• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Hitmonlee or Hitmonchan ?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I always choose Hitmonlee because Hitmonchan freaks me out. What kind of a Pokémon really grows boxing gloves as part of its flesh? It's a creepy Pokémon for that reason and not one that I enjoy using as a result! Hitmonlee on the other hand can kick you into a coma which is pretty cool, right?

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
First playthrough I chose Lee because I liked Bruce Lee but then when I got into breeding and found out it was harder to get a chan through evolution I chose Hitmonchan so it wouldnt be as hard getting a hitmon lee.

Spr_1y_107.png
Spr_1y_106.png
Spr_2s_237.png
Spr_2s_236.png

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I always lean towards Hitmonchan, you have all these types of punches it can learn, like Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, etc. I find it extremely helpful in battles when it comes to Hitmonchan, so I always choose it.

Years
I love Hitmonlee. It is way better IMO. THe design is cooler and it has better stats yeah i just always picked it. Hitmonchan may be more useful in-game because of the elemental punches but i still prefer Hitmonlee. Maybe I'm sentimental because it was the first fighting type Pokemon i really liked...

Years
I've always picked Hitmochan since I was a kid. I loved his design, plus how good he can be if you know how to use him properly. He also has the elemental punches to boost, putting at a disadvantage most types that go up against him.

Alloute

Cat Burglar
Years
In Leaf Green I chose Hitmonlee just cuz I felt like it and in Fire Red I chose Hitmonchan in order to complete the set. I don't really care for either Hitmonlee or Hitmonchan so I didn't even use them in battle lol.

Ari Niko

Sincerity
Years
I never liked the way Hitmonlee looked, so I always went for Hitmonchan. When raising a Tyrogue egg, though, I normally go for Hitmontop.

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
Years
I picked Hitmonchan on FireRed and Hitmonlee on LeafGreen (If I remember correctly), so I would have both. I never used them on my main team, but that might change when I finish the Pokedex and I play through the region with different Pokemon.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
hitmonchan was unfortunately gimped as there is no gen4 physical/special split, so its elemental punches come off its sp atk which is much weaker than gen4 hitmonchan. sad really, otherwise hitmonchan is a rock solid option.

Mentalii

Back
Years
I always prefered Hitmonlee. I don't know why. Maybe it's because that I tend to think kicks hurt more than punches...

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
Years
Hitmons is a fan term used to refer to the three evolutions of Tyrogue (Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan and Hitmontop). The name comes from the prefix shared by all three Pokémon, hitmon. The Hitmons all have low HP, high Attack, high Special Defense, average Defense, average Speed, and low Special Attack. All the Hitmons are male and are pure Fighting type. The Japanese equivalent of the hitmon. In the Nintendo Player's Guide for Pokémon Stadium 2, they were referred to as the Tyrogue squadron.

107.png
Hitmonchan :
107.png

Hitmonchan evolves from Tyrogue when Tyrogue's Attack is lower than his Defense. Hitmonchan's most notable ability is his wide versatility in boxing--his major attacks are almost all punches, such as Bullet Punch, Sky Uppercut and the three elemental punches. In Generation IV, he also had an Ability exclusive to himself: Iron Fist, which increases the base power of punching moves.
Hitmonchan is a tan colored, human-shaped Pokémon. His body resembles a light purple tunic with a skirt and fists that resemble red boxing gloves. His enlarged shoulders give the appearance of shoulder pads, while his purple feet give the appearance of a pair of boxer shoes. Unlike his parallel evolution, Hitmonlee, he has a mouth and a visible separation between body and head. His English name contains a reference of Jackie Chan, while his Japanese name is derived from Japanese world champion boxer, Hiroyuki Ebihara.
In Red, Blue, and Yellow, as well as FireRed and LeafGreen, Hitmonchan can be chosen as one of the prizes for beating the Fighting Dojo in Saffron City. In other generations, he is obtained by evolving Tyrogue.

106.png
Hitmonlee :
106.png

Hitmonlee evolves from Tyrogue when Tyrogue's Attack is higher than his Defense. Hitmonlee knows several kick-based moves, including his former signature moves Mega Kick, Jump Kick, and High Jump Kick, and the rarely seen Blaze Kick. His leg muscles have the special ability to freely stretch and compress. In Generation IV, he had an Ability exclusive to himself: Reckless, which increases the base power of moves that can deal recoil damage.
Hitmonlee is a brown colored, human-shaped Pokémon. He has three-fingered hands and three claw-like toes, and has segmented, cream-colored arms and legs. Hitmonlee has almond-shaped eyes with black rings around them and appears to lack a nose, mouth, and neck. His English name contains a reference of Bruce Lee, while his Japanese name is derived from the world's first kickboxer, Tadashi Sawamura.
In Red, Blue, and Yellow, as well as FireRed and LeafGreen, Hitmonlee can be chosen as one of the prizes for beating the Fighting Dojo in Saffron City. In later generations, he is obtained by evolving Tyrogue.​

My suggestion :

Hitmonchan
Fighting
Keen Eye or
Iron Fist
Hidden: Inner Focus
Evolve if Defense
is higher than Attack
HP Atk Def SpA SpD Spd
50 105 79 35 110 76

And

Hitmonlee

Fighting
Limber or
Reckless
Hidden: Unburden
Evolve if Attack
is higher than Defense
HP Atk Def SpA SpD Spd
50 120 53 35 110 87

I will say if you choose Hitmonlee it will be great and better then Hitmonchan cause Hitmonchan is Lower in attack then Hitmonlee and some stuffs has some little Reference

Hitmonlee stat :

HP Atk Def SpA SpD Spd
50 120 53 35 110 87

and Hitmonchan stat :

HP Atk Def SpA SpD Spd
50 105 79 35 110 76

So you can see the different in attack and speed but if you think Hitmonchan is better so go choose it and don't think Hitmonchan is bad moth are powerful ;p

Agous

Solid Mercury?
Years
Most Definitely Hitmonlee:

1: It has access the good physical STAB moves.
2: Hitmonchan sucks in FRLG cause all its moves are Special.
3: It looks so much cooler and doesn't look special.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
I've honestly always found both Pokemon to be kinda odd, yet interesting at the same time. I've never actually used either on my main team, as you got them so late in the game, and I've just never had the patience to train up Pokemon you get at a significantly lower level than the rest of your team, so yeah :p So I kinda fluctuated between the two, because I didn't really take into account which was the better, and I never really made any favourites between them either. I reckon I'd usually choose Hitmonchan though, because I honestly found Hitmonlee to be kinda creepy looking, and well, Hitmonchan looked a lot more normal. But I digress.

I know that Hitmonlee would honestly be the best choice for a Pokemon you're gonna use in battles, seeing as Hitmonchan has always been all about its elemental punches, which served of no use before Gen IV, so yeah. If I were ever to use one, I'd definitely go with Hitmonlee :p

Lesqx

eRepublik Player
Years
I always pick Hitmonlee because its stronger, looks better, better moves, and Hitmonlee is the one of the best fighting pokemon for me.

TouretteUnicorn

Professionally unprofessional
Years
Definitely Hitmonlee. While I like Hitmonchan all the same, I find Hitmonlee more desirable in appearance. Not to mention, its move set provides an overall good layout when playing through FRLG.

Back