• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RM2K/3 Pokemon Battle System

Are you planning on using the battle sys in your game?

• Yes

Votes: 88 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 23 16.1%
  • Not sure yet...

Votes: 21 14.7%
  • I don't care

Votes: 11 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
The damage formula and HP formula work perfectly.
The other statistics (spec.attk etc) I'm not sure of.
The results seem weird with low level pokemon. (You
have to divide by 50 in one of the sums!)

zephadus

Trainer upset about # of PKMN
Years
About Credit

You guys probably don't need to worry as long as there are still people like me out there in the world.
I'm not exactly a goody-goody, but I always give credit where credit is due.
Maybe you could do something like in RPG Maker 95+?
Whenever you got experience (or was it going up a level? ...meh.) it would say:
"thanks to [so-and-so]!" after saying "Fess gained a level".
Maybe this was in early RM2K? I'm almost positive it was 95+, though.
Anyway, what I'm thinking, is if you absolutely have to "protect" your credit,
you could put your names somewhere invisible.
Say you use the standard white background (like in red/blue)...

Have the background color as:
R:255
G:255
B:255
(white)

and have your names as:
R:250
G:250
B:250
(slightly off-white)

Invisible to the naked eye, but easily proven by color-filling the pure white.
For all the letters to show up correctly, there would need to be "breaks", though. That way the color-fill can access the area in the top of "R" or inside "O".

Anyway, that's only if you HAVE-TO-have-to.
I highly doubt you'll need to.
Besides, if anyone DOES claim to have made it,
eventually, they'll get caught in their lie.
Someone will as them to make something simple like day/night or something,
and they'll be like: "Uhh... I... Donno... How?" :nervous:
Then everyone will hate them, and that will be that. lol
(or, you know, they could just say: "why should I tell you?"... but eventually, people will just start to hate them anyway for being so mean.)

Later!;)

Last edited:

zephadus

Years
Just Tested The Battle System

Man, I REALLY hope those aren't the graphics you plan to use permanently...
The letters on the naming screen that say "YOUR NAME?" are stretched, and look horrible, and there's a glitch where if you press the action key during the part where it says "\n[1] uses TACKLE!", it will bring up the "move selection box" (where you select Tackle).
I should hope this will be changed, as well as keeping the character from showing up during name input and battle and such.

If you guys need any help with... Say... The graphics, or other various things, like no character (as mentioned above), be sure to let me know!
Just for the sake of my enjoyment, I'm now going to edit the name input screen panorama so it's not all funny-looking. lol

Note:
I would have edited last post, but that post is entirely about credit,
whereas this post is about the CBS.

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
About the credit, people are going to steal it, which was part of our decision of whether or not to distribute the system to all. We might as well water-down any conflict- we only have to worry about people taking credit for it, like you said. Yeah, we gotta find a creative way to put our names on it. I'll think about it, but I don't think your idea will work because the background is stripped and the system won't be as popular if we're not up-to-date with it.

First, the letters don't look stretched at all. Second, I'm aware of that glitch, but I'm going to leave it to Meerkat to fix ;)

Sure, you can help out with whatever you want. You can maybe attatch the graphics here if you want, and Meerkat will add them (he has the game, but won't be around for a few weeks). Sound good? I'll add you to the list?

zephadus

Years
DarkMage31 said:
About the credit, people are going to steal it, which was part of our decision of whether or not to distribute the system to all. We might as well water-down any conflict- we only have to worry about people taking credit for it, like you said. Yeah, we gotta find a creative way to put our names on it. I'll think about it, but I don't think your idea will work because the background is stripped and the system won't be as popular if we're not up-to-date with it.

First, the letters don't look stretched at all. Second, I'm aware of that glitch, but I'm going to leave it to Meerkat to fix ;)

Sure, you can help out with whatever you want. You can maybe attatch the graphics here if you want, and Meerkat will add them (he has the game, but won't be around for a few weeks). Sound good? I'll add you to the list?
Sounds good, DM!

I attached 2 pics to show you what I meant by "stretched".
A better term would have been "distorted" or "oversized pixel error".
Anyway, I attached the original and my edit, which is obviously the one with "(zeph)" in it. lol

You can go here to see another "enhancement" of mine.

Last edited:

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
Hm, I see what you mean. I can go either way though. Yours is more clean-cut, but Meerkat's may be a rip. If we are trying to replicate, I think we're better off with the rip. If it's not official, I guess we use yours :D

zephadus

Years
I think it's a rip, or rather a pieced together pic made of rips.
Either way it's a rip.
The widened pixels are a result of stretching the picture to fit RPG Maker's resolution of 320x240, so both of those pictures are actually equally authentic.
Funny, isn't it?
I also made an animated GIF showing how you can hide your names.
Obviously, it won't do that in-game.
It will, however, be accessable by color-filling, as mentioned before.
This GIF was just a quick test one, and needs the "leaking" cuts in the letters.
I found my GIF laughable. lol :laugh:
I hope you see the humour in it, too.
The images used in this GIF are by no means final images, of course. Haha.
I just like fooling around with images.
It brings meaning to my life.:laugh:

RM2K3kid

Insane..
Years
I got a few questions about the game big game that we are making. For the maps do you want me to make a brand new region(sounds good to me). If so tell me how many towns, routes, caves and gyms and i'll do the rest.

Sorye HK

Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
The only one with actual formulas is the first link. The second link's only useful for
Base stats. (unless we use the GS formulas) The third link's site I can't reach.

I've sometimes been really frustrated about not having the abillity to give up a battle.
Why don't we add that in? It's just a simple bit of coding. Unless everyone wants to stick with the official system.

rubyrulez

Back in Action...again...
Years
Very, Very good, but how do you plan to expand it's capabilities to include battles against all 386 Pokemon, plus include a capture system, and how will you incorporate this into a game? But still, it's very, very good!

Sorye HK

Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
hey, I think we should only use one map for the whole battle system.
For different pokemon, we can have a switch for each section with different
pokemon, and that switch will activate some random number events, each number
the pokemon you battle with.

how will you incorporate this into a game?

if the whole battle system is done on one map, all we would have to do
is copy that map and maybe some switches and variables if we want to
re-design or update later.

Years
  • Seen Jun 5, 2005
yeah i was wondering the same as Rubyrulez. how are you gonna make the capture system and the damage calculations for every single move against every single type of pokemon. it sounds like there is a long way to go.

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
In regard to what all of you have been saying:

The capture system is easy. I've got that all scripted out in Pok?mon Lunar, my individual game. The only changes I would make before transferring it over to this project is incorporating the official formulas for the capture probability. Other than that, capturing is no problem.

Damage calculations are easy- we've got all the formulas we could ever want straight from the official games. It simply a matter of applying that to RM2K using variables as each element in the equation.

Yes, one map for the system sounds great. It's just a matter of setting the variables before the battle. That can be done in Common Events, no problems. We can even use different paralax bg's for different settings (cave, forest, grass, etc). Sound good?

As for the rest of the chain, Meerkat has the game, and he's out for 3 weeks total. It's been 2 weeks so far. I don't know what he's done or hasn't done. So I've done little tidbits here and there, nothing major. I don't want to impede on Meerkat's progress. When the system is finished, the project will be passed to the first map designer, who will work closely with the story creator to lay out the maps. It will circulate among the mappers until the layout is all set. Then it will be passed to the event ppl, who will work on the substance of the game. They will also work closely with the story creator so the storyline can be implimented with the events. Then the Common Event people finish it off with weather, blinking, day and night, and all that fun stuff.

Sound like a plan?

rubyrulez

Back in Action...again...
Years
Sounds perfect, this battle system will lead to great things in the future! Good Luck to you and everyone working on this new system!

RM2K3kid

Insane..
Years
Hey DM you made that last bit sound so professional wich I like and it sounds like we have a plan, so I can't wait to get to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back