• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon CrystalDust [v3 PUBLIC ALPHA]

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Since this hack is supposed to be very authentic, I'm just curious, but why are you using Kanto trees in Johto? G/S/C had taller, pointer trees for Johto, and Kanto just used the exact tree tiles from the Japanese Red & Green versions.

To make it more "authentic", I think you should use a custom tree for Johto, and then use the FR/LG trees for Kanto.

helmy96

Now planning a hack, nid help
Years
Another crystal remake! Finish this and let's play liquid crystal as well and compare them :D Love how you stayed true to the game!

Sierraffinity

Years
Since this hack is supposed to be very authentic, I'm just curious, but why are you using Kanto trees in Johto? G/S/C had taller, pointer trees for Johto, and Kanto just used the exact tree tiles from the Japanese Red & Green versions.

To make it more "authentic", I think you should use a custom tree for Johto, and then use the FR/LG trees for Kanto.
Well, I'd like a lot of things to look different in Johto, but when I asked for a tiler to see what they could do (because current public tiles aren't what I'm looking for) nobody stepped up/suggested what I needed. When I can get nice, FireRed-styled Johto tiles, then I will certainly insert them.
Another crystal remake! Finish this and let's play liquid crystal as well and compare them :D Love how you stayed true to the game!
Thank you! Glad you like it!

Years
Hey! Been long time...
Why the dragonair in blackthorn city(house with old lady) stays still like a doll... It doesnt face at u when talked from other sides...
I found all the weekly siblings except for Santos of saturday... I looked everywhere in blackthorn city but he is just not there...
Anyway still great hack & desparately waiting for the next beta... Keep us updating if u r working on it...

Years
Hi! I found a mistake when you walk around the Tin Tower, you can walk through between the trees and the left side of the tower.

I anxiously expect the next beta (and I hope I don't have to erase my sav. hahaha)

Years
Hi! I think you should use the battle tower building either from ruby/sapphire or emerald because the current building that you are using resembles a trainer tower of firered which is not a battle tower...
Battle tower in R/S/E,HG/SS,D/P/Pt are similar as Game freak intended it to be... Battle tower & trainer tower from fired are two separate towers...

Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2016
Hello,

I downloaded the most recent beta a few days ago and immediately fell in love. This is one of the best made hacks I have ever seen. I just finished reading the thread and wanted to report to you how great this is. I am currently in Ice Path and in no hurry to finish the beta anytime soon.

The Pokegear is great, the day/night system is good, everything is spot on to Crystal (except for the Headbutt trees lacking the entire list of Pokemon they should have ;_; oh well). I have no complaints other than the Phone Card not working, but I have faith in your ability to fix that in the future.

You've said you're looking for a tile maker, and nobody has really stepped up. Well, although I have very little experience making tiles specifically, I know my way around some image editing programs and am a quick study, so I would be willing to help. If you're interested, send me a PM and we can discuss. Although I will admit I didn't really notice anything too terribly similar to the Kanto region from FireRed other than the trees, but that's probably because I'm not terribly observant.

I also wanted to thank you for making your XSE tutorial way back whenever you made it. It has really helped me a lot in my own hacking endeavors (limited as they may be currently) and I appreciate it a lot.

Great hack, and I'm really looking forward to another beta, and eventually the full release. If you want or need any help I would be fully willing to provide my services, I've done a bit of hacking and am currently (passively) working on a hack of my own.

Sierraffinity

Years
Hey! Been long time...
Why the dragonair in blackthorn city(house with old lady) stays still like a doll... It doesnt face at u when talked from other sides...
I found all the weekly siblings except for Santos of saturday... I looked everywhere in blackthorn city but he is just not there...
Anyway still great hack & desparately waiting for the next beta... Keep us updating if u r working on it...
Santos of Saturday should be on the other side of the right-hand ledge under the gym. The bug has been fixed and uploaded.
Hi! I found a mistake when you walk around the Tin Tower, you can walk through between the trees and the left side of the tower.

I anxiously expect the next beta (and I hope I don't have to erase my sav. hahaha)
Fixed and uploaded. Just letting you know, you'll probably have to restart because I'm constantly adding flags and variables to be set before the game starts.
Hi! I think you should use the battle tower building either from ruby/sapphire or emerald because the current building that you are using resembles a trainer tower of firered which is not a battle tower...
Battle tower in R/S/E,HG/SS,D/P/Pt are similar as Game freak intended it to be... Battle tower & trainer tower from fired are two separate towers...
Well, I would use the tiles for the Battle Tower, but they don't fit with FireRed's graphical style.
Hello,

I downloaded the most recent beta a few days ago and immediately fell in love. This is one of the best made hacks I have ever seen. I just finished reading the thread and wanted to report to you how great this is. I am currently in Ice Path and in no hurry to finish the beta anytime soon.

The Pokegear is great, the day/night system is good, everything is spot on to Crystal (except for the Headbutt trees lacking the entire list of Pokemon they should have ;_; oh well). I have no complaints other than the Phone Card not working, but I have faith in your ability to fix that in the future.

You've said you're looking for a tile maker, and nobody has really stepped up. Well, although I have very little experience making tiles specifically, I know my way around some image editing programs and am a quick study, so I would be willing to help. If you're interested, send me a PM and we can discuss. Although I will admit I didn't really notice anything too terribly similar to the Kanto region from FireRed other than the trees, but that's probably because I'm not terribly observant.

I also wanted to thank you for making your XSE tutorial way back whenever you made it. It has really helped me a lot in my own hacking endeavors (limited as they may be currently) and I appreciate it a lot.

Great hack, and I'm really looking forward to another beta, and eventually the full release. If you want or need any help I would be fully willing to provide my services, I've done a bit of hacking and am currently (passively) working on a hack of my own.
Thanks for the offer and praise! As an example of your ability, can you send me trees that are in the FireRed style of graphics but resemble the trees from GSC? They need to be as big as FireRed's trees too.

Whispeon

Newfound Ghosttype Eeveelution
Years
Absolutely fantastic. The best Crystal remake I've ever played! (well, the first, too, but that's not important)

I've found a couple of hitches along the way. They aren't hugely important, but it will help make the game a little better:
-You got Entei and Raikou's cries the wrong way round when you release the dogs from the burned tower.
-In the house on the route to the League (forgot which route it is), if you click the radio, it says something about books instead.

Also, I would maybe suggest putting the Pokémon Contest hall where the Pokéatholon is in HGSS (although considering you want Johto to be pretty much the same as it is in Crystal, I'd imagine something like this would go on one of the Sevii Islands.

Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2016
Thanks for the offer and praise! As an example of your ability, can you send me trees that are in the FireRed style of graphics but resemble the trees from GSC? They need to be as big as FireRed's trees too.
I'm working on this now, and I've basically finished except for the coloring, which I find is the hardest part of spriting. But as soon as I'm finished I will PM you the image.

Mr. Black

Master Of Reality
Years
I love this hack !!!! It's great! But one of the things i don't like very much is the tiles...Why ????? Why did you use FR/LG tiles in an emerald hack ? ( since emerald's tileset is awesome) . Other than that the hack looks good.I'll play it when it's finished ;) oh and this game will be a 100% remake of crystal right ? or it will have a post game quest ? ( like liquid crystal has orange islands ) And finally, is beta 3 the final one ?

Last edited:

sir.euge

Bunchies Back!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 17, 2012
Lemme make you feel good! This game feels very authentic and true to the Johto region. Lovin' it!

Lugiaz Soul

I support Crystal Dust
Years
I can't believe I still haven't finished the game! I had like a bunch of screenies saved on my phone with some wall glitches but they got erased. So far, so good!

Years
  • Seen Nov 1, 2020
awesome work man !! i havent play the hack yet, i'll wait the final version but, i have just few questions:
1. How i can rematch the trainers ? (like in emerald or like in red fire?)
2. what did u do for the pokmn which evolve by trading ?
3. will be there all pokemon until the third gen ?
4. the moves will have a distinction from physical and special or will be like the other game until the third gen ?
sorry hope u understand my english s bad ;)

Last edited:
Years
It's a really small detail, but in the battle towerm the trainers have Hoenn pokémon... (I really hate 3rd gen pokémon xD), shouldn't it be only Kanto/Johto Pokémon?

awesome work man !! i havent play the hack yet, i'll wait the final version but, i have just few questions:
4. the moves will have a distinction from physical and special or will be like the other game until the third gen ?

1. You cannot rematch them (yet).
2. You have to guess. ;D
3. (I'll let the creator answer that - I hope not xD)
4. (I'll let the creator answer that)

Last edited:

Sierraffinity

Years
Absolutely fantastic. The best Crystal remake I've ever played! (well, the first, too, but that's not important)

I've found a couple of hitches along the way. They aren't hugely important, but it will help make the game a little better:
-You got Entei and Raikou's cries the wrong way round when you release the dogs from the burned tower.
-In the house on the route to the League (forgot which route it is), if you click the radio, it says something about books instead.

Also, I would maybe suggest putting the Pokémon Contest hall where the Pokéatholon is in HGSS (although considering you want Johto to be pretty much the same as it is in Crystal, I'd imagine something like this would go on one of the Sevii Islands.
Thanks for the comments! The two bugs you've mentioned have been fixed and the patch has been uploaded. Also, I am planning on putting the Contest Gall on one of the Islands.
I'm working on this now, and I've basically finished except for the coloring, which I find is the hardest part of spriting. But as soon as I'm finished I will PM you the image.
Thanks! Can't wait to see your work!
I love this hack !!!! It's great! But one of the things i don't like very much is the tiles...Why ????? Why did you use FR/LG tiles in an emerald hack ? ( since emerald's tileset is awesome) . Other than that the hack looks good.I'll play it when it's finished ;) oh and this game will be a 100% remake of crystal right ? or it will have a post game quest ? ( like liquid crystal has orange islands ) And finally, is beta 3 the final one ?
The reason I used FR/LG styled graphics is because, personally, I dislike RSE's graphical style. I much prefer FR/LG's style to it. Also, CrystalDust will have a post-game quest that takes place in the Sevii Isles. No, Beta 3 won't be the final beta.
Lemme make you feel good! This game feels very authentic and true to the Johto region. Lovin' it!
Thanks for the praise!
I can't believe I still haven't finished the game! I had like a bunch of screenies saved on my phone with some wall glitches but they got erased. So far, so good!
Wow, you still haven't finished it? Haha, maybe you should get to doing that? And wall glitches?
1. You can't, not yet.
2. I changed their evolutions to ones available in-game. Find out what they are!
3. There will be Pokémon from the third gen, at least in the Sevii Isles.
4. No, the Physical/Special split will not be in this hack.
Thanks for the post!

It's a really small detail, but in the battle towerm the trainers have Hoenn pokémon... (I really hate 3rd gen pokémon xD), shouldn't it be only Kanto/Johto Pokémon?

1. You cannot rematch them (yet).
2. You have to guess. ;D
3. (I'll let the creator answer that - I hope not xD)
4. (I'll let the creator answer that)
Well, the Battle Tower is still unfinished. I just basically made it playable for anyone who wanted to battle in it - I didn't refine it.

Last edited:
Back