The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 4th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
When Pauline Tantost was kicked off a Montreal city bus last week for not paying her fare with exact change, she was shocked. And then a transit inspector handed her a ticket with a $219 fine for not paying her fare.

With her two-year-old son, Xavier, in her arms, she had boarded the 108 Bannantyne bus home to Verdun around 10 p.m. after having spent five hours at the Montreal Children’s Hospital. She boarded the vehicle near Atwater Avenue and Ste-Catherine Street West.

She searched through her purse for $3 in change for the fare, but only came up with a $5 bill. She said she offered it to the driver, who refused because the fare machine doesn’t accept bills.

He warned her that failure to pay a fare could be bad news if the bus was to get inspected. Then the bus took off with Tantost and her son on board, while she clutched the $5 in her hand.

Two inspectors boarded the bus in Verdun at Bannantyne Street and Fourth Avenue, several stops before Tantost’s home. An employee of the STM later told her that it was purely a coincidence that the bus was inspected.

“I find that suspicious,” Tantost said.

A passenger on the bus, Darlene Cousins-Larsen, said one inspector entered the bus by the front door while another boarded through the back.

“They went right to the woman who was sitting behind the bus driver with the child. She had to get off the bus,” Cousins-Larsen said.

She said another woman on the bus with an invalid ticket was given a warning.

Cousins-Larsen approached the bus driver and offered to pay the woman’s fare, but was shrugged off by the driver and inspectors.

“He said, ‘No no, it's OK, it's free.’ And I thought, ‘Oh, OK, they were just giving her a warning,’” she said.

Instead, Tantost was handed a $219 fine for not paying her fare.

Embarrassed, she got off the bus with her son and stood on the sidewalk in tears. She walked the rest of the way home.

“I think they showed a lack of humanity and a lack of kindness,” she said.

Tantost said she told the inspectors she would contest the fine, words that according to her were met with a laugh and a comment about how the only benefit of that would be the overtime the STM employee treating the file would earn.

The STM declined to comment.
So basically, if you can't pay with pocket change, you can't get on the bus. Whereas most functioning buses in this country accept cash and change. How old are these buses? Like really. Do you think it was pure coincidence that those inspectors came on the bus and ended up fining her? Do you think it was acceptable to give her a ticket on her first offence? Was it more than odd that the bus driver couldn't accept cash even though a large majority of people these days carry cash and not change as to not weigh themselves down? Discuss!

Source

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old August 4th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Arago
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Oh my god. More news articles that make me hate humanity.
Old August 4th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Vital
ignore the whisper

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Vital
That is utterly ridiculous. It'd have been one thing if she didn't have the money at all (which still isn't grounds for such a ridiculous fine), but she did have the cash. I can be convinced into thinking that the inspectors were a coincidence, but given the fact that they allegedly walked right up to the women, I highly doubt that.

I'm basically gonna agree with what Nick implied. Some things people do are extremely stupid. Poor lady, I feel really sorry for her. Is there anything she could do, like appeal?
Old August 4th, 2013, 12:45 PM
The Dark Avenger
Eye-Catching

Nature: Adamant
We don't really know all of the details of this matter. Further, the only information we have if directly from the mother.

For all we know, she regularly rides the bus, and from time-to-time has a 5 ready to give the driver, knowing that the driver can't accept it.

Perhaps the woman who received a warning was a first time offender, and this woman was given a fine since she had a history of not paying for the ticket.

All in all, we can't make an assumption of the wrongdoing of either party involved, despite our initial inclination to feel sympathy for a mother with a young child.

Retrodex Sprites
|D&D Forum|??? (coming soon)
Old August 4th, 2013, 02:00 PM
PureAurorae
Comrade

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to PureAurorae
This is absolutley stupid. What has the world got to these days?
Old August 5th, 2013, 05:50 AM
Silais
Princess of the Law

Nature: Quiet
Stupid, stupid, stupid. Really, a fine that large for not having EXACT change? Sometimes I wonder if the world is worth saving.
Old August 5th, 2013, 06:57 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
If another person of the bus was given only a warning. Then I would assume that this is not the first time this individual has skipped out on bus fare. Definitely more to this.
Old August 5th, 2013, 09:02 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
ah, just like Dan Cummins and the $6 in cash thing.

Old August 6th, 2013, 03:43 AM
Azure Rathalδs
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIFORCE89 View Post
If another person of the bus was given only a warning. Then I would assume that this is not the first time this individual has skipped out on bus fare. Definitely more to this.
Mabye, but this is a wack move that shows how much the bus driver wanted his healthy greens. (I'm referring to money here)
Old August 11th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Plumpyfoof

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Plumpyfoof
I've been in her situation countless times. In Melbourne we have a public transport fare system in place called Myki. You buy a card the size of a credit card, and you "top up" the myki card by pre-paying money for fares and must "touch on" on the myki station on the bus/tram/whatever.

Half the time if you're catching a tram or a bus, there is nowhere for you to top up unless you want to go into town or to a train station.
I have been given two fines (paid none) because I got on a tram at a stop where I couldn't top up, and by the time I had been declined my fare for not having enough, the tram had moved off and the inspectors had not given me any time to get off.

It's all crap and everything should be free forever.
Old August 11th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Leijon
i'll run away with your foot steps
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Can't pay the exact change, instead you give 2 dollars more than the fare, driver refuses to accept coz its not exact, then the woman gets a $200 fine for not paying a $3 fare.

OKAY IM OUT! SEE YOU GUYS WHENEVER HUMANITY COMES BACK! maybe never...

some people these days D<

I'LL BUILD A CITY THAT DREAMS FOR TWO.

#moirails @Marisa @Kimisumi #oras #battleserver #pclive #dailybloggity #theshippingqueensdiary

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links