• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Shiny Lock Speculation

Pinta77

I hope this is an ok section to put this in. This may apply to black 2 and white 2 as well, I don't knwo if the shiny locks are on that game.

As you may or may not know, Zekrom, Reshiram, and Victini are shiny locked on pokemon black and white version. This means that Zekrom, Reshiram, and Victini cannot be found in shiny form by legitimate means.

ZekromShiny.gif
ReshiramShiny.gif
VictiniShiny.gif

Why do you think this is? and explain. I have 2 theories.

My first theory was that perhaps if a player managed to encounter a shiny Reshiram or Zekrom, it would kind of mess up the story. Zekrom being black and Reshiram being white was sort of an important part of the story. However after looking at the shiny sprites, they are not as differently colored as I originally thought, and I think that if a player somehow encountered a shiny one, the story could go on just fine.

My second theory is a bit simpler. I think that maybe nintendo is planning on releasing shiny Reshiram, Zekrom, and/or Victini in a future event. And perhaps the shiny lock was a way to make them a bit more special when/if they are released.

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
Years
My theory is that they did it so there would be a distinction between hacked and legitimate Pokemon in the GTS.

It's a major help to traders imo.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
My theory is that they did it so there would be a distinction between hacked and legitimate Pokemon in the GTS.

It's a major help to traders imo.

Shiny ones can't even put up on the GTS.

Pinta77

Oh, I also forgot to mention that I did actually send in an email about this because I was very curious. Interestingly enough, this was my response.

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana]Hello,

[/FONT]

Thanks for contacting us. As our resident PokéManiac, I can certainly understand your concerns about these Pokémon. I know this isn't what you were hoping to hear, but we do not have an answer about whether these legendary Pokémon can be found as Shiny Pokémon. While I would like to answer your question, we just don't have this information.

While we weren't able to provide the information you were looking for, I wish you the best of luck in playing your game!

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana]Sincerely,

[/FONT]

Alex Schuster
Nintendo of America Inc.

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana]For the latest information on the upcoming Wii U console, visit our website at http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu.

[/FONT]

The secretiveness behind it all is what makes me think we'll be seeing them soon.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Well if Celebi is any indicator, we could never see them.

I don't really have any definite ideas or theories about Reshiram and Zekrom, but Victini has something in common with Entralink Pokemon (which are also shiny-locked); it's injected into your game and placed in a location as an interactive Pokemon. Which makes me believe that any interactive Pokemon either spawned through outside injection or an event like Reshirams/Zekroms were either chosen to all be shiny-locked, or there is a coding issue with the way their PIDs are generated that prevents them from being shiny. Hidden Hollow Pokemon also are shiny-locked and are randomly generated interactive Pokemon.

Stationary legendaries are also interactive, but their spawns are different. Comparing them is like comparing a Pokemon fished from regular water and one from rippling pools.

Pinta77

Uh oh, that's a good point. The only reason I think it's different is because this is the first time pokemon are blantantly shiny locked in game. You could never get a shiny celebi or jirachi was because you couldn't encounter it in game, where as Zekrom and Reshiram are encountered wild in the game, but can't be found shiny. =(

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Oh, I also forgot to mention that I did actually send in an email about this because I was very curious. Interestingly enough, this was my response.

The secretiveness behind it all is what makes me think we'll be seeing them soon.

Its not really them being secretive. They just literally don't know. Gamefreak put the lock on them and the American branch for Nintendo only handles distribution and translation. They don't do any real development and can't even answer basic questions about their product without having to email the main branch of Nintendo in Japan.

It was like watching that video of the Nintendo guy at E3. He tried to sound secretive but you could see how little he actually knew about what was going on. He even made the comment, "I don't even know what they'll have for me when I get back to the office next week."

Anyone out of the main branch and not part of the development team doesn't really know anything about anything when it concerns their games. They know about as much as we do. Some of our members may even know more than Nintendo representatives do.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I never knew that these three Pokemon were shiny locked....then in this case they should make all legendary Pokemon shiny locked because I am so tired of seeing shiny legendary Pokemon on the GTS and I won't be able to get them due to these people wanting a Pokemon lv 9 or under.

My second theory is a bit simpler. I think that maybe nintendo is planning on releasing shiny Reshiram, Zekrom, and/or Victini in a future event. And perhaps the shiny lock was a way to make them a bit more special when/if they are released.

I can agree with this statement. If Genesect is shiny locked then for the next Pokemon movie (the one with Genesect) maybe that will be a shiny legendary give a way. If they were to make an event for Victini, Reshiram and Zekrom, what would it be based on, unless if they are in the 16th Pokemon movie (thats the only thing I can think of as of now)

:t354:TG

Ammako

Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
^ Making all legendaries shiny-locked just because you can't obtain them by yourself... Sounds pretty selfish to me.

Also, there's no way next movie's Genesect event would not be shiny, really.

I don't really have any definite ideas or theories about Reshiram and Zekrom, but Victini has something in common with Entralink Pokemon (which are also shiny-locked); it's injected into your game and placed in a location as an interactive Pokemon. Which makes me believe that any interactive Pokemon either spawned through outside injection or an event like Reshirams/Zekroms were either chosen to all be shiny-locked, or there is a coding issue with the way their PIDs are generated that prevents them from being shiny. Hidden Hollow Pokemon also are shiny-locked and are randomly generated interactive Pokemon.

Stationary legendaries are also interactive, but their spawns are different. Comparing them is like comparing a Pokemon fished from regular water and one from rippling pools.

Victini isn't injected into your game.
You merely receive the Liberty Pass, which is used to access Liberty Island, all of which was hardcoded into the game from the start.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I think it is bad that they are doing this to in game Pokemon now. I understand that they dont want Wondercard Pokemon to be shiny unless they set it to be, but I dont know how to feel about applying it to Pokemon in game. Im dissapointed I could not get these legendaries shiny. I do agree that Game Freak is probably annoyed by RNG abusers but this seems a bit much and is kind of an unfair thing to do to the many other players that like shinies and never RNG abuse, like myself, although, this dosent discourage RNG abuse any more really, people will still do it. I hope this kinda thing wont be in Gen 6, but I have a feeling it probably will. I cant really guess any real reason they did this other than that, I hope they will give us a shiny Reshiram/Zekrom and Victini event in the future, but Im not getting my hopes up.

Ammako

Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
^ Several Wondercards can be shiny while not being 100% set to be shiny.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
^ Several Wondercards can be shiny while not being 100% set to be shiny.

I remember reading that somewhere, which ones were those o.o

I still hate the whole concept of it. I dont understand what the problem with these Pokemon being shiny is to Game Freak.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
It really is a shame, because those three are such beautiful shinies. I really have no idea what could be the reason behind shiny-locking them. Why those three, and why shiny lock at all? It's a real shame; I do hope we get them as events eventually.

Pinta77

Maybe this shiny lock was a way to test methods to block cheat codes. Cause I heard that some people froze their game when they used the shiny code on zekrom or reshiram.

Back