• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
People say that parents and children love each other unconditionally. However if you came out as gay (or any other kind of minority sexuality) and your parents refused to accept you, thereby breaking their end of that deal, would you still be able to hold up yours?

This is kind of perplexing me. I understand that some parents would believe that their child would be going to hell, and in their best interest they would not want them to be gay. But with that being said, if you truly believed that your child was going to hell would you want to make their life on Earth hell as well? Also, the gay to straight reform camps emulate that sense of trying to give your child salvation. But these do not work, but I think the parents do have good intentions. Ultimately, it is not the end of the world if a parent cannot except their child's sexuality (as long as they accept their child as their own), however, nothing in the bible compels them to reject their children all together if they are gay, and that would be crossing the line, to the point in which I could not really respect them because they would be against me without any societal, religious, or secular moral backing.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
-ty-: Your mention of reform camps brings me to another question I'd like to ask the entire alliance.

Though we don't agree with what gay reform camps try to do, do you think they have good intentions, and what they do is out of love and not hate? Or do you think they treat these like a prison for gays to become "rehabilitated" in the eyes of their religion?

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
This is why I'm agnostic. I believe religion causes a lot of moral problems. No offense to anyone religious. But even religious parents have to accept their children for who they are. I just wish instead of sending their children to camps, they would learn about homosexuality and know that there is nothing wrong with it.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Though we don't agree with what gay reform camps try to do, do you think they have good intentions, and what they do is out of love and not hate? Or do you think they treat these like a prison for gays to become "rehabilitated" in the eyes of their religion?

Ultimately it doesn't matter what their intentions are, the point is they are wrong and need to stop immediately. However I truly do believe that their intentions are not good - rehabilitation of gays just screams "agenda". They're trying to fix what they don't want to bother understanding - usually in the name of Jesus Christ - and it's nothing short of disgusting.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
My answer to my own question is that, though it initially seems that they might have good intentions, it ultimately boils down to them treating gays like inferiors or like they're evil. I believe the latter of my question is true, that they see them as a prison to send those who go against their views and try to "rehabilitate" them, and then when they can't change it, they view it as the person's fault for being an "abomination". And, therefore, they treat them worse than I would treat my worst enemy. I truly believe that it is possible for someone to be religious and not be homophobic, but that sight is a very rare one.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
Hard to tell, the camps may do it for the sake of "preventing people from going to hell" but that's still prejudice. They're still doing it because "homosexuality is wrong". I believe they do it out of hate more than love. It's a prison that tries to change the unchangeable.

NurseBarbra

くら くら?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2017
Well it seems to be from what I've seen, With religious folk, (and no offence if your not like this but) it's a case of "It's different to our norms, so we hate it and don't want to understand it". So yeah.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Well it seems to be from what I've seen, With religious folk, (and no offence if your not like this but) it's a case of "It's different to our norms, so we hate it and don't want to understand it". So yeah.

It's mostly older religious folk; in the same way that my 82 year old great aunt still holds a grudge towards Jews because that's how the church was in her time. As the times changed, the churches adapted somewhat, and people growing up in the church now should be taught today's teachings, which are much more lenient.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Well, I couldn't tell you... I think people do it for a lot of different reasons. Some may genuinely think that it's what's best for their kid, while others may just want to get rid of them.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
Even if they do it because they genuinely think it's best, that's still prejudice. They don't bother to learn about it or even consider that homosexuality isn't bad. Even if it's their best intentions, the fact is, it proves they think it's wrong. And that in itself, is wrong.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
I think that the camps take advantage of the parents and children and give them misinformation. But I think the parents' intentions are good, although they are ignorant to the scientific truth that sexuality can't be changed, because these camps tell them it is possible without scientific or religious proof. They give parents anecdotal information about gay people who have turned straight, but the majority of them are not able to feign the change in their sexual transformation.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
I'd like to join!

As to the question. I think they think they have good intentions. I don't know too much about them. I mean I read a fictional book where a character goes there but that's all.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
although they are ignorant to the scientific truth that sexuality can be changed,

I'd like to see proof of that. I highly doubt all homosexuals are able to change. I've seen situations where the person feels guilty and wants to change, but still can't. I HIGHLY doubt they can change if they were born that way.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I'd like to see proof of that. I highly doubt all homosexuals are able to change. I've seen situations where the person feels guilty and wants to change, but still can't. I HIGHLY doubt they can change if they were born that way.

Using context clues in his posts, it looks a lot like a typo.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Well how could he think that the camps give misinformation and have no scientific evidence and that most "fixed" people are faking it if he thinks that sexuality can be changed? :P

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
True. But my message still applies to people who do think they can change. You know who you are.

Snow Phoenix

The transient snowman
Years
Well I've wanted to join for a while, but there's a reason why I have that timid nature. I'm a bit of wuss too so my awnser to everything is pretty much "why can't we alll just be friends." >.<

I hang around a crowd thats like 80% gay or bi and they're really interesting people. I consider myself straight, however, simply because I doubt I could ever get emotionally close to a boy. I have a bit of a fear/hatred of men which I really don't like :/ I've had too many bad experiences with men and I know it isn't the entire gender, but I just can't convince myself. I have been trying to lower my guard around them and trying to give them a chance, but everytime a guy stabs me in the back and pushes me further along the dislike.

As for the question. Pretty similar feel to a few other folks here. I can't see any possible reason as to why there would be good intentions coming from the institution itself, but I CAN see how the parents might be concerned. That's as far as I'll go though. I'd rather stay out of any violent disputes. *hides inside of the great shell of timidness*

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Hi Snow Phoenix! Welcome!

Just out of interest, do you consider yourself straight simply because of your bad experiences with men and your subsequent fear of them, or is it also because you have no sexual attraction to them? Because when considering sexuality, sexual attraction is really all that you take into account. What interests your body, not your heart. I'm sure I'll be shot for stating that as an absolute rather than my opinion, but I think that's how it is really :P. I'm really sorry to hear about your experiences though.

Back