< >
Hello, guest! Please log in or register.

The PokéCommunity

Go Back     The PokéCommunity Forums > Create & Discover > Game Development > Pokémon Essentials Your suggestions for Essentials

Notices

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Reply Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #251    
Old January 9th, 2016 (7:21 PM).
airmax airmax is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Gender:
Posts: 12
Online Server like Markz88 . Yea yea, I'm one of those guys.
Reply With Quote

Relevant Advertising!

  #252    
Old February 1st, 2016 (1:27 PM).
ptisnjunk95's Avatar
ptisnjunk95 ptisnjunk95 is offline
Made in Portugal
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Portugal
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Naive
Posts: 129
I would like suggest an improvement in the "Scroll Map" Option. You have lot's of animations like that in almost every game (In this Youtube Link we can see some examples.).

So the default option RPG Maker limits the camera's movement by one axis at a time, and doesn't move diagonally, as you can see in the example above, that there is an animation that does that.
Reply With Quote
  #253    
Old February 6th, 2016 (3:23 AM).
sharzin's Avatar
sharzin sharzin is offline
only (or at least bigest) iranian pokemon fan
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: iran
Gender: Male
Posts: 81
1- have a full pack of hg/ss musics ready to use (yea im a dumb and lazy guy)
2- have some of really needed scripts already existed so i dont get stupid errors (like following script)
3- ability to have mid-battle text/conversation
4- a pokestar studio thing

many pepole like pokemons but i love em all
also check out my hack: pokemon chip easy

also if you want to help me in the project mega version just tell me
Reply With Quote
  #254    
Old February 6th, 2016 (1:08 PM).
Rot8er_ConeX's Avatar
Rot8er_ConeX Rot8er_ConeX is offline
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: The Dissa Region
Gender: Male
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharzin View Post
4- a pokestar studio thing
You can already do this. The trick is to make Pokemon species that don't appear in the Pokedex.
Features of Pokemon Entropy

The black circular "doodles" in my avatar are actually my username written in Gallifreyan. Yes I'm a Whovian.
Reply With Quote
  #255    
Old February 7th, 2016 (8:42 AM).
sharzin's Avatar
sharzin sharzin is offline
only (or at least bigest) iranian pokemon fan
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: iran
Gender: Male
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot8er_ConeX View Post
You can already do this. The trick is to make Pokemon species that don't appear in the Pokedex.
how??? how can we record eah move and change sprites and give conversations?

many pepole like pokemons but i love em all
also check out my hack: pokemon chip easy

also if you want to help me in the project mega version just tell me
Reply With Quote
  #256    
Old February 7th, 2016 (12:15 PM).
Maruno's Avatar
Maruno Maruno is offline
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England
Posts: 5,107
This isn't the thread for that kind of question (or, for that matter, any questions).
Reply With Quote
  #257    
Old February 19th, 2016 (11:58 AM).
Pokébook's Avatar
Pokébook Pokébook is offline
Pokébook™ - Lead Dev in Pokémon Deluxe
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Portugal
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Nature: Modest
Posts: 82
Maruno, sorry for being late for my Suggestions.
I have thought about that and sorry for not reading all pages of this Thread, (If I repeat some Suggestions, then tell me that per pm, so I can edit this post) but here it goes:

Stuff's l like that Essentials would have, without Original games having them.
What I mean is that I would like that Essentials would have some Features, that GameFreak games don't have it, like:
- Pokémon can hold 2 Items at the same time.
- A feature that can let you add and change the Contest-Style (1-6th gen) on RMXP.
- More Bug fixings (their more important)


My Wishlist for Essentials *_*
- The playable character can sit on chairs, like XY, but you can put it off/on in the Settings if you like.

- The Player can have 2 Bikes and you can add and change the Effect of the Key Items and have the playable character have rollerskates and riding on Pokémon (the last one could be difficult, but that can be in another Essentials version)

- Pokémon Editor (you can search Pokémon Names by clicking in the Keyboard CTRL + F and typing the name of Pokémon you search (that would be Awesome).

- Pokémon Editor (A feature where you can Add a new playable character and/or add a new outfit of your choice, that would be great. For example: You click on "Add new Player/Outfit" » then a question appears: Do you want to add a new Player or a new Outfit for the Players? » then you can choose: "Add new Player" or "Add new Outfit".

» If you choose Add new Player, they will tell you what to do in order to have a new playable character.

» If you choose Add new Outfit, they will tell you what to do in order to have a new Outfit for your playable Character. I know how to do both of them, but these Features could become famous and useful to new Users and Beginners of Essentials.



I will be thinking of more Suggestions I can tell, but I think this one are sufficient for now.
Hello. I am making 2 games with RPG Maker XP and Essentials!:
Pokémon Deluxe and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire
Reply With Quote
  #258    
Old February 19th, 2016 (1:11 PM).
Maruno's Avatar
Maruno Maruno is offline
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England
Posts: 5,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokébook View Post
- A feature that can let you add and change the Contest-Style (1-6th gen) on RMXP.
It's a bit pointless to change the contest style if there are no contests in Essentials. Plus Gens 1, 2 and 5 didn't have contests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokébook View Post
- More Bug fixings (their more important)
What an utterly pointless statement. There are always bugs that need fixing, and you haven't mentioned any in particular so what am I supposed to look at? If you have specific bugs that need fixing, report them elsewhere, not in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokébook View Post
- Pokémon Editor (A feature where you can Add a new playable character and/or add a new outfit of your choice, that would be great. For example: You click on "Add new Player/Outfit" » then a question appears: Do you want to add a new Player or a new Outfit for the Players? » then you can choose: "Add new Player" or "Add new Outfit".

» If you choose Add new Player, they will tell you what to do in order to have a new playable character.

» If you choose Add new Outfit, they will tell you what to do in order to have a new Outfit for your playable Character. I know how to do both of them, but these Features could become famous and useful to new Users and Beginners of Essentials.
Player outfits are nothing more than an extra set of charsets/sprites. There's nothing to define. See the wiki for information. The game absolutely doesn't need to talk about how to make them.

You can already define new player characters. You can have up to 8 of them, of which 2 are defined by default. See the Metadata.
Reply With Quote
  #259    
Old February 20th, 2016 (3:27 AM).
Pokébook's Avatar
Pokébook Pokébook is offline
Pokébook™ - Lead Dev in Pokémon Deluxe
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Portugal
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Nature: Modest
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
It's a bit pointless to change the contest style if there are no contests in Essentials. Plus Gens 1, 2 and 5 didn't have contests.
I thought there were Contests but I couldn't find out how to do that. So Instead of that you could make Contests, from Gen 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
What an utterly pointless statement. There are always bugs that need fixing, and you haven't mentioned any in particular so what am I supposed to look at? If you have specific bugs that need fixing, report them elsewhere, not in this thread.
I wasn't supposed to post them in this thread, was like posting that they are important to fix and of course I had not mentioned any of them because I do not know what Bugs they are. If I find some I report that elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
Player outfits are nothing more than an extra set of charsets/sprites. There's nothing to define. See the wiki for information. The game absolutely doesn't need to talk about how to make them.
I know how to do that, but there are many people that doesn't know it. So it would be a help for them, if that would be in the Editor, but doesn't need that either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
You can already define new player characters. You can have up to 8 of them, of which 2 are defined by default. See the Metadata.
I had seen the entire Wiki right before I installed Essentials, because I wanted to know everything what I can make, so I read everything what I could read and read the Metadata too. Also read other Tutorial pages in the Internet and videos of them. And how I said above, it was just a Suggestion that this could be a great help for people that read and can not understand (with no offense dummies) or beginners.

I'm sorry if you don't like my Suggestions, I can not figure out why you did no answer to my other Suggestions:
- Pokémon can hold 2 Items (that would be so awesome and useful)
So for example a Meowth that can Pickup can hold things and hold another Item that you can give him/her.

- Playable Character Sit on chairs/bed (like XY)
I know you don't like to make Essentials in XY. But you already did that, because in the Settings we can choose if our Pokémon can receive extra experience points after we catch a Pokémon.

- Playable Character can ride on Pokémon and can have roller skates.

- Contest (You can Add the Contests /PokéBLOCK to Pokémon Essentials)


Regrets
Reply With Quote
  #260    
Old February 20th, 2016 (10:05 AM).
Maruno's Avatar
Maruno Maruno is offline
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England
Posts: 5,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokébook View Post
I wasn't supposed to post them in this thread, was like posting that they are important to fix and of course I had not mentioned any of them because I do not know what Bugs they are. If I find some I report that elsewhere.
"Making the game work properly" really ought to be too obvious to mention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokébook View Post
I know how to do that, but there are many people that doesn't know it. So it would be a help for them, if that would be in the Editor, but doesn't need that either.
There is no way the Editor could edit any outfits, because they're all graphics files. Why put something in the Editor that can't be edited?

The wiki is for all instructions, and if someone doesn't want to read that, then that's their business. Essentials comes with a link to the wiki, so not knowing about the wiki is not an excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokébook View Post
I can not figure out why you did no answer to my other Suggestions:
I had nothing to say about your other suggestions. I'm not obliged to comment on every single idea people throw around. But if you insist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokébook View Post
- Pokémon can hold 2 Items (that would be so awesome and useful)
Nope, stupid idea, wouldn't be used by anyone. If you want to make Pickup immediately add its items to the Bag, then you go right ahead - that's not how the official games do it, therefore that's not how Essentials does it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokébook View Post
- Playable Character Sit on chairs/bed (like XY)
How dull. Pokémon games are about adventuring, not sitting around. This adds nothing to a game, and is not worth my consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokébook View Post
- Playable Character can ride on Pokémon and can have roller skates.
There's already an example of this in the scripts: the bicycle. Copy how that works if you want to add more methods of transportation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokébook View Post
- Contest (You can Add the Contests /PokéBLOCK to Pokémon Essentials)
That's an add-on, not something I feel belongs in Essentials. Indeed, someone has already made that add-on.
Reply With Quote
  #261    
Old February 20th, 2016 (10:55 AM). Edited February 20th, 2016 by Pokébook.
Pokébook's Avatar
Pokébook Pokébook is offline
Pokébook™ - Lead Dev in Pokémon Deluxe
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Portugal
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Nature: Modest
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
"Making the game work properly" really ought to be too obvious to mention.


There is no way the Editor could edit any outfits, because they're all graphics files. Why put something in the Editor that can't be edited?

The wiki is for all instructions, and if someone doesn't want to read that, then that's their business. Essentials comes with a link to the wiki, so not knowing about the wiki is not an excuse.


I had nothing to say about your other suggestions. I'm not obliged to comment on every single idea people throw around. But if you insist...


Nope, stupid idea, wouldn't be used by anyone. If you want to make Pickup immediately add its items to the Bag, then you go right ahead - that's not how the official games do it, therefore that's not how Essentials does it.


How dull. Pokémon games are about adventuring, not sitting around. This adds nothing to a game, and is not worth my consideration.


There's already an example of this in the scripts: the bicycle. Copy how that works if you want to add more methods of transportation.


That's an add-on, not something I feel belongs in Essentials. Indeed, someone has already made that add-on.
Oh my Goodness! At the beginning as I heard that you made Essentials I thought you were nice, but now you proved the opposite. As you said some words that are a little offensive to me: "Making the game work properly (I didn't say that) really out to be too obvious to mention. stupid idea, wouldn't be use by anyone. How dull. Not worth."

It's kinda strange but the first time we talked you seem to disagree all the time to everything what I say, I used to give you PBS files for your new version and you didn't want them. You disagree with me all the time. I did not know about that with the Pickup that you can put the items to the bag.

what's wrong? I love XY, I don't have a 3ds and want really make a game 3rd gen style with all features of XY. Ok I know you are not obliged to help me or to make that "stupid" ideas I gave you.

So I think I'll delete my account here on this Forum, and I will register me in another Forum where peoples are nice to me where the rules are better than here. (post just at the same day/week/month not 1-or more months later than the last post - stupid rule) It must be another Community with english People, because my game will be "Unfortunately" in english =(
I wanted it in German.

Spoiler:
My Ideas are genial and you're kinda rude answering, I will use Essentials though. Poor Essentials, it has no fault on having such a rude and mean Creator.


Spoiler:
As I said I already read the whole wiki, the Wiki is not complete and you haven't explained the Pages of the Wiki exactly.



Edit 19:12 I think I stay here, as I know there are still many people out there that are really nice. And Maruno I am not lazy, I am the opposite of lazy! I work everyday at my game.

Have a nice day Sir.
Reply With Quote
  #262    
Old February 20th, 2016 (11:57 AM).
Maruno's Avatar
Maruno Maruno is offline
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England
Posts: 5,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokébook View Post
Oh my Goodness! At the beginning as I heard that you made Essentials I thought you were nice, but now you proved the opposite. As you said some words that are a little offensive to me: "Making the game work properly (I didn't say that) really out to be too obvious to mention. stupid idea, wouldn't be use by anyone. How dull. Not worth."
I do not try to be rude. I know I can be blunt at times, but I certainly don't try to offend.

My answers come from the perspective of the developer of Pokémon Essentials, which, as its name suggests, is for the basics of what is needed to make a Pokémon game. Frills and unnecessary features are, at best, low priority, and more often than not are simply excluded for being niche or vague or not worth adding. What is "worth" adding? Well, frankly, that's up to me, because I'm the only one working on Essentials (everyone is free to volunteer, but they don't because it's Someone Else's Problem). And I expressed my thoughts on the suggestions you gave, because you apparently wanted me to - I originally didn't want to, remember, but you prompted me into it.

Please note that the suggestions you gave aren't your original ideas. Other people have thought of them before, and suggested them before, and I've responded similarly before. Any distaste I show is towards the ideas, not to the people suggesting them. I welcome all ideas, but that is of course not the same as accepting them all. My time is finite, and I don't want to spend it on things which I think will be of minimal use (such as being able to sit on chairs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokébook View Post
"Making the game work properly (I didn't say that)" really out to be too obvious to mention.
A bug in a game is an instance of the game not working properly. By definition, fixing bugs means making the game work (more) properly. As I said before, this is a general statement that doesn't help with anything, because it doesn't highlight one particular thing that needs fixing. If I said "my car doesn't work properly", how useful is that statement? Which part of it doesn't work? Is there just one aspect that's broken somehow, or multiple issues? How are these things broken, and how should they work instead? There's nothing to go on, no piece of information which tells me what I should be looking at.

Really, the whole point of me working on Essentials at all is to make it better. I'm not going to purposely make it worse, am I? Making improvements and fixing bugs is the very core of my presence here, so if there's one thing that doesn't need to be suggested to me, it's to make improvements and fix bugs, particularly if you say it in such a general way as you did. It does go without saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokébook View Post
I did not know about that with the Pickup that you can put the items to the bag.
You would be quite easily able to edit the code to make this happen. As I said, though, Essentials tries to mimic the official games, so Pickup works like it does in the official games, i.e. the picked-up items become held items. I just gave you a suggestion of how you could adapt the ability to work more like the example you gave (wanting Pokémon holding an item to still be able to pick up items).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokébook View Post
Spoiler:
As I said I already read the whole wiki, the Wiki is not complete and you haven't explained the Pages of the Wiki exactly.
I know the wiki isn't up to date or complete. It's a big task. Everyone is free to update it, but no one does, either through laziness or assuming someone else will do it or because they don't know about the subject. Again, my time and attention are finite, and if I'm having to do it all myself, of course it's going to be slow progress. If you have suggestions for how the wiki can be improved (specific suggestions, please, not sweeping statements like "make it more user-friendly"), please do share them.

Essentials and the wiki are not intended to be used by complete newbies, which I think is reasonable. Anyone using them will be making a game, and that requires dedication and imagination and skills. You need to know how to use RMXP, for one - the wiki isn't going to explain that kind of thing. The wiki is also not going to describe in detail every single possible thing you could do with it, because that's an infinite amount of possibility and it'd just be ridiculous to expect that. No, it can explain the basics, and occasionally give the reader ideas of things they could customise, but if someone wants some outlandishly original feature, they ought to figure it out for themselves - they have imagination and dedication, and they should know how tough making a game can be, so they can either learn and achieve for themselves or they can compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokébook View Post
And Maruno I am not lazy, I am the opposite of lazy! I work everyday at my game.
I never said or implied you were lazy.



This is getting off-topic now. If you have something further to say, please do talk to me in PMs about it.
Reply With Quote
  #263    
Old April 16th, 2016 (3:29 PM).
tymime's Avatar
tymime tymime is offline
Action Gamemaster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Gender:
Nature: Adamant
Posts: 12
If and when walking with Pokémon is added (I know you've said it's low-priority), I think it would be nice if there was an option to use either HG/SS-style or Yellow-style- i.e. either the Pokémon on top or only your starter.
Hopefully that wouldn't make an already complex feature even more complicated.
SMILE DARN YA SMILE

http://tymime.deviantart.com/
http://www.eyedelonproductions.com/
Reply With Quote
  #264    
Old 4 Weeks Ago (5:16 PM).
Vendily's Avatar
Vendily Vendily is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Gender: Female
Nature: Calm
Posts: 442
Perhaps a way to order items and pokemon by number in the Editor/Debug selection.
Since evolutions of pokemon tend to be one after the other in pokedex number.
Resources for ROM hackers has moved.
Reply With Quote
  #265    
Old 4 Weeks Ago (7:56 PM).
Weedfanatic Weedfanatic is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 21
I'm not sure if any of these were mentioned, (probably were) but here is some things I think should be implemented.

-Touch Screen/Dual Screen (I think this one is pretty important, maybe some think other wise.)
I know this was already done for previous versions, but I think it would be good to add to the current.

-Debug Menu Quick Find?
I think something like this was mentioned already, but it would be SO useful.
Basically add a option at the start of the debug menu, that allows you to select the first letter of the name you're searching for. This would apply to Meta Data/Warp To Map/Add Item/ Add Pokemon, ect.
(I could understand if something like this might not be worth doing, but it sure would be useful.)

-Following Pokemon
I know this was added for previous versions, I think it would be a nice extra to add to the current.
I know there is an event added by default to essentials to allow a player to follow/team battle with you.
It would be nice to have something similar but for your lead pokemon to follow you. It's also a feature in most pokemon games, even Pokemon Yellow.

-Two sided trainer card
I'd assume this would be fairly easy to do. It feels like there should be a back to a trainer card with additional info/badges, or what ever would be most useful.

I can't really think of anything else that is more important at the moment.
If I think of anything else, I'll post.
Reply With Quote
  #266    
Old 4 Weeks Ago (10:27 PM).
mej71's Avatar
mej71 mej71 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Omnipresence
Gender: Male
Posts: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedfanatic View Post
I'm not sure if any of these were mentioned, (probably were) but here is some things I think should be implemented.

-Touch Screen/Dual Screen (I think this one is pretty important, maybe some think other wise.)
I know this was already done for previous versions, but I think it would be good to add to the current.

-Debug Menu Quick Find?
I think something like this was mentioned already, but it would be SO useful.
Basically add a option at the start of the debug menu, that allows you to select the first letter of the name you're searching for. This would apply to Meta Data/Warp To Map/Add Item/ Add Pokemon, ect.
(I could understand if something like this might not be worth doing, but it sure would be useful.)

-Following Pokemon
I know this was added for previous versions, I think it would be a nice extra to add to the current.
I know there is an event added by default to essentials to allow a player to follow/team battle with you.
It would be nice to have something similar but for your lead pokemon to follow you. It's also a feature in most pokemon games, even Pokemon Yellow.

-Two sided trainer card
I'd assume this would be fairly easy to do. It feels like there should be a back to a trainer card with additional info/badges, or what ever would be most useful.

I can't really think of anything else that is more important at the moment.
If I think of anything else, I'll post.
Touch Screen/Dual Screen already has a script, look up the Essentials D.S. Kit
Following Pokemon already has a script as well, of the same name, with the latest version made by me. It's fairly easy to install.
Reply With Quote
  #267    
Old 4 Weeks Ago (12:23 PM).
Maruno's Avatar
Maruno Maruno is offline
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England
Posts: 5,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendily View Post
Perhaps a way to order items and pokemon by number in the Editor/Debug selection.
Since evolutions of pokemon tend to be one after the other in pokedex number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedfanatic View Post
-Debug Menu Quick Find?
I think something like this was mentioned already, but it would be SO useful.
Basically add a option at the start of the debug menu, that allows you to select the first letter of the name you're searching for. This would apply to Meta Data/Warp To Map/Add Item/ Add Pokemon, ect.
(I could understand if something like this might not be worth doing, but it sure would be useful.)
Eh. You can use Page Up and Page Down to quickly scroll through any list. If you're looking for a thing in the list, you're going to know what it's called, and alphabetical order is perfectly understandable.
Reply With Quote
  #268    
Old 4 Weeks Ago (7:43 PM).
Weedfanatic Weedfanatic is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej71 View Post
Touch Screen/Dual Screen already has a script, look up the Essentials D.S. Kit
Following Pokemon already has a script as well, of the same name, with the latest version made by me. It's fairly easy to install.
Sorry, I made the mistake of over assuming, and this is not even the same project I was talking about. I thought this was essentially an MMO version being worked on. So none of those scripts will work in the MMO version. (which obviously makes sense, since it was not meant to work for it.

Maybe once I learn more, I'll be able to code/convert this type of stuff for the MMO version. Would be a fun challenge. I'm actually very surprised the MMO project is completely dead/not being worked on anymore?!

I will check out the D.S Kit out of curiosity, looks like there is a lot of nice stuff done.
I will likely never use it though, only because it's offline like v16.1, which I failed to realize. =/

You can ignore my entire previous post anyways, since it's not even related like I thought it was lol.. Sorry again for being off topic. I just didn't know/understand why, and that Pokemon Essentials is only being worked on as an offline/single player project these days. I assumed it was more like Pokémon MMO Kit 3.2.2. Assumption WRONG!
Reply With Quote
  #269    
Old 4 Weeks Ago (11:24 AM).
Rot8er_ConeX's Avatar
Rot8er_ConeX Rot8er_ConeX is offline
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: The Dissa Region
Gender: Male
Posts: 595
^ Base Essentials will likely always be an offline/single-player thing. Why? Because making a game online/multiplayer is not just adding in a few lines of code. It's also owning a server to handle all the bandwidth of players interacting, and you'd need one server for each game made with Essentials. As such, if a game wants online features, it's on the game-creator's end to provide them, not Maruno's.
Features of Pokemon Entropy

The black circular "doodles" in my avatar are actually my username written in Gallifreyan. Yes I'm a Whovian.
Reply With Quote
  #270    
Old 4 Weeks Ago (6:27 PM).
Weedfanatic Weedfanatic is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot8er_ConeX View Post
^ Base Essentials will likely always be an offline/single-player thing. Why? Because making a game online/multiplayer is not just adding in a few lines of code. It's also owning a server to handle all the bandwidth of players interacting, and you'd need one server for each game made with Essentials. As such, if a game wants online features, it's on the game-creator's end to provide them, not Maruno's.
The only reason I don't really agree with you, is because a lot of the code in v16.1 and PokeMMO Kit are very similar. Also, if you are making a server, it's pretty unlikely you're planning on making multiple servers, aside from maybe a server for testing purposes. Tool wise isn't the issue, it's code wise. I have all the tools needed, and you're right, it is up to me to have the tools. You can't use tools without the scripts/code for online functionality.

PokeMMo Kit basically is Essentials V16.1, aside from the fact, obviously there is networking/ online features in the MMO Kit, and V16.1 is still being developed to this day, while MMO Kit isn't. I'm sure there is a lot of changes/improvements code wise, but I see tons of very similarities between the two.

For me it really comes down to logic
-How hard would this be to do? (Not too hard "I'd assume" seeing the similarities in code, and it's already been done before.)
-How useful would it be as opposed to not be. (Pretty obvious it's more useful than less.)

I personally think it would make more sense to have a cross/option of offline/online. Would it really be that hard to implement both online and offline? I think it makes so much more sense to have the choice between online/offline, but that's simply my opinion. It just seems much more logical, even if it is more difficult to do.
By the way, I mean absolutely no disrespect in any way to this project, or anyone.
Reply With Quote
  #271    
Old 4 Weeks Ago (12:11 PM).
Maruno's Avatar
Maruno Maruno is offline
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England
Posts: 5,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedfanatic View Post
The only reason I don't really agree with you, is because a lot of the code in v16.1 and PokeMMO Kit are very similar. Also, if you are making a server, it's pretty unlikely you're planning on making multiple servers, aside from maybe a server for testing purposes. Tool wise isn't the issue, it's code wise. I have all the tools needed, and you're right, it is up to me to have the tools. You can't use tools without the scripts/code for online functionality.

PokeMMo Kit basically is Essentials V16.1, aside from the fact, obviously there is networking/ online features in the MMO Kit, and V16.1 is still being developed to this day, while MMO Kit isn't. I'm sure there is a lot of changes/improvements code wise, but I see tons of very similarities between the two.

For me it really comes down to logic
-How hard would this be to do? (Not too hard "I'd assume" seeing the similarities in code, and it's already been done before.)
-How useful would it be as opposed to not be. (Pretty obvious it's more useful than less.)

I personally think it would make more sense to have a cross/option of offline/online. Would it really be that hard to implement both online and offline? I think it makes so much more sense to have the choice between online/offline, but that's simply my opinion. It just seems much more logical, even if it is more difficult to do.
By the way, I mean absolutely no disrespect in any way to this project, or anyone.
Take a look at any of the main series Pokémon games, and you'll notice that they're not MMOs. They're single-player games, with (optional) limited connectivity aspects allowing interaction with other games. Since Essentials is about recreating the main series games (give or take), MMO elements don't belong in it.

When I think of MMOs, I think of chat windows and logging on to servers and multiple players walking around in the same map. Those kinds of things are what I'm against. When you say MMO, you might actually mean "battling and trading with other players", which are features which have been in every Pokémon game, and which obviously are on the list of things Essentials would like to have. I would argue that you shouldn't use the term "MMO" to describe this, because it can be interpreted in multiple ways.

For the foreseeable future, I personally have no interest in any kind of online connectivity. I'd rather get the stuff that already exists working well first. You're welcome to have a go at it yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #272    
Old 4 Weeks Ago (8:34 PM).
Weedfanatic Weedfanatic is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
Take a look at any of the main series Pokémon games, and you'll notice that they're not MMOs. They're single-player games, with (optional) limited connectivity aspects allowing interaction with other games. Since Essentials is about recreating the main series games (give or take), MMO elements don't belong in it.

When I think of MMOs, I think of chat windows and logging on to servers and multiple players walking around in the same map. Those kinds of things are what I'm against. When you say MMO, you might actually mean "battling and trading with other players", which are features which have been in every Pokémon game, and which obviously are on the list of things Essentials would like to have. I would argue that you shouldn't use the term "MMO" to describe this, because it can be interpreted in multiple ways.

For the foreseeable future, I personally have no interest in any kind of online connectivity. I'd rather get the stuff that already exists working well first. You're welcome to have a go at it yourself.
I agree with you about the term MMO, and that is exactly the way I intended it to be perceived. That's the only way that it would really make sense to use the term, as you've stated.
I understand you have no intention of going the MMO route right now, I just didn't know, or understand why.

I understand you want to keep/get Essentials as close to the official games as possible. Of course it's more important to get official features/code/bugs fixed, it's pretty obvious that's top priority.

What I don't understand is this.
-You say you want to add/finish/fix existing/current code/features. I agree that is most important.
-What if you finish those current/existing/official game features?
Basically I'm just asking if you ever plan to add MMO type of online functionality to Essentials or not.
Just a straight yes or no would be nice, I'm just confused in the long term intentions for Essentials.
At any point in development do you plan this type of online functionality, or never ever?

Me have a go at it? Trust me, I'm no where near ready/knowledgeable to do such a task.
Don't think I'm acting like I know everything, it's actually quite the opposite for me when it comes to Essentials.
I'm pretty new with it in general, and couldn't even do anything close to what you have done.
I just wanted to clear that part up, because it seems like you think I'm saying I would be able to do that.
I would however like to get to that point in the future though.

I mean no disrespect to you, but the way you respond to people sometimes, is a little rude/condescending assumptive.
I personally could care less, because I don't get sensitive or offended easy, especially over the internet.. xD
I honestly haven't noticed this too much with you between our posts, but in response to others, it's definitely apparent at times. You do seem like a nice, intelligent person though, and maybe you just act/respond very directly. I don't know, it's just the way you word things some times.
Reply With Quote
  #273    
Old 3 Weeks Ago (10:22 AM).
Maruno's Avatar
Maruno Maruno is offline
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England
Posts: 5,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedfanatic View Post
Basically I'm just asking if you ever plan to add MMO type of online functionality to Essentials or not.
Just a straight yes or no would be nice, I'm just confused in the long term intentions for Essentials.
At any point in development do you plan this type of online functionality, or never ever?
Never. That's simply not what Essentials is about. The closest you'll get is a third-party spin-off pack, if someone bothers to make one.
Reply With Quote
  #274    
Old 3 Weeks Ago (6:51 PM).
Weedfanatic Weedfanatic is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
Never. That's simply not what Essentials is about. The closest you'll get is a third-party spin-off pack, if someone bothers to make one.
Alright, thanks for confirming that. I can stop being off topic now!
Reply With Quote
  #275    
Old 1 Week Ago (3:10 PM).
Jefries's Avatar
Jefries Jefries is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Gender: Male
Posts: 59
I'm doubtful of saying this since there are templates but I think since it is "Essentials" it would be good to have maybe that template from newtiteuf at least. (I just don't have anything to do, waiting to buy rpg maker so I can make a thread on my project so that I can start working with a group....and I want to contribute to the PokeCommunity in some way. The things I've created are not worthy of being shared >.<)
Reply With Quote
Reply Post Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


  All times are GMT -8. The time now is 7:17 AM.


Contact Us Archive Privacy Statement Terms of Service Top