• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Since Absols are pretty rare in fics, I was able to add any personality I wanted when I wrote about one.

I didn't really know about this, but it's weird. Absols are just so cool: I can't imagine why people wouldn't use them more. I have one in my fic, and it's going to be very fun to write about.

Bay

Years
How do you deal with subtlety?

Yeah, I pretty much sprinkle hints here and there on "Nothing, Everything" on a few things like what is going to happen next, which characters are important, and themes. So far my reviewers hadn't really quick the themes and such yet, but then again the story is only on its fouth chapter! XD In short, I do leave important clues and such but it's more that I sneak it in than keep smacking them on my reader's heads. XD

On themes, well I tend to think of a couple of themes I would like to do, sort of a goal to myself on what I want the path of the story to go to. After I write though, the themes I planned are still there but then more themes began to branch out that I hadn't planned. XD

Sorry in advance if I misinterpet anything. I'm quite tired at the moment as I hadn't gotten much sleep from writing one of my essays and studying for quizzes and midterms. ^^;

Yamato-san

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 15, 2012
While I realize you don't follow the dub, consider the the first Pokemon movie. One of the major themes was that violence doesn't solve everything, and smack in the middle of the movie, you get some pretty trite dialogue out of the characters (such as James looking at the fighting Pokemon and muttering, "I was prepared for trouble... but not like this," a la anti-drug commercial).

actually, I did follow the dub until about three years ago, when I finally got access to the Japanese episodes. Not only that, but I do still hear about what gets changed in the English version (particularly through Dogasu's comparison site).

I can see what you're saying, and I do sometimes think I'm overdoing it.... still, a deep and moving story is something I've wanted from the start. I want to be able to have drama without it seeming half-assed, overdone, empty, and/or forced (the last part being rather ironic to say, considering I actively strive towards such a thing in the first place ^^'). Though, I have come up with a number of dramatic scenes that I think could work, so maybe I'm alright. Though, dialog's not something I've worked on too much, so it would help me to know how much is too much.... when the length and content of the dialog is acceptable, if not perfect, and when it just drags out or divulges too much, thus me asking about subtlety.

Even though I've been searching for a theme, I don't think I've ever radically altered any of the major events of the plot to try to expand on said theme or in order to shoehorn one in (at most, I'd try to alter characters' attitudes and minor actions to fit in with it.... resulting in my whiny, homesick protagonist from the script -_-). I know it's possible to just think of the events for a plot, but themes still seem to be an essential for practically any story.... some apparently come later in the planning, some crop up naturally, but they're there all the same. I keep looking at the events planned in my story, and try to figure out what could be there.... problem is, my basic idea of what the central theme could be is constantly changing, and I still don't have a consistent personality for the main character because of it. Perhaps several authors don't even have a theme in mind, and it's just something that a reviewer claims is within the story later.... still, I get the feeling that knowing my theme could help me, especially when the events in the middle of the story are still rather fragmented (hell, a theme could probably help me come up with new events... there's also the aforementioned protagonist and me unable to come up with a consistent personality).

But I guess, for what it's worth, one thing I've always wanted to do with my doujinshi is provide a rather tongue-in-cheek outlook of the Pokemon franchise in general, especially the serious business I was talking about earlier. Maybe this could be an example of a concept, perhaps even a theme, which I could consistently run with (don't get the wrong idea, though.... I said "tongue-in-cheek", but it's not meant to be an outright parody. Pokemon are still treated in a serious light, but I often portray characters having normal lives that don't revolve around the creatures 24/7. For that matter, having the protagonist not take an interest in Pokemon raising has to be one of the few consistent traits I've had with him).

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years

When it comes to being subtle about stuff, I try to keep things obscure or not to reveal everything at once. Example, in Feral Twilight, my main character Jay Christie was supposed to have been the best trainer in his home region of Ronac until losing to his little sister six months earlier. The fic is in first person, and since he's kind of haunted by that fact and holds a grudge against his sister, it'd be too easy just to have him say it in the narration, which is why I only have him show his grudgeful attitude without him really saying a thing.

Okay... That's probably as clear as mud, but what I'm getting at is that I'm trying to avoid just telling stuff and give clues to it instead. That's also something I'm trying with my fakemon or, at least a few of them... I'm learning it's kind of hard to just give clues as to what to a few of them are without some type of decent explanation as to how they came about and develop and stuff like that.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023

I don't, because when I attempt to use it, I fail horribly. But I do use certain phrases to foreshadow events, whether they'll happen or not is all part of the fun.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
I remember hearing once that even experienced authors tend struggle when it comes to subtlety in their fiction. I can't remember exactly where I heard that, but I've noticed in quite a few published works that the POV is normally third person omniscient and, though there tends to be usage of techniques that build some suspense or mystery, it just seems that they're normally a lot more straight-out stuff rather than a bunch of little stuff that eventually ends up revealing stuff. But then, maybe it just seems this way to only me...

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I don't know about other published writers, but I know that my favorite one wrote his more popular book without any idea of subtle messages. Yet on my fifth (and yes, I need a life) second read through, I noticed little subtle hints that are in the first few chapters about later events. I was all confused about how I missed it before.

And the fantasy novel that I'm reading now is annotated with notes by the two authors and their editor. So they point out the text where hints are dropped about future events. And they had planned out what they were going to add.

So, in summary, I guess it just depends on the writer.

I let it happen when it happens. If I notice that there's a great phrase that I wrote that leaves a hint, then I'll leave it in and see if readers notice it or not.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Hanoko brought up something I really enjoy about fanfic writing. As you post chapters, you're allowed to do a little commentary on the side to involve your readers more. For instance, if you post a chapter that contains something you alluded to in an earlier chapter, you can point it out. You can also explain where ideas came from, why you chose a certain name/place/etc., and many other things. It's almost like a book reading performed by the author, and commentary and questions from the audience is allowed, even encouraged. It's more involved, and I think just more dang fun than reading a book where the author is distanced from his or her audience.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
Commentaries are kind of fun. I like learning about the ideas that went into other people's writings. Now if I'd only get past the first chapter or so of my fics Feral Twilight and Biohazard and get one of them posted, I might actually be able to have a couple...

Anyways, there's something that's been bugging me lately regarding a shadow Pokemon fic I've been working on (forever). It's about one of my characters. I was wondering if anyone would find a story involving a trainer who has a good amount of experience under his belt to the point where he actually beat his home region's Pokemon league interesting. There's a twist to that, though, as in he was the league champion until losing to one of the worst possible people, his little sister (little in the sense she's two years younger than him). After that, the story's supposed to chronicle his life after the loss, how he gets involved with the region's professor who's created a biological monstrocity, and then how a crime syndicate using the power of a cursed item that allows for the creation of shadow Pokemon try to capture that monster in order to summon forth a legendary beast that has the power to control the emotions of fear, envy, and rage.

Yeah, that's probably as clear as mud... So, what do you guys think? Good or bad?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
If there's conflict in the story, then you're all set. You might have to work a bit on the main character to not make him uber strong in Pokemon battles. He was strong enough to be the Champion, so his Pokemon are going to be stronger than, say, my OT with her baby Pokemon.

Of course, a question I have is what is the main force of conflict? Is the main character going around stopping the evil team? If so, then you have to deal with the problem of him being stronger than a punky kid.

And, is there going to be the main character dealing with the fact that he lost to his little sister? That would be fun to deal with, having him come to terms with it. Maybe a form of conflict could be him thinking that his battle skills aren't good enough anymore, and through some inspiring event, he gets over that fear.

Okay, I'll stop now, Skunter. ^^ I hope a little bit of my ramblings helped you.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
Well, yeah, that helps a lot. I was already going to have the part where his performance in battles is kind of crippled due the fact that his little sister beat him before and he just can't get over that inferiority complex for awhile. My real problems though are figuring just how he gets over this and how the shadow crisis get solved.

One of the things I've got figured for the first is that the legendary beast, which is supposed to only exist in dreams, is the thing responsible for taunting my main character Jay Christie by forcing him to relive his defeat every time he sleeps and, thus, undertaking this mission to recover the object that the crime syndicate has in order to use it to keep himself in control of his dream and defeat the monster once and for all.

For the second one, I've got it kind of tying into the first, where Jay is still haunted by a creature in his dreams, but instead it's one of three monsters that supposedly created the legendary beast. Ultimately, it's the same case where it haunts the guy, but this creature is said to be imprisoned in a crystal form for all eternity and can't be freed and fought. However, Jay is led to believe that if he recovers the object and gains control of the legendary beast himself, he'll be able to revive the three monsters who created it, slay them, and automatically cause the reversion of any shadow Pokemon created using the object, due to how it was supposed to have been created by the three demons just like the beast.

Eh... I'm just not sure about this Feral Twilight story, though... The only thing that was really good about it's rough handwritten draft (which wasn't good, at all) was how it helped to spawn my idea for Biohazard...

Firemaker

Pokemon Master
Years
That sounds interesting. Even so, if you have uber-powerful pokemon, why can't they fend for themselves?

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
No, I'm not dead here, just been busy as heck lately...

Hanoko brought up something I really enjoy about fanfic writing. As you post chapters, you're allowed to do a little commentary on the side to involve your readers more. For instance, if you post a chapter that contains something you alluded to in an earlier chapter, you can point it out. You can also explain where ideas came from, why you chose a certain name/place/etc., and many other things.
YES! It's something that I enjoy doing as well. In my fic, if a reviewer asks a question related to something mentioned in a previous chapter, I'll go back in my fic, look for the passage, and quote it as clarification.

In my fic on the other forum, I have a "Cultural References" spoiler where I give information on real life locations, cars, etc. that I mention in my fic. I may start doing that in this version as well.

One unfortunate effect of doing this is that it provokes some readers to respond by posting stupid SPAM posts like "Thats kewl" and "Awsome I never new that!!11!" in response. Unfortunately, that's something that's beyond the author's control unless they notify a mod about it. And the authors who do have a following of SPAM repliers don't seem to want to do a thing about it.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
DP! *hugs*

I guess that the authors enjoy their spamming worshipers. The author's fic in question is constantly bumped to the first page, gaining attention that way. The fic also has more replies and more views, gaining even more attention. ("This fic is so active! Must read!") It's just something that's always annoyed me. I mean, sure, the replies to the reviews are fine if the reviewer brought up something that needed to be rectified. (Sure, Hans. Spell "rectified" right but fail at spelling "enjoy".) But if all you're posting is "Thanks! :D" then I want to smack you with a fish.

And it gets really annoying when there's serious abuse of the Enter key in replies and chapters.

There are a few other annoying habits of certain authors that I could get into, but I won't. Only because I want to play the Sims 2. :<

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years
Oh, this reminds me...

Do you use romance in fanfiction often? Is it a main theme or is it a side plot? Is it limited to human characters only?

As for me... well, my first fanfic plot bunny that got me started with the idea of writing this was a weird story about a guy who actually fell in love, in the romantic sense, with one of his Pokemon. That idea's stayed with me for quite some time, so I eventually wrote an updated version of that character into "Thief in the Night". (No, it isn't Gale.) But I've never actually thought about writing a fic centered only around romance. I just view it as character development, and also a way to cement the bond between two characters. If used correctly, it sometimes ups the tension of situations. ("So, Mr. Hero, what will it be? Defeat Dialga in some corny game rip-off plot and save the world or save the girl? Hmmm?")

Well, actually, corny situation aside I really do think that romance can be used to improve tension. Perhaps in defeating the antagonist the main character inadvertently offends the girl or something. Or weirder yet... the person the main character falls in love with turns out to be the villain. Creepy, yet surprisingly unused in most fanfics I've read. Hmm.... this is just crying out for a story. XD

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
Do you use romance in fanfiction often? Is it a main theme or is it a side plot? Is it limited to human characters only?

There IS some romance in my fanfic. It is not a main theme. The most that it will be is the basis for a story arch or a side plot, but it is present. It's not limited to human characters. I have pokemon in love with other pokemon. Thats all, though.

txteclipse

The Last
Years

I will probably have some form of romance. It won't be fiery and full of emotion and such, however; I'm more of one for tame relationships. There's at least two I have planned for the moment, but I may do four or more. It will be kept strictly human-to-human and pokemon-to-pokemon, in any case.

As for importance, the romances are actually slightly necessary (I never spell that right). Without them, the plot would kind of not work.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years

(In terms of P:SN) The basic love triangle becomes obvious within the first ten chapters and although romance isn't part of the main plot, it will play a great role in driving the main charatcer toward the main plot.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
That sounds interesting. Even so, if you have uber-powerful pokemon, why can't they fend for themselves?

Well... I never said they couldn't. Jay Christie's lead Pokemon is a creature that acts more on instinct than it ever does by listening to his orders, which is why it's supposedly renowned as his homeland's deadliest predatory Pokemon. The others on his team, too, are capable of fending for themselves, but tend to rely on him for some type of guidence in battle.

But, anyways...

Yes, I do! And, though it's normally a side thing, it's not just limited to human characters. In the rough draft of Feral Twilight, Jay had a girlfriend from high school named Josephine (or just Jo). They were pretty close, but so too where their lupine Pokemon Spunky the Lupudle (one of my fakemon) and Cheyanne the Mightyena.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2016
Offtopic:

Why was Grovyle42(Griff4815)'s fic taken out of the archive?

In my fic, I will have two, I guess you could say crush/romantic, relationships. However, it isn't the main theme, but it somewhat drives my character to help a cause. As far as it being limited to human characters, I think in my fic it will. I may consider some Pokemon love, but I don't know if I'll be able to protray it the way I want it to be portrayed. However, anything is posisble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back