• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokemon Red 151

blue

gucci
Years

Pokemon Red 151
pokeball.gif

Pokémon Red 151 is self explanatory by it's title, this hack will enable you to capture all 151 Pokemon in-game through different methods.
Not only can you capture all Pokemon but you will notice a staggering increase in difficulty. Thanks to Miksy91 for help with hex editing.

Hack Details

Hack Of:
badge-red.png

Hack Name: Pokémon Red 151
Date Created: 18th December 2012
Creator: Blue
Features

★ 151 Pokémon - All 151 Pokémon will be obtainable some way through trades, wild, events etc.
★ Difficulty - All Trainers & Bosses now have stronger teams with much higher levels.
★ Stat Changes - Some Pokémon have increased stats - See Document for further details.
★ In-Game Trades - The in-game traders will now have Pokémon that require trade for evolution i.e Kadabra, Haunter etc.
★ Colour - Thanks to Danny-E 33's Colour & Graphic patch, the game will now play in full colour and will have updated sprites from Generation II.

Media

Here are some of the in-game changes.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Download

Please Click Here to download or refer to the attatchment below.

css by twilightblade

Last edited:

-Slick-

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 30, 2017
Nice I've been hoping you would do one of the gen I pokemon games! Great job, definitely can't wait to try this baby out

Mr. Magius

  
Years
Yay, thanks for this! This'll give me a reason to play Red again.

Have you added anything other than simply difficulty and availability of all the Pokémon? I know it makes it more of a personal hack rather than just a 151 hack, but it would make it more interesting, and attract others to the game. For example, adding a Pokémon event here or there, a new trainer(s), different sprites, maybe different hero/heroine characters, etc. Just a thought.

U only can Machamp trading it?
i lol'd at the grammar, but yes, I think there is an in-game character who will trade you a Machoke.

blue

gucci
Years
Yay, thanks for this! This'll give me a reason to play Red again.

Have you added anything other than simply difficulty and availability of all the Pokémon? I know it makes it more of a personal hack rather than just a 151 hack, but it would make it more interesting, and attract others to the game. For example, adding a Pokémon event here or there, a new trainer(s), different sprites, maybe different hero/heroine characters, etc. Just a thought.

i lol'd at the grammar, but yes, I think there is an in-game character who will trade you a Machoke.

Yeah, I'd like to expand the features if I could but I need to learn more about hex editing before I can do that but I do plan to add additional trainers etc.

Years
  • Seen Jun 16, 2022
Thank you I searched everywhere for a good harder version of red. :)

timson733333

Woah.
Years
Level curve seems a tad too high. I tried myself editing the trade data to have NPCs trade you Haunter, Kadabra, etc. and the evolutions didn't work, so test them out to make sure they work.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Level curve seems a tad too high. I tried myself editing the trade data to have NPCs trade you Haunter, Kadabra, etc. and the evolutions didn't work, so test them out to make sure they work.
Yeah, that's most likely the "effect" on trading pokemon that evolve by trading through in-game trades. The coding behind trading with NPC characters is completely different from that of used to trade with a link cable.

Yeah, I'd like to expand the features if I could but I need to learn more about hex editing before I can do that but I do plan to add additional trainers etc.
Creating new person events which function as "additional trainers" is far from the knowledge required to doing simple hex edits. Of course nothing is impossible but you do have to learn how coding in the games work to achieve that; read, experiment, read, experiment, ..., and one day get the hang of the process.

And to be able to add in features like "more trainers", you'll have to understand the process behind loading the trainer datas for the battle to start (this depends quite a lot of the game you're working on too). It took me around a year to get hang of scripting and understanding a bit about assembly (once I started practising, not just creating "edits"), you can do it too if you really want to. But for instance with trainers there, I think you do have to get the hang of basics of Z80 assembly. But that's not difficult either once you understand more simple things first.

Rom Hacking is like a never-ending stairway; from any step, it's possible for you to reach the next one, with a little bit of work of course. However, to progress two steps at the same time is a more difficult process, it's easier to go on one step at a time.

Last edited:

Hacker Bisharp

Bug reporter
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 28, 2019
I wonder why I never noticed this hack. It 's great!
And it is very very difficult!

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 28, 2019
Is Poliwag only available by fishing? Because I want one to beat Brock, but... You know.

break

D-Sun that was called D-Moon
Years
ah, came across this one on youtube ^_^"

so what tools did you uses to hack this game ?

Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2017
This is cool. I made a Pokemon Red hack a few years ago and it is also called Pokemon 151. I made it back when PRTranslations was on the go. Your hack is really enjoyable.

OliveCopper

Captain of Olive Kappa
Years
  • Seen Nov 29, 2016
Oh boy! Pokemon Red 151? Wow!

And, one of the in-game trades is for a Kadabra? I shuddered just seeing that screenshot!

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Feb 20, 2014
Hello, your romhack pokemon red 151 is being used in the bizarrely popular twitch plays pokemon livestream (twitch (dot) tv/twitchplayspokemon). I was hoping you could provide a more through list of the changes you made so we can (try) to guide things more effectively.

For example, we recently beat the fighting dojo and received hitmonlee... who we accidentally released when we tried to retrieve him from the PC. After that there was a lot of debate about whether or not we could go back for hitmonchan as well.

I downloaded the rom, but the documentation you included doesn't explain much except for some new wild pokemon locations and stat total changes. It would be great if you could provide details about other changes.

Thank you,
Neiromaru and the whole TPP audience (85,000 people at the moment!)

P.S. Praise the almighty Helix Fossil.

Back