. It's what often decides my main version as well, so yeah it's all up to your personal preference in the end.

No matter which side you choose, I hope you enjoy the game!

Thanks! Although I was aware that they are indeed the same game, I was just wondering if there were any other significant differences. I will take a look at the version exclusives.

inksplashed-heart

mimikyu stan
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 9, 2021
Sorry, guys, if the answer to this is very well-known, but I am so confused. Is the GTS in DPPt shut down? As in, nobody can trade over Wi-Fi anymore in Sinnoh? It's just that I've been reading some threads and people are talking about "no more Wi-Fi connection" stuff so I'm confused. Does that also mean no more Pal Pads, Friend Codes, and such?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Sorry, guys, if the answer to this is very well-known, but I am so confused. Is the GTS in DPPt shut down? As in, nobody can trade over Wi-Fi anymore in Sinnoh? It's just that I've been reading some threads and people are talking about "no more Wi-Fi connection" stuff so I'm confused. Does that also mean no more Pal Pads, Friend Codes, and such?

Yup, you're correct! You're still able to trade with infrared, though, as I've said in one of my previous posts here.

Years
Question, I have 60 Pokemon in Emerald I want to transfer, but apparently there is a 6-per-day limit. Will I be able to transfer more if I change time or day on my DS Lite under settings? I really dont feel like waiting 10 days before being able to transfer all 60 of them.

(yeah tehnically I could test this myself, but I dont want to go around messing with my settings and my game files so I'd rather want to hear the theory first)

EDIT: I am transferring from Emerald to Platinum, via Pal Pad.

Never mind, figured it out.

http://pkmn.net/?action=content&page=viewpage&id=8521&offset=1

^for those who wondered the same thing

Last edited:
Years
So in HGSS, how likely is it that trainers on the Pokégear will call you to offer certain items? I thought you could just call them at certain times (like Picnicker Gina on Sundays) and get the item from them that day, but that turned out to not be the case. Do they just call and have an item whenever they feel like it at a certain time chosen by the game? Because I was hoping to get a Leaf Stone should I use one of my Grass-types...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back