• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Script Help Thread (DO NOT REQUEST SCRIPTS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2013
Your flags and vars are completely wrong. Just look over your script. I was very, very blatant and clear in my guide.

Ok so i've changed the var num. to 4050 after reading that 4000-40FF should be safe.
I've removed the script for givoanni to give a masterball, i've removed him completely cause in my game i don't need him.

And so i've used 250 as a flag and changes my person id to 0250.

I will test this now, this should work right? As a movement script.

Edit: Doesn't work :( Is the script changes i've made right?

Last edited:

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Ok so i've changed the var num. to 4050 after reading that 4000-40FF should be safe.
I've removed the script for givoanni to give a masterball, i've removed him completely cause in my game i don't need him.

And so i've used 250 as a flag and changes my person id to 0250.

I will test this now, this should work right? As a movement script.

Edit: Doesn't work :( Is the script changes i've made right?

Judging by the amount of repeated movements in your script, the person you are trying to move is offscreen. That can cause a lot of issues. A character can really only be 1-2 tiles offscreen. Try moving that NPC around on the map. It might make it work.

Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2021
Why not give it a try? It it took longer to write out this question instead of testing it yourself.XD

Yeah, you're right. I tested this but it did not work. I'm trying to have an event start right at the beginning of the game after the Professor speech and need to have the player be hidden immediately. I tested it on the map script in your room on Pallet Town that has the 'spriteface' command but it won't work.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Yeah, you're right. I tested this but it did not work. I'm trying to have an event start right at the beginning of the game after the Professor speech and need to have the player be hidden immediately. I tested it on the map script in your room on Pallet Town that has the 'spriteface' command but it won't work.

If you can't get those to work, how about trying the "hidesprite" command? Just a suggestion ;)

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
For stopping the truck animation that occurs during the beginning of the game, use ZodiacDaGreat's Advance IntroEd. After doing that, you can change the starting map to the player's room rather than the town.
I've got that working, thanks. I still need to figure out how to get a script to run as soon as the game starts though. I want your mom to come into your room and wake you up as the intro... but I can't get the script to run. I'm using it as a map script and have tried every script type. With a lot of them the game won't start at all. It just ends in a black screen with the player's silhouette in the middle.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
I've got that working, thanks. I still need to figure out how to get a script to run as soon as the game starts though. I want your mom to come into your room and wake you up as the intro... but I can't get the script to run. I'm using it as a map script and have tried every script type. With a lot of them the game won't start at all. It just ends in a black screen with the player's silhouette in the middle.

If you try to execute a level script immediately after the game starts, you're going to have a bad time. There may be a workaround, but not that I know of.

I actually did this at the beginning of my game because JPAN's ow switch only loads on warp. So, I had the player start out covered in black tiles, changed the sprite, warped, and it worked perfectly.

You could have your player start out in a black room with no music, then do a warpmuted to the player's room. The level script should work fine after that.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
If you try to execute a level script immediately after the game starts, you're going to have a bad time. There may be a workaround, but not that I know of.

You could have your player start out in a black room with no music, then do a warpmuted to the player's room. The level script should work fine after that.

Actually, that is what I did.XD

Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2021
I actually did this at the beginning of my game because JPAN's ow switch only loads on warp. So, I had the player start out covered in black tiles, changed the sprite, warped, and it worked perfectly.

So, I made a map full of black tiles but I have encountered a problem. I remember reading a fix to this somewhere but can't find it. When play the game on VBA, all the tiles have been changed to blue tiles with wavy lines. How do I fix this?

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
So, I can't find any scripting tutorials that cover the script options in Advance map. Those being Unknown, Var Number, Var Value, and Unknown... right above where you put in the script offset. I found one tutorial that said to just put 3 in for both unknowns but said he didn't know why. I'd like to actually understand what these are for real, and not understanding them may explain why I can't get any non-person scripts to work. Anyone know?

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
So, I made a map full of black tiles but I have encountered a problem. I remember reading a fix to this somewhere but can't find it. When play the game on VBA, all the tiles have been changed to blue tiles with wavy lines. How do I fix this?

That's because you're not actually using black tiles. They appear black in Advance Map but that's only because they're using the transparent colour of a palette which just happens to be black. You're going to have to create another tile which uses a non-transparent black palette slot to make those tiles.

So, I can't find any scripting tutorials that cover the script options in Advance map. Those being Unknown, Var Number, Var Value, and Unknown... right above where you put in the script offset. I found one tutorial that said to just put 3 in for both unknowns but said he didn't know why. I'd like to actually understand what these are for real, and not understanding them may explain why I can't get any non-person scripts to work. Anyone know?

If you want to know why people put 03/ 0300 (0300 is for earlier versions of Advance Map) in the first Unknown box, karatekid552 made a nice post explaining why this is the case.

The Var Number and Var Value boxes work kinda like flags, as they check if a variable has been set to a specific value. If it has been set to that value then the script will activate, if it is set to something else then the player will just pass over the tile like the script isn't there. For example let's say my Var Number was set to 4050 and my Var Value was 3 in A-Map, if I was in-game and the variable 0x4050 was set to 0x0 then I would not activate the script. However, if I changed variable 0x4050's value to 0x3 through an earlier script or event then the tile script will activate when I step on it. This can be useful as rather than checking flags inside the script, everything can be done automatically on the outside if you change your variable values correctly through out your hack.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
If you want to know why people put 03/ 0300 (0300 is for earlier versions of Advance Map) in the first Unknown box, karatekid552 made a nice post explaining why this is the case.

The Var Number and Var Value boxes work kinda like flags, as they check if a variable has been set to a specific value. If it has been set to that value then the script will activate, if it is set to something else then the player will just pass over the tile like the script isn't there. For example let's say my Var Number was set to 4050 and my Var Value was 3 in A-Map, if I was in-game and the variable 0x4050 was set to 0x0 then I would not activate the script. However, if I changed variable 0x4050's value to 0x3 through an earlier script or event then the tile script will activate when I step on it. This can be useful as rather than checking flags inside the script, everything can be done automatically on the outside if you change your variable values correctly through out your hack.
Thanks, that will actually probably be useful, lol. Unfortunately, I'm having quite a bit of other trouble.

I just can't get anything to work other than basic talk scripts. (I've got a year of college C++ and assembly under my belt, you'd think I'd be able to handle this...) I've been following this tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he_sRQPJoFM and I do exactly what he does, and it either does nothing, or freezes the game when I step over it. I think the main problem I'm having with most of my scripts is that I'm using Ruby and all tutorials ever made are for Fire Red... but I have absolutely no clue what the differences are.

Here's the most basic move script I can possibly write... why isn't it working?
Code:
#clean
#dynamic 0x8000C4

#org @main
applymovement 2 @move1
waitmovement 2
end

#org @move1
#raw 0x08
I've noticed that sprite 1 doesn't appear in game, so I changed it to sprite 2. Sprite 1 is still gone, and sprite 2 is there, but it just freezes when I step on the tile either way. I've also tried writing applymovement 0x2 and 0x02 instead of just 2, but it there doesn't seem to be a difference.

Last edited:

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
First... why clean?

Because [supporter]QuilavaKing[/supporter] is having trouble with his script, he doesn't want to keep wasting bytes with trashy scripts. #Clean will overwrite the newly compiled script to the last used #dynamic offset.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
It still freezes the game like before. I even tried it on a whole new map with a different person number.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
It still freezes the game like before. I even tried it on a whole new map with a different person number.

As Ash493 stated, you forgot to end the movement raws with 0xFE.
Code:
#clean
#dynamic 0x8000C4

#org @main
applymovement 2 @move1
waitmovement 2
end

#org @move1
#raw 0x08
[COLOR="Red"]#raw 0xFE[/COLOR]

However, you stated that even with that, the script still freezes.
If that is true, then I suggest you check your script tile's values in Advance Map.

Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back