Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 5 Days Ago (11:17 PM).
Duckface
Eating Souls Everyday

Nature: Brave
Just by experimenting. I learnt how the fan cools down the CPU, by taking apart my laptop bit by bit, and using a book so I know what things are, and what they do. Although I started off with software I still love hardware more then it.
Old 5 Days Ago (02:56 AM).
Tsutarja

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by Morkula:
Not really interested in Windows tablets...might as well just use a laptop.
Exploring mobile-specific apps is a major part of why I'd like a tablet in the first place, and the Windows app store is severely lacking compared to the Google and Apple app stores.
That makes sense. I honestly didn't think about the lack of apps from the Windows store when I made that post. So yeah, Android tablet for sure if you ever want to get one.

Also, this DCC is now dedicated to my birthday.
Old 5 Days Ago (03:46 AM). Edited 5 Days Ago by Starry Windy.
Starry Windy
Back to work!
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Starry Windy
Even though it's not as complete as Android's Google Play, I think Windows Store is quite decent and special for being also available to the Windows 8 in PC, because thanks to it, I'm able to use some software and even playing some of the mobile games inside of my laptop.

However, Android will still be my choice if it comes to mobile phone, I'm not sure of tablets yet, though.

And happy birthday, Zach

PC | SPC | PC Battle Server | Gold | Pixie World | My Pairs | PC Family | My PC Blog
Old 4 Days Ago (05:43 AM).
Altius
Flygon Fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Docile
I'm always told that Android tablets lack "tablet" apps. As the owner of an iPad Air, I know iPads have plenty of tablet-optimised apps and Android tabs used to lack them, but is it still the same today? I'm thinking of switching to an Android tablet because iOS just doesn't seem "right" for a tablet.

Anyway, happy birthday Zach. I know I've already wished you in Celebrations, but have a blast.
Old 4 Days Ago (05:54 AM).
Tsutarja

Unlike iOS apps (separated between iPhone/iPod Touch and iPad), Android apps are all-in-one and can determine how it looks based on whether you use a tablet or a phone. Some apps are separate between tablet and phone (like DirecTV's apps for Android), but for the most part, the apps for Android optimize themselves fairly well for tablets.
Old 4 Days Ago (10:04 AM).
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Me, I can live pretty fine with even a Windows RT tablet, since I tend to use tablets and phones as more like "Internet browser in hardware form" and "actual phone".

I want an x86 Windows 10 tablet, though. Maybe someone will make a good one in the future that's 10.6" and doesn't have an excessively beefy CPU.
Old 4 Days Ago (05:53 PM).
Senusret
Snowpoint City
Community Supporter

Location: The Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill Medical Research Triangle
Nature: Impish
Send a message via Skype™ to Senusret
This sure is a lot of fun. Thought I'd share it here in case you guys'd want to play Progressive and name your price on the thing... heh.

Anyway, this is the PC I'm looking to build for myself. The 750 will give my PC a needed boost for MC on 1080p, and plus will make things smooth enough with games like AoEIIHD and RCT2 on that large display, hopefully. I'm getting the i3-4370 for its clock rate and am debating turning one core off to save power as well – my friend Alex says the RAM is overkill though, as much as Photoshop would love it. I think for the price, why not? It's all in all around $900 including peripherals and a GPU, all from Amazon with Prime... it's good, I think. Maybe others might not think so, who knows.

TwatterBeautifyAMALTT
Old 3 Days Ago (11:13 PM).
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Senusret:
Anyway, this is the PC I'm looking to build for myself. The 750 will give my PC a needed boost for MC on 1080p, and plus will make things smooth enough with games like AoEIIHD and RCT2 on that large display, hopefully. I'm getting the i3-4370 for its clock rate and am debating turning one core off to save power as well – my friend Alex says the RAM is overkill though, as much as Photoshop would love it. I think for the price, why not? It's all in all around $900 including peripherals and a GPU, all from Amazon with Prime... it's good, I think. Maybe others might not think so, who knows.
It does look really nice, but I agree with Alex on the amount of installed system memory being straight-up overkill. I think you can use the money saved to buy an internal HDD in addition to the SSD, or upsize it. I don't recommend going below 256 GB-tier SSDs if it's going to be the only internal drive.
Old 3 Days Ago (08:48 PM).
Tsutarja

As the topic title says... it's not my birthday anymore lmao

I find myself not using half of the devices I own sometimes, and it often makes me wonder why I even own them.
Old 3 Days Ago (08:49 PM).
Tsutarja

I find myself not using half of the devices I own sometimes, and it often makes me wonder why I even own them.
Old 3 Days Ago (08:56 PM).
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Tsutarja:

Hehe. Maybe we're all secretly dragons hoarding gadgets

I find a use for almost everything I use, though.
Old 3 Days Ago (08:59 PM).
Tsutarja

Quote originally posted by Twiggy:
I find a use for almost everything I use, though.
I think last week was the first time I managed to use all of my devices in some way, shape, or form. So maybe I hope to keep that up?
Old 3 Days Ago (09:17 PM).
Senusret
Snowpoint City
Community Supporter

I think I’m going to hold off and not do my entire build in one fell swoop... so as to hasten things along. I’ve really shaved off a lot from a financial standpoint, and it is still looking great. I’m happy.

As for “devices” of mine, could I say… I don’t have any? All I’ve got is this netbook and two motherboards I use as guinea pigs with some old IDE HDDs and spare 2½” drives. I fix others’ computers with those PCs.

TwatterBeautifyAMALTT
Old 2 Days Ago (12:36 PM).
Pendraflare
I'm definitely in my zone.
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Pendraflare
There are a handful of devices that I have, and if I still knew where my old Dell laptop was I would see how well that holds up. Even though I got that in late 2010 and it's probably long past done by now, haha. I don't buy devices for nothing.
Old 2 Days Ago (01:14 PM).
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Just a few more months until my laptop reaches its first birthday without incident. Hopefully I don't jinx it with that statement. (I have been much more careful with it. )
Old 2 Days Ago (05:31 PM).
Alfieri
Yusuke Urameshi Gif Guy
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Alfieri
Hey guys, just a really quick Q&A. Does having wi-fi and mobile data on simultaneously cause problems for phones?
Old 2 Days Ago (05:58 PM).
Tsutarja

Quote originally posted by Alfieri:
Hey guys, just a really quick Q&A. Does having wi-fi and mobile data on simultaneously cause problems for phones?
Usually wifi overrides data when in use on a mobile phone, if that answers your question. I could be wrong, but I know for a fact that it does so on iPhones.
Old 2 Days Ago (06:18 PM).
Buoysel
The Evolution Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by Alfieri:
No, but turning off WiFi when you are not connected to a network will help you save battery. Your phone will complain about GPS accuracy, but it's safe to ignore this. I personally don't turn off WiFi ever. I don't have a problem with battery life, and if the batter does it low, there's always a charger around me.
#133 Eevee
Supporter Collab January 2015
Jack of all trades, master of none.
BFF & Pair Axeliira

Old 2 Days Ago (10:00 PM).
Senusret
Snowpoint City
Community Supporter

This is what I’ve got going for a build sheet now. Shaved $60 off and still have some amazing parts – ASUS card which are my fave for design, Kingston Fury Black RAM modules, nice Intel CPU, 850 EVO SSD, 80+ Bronze PSU, Micro ATX forme factor, and a 21.5” 1080p display with decent peripherals… $840. I think that’s pretty good.

I’ve always had a bit of disdain for ATX builds too, lol. They’re just too big IMO. Waste of space with Micro ATX and Mini ITX.

TwatterBeautifyAMALTT
Old 1 Day Ago (10:31 PM).
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Buoysel:
No, but turning off WiFi when you are not connected to a network will help you save battery. Your phone will complain about GPS accuracy, but it's safe to ignore this. I personally don't turn off WiFi ever. I don't have a problem with battery life, and if the batter does it low, there's always a charger around me.
I should note that Windows Phones think different in this regard and do not suggest leaving turning Wi-Fi off unless you really need it to - in fact, it will re-enable it in a few hours by default.

Quote originally posted by Senusret:
This is what I’ve got going for a build sheet now. Shaved $60 off and still have some amazing parts – ASUS card which are my fave for design, Kingston Fury Black RAM modules, nice Intel CPU, 850 EVO SSD, 80+ Bronze PSU, Micro ATX forme factor, and a 21.5” 1080p display with decent peripherals… $840. I think that’s pretty good.

I’ve always had a bit of disdain for ATX builds too, lol. They’re just too big IMO. Waste of space with Micro ATX and Mini ITX.
Micro-ATX builds sound like a nice compromise between ATX and Mini-ITX builds since they have enough room for most components that are worth any grain of salt.
Old 1 Day Ago (03:53 PM). Edited 1 Day Ago by Mittens95.
Mittens95

I need some help. I just got a 10 year old clunker of a PC with only 512 gb of RAM, a 160 gb HDD and a 2.2 ghz AMD single core processor, along with a flat screen monitor, a keyboard and a mouse - all for free. I was considering on upgrading the RAM to at least 2 gb and upgrading it to Windows 8.1, then reselling it on Craigslist for around 50 - 70 dollars, though it's risky since I might have trouble selling it, then I'll waste ~15 dollars. Should I try to sell it as it is, then donate it if nobody wants it? Or should I upgrade it then sell it for a higher price?
Old 1 Day Ago (04:57 PM).
Senusret
Snowpoint City
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Mittens95:
I need some help. I just got a 10 year old clunker of a PC with only 512 gb of RAM, a 160 gb HDD and a 2.2 ghz AMD single core processor, along with a flat screen monitor, a keyboard and a mouse - all for free. I was considering on upgrading the RAM to at least 2 gb and upgrading it to Windows 8.1, then reselling it on Craigslist for around 50 - 70 dollars, though it's risky since I might have trouble selling it, then I'll waste ~15 dollars. Should I try to sell it as it is, then donate it if nobody wants it? Or should I upgrade it then sell it for a higher price?
If you know what you’re doing you can turn quite the profit off of something like that with the right wording and such. Or we could help you do the technicals, provided you can use a certain program and screenshot it a couple times :b

For us to help, you need an application called CPU-Z. If your OS is 64-bit be sure to get the x64 version, as well. Once you’ve downloaded it, execute it, screenshot each tab in the program, and upload the images and link them here. The other thing we need is the PC’s OEM model number usually found on the labelling for the PC, so as to figure out things like RAM limitations and other config stuff.

I dunno about the others but I personally would be happy to quote you on a decent price for if you end up selling it. I can also give you Amazon links to the parts I or others recommend as well. :)

TwatterBeautifyAMALTT
Old 17 Hours Ago (04:45 AM).
Tsutarja

Using a mouse with a left hand, that'll take time to get used to

Of course, I am left-handed in real life, but I was taught to use a mouse with my right hand.
Old 4 Hours Ago (05:56 PM).
Senusret
Snowpoint City
Community Supporter

This laptop looks pretty good for me, though it’s not perfect. Guys, anything I should look for as far as laptop features go? I’m normally a desktop kind of guy.

An ASUS one will make a great replacement for my mother’s PC that I broke too. $250 and I can still say “screw AMD.”

Also Zach i’m creating a dcc monopoly and would be happy to be op in next thred thx plz >;D ~_~

TwatterBeautifyAMALTT
Old 2 Hours Ago (08:08 PM).
Morkula
Play the Game

The tablet hunt continues. Thinking about picking up this Asus Memo Pad 7 this week since it's on sale for $149. Supposedly it's basically an upgraded Nexus 7 based on specs and design. Not a fan of the crap Asus puts on top of Android or the bloatware they load it up with though.

I'd probably rather get an iPad again, but I just can't justify spending double the price (cheapest is $299) for what's basically going to become a companion device to my PC and Macbook. :/ and Hearthstone machine lololol

paired with cherrim ~ big brother of patchisou yutohru
4p games ~ 4p forums ~ backloggery ~ twitter
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links