• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other FULL] Vale Institute of Magic (M) (OOC/SU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Songbird

Tonight, the marigolds bloom for her.
Years
  • Seen Mar 19, 2024
I have the feeling that Indigo will have no control whatsoever.

Colony

Poe and Palahniuk's Prodige
Years
Ziposaki, you're Accepted.

Dualik, you need to adjust you're spells a bit. Friction Burn is fine, but Phoenix Rise and Indigo Flame both are questionable. Indigo Flame doesn't have a clear limit to it, even though you mention it drains very quickly you don't explain what the repercussions are. As a result it leaves the spell unintentionally easy to abuse. Phoenix Rise on the other hand is contradictory in that it is "volatile," yet it's also "controlled," which is quite simply not possible. To be specific, the way you initially describe the spell is unwieldy and likely to backfire, but later it is described as easy to control and that just doesn't add up. Additionally, it would seem that this spell is actually two spells if you include Phoenix Talon, since Rise is used to get airborne while Talon is the offensive attack. Fix these two (technically 3) spells and you'll be ready.

JNathan, you're Accepted. A little note, though, about your Metal Manipulation and how to become better at it. Generally speaking, when creating objects the user has to have prior knowledge of said object. In other words it would be impossible to create something complex like a gun or phone without knowing the basics of how they work. Not to worry, since one of the teachers specializes in that kind of magic.

ChaosCrystal

黒竜 影
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 16, 2014
This actually looks really interesting, id like to reserve a spot if possible

This could get me to stop being just a lurker enjoying the RP stories and actually participate in one =P.

I should have the SU up by tomorrow hopefully.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

siiadams

Got 3DS back...1822-1106-0866
Years
EDIT: Alright, I think this'll do it. If there's anything wrong with it, let me know.

Name: Jason Barrett
Element: Metal

Spells
Star Throw: Jason creates a 1-foot-diameter ninja star and throws it at his target, disappearing on contact. As he learns to control this more, it will do more damage while taking less MP to conjure up.

Arsenal: Jason uses his knowledge of medieval weaponry to create weapons. He creates a sturdy shield that grows out of his left forearm, while his right forearm and hand transforms into a sword. When he uses them, however, they will revert to normal flesh after a few hits. As he gains experience in this spell, he can create more weapons (battleax, hammer, mace, etc.) and the created weaponry get stronger and take more damage before reverting back.

Colossus: Copying the ability of a superhero of the same name, Colossus turns Jason's skin to steel. This increases his defense and strength exponentially, starting with x2 and increasing to x100. Not only will these increase, but the length of time will increase, starting with 10 seconds until he can turn it on and off at will. He cannot use any other spell while Colossus is active.

Appearance: Jason stands at 6 foot tall and has a normal build for his age. He has brown/red hair and brown eyes, though you cannot see his eyes much since he keeps them hidden underneath a set of black sunglasses. He can usually be seen in blue jeans, white shirt, and black sneakers. In colder weather, he wears a black leather jacket and black gloves. There's a cross hanging around his neck that was given to him by his father. His hair is always kept spiked up and he always makes sure he looks as presentable as possible to others, wanting to be sure that he looks his best no matter what the situation is.

Personality: Jason is one of the nicest people you will ever meet, but has little social skills. He's not really confident about his speaking ability, so is usually closed off from people until someone talks to him. He speaks his mind and doesn't let any pressure get to him. He was taught to not sweat the small stuff, as well as EVERYTHING is small stuff. He has a habit of making sure that everything he had was organized, from clothing in his drawer to everything in his pockets. Its not an obsession, per se, but Jason likes to make sure he has everything he needs and this is the best way he knows how to make sure. Also, he likes to make sure that he looks his best. He isn't image conscious, but he wants to present himself in the best possible way. He also has an obsession with the medieval times and will talk to anyone about them if they ask him.

History: Jason was raised within a divorce, living with his dad while visiting mom on weekends. His father was part of a medieval times group that like to recreate and relive those times. His mom, however, thinks that the group was idiotic and wouldn't participate in any of their activities. She preferred things to be scheduled and in a certain order, living her life by her scheduling routine. Though he learned some of their quirks, Jason had more fun with his dad and his group and would hang out with them every chance he could. His dad also had a side job as a metalsmith, creating decorative furniture and wall hangings out of different metals. Jason even helped his dad on bigger projects after school with the thought of continuing the business after his dad would pass on.

When Jason was 15, though, his dad thought it was time to tell all. He revealed to Jason that he was a metalmancer, able to use magic based on metal. He explained that the reason he was a metalsmith was to throw off any suspicion in case someone was trying to pry into his life. He even told Jason that he could have some magical potential, which was met with a roll of the eyes. Humoring his dad, Jason allowed his dad to "train" him to use magic. Jason was in total shock when, within minutes, he could transform his right forearm and hand into a sword! Through his dad's guidance, he found out he could use 3 different spells. However, both Jason and his dad felt he wasn't getting any stronger with this training. It was then that his dad decided to enroll him into a special school: the Vale Institute of Higher Learning. Jason, excited about this new development in his life, couldn't wait until the letter got sent off. A few weeks later, when Jason got home, he spied a letter on the table addressed to him from the school. He was accepted! He told his dad, who congratulated him, and quickly got his belongings ready. The next day, they were able to get to the school and his father saw him off. Jason stood and faced the school, determined to be the best he could be. Hopefully, even better than his father.

Code: Challenge me

Last edited:

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
@Chuckles: First I would like to say thanks for your interest. Most of your SU is fine. Volcanic Eruption is a little confusing (Is this another mouth attack or is it just a hand attack?) and there is a typo in your personality (just pointing it out) where you use air instead of fire. The fireball thing doesn't seem like a good idea. Having a magically powered fireball levitate around you ALL THE TIME would literally drain you so fast you could die. Perhaps you could reevaluate the fireball and come up with a creative way to turn it into a spell. Other than that you're good.

Thanks yeah I was originally going to go air but since it seemed popular I decided to mix things up a little. Also thankyou for enlightening me about the fireball stuff. Volcanic ERuption is a hand attack I will fix that up later.

Dualik

Eloquent Trainer
Years
There, I have created two entirely new spells, I apologise for the last two's absolutely appalling inadequacy. I was quite tired when writing the spells and I don't often make such mistakes as the ones I made.

To avoid further confusions, I decided to make Indigo's spells a little less combat orientated.

I have the feeling that Indigo will have no control whatsoever.

On the contrary, the only thing that's really nigh uncontrollable about Indigo is his personality. If that was what you were referring to then fair enough you are correct. However in terms of his magical capability, he takes pride in and has full control over any spells he uses.

(Well as much control as can be expected. Fire is after all clearly the most, volatile element of the basic elements available to us as players.)

siiadams

Got 3DS back...1822-1106-0866
Years
I think I'mfinished with my SU. I hope it meets with your approval.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
alright, I think I've got an idea. Reserve me please, I'll have a hydromancer made either tonight, tomorrow, or at most a few days later.

Colony

Years
Dualik, siiadams, you are both Accepted!

DuskLunacy, I'll put you down for a reservation. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Colony

Years
There needs to be one more acceptance (not including Dements, since he just hasn't posted), then we're good to go. I'm already getting the IC ready for submission, so as soon as the requirement is met and the IC is accepted we can start.

ChaosCrystal

黒竜 影
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 16, 2014
Hmm all right finished the SU hopefully its good enough, if you need me to change anythign let me know Colony

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
MICHAEL LEE
The Gentle Water Mancer

Vale Institute
x
CHAPTER N,
Part N:

"A Golden Ticket"

Name: Michael Latif Lee

Nickname: Archangel (In reference to the Archangel, Michael)

Element: Water

Appearance: (Click the sign-up's thumbnail to see the full image)
Due to Michael's mana-tinged blood, he was born with an unnatural appearance. His hair, while originally meant to be black, came out an ocean blue, with the tips frosted white. His skin is pale, his eyes a gentle, glowing blue (another effect of the mana in his bloodstream). He is somewhat underfed, but physically fit and (aside from being malnourished) very healthy. He tends to smile very softly, though most often his expression is one of calm, deep thought. He often wears black shirts with blue or white pants, and his favorite light-blue scarf.

Personality: Michael is, amusingly, very angelic by nature. With a harsh background, Michael became a very modest and caring young teen. He isn't one for self-pity, and is thankful for all that is given to him. He does his best to help others however he can, putting himself at the back of his mind and focusing on others. The only thing that ruins this personality trait, though, is Michael's shyness. He isn't very upfront, and tends to shy away from social interaction. He's not very talkative until he's befriended someone, but he's not one to go up to a person and try to make friends. He doesn't project his problems to anyone else, meaning he could be subject to bullying or being walked on (metaphorically) but he'd keep to himself rather than get help or tell someone. He tends to avoid problems, and instead move with the flow of his life. When alone, he enjoys reading, Tai Chi, and as of his entry to the academy, the wondrous world of technology. He'd go to the recreational center more often, but the only time he's ever truly had fun there, he was alone.

History: Hidden

Code: "Challenge... Me...?"

Last edited:

Khawill

<3
Years
To finish later
Name: Kayla A. Wash

Nickname: None

Element: Water

Spells: Water Aid: Kayla projects a clone of herself up to six feet in any direction. After one second she is able to switch positions instantly with that clone. The clone repeats any action she does, unless she devotes energy to manipulate it individually. The clone lasts thirty seconds, and currently she can only have one. Under water, she will create many clones, but can not accurately control where they go or which one she switches with. Water clones remain the same color as whatever the liquid it comes from, additionally, they will regenerate body parts if attacked.

Preassure: In a fight under water, this spell increases or decreases the pressure around her target. Outside of water this ability can only restrict targets that are wet. This can also be used to propel herself through water, sink or float quicker, or change the temperature of water around her. She is passively not affected by water pressure.

Kayla is able it passively breathe under water and in air. Outside of water she is much more suspectable to fatigue and suffers from asthma. Her lungs are less efficient out of water.

I don't know if it has to be said, but she can move water around (that exists at least) similar to a water bender from Avatar. The scale is usually only a gallon or two of water at a time.

Appearance:
Spoiler:

Personality: She is a person who enjoys the presence of others. She is charismatic and tough with a high self esteem. She enjoys participating in drama club, swim team, and plays the violin. She is very kind and approachable, though some may be afraid to approach her due to her loud and exiting nature. She can be seen as carefree and lazy in class though, and only manages to pass with an average of a B due to lack of homework.

Unfortunately she is very distant in singular relationships. Often she can't hold a relationship for longer than a few days, and she almost never lets people into her house. She is concerned with accidentally revealing her magic, though still participates in the swim team. She feels much more comfortable swimming, and knows she is safest under water.

History: Kayla was raised in Rhode Island, in a town that was known for its high test scores and a notable swim team. Kayla's parents knew fully well about her magic, her father having it himself. They taught her at a young age to suppress her magic so that she could go to school normally. They encouraged her to take up as many clubs as she could so she could fit in with multiple groups. She was naturally good at swimming without exploiting her active powers, mostly due to her passive ability to breathe and last longer under water. She picked up the violin because wind instruments were hard for her to play. She has been playing since the age of six, and is also capable of playing the piano and cello. Underwater, she can sing beautifully, but above water she becomes tired out and incapable of singing.

She was the second lead role of a play during her junior year of high school and carried her team to nationals on the swim team as well. She did so well in swimming that she was accused of cheating after she attempted to give herself a boost with magic. In order to avoid the wrong attention, admitted to using steroids. She was kicked off the swim team, and her parents pulled her out of school.

The incident did catch the attention of the institute, and they sent her a letter inviting her to their school. Her parents agreed upon admitting her, as long as she stuck with her clubs.

Code: Challenge me

For summarization
-Great Swimmer, can breathe and has great stamina under water
-Inefficient lungs for air, has asthma when not underwater
-Social
-Musician
-Actor

Last edited:

Colony

Years
I love it when there's activity spikes while I'm gone, gives me plenty to work with. ;) So let's get started:

ChaosCrystal you are Accepted. One thing I would like to remind you of, is that proofreading your posts can be a very gracious thing to do. I noticed more than a few typos that, while not making it incomprehensible, did seem avoidable. I only mention this as it will help your writing in the long-term. Other than that, congrats!

GoldenRayquaza your reservation has expired. Since reserving you, I haven't seen a sufficient enough amount of progress, which paired with your lack of response to my inquiry, leaves me little choice. If you finish your SU while there is still an open spot I will happily review it, and accept it if it qualifies.

DuskLunacy you will be accepted as soon as you make a certain change. I've sent you a PM detailing what needs to be changed, which I hope you don't find too difficult to comply with.

DeLaMuerte you are reserved. Can't wait to see your finished SU.

Khawill, would you like me to reserve you?

Also, Chuckles, I'm not sure if you're finished or not with your SU. The fireball thing in the "other" section hasn't been changed, but other than that you're good. So if you have finished it, let me know, because I'm not sure when to review it.

Last edited:

ChaosCrystal

黒竜 影
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 16, 2014
Waaaa sorry about that, I usually try to proofread what i write but always something escapes, i'll be more carefull in the future and if anyone sees any typo please point them out as that will help me avoid and fix them in the future. (english is not my first language so at times i make silly typos =P plus my old keyboard loves to mix letters at times, im not sure why it does that)

Colony

Years
No problem Chaos, it happens to the best of writers. It's also more understandable if English isn't your first language.

Something I forgot to mention is that I will be posting the IC later tonight, since we now have enough people to really get going. I'm just going to put this out there as well, but there will be a sort of evaluation/testing event pretty early on in day one that will require sparring of some type. Would everybody prefer to be randomly selected, paired in the same element, or spar with certain people? I'm fine with any of these, and I'm even fine with a mixture of these. So whatever would be preferred I'll go with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back