• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help & Advice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
Help! I have had trouble with constipation for a long time. I've tried everything my doctor has suggested, nothing helps. I've tried:

Fruits and Veggies
Probiotics
Laxatives
Medicines that are all natural(not laxatives)
home remedies

I've basically tried about everything there is to try. What am I doing wrong? Or do I have IBS?

Years
Help! I have had trouble with constipation for a long time. I've tried everything my doctor has suggested, nothing helps. I've tried:

Fruits and Veggies
Probiotics
Laxatives
home remedies

I've basically tried about everything there is to try. What am I doing wrong? Or do I have IBS?

As with all medical issues you're far better off consulting a medical professional than people on PC.
If your current doctor can't help, try a new one.

Anyway, I had this at one point. It actually got to the point where it was nearly a serious medical issue.
I recommend parachoc (it's more aimed at kids and tastes awful, but it works) or paralax and prunes. Lots of prunes.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Help. I need help.

I am discovering that my mother is actively manipulating me on a day-to-day basis, and I don't know how to stop it. She's taking advantage of how I get over things really easily and don't hold grudges and I don't know how to prevent her from reeling me back in and abusing me. She loses her mind whenever I try to reconcile and fix problems, because she thinks it's okay to do whatever she can get away with and give me the finger for personal respect because she can. She's the type of person that does the bare minimum for everything and only goes the extra mile so she can brag about it. She's not very intelligent and is both incredibly selfish and in denial about all of her personal deficits. I know what she's doing: She gets angry with me when I try to reconcile her poor behaviour (such as being blatantly inconsiderate of me sleeping in the living room, waking me up and expecting me to deal with it), and later she pulls me back with hope and potential in order to get me to act and basically swindle the product of my applied aptitude. I don't know how to stop her from doing it, and even as she's my mother I could give less than a **** about loving her given her awful behaviour - I need a way to detach from her emotionally so she doesn't abuse me and take advantage of me anymore. She doesn't ever do anything she doesn't want to and doesn't have to, and destroys whatever she can to get what she wants. I need help, very badly. I've already had experience detaching from my other parent, but that was through moving in with the other one and I don't know how to detach for myself. I'm financially ensnared by her with no obligations outside of the house, and she's using me for her own benefit. I need it to stop, for my own sake. I don't want her to take advantage of me anymore.

Konekodemon

Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
As with all medical issues you're far better off consulting a medical professional than people on PC.
If your current doctor can't help, try a new one.

Anyway, I had this at one point. It actually got to the point where it was nearly a serious medical issue.
I recommend parachoc (it's more aimed at kids and tastes awful, but it works) or paralax and prunes. Lots of prunes.

I've been seeing different doctors for 10 years and none of them could figure out what's causing it. So this time, no, I'm not better off talking with a doctor. No doctor knows what to do.

Kyoe

working on it
Years

Fruits and Veggies
Probiotics
Laxatives
home remedies

Have you talked to a dietitian? Irregularities with your stool might be caused by something you've been eating.

Help. I need help.

I am discovering that my mother is actively manipulating me on a day-to-day basis, and I don't know how to stop it. She's taking advantage of how I get over things really easily and don't hold grudges and I don't know how to prevent her from reeling me back in and abusing me. She loses her mind whenever I try to reconcile and fix problems, because she thinks it's okay to do whatever she can get away with and give me the finger for personal respect because she can. She's the type of person that does the bare minimum for everything and only goes the extra mile so she can brag about it. She's not very intelligent and is both incredibly selfish and in denial about all of her personal deficits. I know what she's doing: She gets angry with me when I try to reconcile her poor behaviour (such as being blatantly inconsiderate of me sleeping in the living room, waking me up and expecting me to deal with it), and later she pulls me back with hope and potential in order to get me to act and basically swindle the product of my applied aptitude. I don't know how to stop her from doing it, and even as she's my mother I could give less than a **** about loving her given her awful behaviour - I need a way to detach from her emotionally so she doesn't abuse me and take advantage of me anymore. She doesn't ever do anything she doesn't want to and doesn't have to, and destroys whatever she can to get what she wants. I need help, very badly. I've already had experience detaching from my other parent, but that was through moving in with the other one and I don't know how to detach for myself. I'm financially ensnared by her with no obligations outside of the house, and she's using me for her own benefit. I need it to stop, for my own sake. I don't want her to take advantage of me anymore.

Alex, let me give you some advice. Calm down.
I've had differences with my mom before too. I still do. But disagreeing doesn't change the fact that she's your mother.
You know, sometimes it can be hard. Especially as you get older and start to develop you own ideals, and perspectives. Sometimes it can be really scary to a parent when it starts to seem like you can take care of yourself. Even more so when you have such differing personalities.
My advice is to just talk to her more. Don't 'call her out' on her 'behavior'. Just talk to her calmly. Maybe you'll gain some new understanding of why she's acting like she is. Maybe she'll start to understand you more.
I want you to remember though, when you close a parent out it causes a lot of pain and sadness. For both of you. Some bridges are best left unburned.

Reactions: £

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Alex, let me give you some advice. Calm down.
I've had differences with my mom before too. I still do. But disagreeing doesn't change the fact that she's your mother.
You know, sometimes it can be hard. Especially as you get older and start to develop you own ideals, and perspectives. Sometimes it can be really scary to a parent when it starts to seem like you can take care of yourself. Even more so when you have such differing personalities.
My advice is to just talk to her more. Don't 'call her out' on her 'behavior'. Just talk to her calmly. Maybe you'll gain some new understanding of why she's acting like she is. Maybe she'll start to understand you more.
I want you to remember though, when you close a parent out it causes a lot of pain and sadness. For both of you. Some bridges are best left unburned.
I have since been stopping myself from trying to reconcile her poor behaviour in any sort of fashion, nice or otherwise. As far as approaching her on it, I try to be polite about it and given I don't hold grudges for things I rarely approach a problem of hers with any preconceived ideas. I try to work with her, she brushes me off, I question that, she gets angry, it's all downhill from there. Also, as far as questioning parents go, I know a lot of people may disagree with that philosophy but it's something she agreed with, and it's something I would as a parent as well. (I'd rather reason with my child to explain why he/she can't do something than just tell him/her he can't and leave it.)

I don't talk to her about her mistakes anymore, and I mostly just leave them be. I wait for her to leave each morning and I go about my day, and hopefully I can get a hold of a better mindset over this situation than what I have currently. I'm really bothered by her attempts to train a dog we're borrowing in exchange for a washing machine, what with her naïvely expecting the dog to understand her human language as opposed to it's language; on top of that, I fear she's unsure even of what she wants with that dog. Admittedly, at times I try to tell her how I handle the dog to get him to do what I want, and I leave it beyond that, but maybe she's not listening or thinks she knows better or what, since her execution of my presented advice is riddled with holes. In light of all this, I'm just going to abstain where I can. I have a lot of disdain for her behaviour and I'm going to allow it to make me neutral to her as opposed to negative. Even after all my father has done to me I still talk to him over the phone, but never have I been naïve enough to allow him to manipulate me in any way as he did before. I'm sure I could approach doing the same with her. I don't like her behaviour, and I don't like a lot of her. She's very emotionally unhappy where I see no reason to be, consumes godawful amounts of caffeine to even be able to get out of bed, smokes like a train, and wants to quit all of that but can't. I suppose I have a bit of pity for her situation, but then again when I try turning that pity into help she hates it and burns my hand. So I have to stop that.

I don't think I'm going to end up removing her from my life at any point - I'm not going to be cold about our life together. But I cannot continue to be warm and chummy with her like I have in the past, and for now I leave that to others who like me, others who I care about. Admittedly I get nervous a lot, and the slightest confrontation with something completely unrelated has me shaking in knots (my anxiety), and admittedly I am a bit bipolar, but it's by no means unmanageable and I'm not going to allow a pill to fill a void in my life that I could myself without it. I think it's fine, thank you for your advice.

Konekodemon

Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
A what? What's a dietitian? I've never heard of such a thing. Whatever it is.

Kyoe

working on it
Years
I have since been stopping myself from trying to reconcile her poor behaviour in any sort of fashion, nice or otherwise. As far as approaching her on it, I try to be polite about it and given I don't hold grudges for things I rarely approach a problem of hers with any preconceived ideas. I try to work with her, she brushes me off, I question that, she gets angry, it's all downhill from there. Also, as far as questioning parents go, I know a lot of people may disagree with that philosophy but it's something she agreed with, and it's something I would as a parent as well. (I'd rather reason with my child to explain why he/she can't do something than just tell him/her he can't and leave it.)

I don't talk to her about her mistakes anymore, and I mostly just leave them be. I wait for her to leave each morning and I go about my day, and hopefully I can get a hold of a better mindset over this situation than what I have currently. I'm really bothered by her attempts to train a dog we're borrowing in exchange for a washing machine, what with her naïvely expecting the dog to understand her human language as opposed to it's language; on top of that, I fear she's unsure even of what she wants with that dog. Admittedly, at times I try to tell her how I handle the dog to get him to do what I want, and I leave it beyond that, but maybe she's not listening or thinks she knows better or what, since her execution of my presented advice is riddled with holes. In light of all this, I'm just going to abstain where I can. I have a lot of disdain for her behaviour and I'm going to allow it to make me neutral to her as opposed to negative. Even after all my father has done to me I still talk to him over the phone, but never have I been naïve enough to allow him to manipulate me in any way as he did before. I'm sure I could approach doing the same with her. I don't like her behaviour, and I don't like a lot of her. She's very emotionally unhappy where I see no reason to be, consumes godawful amounts of caffeine to even be able to get out of bed, smokes like a train, and wants to quit all of that but can't. I suppose I have a bit of pity for her situation, but then again when I try turning that pity into help she hates it and burns my hand. So I have to stop that.

I don't think I'm going to end up removing her from my life at any point - I'm not going to be cold about our life together. But I cannot continue to be warm and chummy with her like I have in the past, and for now I leave that to others who like me, others who I care about. Admittedly I get nervous a lot, and the slightest confrontation with something completely unrelated has me shaking in knots (my anxiety), and admittedly I am a bit bipolar, but it's by no means unmanageable and I'm not going to allow a pill to fill a void in my life that I could myself without it. I think it's fine, thank you for your advice.

Hmm, sorry I couldn't help more. I won't try to push any certain perspective on you, though.
Maybe this is something that you need to work out for yourself? I've had problems before that I could never solve until I came to a sort of realization, of my own volition. Hopefully in time everything will become clear to you, or you'll work it out.

Kind of like a doctor that focuses on food and eating habits. Read the wikipedia page for it, right here.

Years
I just losted all trust on people since two years ago, I decided to don't make any friends until I find people that understands me. I could write a lot about of this, But I just want to make a question (If you guys need I can detail my situation more). Should I lie to everybody to look more "normal" or I just need to be myself?

People will tell you to be honest, but that is not quite the right thing to do.

Answer to any "what should I do" kind of question will always be the same for me. It is UNIVERSAL

Do what you think is right and what makes you feel right, as long as it's not hurting anyone or compromising someone's welfare

I could tell so much about myself to people and about what I want to do, but I only sum it up into something simple and non-exposing, to the point where you could call it a lie, but it isnt (Im talking about people who I dont know very well and are not close friends of mine). It's just truth, extremely simplified. You know why? Cos I feel like its the right thing to do. Cos I am not obligated to say everything. Cos Im not hurting anyone by not saying everything. Cos I dont want to.
And it'll stay that way for as long as I want and need.

And that's what you should do too.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
I really hate to post this here, but...I don't really have anywhere else to turn to.

So, I don't feel comfortable living with my mother and her boyfriend anymore. A few days back, I started an argument with my mother because she was telling my four-year-old niece and four-year-old sister that my older sister (who is almost twenty-one years old) is a prostitute and goes around selling herself. Obviously, there's really no justification for telling two small children things like that, so I stepped in and told her she really shouldn't be filling their heads with it. As usual, everything I say is turned into a smart-remark with her, and it quickly got heated. My mom really cannot have ANY conversation with me without yelling or calling me names and attempting to belittle me with insults to my sexual orientation.

Anyway, we went on for a few minutes (this is not the first time, either; we argue almost every week now) and her boyfriend (the father of my aforementioned little sister) stepped in and began pushing and shoving me while also screaming in my face and calling me names. This has never happened before, but lately I can sense that they are more hostile towards me for whatever reason (honestly, I really just think that both of them simply dislike me). It's been getting worse and worse since we moved, with my mom getting drunk every night and such. I'm really afraid of what could happen if we have another argument. I just really don't feel safe anymore.

I have a grandmother in Kentucky who I could live with, but I don't think she is financially able to support the both of us. I also would want to burden her, plus I've already made really good friends here that I don't with to leave behind after having to do that so much in life already. That being said, I also have a really good friend whose mom is like the one I never really had who I'm sure would gladly let me stay with her. The problem is that legally, I'm not sure if that is even allowed.

Any advice?

I know I'm not in the wost situation, but I'm no longer being supplied with clothes, real food, or any other necessities, some before and some after our argument. She basically disowned me without kicking me out.
You may want to consider calling child protective services if your mother's boyfriend is physically assaulting you or if you feel like your siblings are being neglected or improperly cared for. Their number for Ohio is 1-855-OH-CHILD. You can read more here. Keep in mind this is a pretty major thing to do and that it could impact your life significantly, but it sounds like it may be for the best. I can't judge that, though, only you can.

That's awful. There are options to get away and such, but in full time education/at 15 it's hard to have much control of how that'll go.

I think it's obligatory to go to school until 18 in America? I'd guess that you're there until June 2017? I have a friend in America who wasn't in a good family situation either (again, sexuality related to it), and after he turned 16, he learned to drive, got a job and barely spent any of his time at home other than to sleep there when things got tough for him at home. I'm not sure how feasible that is for you, and your situation sounds worse. But said friend is in a happier place now. It depends just how much you can handle, really.

It's good that you're willing to be open about issues like this, as you won't simply be letting it get pent up to the point where you can't handle it and let it explode. More mature than I was when when I was your age, that's for certain! Do your best to keep a level head and assess your situation/wellbeing well. When you're inevitably dealing with ****, do everything you can to make it as bearable as you can. If there's no way you're going to hold together in your current situation, then do your research very carefully about what you're legally entitled to.

All I can say is gl, other than that.
Like I mentioned, CPS can help if it's bad enough, and there's also the legal concept of emancipation, but that usually requires that you have the means to provide for yourself, which most people don't at age 15.

A dietitian is a specialist in nutrition. Keep in mind that many people who call themselves that have no professional background to speak of, however. If you do seek one out, make sure they actually know what they're talking about. Talk to your doctor to make sure they're not full of it.

You may also want to make sure you have a source of fiber. I'm guessing you've already checked this, since it's the first thing any competent doctor would ask, but I think it's still worth mentioning. Many people in first world countries are chronically low on fiber and this can severely affect your digestion in a variety of negative ways. I have a particularly poor digestive system, so I take Metamucil cookies as a fiber supplement. I find that taking two cookies (one individually wrapped package) with each meal significantly helps with my digestion. The difference is night and day: if I don't take it, I have a lot of problems; if I do take it, I have almost none. I can't guarantee that a lack of fiber is your problem, but it's one of the biggest and most common factors associated with digestion problems.

You should be able to find Metamucil in the vitamin supplement section of your store, even though it's technically food. The only problem I have with it is that it's not cheap, but it's worth the price for the significant quality of life improvement to me. They also have a powder that you can mix into a drink, which I've never tried because my drink of choice is water and I doubt it would taste good mixed in.

I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but I would recommend seeking professional help for this problem. It may also be that she needs professional help, but I suspect she would probably be even more unwilling to seek it.

I will say this, though. You have to do what's right for you. Your whole life should not revolve around her needs. You only have one life to live and while I generally think you should help family when possible, I don't think that applies when they're dragging your entire life down in the process. Keep in mind that living on your own isn't easy either, but it sounds like it might be a much better environment for you and well worth the associated costs.

Last edited:

Kyoe

working on it
Years
A dietitian is a specialist in nutrition. Keep in mind that many people who call themselves that have no professional background to speak of, however. If you do seek one out, make sure they actually know what they're talking about. Talk to your doctor to make sure they're not full of it.

Not to split hairs on you pal, but a dietitian is legally required to have some professional prerequisites, and specializes in dietetics. A Nutritionist is likely what you're thinking of when you say they mostly don't have professional backgrounds or experience, since the title itself is not legally protected (everywhere).

In other words, though it's doubtless that there are unscrupulous Dietitians out there, usually they are indeed professionals.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years

Fruits and Veggies
Probiotics
Laxatives
home remedies

Stress and tension can contribute. Make sure you're at least getting 25-30g of fiber in your diet, drink lots of water. Sometimes diuretics can help (coffee) but make sure you're drinking double the amount of water than you are caffiene.

Vitamin C also helps.

I wouldn't recommend laxatives as your body can become dependent on them to even pass a bowel movement.

You could have IBS. I've had a similar problem since being a kid with constipation. I find stress is a big factor. Having a routine can really help. A bath helps muscles relax and I need to be completely alone or I get nervous about people overhearing and I can't go.

Just some tips of my own.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
I'm depressed. And I'm tired of it. I just want to do something and go somewhere to a place that nobody knows me and try to make a living. I was thinking about trying to go to Australia, and get a work visa, and stay there for a few years. After that just go around teaching English in foreign countries for a while. I just want to stop being bored. I just want to stop being so damn socially awkward and be able to express myself properly. I want to stop replaying every little thing in my head over and over again. Is that too much to ask for?

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
Years
I'm depressed. And I'm tired of it. I just want to do something and go somewhere to a place that nobody knows me and try to make a living. I was thinking about trying to go to Australia, and get a work visa, and stay there for a few years. After that just go around teaching English in foreign countries for a while. I just want to stop being bored. I just want to stop being so damn socially awkward and be able to express myself properly. I want to stop replaying every little thing in my head over and over again. Is that too much to ask for?

I know how you feel. I feel ridiculously bored every single day, regardless of what happens. It's gotten worse the past few years.
Try getting into social situations more; it'll help you improve
Replaying things won't help (unless you do in fact figure out a better solution)

But don't down yourself! You have all of the potential in the world to be happy

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
I know how you feel. I feel ridiculously bored every single day, regardless of what happens. It's gotten worse the past few years.
Try getting into social situations more; it'll help you improve
Replaying things won't help (unless you do in fact figure out a better solution)

But don't down yourself! You have all of the potential in the world to be happy

I can't even if I try. It's hard to explain without revealing the situation I'm in, I'm kust stuck.
Replaying things is the only thing I can do at this point, tbh. I just never imagined myself to be in this situation, ever. I didn't think things through and now I'm stuck aha. I had the potential is more like it aha.

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
Years
I can't even if I try. It's hard to explain without revealing the situation I'm in, I'm kust stuck.
Replaying things is the only thing I can do at this point, tbh. I just never imagined myself to be in this situation, ever. I didn't think things through and now I'm stuck aha. I had the potential is more like it aha.

Instead of replaying things, just focus on the now and how to get through each current situation.
I'd recommend The Happy Place on the Pokemon Showdown main server; it's a very helpful place for this type of stuff

Years

Take a week and do absolutely nothing that would be stressful or hard. let your brain and mind take a break, from everything. I dont think I need to go any deeper on why and whatnot, so I'll just say what i think might help you.
And dont think "oh but I could do something useful in a week". Lets face it, you won't, as long as something is blocking you. You have entire life ahead of you, one week of doing nothing wont hurt your productivity at all. So take a week off.

Next, after a week or so, find groups, associations, workshops, or anything of that kind that is anyhow connected to anything you like or are interested in. Join them. Dont feel pressured, just come to a meeting or something and see how it goes. You probably dont know those people and vice versa, so it doesnt matter what you did or didnt do before. if you dont feel comfortable with your past or current life, and they start asking questions, just give them some genral information, do NOT feel pressured, as if you had to explain yourself.
Trust me, EVERYONE does this, and it is ALRIGHT.

Im no expert on this, but I dont think change will just hapen out of nowehere. Allow your body to get some time off, then try with new stuff.

Years

Do anything but replaying things. I kind of disagree with the other advice here; I'd advocate that you do something that makes you uncomfortable. Things don't enter your comfort zone so much as you expand your comfort zone to include them. If you just avoid things that make you uncomfortable, then your comfort zone will shrink over time and that's hurting you in the long run. Make some short term pain for long term gain.

Kyoe

working on it
Years

Sometimes it rains, and clouds cover the sun. But that doesn't mean the sun is gone. In fact, if you look up at the sky you can still see where it is. Now the words are a bit corny I'll admit, but the message is important. Sometimes we're sad, sometimes we get the blues, it's human. But the important thing to remember is that it doesn't mean the world is ending. Tomorrow will come, the sun will rise. And even though it might be raining now, just think about how great it will feel when it stops. :D

Kanzl sort of has the right idea, too!
Be confident, get out there into the world and try something new. Sometimes it just takes discomfort to make you comfortable. And, you might just find something new that you really like!

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I'm having a bit of a problem regarding my future relationship. One of my female online friends, as well as her sister, are interested in sleeping with me (she views me as her friend with benefits). At first I felt excited, but I soon had second thoughts. I feared that if I eventually get a girlfriend and learned that I've slept with another woman before her, she'll leave me right at the moment, having me fear in shame of being forever alone for doing such a thing. The two sisters think it's nonsense and told me to stop worrying about the future and start worrying about the present and that I can still get myself a girlfriend regardless if I slept with someone before. But I don't which advice I should believe: My own advice or theirs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back