• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pokémon Obsidian Version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
Just played your new demo. So far, the progress you've made was outstanding. The battle animations gave the battles some life to them. There are a few things I dislike about the project, though:

1) Could you possibly find different music for the wild and trainer battle themes? The midis just sound so awful and I don't feel as immersed with the battles as I want to be because of it.

2) The battle against Wally, the Psychic Gym Leader, has a nasty difficulty spike thanks to his Hypno. That mon has a lot of bulk, at least compared to the other pokemon available at that point in the game, and the only catchable pokemon with relatively good special defense are Mareep, Munchlax (rare as heck), and Drowzee (its base evo). What I'm saying is that there are not many options to resist its attacks, and at level 22, it's unusually fast and hits your team hard.
I don't know the average level of the team you tested with against him, but mine was about 15, and while his other three pokemon didn't give me too much trouble, the Hypno tore it to pieces. On my second attempt, I grinded to reach about level 17, I was able to sweep the bulk of his team, but then his Hypno nearly destroyed my team a second time, but thanks to a lucky hit with my Ekans, it fainted and I won.
I understand if you are trying to make the game a little harder, but I think Hypno needs a nerf, maybe make it level 19 or 20 instead of 22, and lower the IVs to 16 if they are above it already. Also, I recommend replacing Mega Punch with something else. Even though Hypno does not have a good attack stat, 80 base power hurts like a ***** on pokemon ranged 16-20.

3) Could you possibly add a shortcut to Route 2A so that the player won't have to go through Nidopoint Woods again? It's a bit annoying to go through such a long passageway, fighting pokemon that give you no benifits in terms of experience just to get to the next part of the game.

4) On Route 2A, after you beat Snorlax, the music stops playing, but then plays after you finish a wild encounter.

5) In the battle against the hiker, just before you reach Oakgrove City, you spelled "defense" wrong.

Overall, nice work. My major complaints about this game so far only come from the music and the battle against Hypno. I can't wait to see more.

Atomic Reactor

Thanks for the feedback man. I can't believe i spelled defense wrong... I'll fix that XD

The music is a bit buggy at time... so there's not much I can do about that :/
As for music, I'll see what i can do for different music. What did you have in mind?

And i will lower Hypno to lvl 20 :)

(i think i had 2 pokemon at 20ish when i played, so it wasn't to difficult, plus I had a Mightyena, and just beat him with bite haha)

Oh and btw, the gym leaders name is Marty XD

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
The music is a bit buggy at time... so there's not much I can do about that :/
As for music, I'll see what i can do for different music. What did you have in mind?
For the music bugs, check the map properties for each of the maps in your game, and make sure the box that specifies the music for that map has something. It's cumbersome, but it typically avoids problems.
To replace your current themes, I'm not particularly good at giving suggestions. The main problem I have with it comes from the fact that it's a pretty lackluster midi remix of the original track, so maybe you could use the actual HGSS soundtrack... Unless you want to keep the filesize of your game low. In that case, the best advice I could give is to browse vgmusic.com, find some random tracks from a game that would be fitting for battle music, and take it. :P

And i will lower Hypno to lvl 20 :)

(i think i had 2 pokemon at 20ish when i played, so it wasn't to difficult, plus I had a Mightyena, and just beat him with bite haha)
I'm pretty selective when it comes to catching pokemon (I think poochyena and its evo are utter garbage), so I'm always bound to have a small amount of pokemon caught. xD
Something you should do is to test your gym leader battles with several different possibilities as far as your team is concerned. Sure, the battle may be easy with a Mightyena, but when if the player doesn't have one? These are things to think about when designing.

Oh and btw, the gym leaders name is Marty XD
... Goes to show how much I pay attention. :P

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
I didn't have too much of a hassle beating Hypno on my playthrough.
Poisonpowder with my Butterfree "Freeman" , and then grinding his HP with "Marcus", my Marowak. It was a breeze! :P

But I can see how it would be difficult. I think you only should lower him to 21, but as Ratty said, remove Mega Punch.

Atomic Reactor

I just realized guys, that if you continue from a previous demo, the final events in this one will be messed up. I used the "finish demo" switch from the old game on this one. so if you're continuing from a previous demo, don't play anymore! I will upload a new fixed version tonight!

EDIT: Alright fixed a few bugs, updated 2 animations, and weakened marty's hypno :)

https://rapidshare.com/files/2367205980/Pokemon_Obsidian.exe

aquakip

Art Director, Pokemon Ethereal Gates
Years
Well I finally got to downloading it! :D I'm so ready to play this. I'm just going to comment on anything I find that is either odd/buggy, even if it was mentioned before.

---
I agree with you completely about the Prof. Oak intro. It's very odd. You don't have to make it Prof. Oak, though. You could make it someone completely different. A character like Phil maybe? You don't necessarily know him, and he doesn't know you until you first meet with your father. So maybe this is a sort of introduction for him. He could maybe explain your journey a bit, what you're going to be doing...? Idk.

The flow between the intro music and the town music (in your bedroom) is very annoying. How they both fade in and fade out at the same time.

Although...I like the moment when your father explains the journey. Good luck with figuring that out. xD

I really would consider making a short cavern going into the biome. It just seems so awkward.

I'm not very fond of the the trainer sprites. The trainer sprites are just edits of official ones, which really bothers me, especially for the main characters of the game. They should have original sprites because they are original characters. They're new and exclusive to this game. Make sense?

I decided to lose my first battle (against the dad) just to test out some bugs, and it's very odd when you lose. You go back to your mom, but then later, you have to go back and say bye to her again, even though you just saw her when you lost...? Maybe the professor could heal your Pokemon instead(that time)

I think the Battle GUI looks really odd, with that little pocket in the text box. It doesn't flow well.

And if I'm not mistaken, at night (on Route 1A and 2A) there are Weedle and Nidoran? That seems a bit scary for Kokori users, because Grass is weak against poison. I'd get rid of Weedle and Nidoran and find something else for that route. The first route is always supposed to be easy and simple, but it wouldn't be for them, because they'd have to fend off Poison types instead of simple normal types.

I think the music in the forest is too quiet. Turn up the volume. ;D

The forest also gets a bit monotonous. Especially if you want to explore every nook n' cranny like I did...

I had a level 20 Burngoa before I even left the forest. And I wasn't trying to train, either!

Sometimes, the opposing pokemon will have attacks that come from behind. Which I find strange. It must be just a simple error. :)

I'd turn up the music in the cave too. And give it a fog to make it seem darker. I think that would help with the Marowak event, because you wouldn't see it coming until it was right there behind you.

Then the "battle with the Marowak revealed an entrance to a lower level." is really silly sounding. Maybe..."Through all of that ruckus, it seems a hole into another level of the cave opened up." Something different. The Marowak thing was just silly. xD

I might explain somewhere toward the beginning that the Pokemon CAN ACTUALLY die, rather than letting the player find out by themselves. Some people might not read the thread and don't know that their Pokemon can die.

---

I LOVE the attack animations! They're so amazingly awesome!!!!

I like how the fog gets darker and darker the deeper you go into the forest. That's a neat idea. :3

Black people! FINALLY!

I like that the battles are a tougher than normal. Often times, I find myself training a bunch because the battles are harder than I expected them to be! Then with the factor that my Pokemon might die...it just makes for a challenging game.

---

(I took a break. I'll update with more when I continue the game.)

Atomic Reactor

Well first off, thank you for the awesome feedback! And now I will try to address every thing you said haha!

The flow between the intro music and the town music (in your bedroom) is very annoying. How they both fade in and fade out at the same time.

Yeah, i'll change that :)

I really would consider making a short cavern going into the biome. It just seems so awkward.
Yeah, I was actually going to one day... but didn't have side exits.. so i was to lazy to make them. But I promise i will for the third demo!

I'm not very fond of the the trainer sprites. The trainer sprites are just edits of official ones, which really bothers me, especially for the main characters of the game. They should have original sprites because they are original characters. They're new and exclusive to this game. Make sense?
Well I had definitly considered making original sprites for everyone... I also don't really have time to always do that. It's a lot easier and more efficient if I can just edit a sprite to get the point across ya know? I mean it's just a fan game, so I don't see why it matters to much. I'll see what I can do though.

I think the Battle GUI looks really odd, with that little pocket in the text box. It doesn't flow well.

Not really sure what you mean by this..

I think the music in the forest is too quiet. Turn up the volume. ;D

Haha will do!

The forest also gets a bit monotonous. Especially if you want to explore every nook n' cranny like I did...

Yes, I know it's large. But I won't be changing it lol. Get repels, and run through the whole thing, it'll make it a lot more bearable.

Sometimes, the opposing pokemon will have attacks that come from behind. Which I find strange. It must be just a simple error.
I know, i hate this so much.... ugh. But i have no idea how to fix it, it has something to do with how the animations are displayed. If there's a way KitsuneKouta can fix it, I'll def talk to him about it.

I'd turn up the music in the cave too. And give it a fog to make it seem darker. I think that would help with the Marowak event, because you wouldn't see it coming until it was right there behind you.
Since it wasn't a very big cave, I didn't see a point in adding a fog (I plan on using fogs in later caves, and didn't wanna abuse the fogs.) But it's a good idea. I'll see what I can come up with.

Then the "battle with the Marowak revealed an entrance to a lower level." is really silly sounding. Maybe..."Through all of that ruckus, it seems a hole into another level of the cave opened up." Something different. The Marowak thing was just silly. xD
Yeah... there's some dialogue I need to fix and stuff XD

I might explain somewhere toward the beginning that the Pokemon CAN ACTUALLY die, rather than letting the player find out by themselves. Some people might not read the thread and don't know that their Pokemon can die.

Yeah! I totally... had that idea... just never did anything about it XD I'll make sure to do that :)

I LOVE the attack animations! They're so amazingly awesome!!!!

I like how the fog gets darker and darker the deeper you go into the forest. That's a neat idea. :3

Black people! FINALLY!

I like that the battles are a tougher than normal. Often times, I find myself training a bunch because the battles are harder than I expected them to be! Then with the factor that my Pokemon might die...it just makes for a challenging game.

Thanks, I am really proud of all the attack animations! I'm glad someone liked them haha.

Yeah... that fog getting darker and darker isn't intentional... I'm not sure why it does that! haha

Yup, african americans! haha

And thanks, I'm glad it's a challenge :)

Again thanks for all the feedback, the things I didn't reply to... i just didn't see a need for a reply to them. ( btw, about the weedle and nidoran, I don't think them being that low of a level will be a huge deal to your pokemon, cause they'll have really basic attacks, so I'm not changing it, sorry :X)

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
There is a reason why in the official games, you mainly start out against weak normal type pokemon, or if they aren't normal type, they do not use any type of move that could give them a tremendous advantage over the starters. The purpose is to welcome the player to the game, and not make them feel regret for choosing a certain starter. With that system, if the player loses to these introductory pokemon, it would be their fault, but with something like aquakip just pointed out, you risk players getting the notion that the odds are not in their favor, and discourage them from playing your game. I suggest you keep stuff like nidoran and weedle away from your early routes at any time, (they can still thrive in Nidopoint Woods). Both of them have poison point, too, and at such an early period in the game, the player will not have access to many non-contact moves, so I suggest you take his advice.

Aside from that, I personally don't mind the edited sprites. As long as the edits fit with the style and are well-made, it doesn't matter to me, but that's just me.

Atomic Reactor

I'll see if I can find some replacements then, because you both bring up a good point. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal since you can just walk to the PC, like... it's not to dangerous lol. I will change it though.

And thanks ratty, I think most of the edits looks alright, and that's all I need them to look like since it's just a fan game.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
EDIT: Here's the 4th episode of the walkthroughs!
http://youtu.be/bPPsWNGsApU

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
I never got the time to play the demo so I've been watching the videos. Had a fun time watching them. Found you entertaining. Sounds like you have a cold. Might want to look into that lol.

aquakip

Art Director, Pokemon Ethereal Gates
Years
Hey hey hey! I liked that the forest was long. It was only an observation! Keep in mind, it's not necessarily critique. I'm commenting on things I find in the game, whether they're good, bad, or something I'm just noticing. :D

And as for the trainer sprites, I understand completely. I feel the same way about some aspects with Imperial Sky. It's only a fan-game. I think it was just the fact that I pay attention to the graphics mostly in games and do the graphics for Imperial Sky, and it just made me think that.

Anyway...

Second part to my crit! (if you wanna call it that...)

---

Are the gyms going to be any different, puzzle wise? Or are they all going to be simple mazes (not even)? Just asking, because you said earlier in the game that they were challenging puzzles...

And so we return to Nidopoint Woods...

And after...the impenetrable Snorlax. This dude's defense and attack are crazy, and it's so damn difficult to catch! D: Took me 19 Pokeballs to catch it. :/

Well, I lost to Snorlax (had to travel through Nidopoint Woods again) and found that upon my return, the event happened again, except this time, there was no snorlax overworld. So Rui, Rai, somethin' kicks empty air. (Mighty impressive feat, there xD)

There's no music to Route 2B.

Cedarcreek Forest is the...the what...? I KNOW he did not just say BIGGEST FOREST IN THE WORLD! This only means it has to be bigger than Nidopoint Woods. And this only means I'm going to go insane in there. xD Can't wait to see the map!

I really enjoy the missions. They were all very nice add-ons to the game, and the idea was very nice. I wonder what other missions there could be in the future... :3

The little plot segment with the Evil Teams seemed oddly done. I understood what was going on, but I feel it could be worded a bit differently to show a more sinister undertone. Right now, they're acting a tad immature and what they say seems to be too informal, rather than formal and straight to the point like an organization such as themselves should be, especially since these are the bosses.

Overall, the demo was very enjoyable and...well...the first demo of any fan game I have actually enjoyed. I'm looking forward to the next release!

Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2012
i had no trobule i fought with my dat toad lv 23 bite that hypno had no chance.

Atomic Reactor

1) yes, there will be puzzles, i just did not have any ideas for these 2 lol. But I'm going to try real hard to make puzzles lol.

2)should I lower it's level? (i like to think of it as a boss fight haha) And I'll see if i can fix it.

3) There is music on 2B, i checked before i reuploadedthe demo. not sure why it did't play :/ Like i said in a video or 2, the music can be glitchy sometimes :(

4)I'm really excited for the forest haha. It's going to have caves and ruins. And there's going to be several outposts to buy items and heal. Again, very excited to do this :)

5) I thought the conversation was very formal :/ What do you suggest I do different?

Thanks for the feedback :)

Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2012
defeat 1 gym went back to the house to collect the bulbasaur, the door is locked to the house.

Rayziken 2

Beginning ROM Hacker
Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2016
I clicked the front page one, but if I remember correctly (It was yesterday), I think that it was a .rar file, which don't work on my computer.

Years
I clicked the front page one, but if I remember correctly (It was yesterday), I think that it was a .rar file, which don't work on my computer.

You need a program like WinRAR or 7-zip to open .rar

Anyway, I REALLY enjoy this game. I can't wait to play the next demo, or beta, or whatever you want to call it I'll play it. :)

Rayziken 2

Beginning ROM Hacker
Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2016
I have Winrar, but my strange computer doesn't let it work for some reason. It closes halfway through converting the file's type. I haven't tried 7-zip, but I will download it now and try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back