• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
I am trying to convert the following images into 16-bit palletted so I can insert them into an Emerald ROM with Overworld editor.

Spoiler:

Usually for this I use Mode... Index Colour with photoshop, and then save the images as a 16 bit bmp, however whenever I try that with these images I don't get the option to do so.

Spoiler:

Do you know any alternate methods I could use to convert them? Alternatively, do you know why these images can't be converted? Please try to give detailed step-by-step instructions rather than just saying something like "use GIMP", I'm not particularly well versed with this stuff.

Because they're already 16 colors, so you can' make them 16 colors again.

Hi, I have a question.
Is there a way to implement a B/W or D/P/Pt Ability such as snow warning or light metal
to a GBA Pokemon game?

Abilities are ASM routines, just they're not stored in a table so it's on you how you do it.

Last edited:

surfer treecko

help, how do I...?
Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2016
Because they're already 16 colors, so you can' make them 16 colors again.

That's not the problem, increasing or decreasing the number of different colours in the image doesn't do anything. They need to be in a specific type of file format or something for me to insert them into Overworld editor.

It's entirely possible I'm going about this the wrong way... What's the usual method people use to convert images into formats that Overworld Editor etc. will accept with photoshop?

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
That's not the problem, increasing or decreasing the number of different colours in the image doesn't do anything. They need to be in a specific type of file format or something for me to insert them into Overworld editor.

It's entirely possible I'm going about this the wrong way... What's the usual method people use to convert images into formats that Overworld Editor etc. will accept with photoshop?

I use GIMP instead of Photoshop, so I couldn't tell you how to get them indexed properly there, but I took a look at the first of the ones you provided and it appears to be indexed with 256 colors, most of them being unused, rather than 16 colors. See if Photoshop has a way to fiddle with the Colormap, and reduce it to 16 colors.

If it helps, you want it to be something like this sprite's colormap:
XMua9uL.png

surfer treecko

help, how do I...?
Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2016
I use GIMP instead of Photoshop, so I couldn't tell you how to get them indexed properly there, but I took a look at the first of the ones you provided and it appears to be indexed with 256 colors, most of them being unused, rather than 16 colors. See if Photoshop has a way to fiddle with the Colormap, and reduce it to 16 colors.

If it helps, you want it to be something like this sprite's colormap:
XMua9uL.png
hi doesnt

Photoshop can change the colourmap just fine (it's what I'm doing in the left hand side of the screenshot, and afterwards when I check the colour table it shows only 15 colours), what it can't seem to do is save things in 16-bit. I didn't index the colours on the sprites I uploaded because I thought the image sharing websites would mess with them.

It would probably just be easier if I used GIMP. ...how do I do that?

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
In GIMP, index it by via Image -> Mode -> Indexed, with Generate Optimum Palette selected, then go to Colors -> Map -> Rearrange Colormap to verify that it's no more than 16 colors and put the background as the first color. Since you're reducing several sprites, it'd probably be a good idea to leave then entire palette in the image while you do this, to make sure that every color you want in the palette is there even if that particular frame doesn't use it. (Alternatively, put every frame in one image, index that, then copy it and crop it repeatedly).

surfer treecko

help, how do I...?
Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2016
Spoiler:

I've tried that, and it still doesn't work (it gives me Runtime Error 481"). The images did however seem to work when I tested them with Advanced Sprite Editor, so maybe it's Overworld Editor that's the problem?

ep!c

Banned
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2015
Use NamelessSpriteEditor in order to insert Overworlds bug-free.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
Well, here are some screenshots that might help. I'm still having a bit of trouble seeing where I'm going wrong.

http://imgur.com/a/mTk9l

Also, my offsets:

New OW Table Offset - 900000 (screenshot 1)
New OW Offset - 910000 (screenshot 2)
Frame Data Pointer Offset - 920000 (screenshot 3)
Frame Data Offset - 930000 (screenshot 4)

Uh, I'm still having some trouble with this. :s

Some more screenshots to highlight the problem:
Spoiler:

* When I interact with the sprite from below (frame 0), the bottom majority of the sprite is invisible.
* When I interact with the sprite from above (frame 1), the sprite appears on top of the player and the top is cut off instead.

The only thing I can think of is it's a problem to do with Free Space, more-so with the latter off-sets? Having said that,despite the ROM not being initially un-used (I did a good bit of scripting etc.), I don't think I got to the 900000s. Idk. :s

I've tried some things so far but nothing seems to have solved it (changing some of the bytes which i felt might be inaccurate. You can see this above or by clicking here.

Thank you. :) Sorry it's not the typical problems but it's been driving me a bit insane. xD

ep!c

Banned
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2015
Well, on the first view it looks like a Tile-error.
Try to set that block to "Hiro hides block" or how it is called in english (0x20 byte)

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
Well, on the first view it looks like a Tile-error.
Try to set that block to "Hiro hides block" or how it is called in english (0x20 byte)

I don't think it;s a tile error since I can put one of the original sprites there and it works correctly. :s I think something's gone wrong when I added new sprites but I can't seem to figure out where I went wrong. xD

Aethestode

Hacker
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
For the DNS Program (put day, night, etc) into the game. Is it possible to control the day or night system with a script? For example, for one event, I want it to be night time, so is there a way to control the time?

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
For the DNS Program (put day, night, etc) into the game. Is it possible to control the day or night system with a script? For example, for one event, I want it to be night time, so is there a way to control the time?

Yes, I think you should take the tutorial "based time events" on the tut section.
But I'm not that sure, you can ask gogojtech himself to answer your questions.

ep!c

Banned
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2015
Hey rockman.
There is a statusbyte in the RAM, which tells you what part of the DNS is used.
At 0x203C000 there is located a byte which can have values from 0 to 6.
0 is night, 1 is morning, 2&3 are day palettes, 4 is afternoon, 5 is evening and 6 is night too.
You can do that with writebytetooffset, but it would be more safe to use ASM tho..

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Hey rockman.
There is a statusbyte in the RAM, which tells you what part of the DNS is used.
At 0x203C000 there is located a byte which can have values from 0 to 6.
0 is night, 1 is morning, 2&3 are day palettes, 4 is afternoon, 5 is evening and 6 is night too.
You can do that with writebytetooffset, but it would be more safe to use ASM tho..

This won't work because the RTC is attached to the main loop, and it would just reset next frame.

Consequently, there's no way to force a time of day on the ROM as it's determined by system time. Best thing you can do, rockman, is simply hide the triggering sprite or have a level script which clears a var if it's too early or late if it's a tile script.

Not even (simple) ASM can get around this. To force time, you'd need to directly modify the RTC code, and trust me, that's not easy!

Aethestode

Hacker
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
This won't work because the RTC is attached to the main loop, and it would just reset next frame.

Consequently, there's no way to force a time of day on the ROM as it's determined by system time. Best thing you can do, rockman, is simply hide the triggering sprite or have a level script which clears a var if it's too early or late if it's a tile script.

Not even (simple) ASM can get around this. To force time, you'd need to directly modify the RTC code, and trust me, that's not easy!

Lol, okay then. Oh well :/ .

Neti

Inactive
Years
Edit: Question just got answered here: http://www.romhack.me/questions/view/id_105

if you wanna read it anyway:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Hello~
How can I make a showpokepic script show an image like this:

unHibuU.png

I know it isn't too complex because I've seen an explanation somewhere before but I can't remember where.

SidDays

Professional Lurker
Years
Does anyone know the unLZ offset for the HP and EXP bar? I found the ones for the box, but just replacing the box doesn't change the bars :/ Is it even possible to replace them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back