• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Ruby hack: Pokemon: Super Rising Thunder!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 17, 2022
I've just remembered that Pokemon Pinball actually has some sprites of Pichu running in it - I saved the sprites to my hard drive and will work on making better running sprites for our hero Pichu using those as a reference, which should eliminate the cat look ^^ (That's what I should have done from the start...but I didn't remember the existence of these sprites ^^' ). When I get that done, I'll update the userbar also so it will have better running sprites on it ^^

As for how the hero's scarf flips from side to side depending on which direction he's facing - that's just part of the Ruby game engine, unfortunately. Walking sprites are made up of nine separate frames - the engine simply flips Sprites 2, 7 and 8 around if you travel towards the right; rather than having separate images for each side. Unfortunately, I can't do anything to change this. :(

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 17, 2022
I made up a second set of running sprites - the sides still aren't the greatest, but at least the player character doesn't look like a cat ^^; Which set should I go with - the earlier sprites or these?

Image53-3.png
Image54-2.png
Image55-2.png

Image50-2.png
Image51-2.png
Image52-2.png

Image56-2.png
Image57-2.png
Image58-2.png

Image59-1.png
Image61.png

These are just bonus screenshots showing the latest sprites inserted - Wurmple, and Sentret. XD

PatJamma

From the ashes
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 8, 2022
ooh much better! new sprites look amazing! it makes me want to play this even more!

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 17, 2022
Before I get to the update, an important note: I will be participating in National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) all through November, and will be focusing only on finishing my fanfic, Paws for Alarm. There will be no more updates to Super Rising Thunder until December, unless I finish the fic early. ^^' Please bear with me - this will only be a month hiatus and things should be back on schedule in no time at all. :)

Thanks for the sprite feedback, everyone! I'll definitely keep the new ones ^^ Also, I have a question - does anyone know how to write in Unown letters in Ruby? I know that they're in the ROM itself - I've seen them with Tile Molester - but is there any way to write with them in a text box? I'd like to use Unown letters to convey writing on signs or other objects built by Magicians (humans), to reflect that writing looks like unintelligible gibberish to the characters in game - but with a hidden layer of meaning for the "Magicians" playing the game who can read it and tell what's written.

Now...the update. ^^ I have no new screenshots with this update, because much of what I've been doing over the past week or so has been the sort of work that either can't be screenshotted, or simply can't be screenshotted yet. What sort of work? Well...I've been making a "ruin-scape filled with garbage and old buildings" tileset for a little later in the game, sprited a few more of the important NPCs and recruitables, and have been trying to get the storyline finalized and streamlined. To make up for my upcoming absence, I'll discuss some of those above mentioned NPCs below, but I'll put it behind a cut to spare those who were wondering what I was doing but don't want to see the tl;dr details. XD

Anyway...I took some time to figure out some of the not so friendly characters you meet along the way. You've been introduced to the Spearow Ruffians and their leader, Freya the Pidgeotto, in screenshots already, but they're hardly the only gang of foes standing in your way. There are eight different "big boss" battles - which take the place of Gym Leader battles in that they allow HM use on the overworld once defeated - but you'll also have to deal with smaller foes...and even bigger ones.

Spoiler:

Thanks for supporting SRT!, and I'll see you again - with updates - in December! ^^

Last edited:

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
Years
* sob* I see so much potential for this hack. It is actually a hack I want to play. Everything about it is superb, and in my opinion, should be constantly at the top xD. If only I had more time to spend on hacking. I would've like to subscribe my skills to you xD

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022
Wow PPG you really have improved since you joined here. Your hacking is top notch and original which is a hard feat to accomplish. All of your sprites in the game so far show how much attention to detail you have as well as your modesty as shown in many of your posts when you say something may look not up to notch to you but everyone else loves it! Which is a great aspect due to it motivating you to keep increasing your abilities and your knowledge in hacking. I really love all the tiles you chose to insert as well! They all seem to fit the style of this Mystery Dungeon and standard Pokemon series games which once again is awesome. Now do not let me forget the scripts as well. For what you have shown your scripts will be superb and make this hack enjoyable throughout as well as adding more playability even after you finish it! If you keep it up at this rate you could be up for Hack of the Month ;)

Aberbecam

Banned
Years
Those O/W looks good and the pallets of the O/W looks pretty impressive aswell.
But the maps are soo..You know,Those maps are soooo not natural.
there are sooo many empty spaces.
And i really like the fonts.
And there are some error in some of those tiles but the tiles you inserted looks wonderful.
Anyways i wish you the best of luck on this project! ;)

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 17, 2022
But the maps are soo..You know,Those maps are soooo not natural.
there are sooo many empty spaces.

Yeah, I'm iffy on these maps myself...mapping's probably my weakest area and that's why I value so much receiving constructive criticism in this regard (I value it other times too, but for my cruddy maps especially). ^^' I was trying really hard to make them look natural while still playable...if they look unnatural to you, what should I do to make them look better? Should I add in more trees or flowers to fill in the empty space, or is it the arrangement of the trees, or the general shapes of the maps themselves, that don't look right to you? Perhaps what I should do is post over in the Map Help Thread in the Scrapbox...

Thank you again for your feedback! I wouldn't get anywhere if all I ever got was praise, and I appreciate you taking the time to address my map issues :)

@Teh_Panda: Thanks so much for your kind words! ^__^ While I doubt that I'll ever reach the level of hacking greatness that some folks around here have, I know that I can always take every opportunity to better myself and my own skills, as humble as they may be compared to some. One never gets old enough to learn! :)

@everyone: I've not been very good about sticking to NaNoWriMo...November's really the worst month they could have picked for something like that >.> So I've decided that I'll keep working on my fanfic at my own pace, and to continue work here on Super Rising Thunder rather than taking that month long hiatus ^^' By the next time I post here I should have screenshots, showing some new graphics-based hacking - the game's title screen and assorted little things like finally getting rid of those damn Pokeballs and the player character's backsprite in battle. Also, in my last post I asked about writing in Unown Script - I've figured out myself how to do this and look to have fun with it. :)

Aberbecam

Banned
Years
Hey, Look at some mapping tutorial.
While i learned mapping,I used Neti's Mapping Tutorial.
I wonder if its still there. In that tutorial it has alot of very well detailed,
And very well explained dialogues. So if you read the tutorial completely,
You can become a natural mapper very soon ;)

Years
Wow... just... wow.

This is one of the best, if not the best, hacks I've ever seen. You've done so many complicated things that I rarely see, and the story is just... amazing.

It's just... disturbing, but with a cute setting, which just adds to the overall effect. All these innocent phrases for bad things, it really seems realistic to what a pokemon would think. The talk of "Magicians" and the "Flash-born"... I love it.

It's late, so I'm going to go in detail at the moment, but... this looks great. Good luck. I'll come back and give a better review later.

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 17, 2022
Awww, thanks, Kenji! :) I just hope I come up with a final product that meets all your expectations...

Anyway...my focus for the past couple of days has been on graphical hacking. I was having a lot of trouble with palettes at first; but after practicing a lot with APE and a hex editor (XV132, specifically), I think I finally got the hang of it...feel free to contradict me though if something doesn't look right XD

Image66-1.png
Image69-1.png

As seen here, I've started the task of updating the little battle platforms, for lack of a better term, to the DPPt graphics (I could hack the backgrounds too, but I think that is something that I will wait a while to do, if I do it at all ^^' ). Also, our player Pichu finally appears as a Pichu from the back at the battle's start - believe it or not, that's something I only changed yesterday! XD

Image68-1.png

When you or a team mate are summoned into battle, you no longer appear from a Pokeball - there's just a slight pause, and then you poof into the scene. ^^' Incidentally, I do want to replace that "Go! Your Name Here!" text with something else, but given the lack of space at that offset, I think the only thing I could change it to is have it simply display the name of whatever character is in front; or I could just erase it altogether. Does anyone have other suggestions?

Image70-1.png

Just a shot of a new script in action to show that graphics are not the only thing on my mind. :) This towns-Raichu is curious about the noise he heard within that tree...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back